BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bad Brake Squeak

02-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #45
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
I’ve embraced it, it’s part of my identity now. I might drill some holes in the muffler too.
Now that’s funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 08:58 PM   #46
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
So, we've just drove halfway across the country and are now in Maryland. The temps here are in the 40s and of course the humidity is higher than Colorado...haven't had a brake squeak since we arrived.

Looks like my issue is attributed to cold temps and low humidity or the 1500 mile drive took care of it for me.
And this week we're back in the 20s here in MD and guess what returned...the brake squeal. Goes away after a few hard stops.

Will be moving to TX this summer, so probably won't have to deal with this anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:27 AM   #47
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Yesterday it was about +10F and I heard loud brake squeak on brand new X7 (less than 400 miles on it). The squeak is audible only if you slow down smoothly and disappears after hard break, but then appears again after stopping for a while. Should I be worried and take the car to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #48
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
Yesterday it was about +10F and I heard loud brake squeak on brand new X7 (less than 400 miles on it). The squeak is audible only if you slow down smoothly and disappears after hard break, but then appears again after stopping for a while. Should I be worried and take the car to the dealer?

Sounds the same as what I'm experiencing. After 1-2 hard fast brake maneuvers it goes away until the calipers or whatever cool back down again.

And only happens when I come to nice smooth controlled stops.
When it's above 40* I don't get any more sounds.

Don't think it's anything the dealer can fix or would fix under warranty. I've read some have tried and dealers have replaced pads, but to get a dealer to replace pads and rotors might be a stretch.

Also, not sure if bedding in the brakes helps. I've read conflicting stories.

It's pretty much a vibration issue and it seems at colder temps, the vibration frequency is just right to be very audible. You should listen to it with your windows down. It's extremely loud.
Appreciate 1
ddv200535.50
      02-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #49
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Sounds the same as what I'm experiencing. After 1-2 hard fast brake maneuvers it goes away until the calipers or whatever cool back down again.

And only happens when I come to nice smooth controlled stops.
When it's above 40* I don't get any more sounds.

Don't think it's anything the dealer can fix or would fix under warranty. I've read some have tried and dealers have replaced pads, but to get a dealer to replace pads and rotors might be a stretch.

Also, not sure if bedding in the brakes helps. I've read conflicting stories.

It's pretty much a vibration issue and it seems at colder temps, the vibration frequency is just right to be very audible. You should listen to it with your windows down. It's extremely loud.
Yep, checked with two different dealerships and they refused to do anything about it.

At this point, I could just pay to have the pads replaced but fearing that same OEM pad will lead to noise again?

Alternatively, I can try non OEM pads at an indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 07:08 PM   #50
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
Happens on my 3 year old X7 with M sport brakes every time the weather gets cold. Dealer won't do anything.
Appreciate 1
ddv200535.50
      02-10-2023, 07:01 PM   #51
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

https://thebrakereport.com/m-compoun...d-against-bmw/

Not sure if this applies to X7's as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:44 PM   #52
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
https://thebrakereport.com/m-compoun...d-against-bmw/

Not sure if this applies to X7's as well?
Probably not. M Compound brakes are on M cars. Different than M Sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:12 AM   #53
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Probably not. M Compound brakes are on M cars. Different than M Sport brakes.
You didn't get the memo...the X7 is an M car according to the UK and German build sites. lol
Appreciate 1
Young04688.50
      02-11-2023, 08:20 AM   #54
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You didn't get the memo...the X7 is an M car according to the UK and German build sites. lol
You know...their marketing is working. Not that long ago, in one of the Facebook groups for the i4 (my wife has one), I was totally outnumbered by people saying that the i4 M50 was a genuine M car. I was made out to be the idiot. It reminded me of a time in middle school when I was surrounded by a group of idiots who thought that "alot" was correct and "a lot" was incorrect and I was ridiculed as the dumbass.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #55
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You know...their marketing is working. Not that long ago, in one of the Facebook groups for the i4 (my wife has one), I was totally outnumbered by people saying that the i4 M50 was a genuine M car. I was made out to be the idiot. It reminded me of a time in middle school when I was surrounded by a group of idiots who thought that "alot" was correct and "a lot" was incorrect and I was ridiculed as the dumbass.
Yeah, there's a few X7 threads around the same topic. One started out with god intentions, but then went south really quick.

Thought another thread was going to head down the "X7 is an M" car as well, but it didn't gain any traction.

BMW marketing is confusing especially for those new to BMW and may not know about the actual M cars if one isn't on the showroom floor. They just see M on the badging and make assumptions which is fine I guess...it's just when they get a doctorate in google searching and won't back down.

I do appreciate the new engine in the X7 LCI, but it's far from an M car and never should be made into one.
Appreciate 1
Young04688.50
      02-11-2023, 08:21 PM   #56
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Today, at my second home (the hockey rink) an X6 M50 was parked next to me. The owner happened to be there as we were leaving. Simply says to me “you’re brakes squeak?”.

I laughed and we shared videos of our school busses coming to god awful stops. He indicated that his dealer, which is oddly also mine (well out of my way, which is why it’s odd), offered to fix the pads. Maybe I’ll ask when I get my winters swapped out.

Until then… #$100khooptie
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #57
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oddly, or perhaps timely, I received an alert on the app and I assume it’s in iDrive as well. I’m low on gas, so don’t know if the “hazard” light in the dash will stay lit after I fill.

Says I need rear pads in 1243 miles. I just crossed 44k. Does anyone know if this tripped by a mileage threshold or a physical sensor. And just rear, which is more odd. Nothing about front.

Squeak seems to be from the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #58
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oddly, or perhaps timely, I received an alert on the app and I assume it’s in iDrive as well. I’m low on gas, so don’t know if the “hazard” light in the dash will stay lit after I fill.

Says I need rear pads in 1243 miles. I just crossed 44k. Does anyone know if this tripped by a mileage threshold or a physical sensor. And just rear, which is more odd. Nothing about front.

Squeak seems to be from the front.
Physical sensor. 44K is good. Mine went at 18K miles. And rears go first on BMWs typically.

Fronts are more likely to squeal for a number of reasons but size of pads and rotors have a lot to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:51 PM   #59
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Physical sensor. 44K is good. Mine went at 18K miles. And rears go first on BMWs typically.

Fronts are more likely to squeal for a number of reasons but size of pads and rotors have a lot to do with it.
Thanks. Any shot the dealer will install aftermarket pads? I’ll get all 4 done.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #60
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Any shot the dealer will install aftermarket pads? I’ll get all 4 done.
Depends on the dealer. But I've had mine install aftermarket pads on an M4. Just an FYI - they'll very likely say you need new rotors too.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #61
ApexTK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2024 M440ix GC

So I started getting the dreaded low brake speed squealing about two months ago ('21 X7 m50i, roughly 30K miles) and took it to the dealer to have the pads changed because they indicated in the last service that they were okay then but would have to change at the next service. Figured the low brake pad metal indicators was doing their thing because it sure sounded like it with the windows down! Wow is it embarrassingly loud and they were coming from both front rotors. Had the kids and wife stand outside while I applied the brake.

They checked and they indicated the pads were still okay. Another of the SA (Seems like the lead) heard what I was saying and chimed in. Said that during the colder months the brake pad dust tends to stay between the rotor and pad....and thus the squeal. He asked did you notice that your wheels don't get as dusty during the cold weather. (Which I do notice that my wheels are not as dusty as the summer time.) He also indicated that if you take a water hose to brakes and the squeal should go away but he also knows who is going to do that in the winter months. Something you have to live with....I guess.

However I do know I did not experience this squeal last winter, so my guess is the adhesive behind the pad has stopped working and thus the brake squeal. Has this adhesive pad mentioned in earlier post replaced the old metal brake shim that was between the brake pad and brake piston? If so if it is not broken....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 08:20 AM   #62
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone tried bedding in procedure? I believe I read it doesn't help our situation but was curious. I am sure it helps for awhile until brakes cool down again?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:03 PM   #63
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Has anyone tried bedding in procedure? I believe I read it doesn't help our situation but was curious. I am sure it helps for awhile until brakes cool down again?
It's worth a try since it's easy to do. You live in the suburbs, go out onto a 45-55 mph limit street at night when the roads are clear and do a couple of max brake pressure 60-0 mph stops.

I used to have squeal when coming to a stop when my car was new. Last fall/winter I ended up doing the bed in as described above, not because I was trying to fix the brake noise, it happened as a side effect one night when I was trying to get a feel of how the car handled in snow. Later on in the winter, one day I suddenly realized that my brakes didn't make noise anymore. Not sure if the bed in was what solved the issue or if it was something else, but my car no longer has the issue. The noise is still there but 90% reduced, you have to turn off music and actively listen for it otherwise you won't notice the sound.
Appreciate 1
sbkim58.50
      03-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #64
Young04
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
It's worth a try since it's easy to do. You live in the suburbs, go out onto a 45-55 mph limit street at night when the roads are clear and do a couple of max brake pressure 60-0 mph stops.

I used to have squeal when coming to a stop when my car was new. Last fall/winter I ended up doing the bed in as described above, not because I was trying to fix the brake noise, it happened as a side effect one night when I was trying to get a feel of how the car handled in snow. Later on in the winter, one day I suddenly realized that my brakes didn't make noise anymore. Not sure if the bed in was what solved the issue or if it was something else, but my car no longer has the issue. The noise is still there but 90% reduced, you have to turn off music and actively listen for it otherwise you won't notice the sound.
Have you tried to bed in again? No rule against doing it more than once. Whatever noise is left may be caused by a slight mismatch in the pad/rotors. You can "force" a match by bedding. I suspect that with the X7, this is what is causing the noise for most people.

In BMW's full-fat M cars, they use pads with higher iron content. The dust becomes embedded in the rotors and harmonizes when the brakes are used. In this case, bedding will usually only temporarily stop the squeal (I know from experience!!). However, I think that this would only apply to M compound brakes and not the M sport brakes that some X7s have.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 02:18 PM   #65
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update, had all 4 rotors and pads replaced. Since my last post I had the dash light “brake” come on, in addition to the service reminder.

My pads were quite low. Ironically, my wife’s light came on too, so I got hit with 8 new sets. Yikes! And I have to replace her summer tires when the winters are swapped in a couple weeks.

I guess a few years of not paying for any service catches up to you.

I wish Amex would offer 5x points on auto service, ha.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:10 AM   #66
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just an update, had all 4 rotors and pads replaced. Since my last post I had the dash light “brake” come on, in addition to the service reminder.

My pads were quite low. Ironically, my wife’s light came on too, so I got hit with 8 new sets. Yikes! And I have to replace her summer tires when the winters are swapped in a couple weeks.

I guess a few years of not paying for any service catches up to you.

I wish Amex would offer 5x points on auto service, ha.
Any noise with the new pads/rotors?
Appreciate 0