E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange Error in ISTA

08-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Strange Error in ISTA

Has anyone ever seen -1 for mileage for stored errors? What does this mean?

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

The mileages in the fault memory list of ISTA are wildly inconsistent even in the latest version. Don't take any notice of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfratamico View Post
Has anyone ever seen -1 for mileage for stored errors? What does this mean?
Note that all the fault codes relate to NO Communication, with PT-CAN & K-CAN bus BOTH affected. When there was NO Bus communication, how could it get an Odometer value to enter there? So it enters a "default -1". I've just started using ISTA+ (BimmerGeeks-linked Mega Download), and although I have NOT seen "-1" appear as a Mileage/km Fault Detail/FF Value, I HAVE seen "-1" appear for the Fault Frequency when there was a Bus fault.

That's just my theory, and NOT based upon any official BMW reference or training.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Note that all the fault codes relate to NO Communication, with PT-CAN & K-CAN bus BOTH affected. When there was NO Bus communication, how could it get an Odometer value to enter there? So it enters a "default -1". I've just started using ISTA+ (BimmerGeeks-linked Mega Download), and although I have NOT seen "-1" appear as a Mileage/km Fault Detail/FF Value, I HAVE seen "-1" appear for the Fault Frequency when there was a Bus fault.

That's just my theory, and NOT based upon any official BMW reference or training.

George
George, any idea why ISTA cannot communicate with some modules? The car runs fine and there are no errors stored other than the communication ones. I've been trying to diagnose this and what I've discovered is it might be related to a CAN bus fault or a bad battery. Any idea what I can check? It seems to be different modules every time I scan.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfratamico View Post
George, any idea why ISTA cannot communicate with some modules? The car runs fine and there are no errors stored other than the communication ones. I've been trying to diagnose this and what I've discovered is it might be related to a CAN bus fault or a bad battery. Any idea what I can check? It seems to be different modules every time I scan.
High likelihood your K+DCAN Port Settings need resetting to COM Port 1, Latency 1. See below for details & attachment for procedure.

Ever use INPA? If you can use ISTA, you MUST have a working INPA installation. Reason I ask, is that INPA gives MORE information about any connection faults than ISTA, or at least I have used it more than ISTA, and have seen fault messages when it cannot "Connect" to a particular Module. When you connect to an individual Module using INPA, say VGSG Transfer Case Module, when you select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher), if there are any Fault Codes Saved, it will give you details such as the "Frequency" or number of times the code has been set, and the Odometer reading (in km) of the last three occasions of such a fault.

Try opening INPA, selecting "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox which appears after selecting "E90", and then select F2 Identification. That should give you a List of ALL (~ 20) Modules in your vehicle. If the list is much shorter, or modules you KNOW you have, such as VGSG (Transfer Case), do NOT appear in the list, press F2 again or even a third time. If additional modules appear with repeated F2 presses, your COM port & Latency settings are likely NOT "1". If any questions on HOW to set those, please see below, or ask.

Same for ISTA. If the "Control Unit Tree" shows varying numbers/identities of modules when that or "Control Unit List" are selected, after connecting to the vehicle, then likely the issue is with your Cable Connection or COM port Settings. It would be VERY unusual for Bus connections to "come & go" randomly. To eliminate as many variables as possible, test INPA/ISTA connections with the Network or with various individual Modules with Ignition ON but engine OFF. If you have a battery charger, attach that to Jumpstart Terminals under the hood and have it on 6-Amp or 10-Amp charge rate while you have igntion ON.

BTW, I can't get ISTA to recognize any of the "S" faults you show. I don't know, but my GUESS is that is NOT a Fault Code actually saved in any of the 7 Modules shown in your attached screen, but RATHER, it merely indicates that ISTA is UNABLE to determine if any of those 7 modules have faults saved in memory or NOT, 'cuz it can't communicate with those modules. If you press the "[Identfication Without Vehicle Test]" button instead of "[Complete Identification]" button at bottom right of screen when connecting at "Read Out Vehicle Data" Tab, you should just get the Control Unit Tree, WITHOUT a "Fault Memory" List. When you DO select "Control Unit Tree" tab after connected to vehicle, you should see a complete list of ALL modules in the Vehicle, with ANY Modules with which ISTA cannot communicate, shown in RED, those with Fault in Yellow, and those with NO Faults in Green.

We could ALL learn more about INPA or ISTA if you attach ScreenPrints of your INPA or ISTA screens, as those allow US to see what YOU see. The attached pdf, INPA Tutorial Quickstart shows sample INPA Screens (Functional Jobs), describes HOW to view them, HOW to save ScreenPrints as jpg files you can attach here, and HOW to set your K+DCAN Cable COM settings to "COM 1" & "Latency 1". Windows Updates have been known to change those settings, so ALWAYS recheck them if you have weird performance of either INPA or ISTA.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 72 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
High likelihood your K+DCAN Port Settings need resetting to COM Port 1, Latency 1. See below for details & attachment for procedure.

Ever use INPA? If you can use ISTA, you MUST have a working INPA installation. Reason I ask, is that INPA gives MORE information about any connection faults than ISTA, or at least I have used it more than ISTA, and have seen fault messages when it cannot "Connect" to a particular Module. When you connect to an individual Module using INPA, say VGSG Transfer Case Module, when you select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher), if there are any Fault Codes Saved, it will give you details such as the "Frequency" or number of times the code has been set, and the Odometer reading (in km) of the last three occasions of such a fault.

Try opening INPA, selecting "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox which appears after selecting "E90", and then select F2 Identification. That should give you a List of ALL (~ 20) Modules in your vehicle. If the list is much shorter, or modules you KNOW you have, such as VGSG (Transfer Case), do NOT appear in the list, press F2 again or even a third time. If additional modules appear with repeated F2 presses, your COM port & Latency settings are likely NOT "1". If any questions on HOW to set those, please see below, or ask.

Same for ISTA. If the "Control Unit Tree" shows varying numbers/identities of modules when that or "Control Unit List" are selected, after connecting to the vehicle, then likely the issue is with your Cable Connection or COM port Settings. It would be VERY unusual for Bus connections to "come & go" randomly. To eliminate as many variables as possible, test INPA/ISTA connections with the Network or with various individual Modules with Ignition ON but engine OFF. If you have a battery charger, attach that to Jumpstart Terminals under the hood and have it on 6-Amp or 10-Amp charge rate while you have igntion ON.

BTW, I can't get ISTA to recognize any of the "S" faults you show. I don't know, but my GUESS is that is NOT a Fault Code actually saved in any of the 7 Modules shown in your attached screen, but RATHER, it merely indicates that ISTA is UNABLE to determine if any of those 7 modules have faults saved in memory or NOT, 'cuz it can't communicate with those modules. If you press the "[Identfication Without Vehicle Test]" button instead of "[Complete Identification]" button at bottom right of screen when connecting at "Read Out Vehicle Data" Tab, you should just get the Control Unit Tree, WITHOUT a "Fault Memory" List. When you DO select "Control Unit Tree" tab after connected to vehicle, you should see a complete list of ALL modules in the Vehicle, with ANY Modules with which ISTA cannot communicate, shown in RED, those with Fault in Yellow, and those with NO Faults in Green.

We could ALL learn more about INPA or ISTA if you attach ScreenPrints of your INPA or ISTA screens, as those allow US to see what YOU see. The attached pdf, INPA Tutorial Quickstart shows sample INPA Screens (Functional Jobs), describes HOW to view them, HOW to save ScreenPrints as jpg files you can attach here, and HOW to set your K+DCAN Cable COM settings to "COM 1" & "Latency 1". Windows Updates have been known to change those settings, so ALWAYS recheck them if you have weird performance of either INPA or ISTA.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Thanks for the thorough response! I will definitely try scanning this week and provide some screenshots. I do use INPA, but I have other issues with that app. I get API errors every second and I need to keep clicking on Yes. Every time I do, something new comes up on the screen if I have let's say the analog values for gearbox displayed. I am using Windows 10 64-bit, not sure if it needs to be 32-bit to allow the scripts to work properly. I will also check the COM settings, but I feel as if the COM port was wrong, it would flat out not identify my car or show up in INPA. It most likely would be a latency issue.

As far as ISTA, when the complete identification finishes, I sometimes see all the modules in my car (~20), but lately I am only seeing a select few of them, 3 of which do not respond.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

ALL sounds like COM 1, Latency 1 setting will correct. I have TWO Windows 10 64-bit laptops running INPA & ISTA without issue, AS LONG AS Windows Updates doesn't reset settings (which has happened several times over last year+). Then (with WRONG Settings) INPA "Stops" instead of running, I have to press Function key repeatedly, "Yes" button to continue Script, etc.

I've ONLY been using ISTA for several weeks, and have NOT seen similar issue with it ('cuz I have NOT had incorrect COM settings in last month), but I would expect similar behavior from ISTA if Cable Communication settings were "Altered".

George
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Don't know if anybody has asked but since you have a 335
Do you have aftermarket tunes on your Engine.
Because they are known to stop stock diagnostics from working.

If they have multiple maps sometimes they have a 0 map that allows
the Inpa / Ista stuff to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Don't know if anybody has asked but since you have a 335
Do you have aftermarket tunes on your Engine.
Because they are known to stop stock diagnostics from working.

If they have multiple maps sometimes they have a 0 map that allows
the Inpa / Ista stuff to work.
Thanks for checking. I don't have any tunes on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
ALL sounds like COM 1, Latency 1 setting will correct. I have TWO Windows 10 64-bit laptops running INPA & ISTA without issue, AS LONG AS Windows Updates doesn't reset settings (which has happened several times over last year+). Then (with WRONG Settings) INPA "Stops" instead of running, I have to press Function key repeatedly, "Yes" button to continue Script, etc.

I've ONLY been using ISTA for several weeks, and have NOT seen similar issue with it ('cuz I have NOT had incorrect COM settings in last month), but I would expect similar behavior from ISTA if Cable Communication settings were "Altered".

George
So you're saying that a Windows Update could have changed your COM settings? I have upgraded to newer Windows builds on my device, so it's definitely something I should look into. When you receive the API errors needing the constant "Yes" clicks, what fixed that for you? Changing the COM settings?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I have seen my com settings disappear when I haven't used
my setup in awhile . As a result I always check that Inpa is
working first usually by running functional jobs before going
on to the other programs.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Issue is resolved. My COM latency was changed to 10 sec. I set it to 1 sec, no issues now! Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0