BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Audi offering free DC charging for e-tron owners, but there are no stations near me

01-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I got an e-tron in brochure in the mail (they probably targeted me because I drive a 530e). It says that e-tron owners get 1000kWh free charging at Electrify America stations. That's great, but the nearest location is 30 or more miles from me. And I live in a large metropolitan area.

These 250kW charge capable cars (e-tron, Taycan, etc.) sound good, but it appears it will be some time before they have the majority of the population covered. Tesla, on the other hand, has charging stations everywhere. Audi should not be pushing the e-tron's fast charging if recharging stations with that capability barely exist. Anytime I might need a remote charge I would have to wait for a long time. That is not how its advertised (sounds a lot like "clean diesel").
Appreciate 1
Shiza1193.00
      01-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Anytime I might need a remote charge I would have to wait for a long time.
Why would you have to wait? No one is lined up at them.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614894.00
      01-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

no way to charge with fee on Tesla Superchargers?
never used one..
      01-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
That is not how its advertised (sounds a lot like "clean diesel").
The irony is that Electrify America is VW's "penance" for dieselgate! They are just finishing up phase 1 (of 3+ phases) of installations, so their charger network is growing every day.

The best part is that they are using standard connectors, so every other EV can charge there as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
no way to charge with fee on Tesla Superchargers?
never used one..
No, they use a proprietary connector and communications standard limited to Tesla's own vehicles.

If you haven't checked out PlugShare yet, you may be shocked by the number of "hidden" charging opportunities in many areas:

https://www.plugshare.com/
      01-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
These 250kW charge capable cars (e-tron, Taycan, etc.) sound good, but it appears it will be some time before they have the majority of the population covered. Tesla, on the other hand, has charging stations everywhere.
Exactly! It has been said that Tesla really is building a charging network and not interested in selling cars. IDK. I think they are doing both very well.

Did you see that someone from BMW recently said that most EV owners(presumably BMW ?) only charge at home or at work. I think bc finding a charging station that is free(available) and that works with the network you are signed up for... is so hard to use.

Also in this article/interview... BMW said that rapid charging should be used sparingly... only once out of every 20 charge cycles. Otherwise you risk damaging the EV batteries lifr. That is ridiculous.

The charging infrastructure just is not here - yet. Can you imagine what the charging demands will be on our electrical network when EV cars really take off? We will have a Nuclear power plant on every corner!

Lastly... this video is very interesting. I love Harry formerly from EVO Magazine...

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Honestly, the only electric car I would purchase at the moment is a Tesla. I wouldn't even look at the E-tron, iPace or EQC, they just seem severely lacking and incredibly expensive.

Check the E-Tron forums regarding customer experience at Electrify America, it isn't pleasant. Many chargers don't go the advertised rates, plugs are getting stuck in cars, many plugs don't end up working, placement doesn't work with charging location on certain vehicles, and many people have cancelled trips or taken their gas cars because they don't trust their car to make it far enough to a working station (and many don't seem to work properly).

Honestly, other than Tesla's Superchargers, the whole non-Tesla ecosystem for charging seems pretty half baked to me.

One long time Audi owner even wrote a break up letter regarding his poor E-tron experience and lack of support from Audi Corporate. And many of his experiences seem similar to what others have been reporting.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...SpOUL_K8A/edit I know forums typically emphasize issues further to what they actually are, but honestly, the E-Tron just seems like a bit of a failure from Audi, and Electrify America doesn't seem to be helping either.
https://insideevs.com/news/387598/au...ging-concerns/

Last edited by stein_325i; 01-20-2020 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      01-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you see that someone from BMW recently said that most EV owners(presumably BMW ?) only charge at home or at work. I think bc finding a charging station that is free(available) and that works with the network you are signed up for... is so hard to use.
The only time that most owners need to charge away from home/work is when they are on road trips. We have two EV's, a gas car, and a diesel pickup in the driveway. The EV's are logging 97% of all our miles, and both are charging at home every other night.....