BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BimmerCode expert options?

01-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

BimmerCode expert options?

I noticed a ton of different options in BimmerCode for the X7 which are either in German or otherwise unclear. Is there a guide somewhere to what all these various options do?
      01-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Tex_X7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i (Jon Snow)

That is weird...I've used the standard app, and through test flight for beta releases. I've never seen one word in German. Are you using it in iOS? I didn't see any options for language selection. Is it the latest release?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_X7 View Post
That is weird...I've used the standard app, and through test flight for beta releases. I've never seen one word in German. Are you using it in iOS? I didn't see any options for language selection. Is it the latest release?
It is the latest release. And it’s just when you go into expert mode. There are a ton of variables and I have no idea what they control!

Maybe I’ll get a screen grab and post it here as an example.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_X7 View Post
It is the latest release. And it’s just when you go into expert mode. There are a ton of variables and I have no idea what they control!

Maybe I’ll get a screen grab and post it here as an example.
Expert mode provides a more similar experience to what you'd get while coding the vehicle through a computer with dealership / engineering level software. There are coding forums and posts that can answer all of your questions. There are some fun ones in KOMBI that enable the new assisted driving view in 2019 vehicles that shouldn't have it for example.

Be careful in expert mode, the same software runs on lots of BMW's vehicles and changing a setting in German could add or remove a feature / option in the vehicle. It's easy to make a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Expert mode provides a more similar experience to what you'd get while coding the vehicle through a computer with dealership / engineering level software. There are coding forums and posts that can answer all of your questions. There are some fun ones in KOMBI that enable the new assisted driving view in 2019 vehicles that shouldn't have it for example.

Be careful in expert mode, the same software runs on lots of BMW's vehicles and changing a setting in German could add or remove a feature / option in the vehicle. It's easy to make a mistake.
Right and it’s that last part that is the reason for my question! I have to imagine if it’s all listed in Bimmercode then someone must know what changes each. I’m surprised Bimmercode doesn’t at least have a page, or a thread here, that indicates what each of those variables does.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Right and it’s that last part that is the reason for my question! I have to imagine if it’s all listed in Bimmercode then someone must know what changes each. I’m surprised Bimmercode doesn’t at least have a page, or a thread here, that indicates what each of those variables does.
No that's actually Bimmercode reading from the ECU. It's not one option per feature either, several functions are groups and vary based on options and what devices are present. There are several threads on this site that outline what people have discovered, but there isn't a straight forward list for each and every option.

The features that Bimmercode offers in basic mode are ones that the developer has tested and vetted safe / reversible for all users.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No that's actually Bimmercode reading from the ECU. It's not one option per feature either, several functions are groups and vary based on options and what devices are present. There are several threads on this site that outline what people have discovered, but there isn't a straight forward list for each and every option.

The features that Bimmercode offers in basic mode are ones that the developer has tested and vetted safe / reversible for all users.
Got it. Surprised folks haven’t figured out all the other ones yet! Soon I hope. I’ll go poke around for discussion of it in other forums here.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it. Surprised folks haven’t figured out all the other ones yet! Soon I hope. I’ll go poke around for discussion of it in other forums here.
Most of the parameters you see inside the ECUs via Expert Mode don't do anything that the end user would care about anyway. There are literally hundreds of different parameters and sub parameters that can be adjusted inside each ECU. Even the more popular BMW platforms, like the 3-series, has most of those parameters untouched by the coding community.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0