BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New video: X7 vs GLS review by The Straight Pipes

01-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #45
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
it's Ametrin Metallic and is a deep purplish red, the color is actually deeper than the video portrays.
This. Actually a very dark wine-red in most light, and I've never seen it as depicted in the still shot of this video lighting. Almost mistook it for black when I first saw it. Not for everyone, but like TBII, a unique option for those tired of the comprehensive range of black or white presented by BMW for the majority of their "colors," and still be a conservative, sharp looking car, especially in this color with the Extended Shadowline trim.
exactly, under certain lighting it looks gorgeous but the color isn't one to catch your eye on a normal day like some others.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #46
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 428i GC, '15 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post

Can anyone comment on the problems they were having with the X7 lane-drifting too much using adaptive at highway speeds?
Weather. Period. During moderate to heavy rain my lane keep goes all over the place. Nothing like how it behaves on a clear day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post

Can anyone comment on the problems they were having with the X7 lane-drifting too much using adaptive at highway speeds?
Weather. Period. During moderate to heavy rain my lane keep goes all over the place. Nothing like how it behaves on a clear day.

I think it's the settings. Even on a clear day the x7 lane keep is almost startling and scared even my passengers. I ended up just turning it off. Anybody else have issues with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #47
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I drove both of them over the weekend and i do think x7 drives better than the GLS, although both are comfortable. Also interior of the x7 looked more upscale. Also i thought the leg space on the 3row in the x7 was a bit better than the gls. However, there were two issues with the x7 that i walked away disappointed with. First the cargo space in the x7 with 3row up is less compares to the gls and that is problem for me. Second issue that i need more seat time to figure out is that although the leg space was a bit more in third row, i felt claustrophobic in the x7 3rd row while no such issues in the gls. bmw missed the boat on the cargo space front with third rows up.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #48
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
I drove both of them over the weekend and i do think x7 drives better than the GLS, although both are comfortable. Also interior of the x7 looked more upscale. Also i thought the leg space on the 3row in the x7 was a bit better than the gls. However, there were two issues with the x7 that i walked away disappointed with. First the cargo space in the x7 with 3row up is less compares to the gls and that is problem for me. Second issue that i need more seat time to figure out is that although the leg space was a bit more in third row, i felt claustrophobic in the x7 3rd row while no such issues in the gls. bmw missed the boat on the cargo space front with third rows up.
It's 203" in X7 Vs 205"(2020 GLS). The previous GLS were 202" only and the third row leg space without adjustable 2nd row was ridiculous.
I learned to live with the space behind third row in the last 6 yrs of owing previous GLS which is the same as the X7 and those extra 2" won't make a big difference for me. But with the X7, I've additional space under the third row instead of a spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #49
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTruong View Post
I think it's the settings. Even on a clear day the x7 lane keep is almost startling and scared even my passengers. I ended up just turning it off. Anybody else have issues with this?
Does this become an issue with the car navigating itself with traffic stop and go / semi auto driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #50
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink View Post
It's 203" in X7 Vs 205"(2020 GLS). The previous GLS were 202" only and the third row leg space without adjustable 2nd row was ridiculous.
I learned to live with the space behind third row in the last 6 yrs of owing previous GLS which is the same as the X7 and those extra 2" won't make a big difference for me. But with the X7, I've additional space under the third row instead of a spare.
you found third row legroom in the 166 gls unacceptable? the only vehicle that had more, that i can think of, is the navigator i think
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #51
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
you found third row legroom in the 166 gls unacceptable? the only vehicle that had more, that i can think of, is the navigator i think
The issue with x166 is the non-adjustable second row. The second row has ample leg room which should be adjustable in order to accommodate third row passengers better which I can do in X7 now. I'm not sure about x167 though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #52
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

Quote:
Three row SUV's are pretty much all small behind the third row, unless you go with a Suburban, Expedition Max, etc. I think the worst in this class are like 15 cubic feet behind third row, and best in class is like 20 cubit feet. So not a huge difference from one to another. If you need to frequently haul 6-7 people and a bunch of stuff, this probably isn't the right vehicle class.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #53
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflikescars View Post
Quote:
Three row SUV's are pretty much all small behind the third row, unless you go with a Suburban, Expedition Max, etc. I think the worst in this class are like 15 cubic feet behind third row, and best in class is like 20 cubit feet. So not a huge difference from one to another. If you need to frequently haul 6-7 people and a bunch of stuff, this probably isn't the right vehicle class.
Agreed! Space behind third row is not a priority either in X7 or GLS. If space is a priority then either Minivan or Suburbans alike should be the choice but then they defeat the whole purpose of the drivability factor which I believe is the most important one!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #54
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Does this become an issue with the car navigating itself with traffic stop and go / semi auto driving?
Not really. When you let the car drive, it's pretty smooth. I haven't gotten comfortable with it enough to fully trust it though. However... with that system off, the lane keep assist... it bothers me a lot and I still have not been able to figure out how to completely shut it off. The constant tugging of the steering wheel is like bouncing off of an invisible wall. And you know the car is big too so it's easy to skim the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #55
MMM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X7, 2019 Tundra,

Quote:
Not really. When you let the car drive, it's pretty smooth. I haven't gotten comfortable with it enough to fully trust it though. However... with that system off, the lane keep assist... it bothers me a lot and I still have not been able to figure out how to completely shut it off. The constant tugging of the steering wheel is like bouncing off of an invisible wall. And you know the car is big too so it's easy to skim the line.
Agreed. It is a bit aggressive. My wife likes it so I leave it engaged. There is a setting in the system to disable it or minimize it if I’m not mistaken. I have already done it in my M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #56
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM5 View Post
Quote:
Agreed. It is a bit aggressive. My wife likes it so I leave it engaged. There is a setting in the system to disable it or minimize it if I’m not mistaken. I have already done it in my M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM5 View Post
Quote:
Agreed. It is a bit aggressive. My wife likes it so I leave it engaged. There is a setting in the system to disable it or minimize it if I'm not mistaken. I have already done it in my M5.
Yeah I found the setting. Feels much better now.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #57
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
Consider a suburban or minivan? IJS, with a similar wheelbase you can't have both more 3rd row legroom AND more cargo space vs the GLS.

There's only so much space to play with.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00