BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 four bulb headlights are very annoying

02-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
pellet8
Rep
Drives: X7

X7 four bulb headlights are very annoying

I get cars flashing at me at night all the time, because the four headlights make them think I have the high beam on. How can I take out two of them? Need some help.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellet8 View Post
I get cars flashing at me at night all the time, because the four headlights make them think I have the high beam on. How can I take out two of them? Need some help.
I've had my X7 since mid November. I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me because they think I have my High Beams on. Maybe your lights are out of adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Previous discussion:

New headlights too bright... at first? https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1671700

Personally, I wouldn't obsess over it and just flash back. And no you can't remove the inner projection units - it's a single harness connecting your headlights. Don't modify just for random drivers on the road.

If you really want a two LED headlamp vehicle - get a X5 with standard LED.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I've had my X7 since mid November. I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me because they think I have my High Beams on. Maybe your lights are out of adjustment?
I had set it on auto high beam recently. That reduced the number of flashes, but it still happens. Had I know this is so annoying, I would not have bought the X7. I’m surprised that you haven’t encountered once.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Previous discussion:

New headlights too bright... at first? https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1671700

Personally, I wouldn't obsess over it and just flash back. And no you can't remove the inner projection units - it's a single harness connecting your headlights. Don't modify just for random drivers on the road.

If you really want a two LED headlamp vehicle - get a X5 with standard LED.

Only if I can return it, I would do it....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
G80POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60i

Quote:
I had set it on auto high beam recently. That reduced the number of flashes, but it still happens. Had I know this is so annoying, I would not have bought the X7. I’m surprised that you haven’t encountered once.
I’m sorry but that seems like a pretty dumb reason to not want to own the car. Just flash people back. As previous person said perhaps your light are slightly out of adjustment. I haven’t had it happen yet and I also have the Euro light anti dazzle codes which has brights on almost all the time
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
MAPINE
Rep

I get flashed at least once a night. I just flash back but it is getting really old and tiring. Now my daughters notice it too and they yell “flash them back!”
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In the land of trucks and range rovers, I don't get flashed very frequently. It's always the low-sitting sedans that seem trigger happy to flash me. Then I flush them back and they feel silly
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90POWER View Post
I’m sorry but that seems like a pretty dumb reason to not want to own the car. Just flash people back. As previous person said perhaps your light are slightly out of adjustment. I haven’t had it happen yet and I also have the Euro light anti dazzle codes which has brights on almost all the time
I want a car that doesn’t bother other people while driving and vice versa. It is a simple ask. Every other car maker was able to accomplish this task, yet BMW X7 can’t. If I get into an accident because of this, guess whose $ss will be sued. It could be a safety hazard.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPINE View Post
I get flashed at least once a night. I just flash back but it is getting really old and tiring. Now my daughters notice it too and they yell “flash them back!”
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. It’s a design flaw at best. It’s a safety hazard that could lead to accidents at worst. BMW better recall and fix it, or someone will make them to.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPINE View Post
There are certain roads/situations where I know I'm going to get flashed and end up moving my hand to the stalk so I'm ready to flash back.
      02-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
I want a car that doesn’t bother other people while driving and vice versa. It is a simple ask. Every other car maker was able to accomplish this task, yet BMW X7 can’t. If I get into an accident because of this, guess whose $ss will be sued. It could be a safety hazard.
You're totally over reacting.

Take it to the dealer and voice your concern.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Quote:

I would definitely let your dealer look at it. I don't have mine yet, but drive a family member's X7 quite a bit at night in densely populated areas and have never been flashed.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #14
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I would definitely let your dealer look at it. I don't have mine yet, but drive a family member's X7 quite a bit at night in densely populated areas and have never been flashed.
Perhaps driving in a densely populated area where you have ample ambient lighting helps, because your headlights don’t stand out as much.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
yvnrg1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

So let them flash, I'm glad I can see the road at night. Also I coded Anti-dazzle back on..and it amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post

Over reacting or not, that is your opinion. Let the fact speak for itself. I’m not alone here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #17
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvnrg1981 View Post
So let them flash, I'm glad I can see the road at night. Also I coded Anti-dazzle back on..and it amazing.
Did you code on the dazzle with lasers or regular lights? I have the regular lights so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #18
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Over reacting or not, that is your opinion. Let the fact speak for itself. I’m not alone here.
I would start with the dealer. All headlights go through the DOT approval so can’t be an illegal design issue. There are already light functionalities in the US that are disabled because of the local laws compared to Europe.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
As stated by myself and others, perhaps you need to take your car to a BMW dealer and have them check the head lights. Looking at this thread I only see one other person that has the same issue that you do. If you really think this is a BMW issue why not create a post asking how often BMW X7 owner's get flashed by oncoming vehicles?

You are making some pretty broad assumptions here that "ALL" BMW X7s have a headlight problem. Yet, even though others (myself included), have stated that we are NOT getting flashed because of head lights being to bright you insist it's a BMW defect.

I live in Washington state, up in the woods, on a mountain with mostly all rural roads and highways with the exception of I5. Take a look at the roads where I live using Google Maps for Skagit County. You'll see very dark roads and lots of farm land and open spaces but also moderate traffic. Never been flashed driving my Mid November 2019 built 2020 X7 with standard adaptive LED headlights.

I also drive I5 south bound to Seattle and beyond on a frequent basis at night. NO Oncoming cars have flashed me ever!

So, how about getting your headlights on your BMW X7 tested before you issue a blanket statement on this forum stating that all BMW X7 headlights are defective and a safety hazard.

I understand your frustration but when others have stated they aren't seeing this problem on their vehicles why not get yours checked out before you blame the entire BMW X7 model line as having defective head lights?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
As stated by myself and others, perhaps you need to take your car to a BMW dealer and have them check the head lights. Looking at this thread I only see one other person that has the same issue that you do. If you really think this is a BMW issue why not create a post asking how often BMW X7 owner's get flashed by oncoming vehicles?

You are making some pretty broad assumptions here that "ALL" BMW X7s have a headlight problem. Yet, even though others (myself included), have stated that we are NOT getting flashed because of head lights being to bright you insist it's a BMW defect.

I live in Washington state, up in the woods, on a mountain with mostly all rural roads and highways with the exception of I5. Take a look at the roads where I live using Google Maps for Skagit County. You'll see very dark roads and lots of farm land and open spaces but also moderate traffic. Never been flashed driving my Mid November 2019 built 2020 X7 with standard adaptive LED headlights.

I also drive I5 south bound to Seattle and beyond on a frequent basis at night. NO Oncoming cars have flashed me ever!

So, how about getting your headlights on your BMW X7 tested before you issue a blanket statement on this forum stating that all BMW X7 headlights are defective and a safety hazard.

I understand your frustration but when others have stated they aren't seeing this problem on their vehicles why not get yours checked out before you blame the entire BMW X7 model line as having defective head lights?
Will get mine checked for manufacturing defect, if it is not a design defect. I bought it less than 2 months ago. It’s out of the factory this way. I never had this problem while driving my last SUV of similar size on the same roads.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
yvnrg1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Did you code on the dazzle with lasers or regular lights? I have the regular lights so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
I Coded the x5 that has the laser and now the x7 but x7 no laser...yes it's worth it, but only if you live outside of city since it's much brighter in city and it will rarely go off.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      02-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #22
pellet8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I would start with the dealer. All headlights go through the DOT approval so can’t be an illegal design issue. There are already light functionalities in the US that are disabled because of the local laws compared to Europe.
I’m sure BMW doesn’t knowingly perform an illegal design. That’s a strong term. However, design defects do occur, and it occurs more often than you think, especially on a complicated piece of machinery like a vehicle.

I know everyone who spent $80k plus loves the vehicle, and perhaps doesn’t like to read negatives about it. Don’t get me wrong, I love my X7 as much as everyone else here. I just don’t want driving becoming a stressful experience, unnecessarily. I don’t want to bother other people while driving, and don’t want to be bothered either.

The very act of discussing this with folks here and listening to your suggestions have already made tonight’s driving experience less stressful.
Appreciate 0