BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Driver Attention Camera

03-27-2020, 02:31 AM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Driver Attention Camera

Has anyone found a way to actually test the Driver Attention Camera?

I've tried driving down the road and turning my head to the left or right to look at something other than the road in front of me. Occasionally, I will glance at the road in front of me so I don't crash but I keep my head and my eyes turned away from the road in front of me.

I've never been alerted by the Driver Attention Camera. I am not wearing any glasses or sunglasses when I've tried this test.

Has anyone ever seen the Driver Attention Camera do what it's supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post

I've tried driving down the road and turning my head to the left or right to look at something other than the road in front of me. Occasionally, I will glance at the road in front of me so I don't crash but I keep my head and my eyes turned away from the road in front of me.

I've never been alerted by the Driver Attention Camera. I am not wearing any glasses or sunglasses when I've tried this test.

It's supposed to detect if you get drowsy and start falling asleep. I don't suggest driving with your eyes closed, to test it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Easy test is to look away while DA engaged and you are stationary.

It will beep and require you to re-engage cruise before setting off again. If you keep eyes on the road it will auto resume when traffic starts to move again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

From my experience and what I have read, the driver attention camera is only in use within the Traffic Jam assistant. For this, you basically have to be on a highway and get stuck in traffic going under 40 MPH. From there, you'll have the additional/ third driver assistance mode show up, so you'll turn that on for it to use the attention camera rather than the sensors that tell if your hands are on the wheel. Looking at the kids in the back seat, looking at your phone, etc. sets it off pretty quickly.

As far the the drowsy driving warning, I'm pretty sure that's still old school and only does it if you continually touch/cross the lines on the road. That's been my experience anyway.

[EDIT: looks like the camera is always on for the drowsy driving purpose, I just haven't experienced it yet... too much coffee I guess... I think I read or heard a while ago that it's basically looking for the universal sleepy driver head bob, but that might have come from a CA and I don't trust a word they say. So those are the two basic known functions (I'm sure it's also analyzing your thoughts and selling them to the highest bidder), don't expect it to do anything if you simply look away while you're hands are on the wheel and you're in the regular DA mode.]

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 03-27-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Easy test is to look away while DA engaged and you are stationary.

It will beep and require you to re-engage cruise before setting off again. If you keep eyes on the road it will auto resume when traffic starts to move again.
Ditto. On a long road trip across the country, the car would beep, and the wheel would flash yellow when I turned my head left or right for some time with driving assistance active. For example, I found it going off when I would flip through music on CarPlay for too long. I didn't find it annoying, somewhat helpful to know that it was reminding me to pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Ditto. On a long road trip across the country, the car would beep, and the wheel would flash yellow when I turned my head left or right for some time with driving assistance active. For example, I found it going off when I would flip through music on CarPlay for too long. I didn't find it annoying, somewhat helpful to know that it was reminding me to pay attention.
I would think it should activate even if you don't have DA turned on and you start nodding off. Even if you don't have cruise control engaged. But, perhaps, they haven't got to that level yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would think it should activate even if you don't have DA turned on and you start nodding off. Even if you don't have cruise control engaged. But, perhaps, they haven't got to that level yet.
I would assume as well, but didn't test it .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I tried today. Doesn't do anything. I tried slowly closing my eyes and bowing my head like I was nodding off. No warnings and no beeps. Even when I let it drift out of the lane until the lane keep took over several times.

Looks like it's not ready for prime time unless you have DA activated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I tried today. Doesn't do anything. I tried slowly closing my eyes and bowing my head like I was nodding off. No warnings and no beeps. Even when I let it drift out of the lane until the lane keep took over several times.

Looks like it's not ready for prime time unless you have DA activated.
Good to know. Thanks for taking one for the team
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

This must have been answered before but can someone tell my how to activate the third driver assistance under 40 mph? I see the third green light go on when I am driving in traffic but never know what to press to activate it and haven’t had much time in the car lately.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
This must have been answered before but can someone tell my how to activate the third driver assistance under 40 mph? I see the third green light go on when I am driving in traffic but never know what to press to activate it and haven’t had much time in the car lately.
Just press the mode button, confirm the ack, and you're good.
Appreciate 0