BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Digital key

03-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #1
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Digital key

Has anyone figured out how to open the car with their phone? Even better... While I love that the car locks itself and I never worry about forgetting it open, can the car 'know' when I am home and not lock by itself?

I could search the manual but you guys are better and faster. Thanks in advance.

Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

The comfort access system is not location based. If you have it on it will work the same no matter where you are.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #3
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

>>While I love that the car locks itself and I never worry about forgetting it open, can the car 'know' when I am home and not lock by itself?

This is my worry too and you would be amazed to know that our 2020 Corolla (common use car) has the function to let you know (by the Notification system of its app) if you forgot to Lock your car. the system sends a notification and lets you know that. And of course then you can remotely Lock it.

Once you stop the engine and open your door and don't lock your car (or forget to lock it or the FOB range was not enough) you get the notification.

I was amazed to drive that car. All 2020's Toyotas have standard Safety systems included with them regardless of the grade/model which includes Lane Assist, Lane Centering, Lan Departure, Blind Spot warning, Auto Cruise.....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Also Digital Key using my Android PDA was not supported by Verizon phones last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I just listen for the beep. If the car beeps it locked after you walk away. If it didn't then it didn't lock. I have never worried it didn't lock.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I use a digital key on my android Note 10 with NFC.

With the BMW connected application, don't need a key anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post

BMW should give you a year of gas for it 😊...

"With the BMW connected application, don't need a key anymore."
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

Last is tested this, the issue was Verizon did not support it even though i configured everything. Do you have Verizon?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
Last is tested this, the issue was Verizon did not support it even though i configured everything. Do you have Verizon?
That is correct.

I was actually the one that spent hours working my way all the way up to Verizon corporate to figure out why it wouldn't work.

Essentially, Verizon seems to think that any application developer needs to go through them to have the NFC capabilities unlocked. I get that they want to make sure there are security protocols in place, but that is beyond the point. I paid for the NFC.

Verizon told me that BMW needed to contact them about the application to have the NFC unlocked. I explained to them that I owned the device, which includes the hardware and the NFC chip. I wanted it unlocked as I bought the device. They refused.

That was the end of it with Verizon. I had enough. I dumped all my personal and business accounts the next day and went to T-Mobile. The new device worked right out of the box from T-Mobile. No lock on the NFC.

Verizon can't seem to comprehend that they don't own that phone, I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
That is correct.

I was actually the one that spent hours working my way all the way up to Verizon corporate to figure out why it wouldn't work.

Essentially, Verizon seems to think that any application developer needs to go through them to have the NFC capabilities unlocked. I get that they want to make sure there are security protocols in place, but that is beyond the point. I paid for the NFC.

Verizon told me that BMW needed to contact them about the application to have the NFC unlocked. I explained to them that I owned the device, which includes the hardware and the NFC chip. I wanted it unlocked as I bought the device. They refused.

That was the end of it with Verizon. I had enough. I dumped all my personal and business accounts the next day and went to T-Mobile. The new device worked right out of the box from T-Mobile. No lock on the NFC.

Verizon can't seem to comprehend that they don't own that phone, I do.
Nice. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
The digital key on the phone through NFC is kind of pointless IMHO, why would I want to take something out of my pocket and have to physically touch the door? For the times I don't want to carry my key in my pocket and use comfort access, I could go ahead and open the app on my way to the car and be much happier than having to fumble with the device while on top of the car. Once they figure our a more secure protocol that doesn't have to be so "Near" (i.e. you could leave your phone in your pocket), then I could buy into it and care a little more. I can at least appreciate the idea of the passive NFC/ physical digital key if I wanted to leave my phone and key in the car while I went for a run or something.

As far as the second part of OP's post... the IoT stuff, both with BMW and in general, has been constantly changing over the last 4 years I've been playing with it so I'm a bit out of touch, but that would be the road to look down to get the car to remain unlocked/unlock itself once you're home. The BMW labs IFTTT project was promising, but that will be reaching end of life soon. Natively-ish BMW has the Alexa integration, so you could set a routine to unlock your car when you do something else with a connected device such as disarm your home, close your garage door, enter your living room, trigger 5 minutes after staying within a certain geo-fenced area, etc.; however, unlocking the car through Alexa requires your BMW Connected PIN to be entered. Obviously this would be more useful if you wanted you wanted your car to do something that doesn't require a PIN.

Going further down the road to accomplish your dream is possible, but it gets messy. You could probably figure out a way to rig it up to pass the PIN through another service, using some random independently developed "apps" (or develop your own) in smartthings, ifttt, etc.. I wouldn't recommend going down that route, not just for the security concerns, but these are the kinds of things that get obsolete over time if BMW and/or Amazon automatically update and change any protocols since they aren't officially supported. This is where you start to approach insanity, wishing IoT had more standards and wasn't such a house of cards. Every time I notice my foyer lights not going on as I pull into my driveway, or I bring out my "smart" Christmas lights, I get a little anxiety, and those aren't the kinds of things I have to worry about updating on their own.