BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Motortrend TV Car Shows

07-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Motortrend TV Car Shows

I'm addicted to watching custom car shows on Motortrend's channel. Most of the shows are pretty cheesy but some do put out some nice work. So I've been watching Iron Resurrection recently. They will take an old 60's or 70's muscle car and modernize it. I'm sure they are putting a ton of money into these builds but the look pretty good afterwards. Much better than a stock resto. They will change out the motor for a modern fuel injected motor. They will also change out the suspension for independent coilove type. Of course the brakes are also beefed up. I'm wondering how these cars actually perform compared to today's cars. They seemed to have loads of power but how is the handling. Not sure what they weight but I bet they are heavy.
      07-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I like Wheeler Dealers were they take an older car and rehab it and then sell it. They get some interesting cars and show you the repairs they are doing.
Appreciate 3
N54Yankee2706.00
DDD311646.00
jmg18493.00
      07-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Depends on the car - but take your average 70s muscle car, throw 10k worth of shiny chrome catalog parts on it, and it'll still struggle to keep up with modern cars. It's just the nature of body on frame, overall weight, and aerodynamics.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I like Wheeler Dealers were they take an older car and rehab it and then sell it. They get some interesting cars and show you the repairs they are doing.
I used to love Wheeler Dealers when it was in Great Britain and they worked on cars you don’t see over here. The show went downhill once they moved the show to California and showed less of the car repairs and more of Mike Brewer. Once Edd China left the show, I lost interest and don’t even watch it anymore.

The rest of the shows to me just seem the same with bearded guys covered in tattoos creating fake drama while working on muscle cars with heavy metal music playing in the background. Now get off my lawn!!

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
jmg18493.00
Dackelone10511.00
      07-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I used to love Wheeler Dealers when it was in Great Britain and they worked on cars you don’t see over here. The show went downhill once they moved the show to California and showed less of the car repairs and more of Mike Brewer. Once Edd China left the show, I lost interest and don’t even watch it anymore.

The rest of the shows to me just seem the same with bearded guys covered in tattoos creating fake drama while working on muscle cars with heavy metal music playing in the background. Now get off my lawn!!
Most of the shows I like to watch deal more with the metal fabrication side. Iron Resurrection with Joe Martin is one of my favorites. He seems like a "small town" guy who really has a talent that you don't see a lot of anymore.
      07-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I like JDM Legends. I hope they do a second season
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

I usually find that most of the shows have a two or three season lifespan before they become more about the people and less about the cars or the work. For example, loved the first few seasons of Bitchin' Rides (because I think Dave Kindig does great work) but can't watch it these days.

Ones I do watch: Garage Squad, Restoration Garage, Chasing Classic Cars ... and Car Masters on Netflix (and anyone who's seen it will know why).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post

The fake drama is not what I want in a car show. I want cars and car stories. I prefer the old Wheeler Dealer, but I still like it because it's relatively drama free. There are some format issues with the show, why do I need a recap of what I just watched before the commercial break? I'm not that stupid, and I'm on my DVR. It happened literally 5 seconds ago. These cable reality shows need to realize that we aren't all brain dead dumbshits. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next US Top Gear. I know they don't have the best track record, but 3rd time's a charm.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      07-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I usually find that most of the shows have a two or three season lifespan before they become more about the people and less about the cars or the work. For example, loved the first few seasons of Bitchin' Rides (because I think Dave Kindig does great work) but can't watch it these days.

Ones I do watch: Garage Squad, Restoration Garage, Chasing Classic Cars ... and Car Masters on Netflix (and anyone who's seen it will know why).
+1. I quickly lose interest as they start giving us all the interpersonal drama. I watch the shows to see cars and car repairs, not to see a bunch of people interacting.

I liked the old Wheeler Dealers better but the new one is still watchable (although I usually shut it down once they finish the repairs; the last section of the show involving the sale of the car and a test drive are pretty worthless IMHO.

I liked Fantom works until it shut down.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
+1. I quickly lose interest as they start giving us all the interpersonal drama. I watch the shows to see cars and car repairs, not to see a bunch of people interacting.

I liked the old Wheeler Dealers better but the new one is still watchable (although I usually shut it down once they finish the repairs; the last section of the show involving the sale of the car and a test drive are pretty worthless IMHO.

I liked Fantom works until it shut down.
Yeah....Fantom Works was great. You could tell near the end he was getting tired of the cameras.

I was pleasantly surprised by Full Restoration Garage. First few minutes I watched Ian Russel......I actually thought he was a "hack". But after watching until the end, he did impress me.

I still like Joe Martin best. But I love watching metal work.
      07-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Fantomworks was definitely one the better shows they offered. Engine masters is a fun watch and Roadkill is fun in small doses.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0