BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) DTM Round 2: Lausitzring Eurospeedway

05-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #23
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Marco Wittmann receiving the Maxi-Scooter BMW C 600 Motorsport Wittmann Edition at the Lausitzring
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #24
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Difficult first race, the best BMW was Martin in P7
And then there were the grid penalties for blocking
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #25
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Race 2 BMWs
P8: MAR
P11: TOM
P12: GLO
P14: DAC
P17: WIT
P19: SPE
P22: FAR
P24: BLO
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #27
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Maxime Martin finishes eighth to score points again in race two.
BMW Team RMG driver Maxime Martin was in the points again in race two at the Lausitzring, and was once again the best-placed BMW driver in the field.

May 21 2015 BMW Motorsport

The Belgian guided his SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM home in eighth place. Martin has now pulled ahead of fellow BMW drivers Martin Tomczyk and Marco Wittmann (both 12 points) in the Drivers’ Championship with 16 points to his name.
Bruno Spengler did cross the finish line tenth in the BMW Bank M4 DTM, but was handed a drive-through penalty for his part in a collision with Adrien Tambay (FR, Audi) and dropped back to 19th. This made Tomczyk the second-best BMW driver in eleventh place. However, this meant that the BMW Team Schnitzer driver narrowly missed out on the points. He was followed home by Timo Glock, António Félix da Costa and Wittmann in positions twelve, 14 and 17. Augusto Farfus and Tom Blomqvist failed to finish. Victory, as on Saturday, went to Jamie Green (Audi).
Reactions to the fourth race of the 2015 DTM season.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“As expected, that was a tough race for us today. Maxime Martin was again the only BMW driver in the points, in eighth place this time. That is obviously unsatisfactory. After the safety car phase you could see that we took two or three laps to get the tyres working. We did not manage to get the maximum performance out of the tyres over the entire distance. This is not at all what we saw during the initial winter tests. We will have to investigate the reasons for this. The positive I can take with me from this weekend is the fighting spirit among our teams and drivers – even though we did not pick up a lot of points. That pleased me greatly.”

Maxime Martin (BMW Team RMG, 8th):
“The race was virtually a carbon copy of Saturday’s. I had bigger problems than the others with tyre degradation. That was particularly a problem at the restart after the safety car phase. On the whole, this was a disappointing weekend from a BMW point of view. The fact that I was the best BMW driver in both races is the only positive I can take from the weekend.”
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Reactions to the second DTM race weekend.
Read here what BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt and the eight BMW DTM drivers had to say after races three and four of the 2015 DTM season.

May 31 2015 BMW Motorsport

Maxime Martin (BMW Team RMG, Su.: 8th, Sa.: 7th):
“The race was virtually a carbon copy of Saturday’s. I had bigger problems than the others with tyre degradation. That was particularly a problem at the restart after the safety car period. On the whole, this was a disappointing weekend from a BMW point of view. The fact that I was the best BMW driver in both races is the only positive I can take from the weekend.”

Martin Tomczyk (BMW Team Schnitzer, Su.: 11th, Sa.: 12th):
“I was once again able to work my way well up the field in the race from the back row of the grid. That, in itself, is a positive thing, as you cannot necessarily expect to finish so high up the field from that kind of grid position. I would have liked to pick up the final point, but unfortunately that was just out of reach. I am coping well in the races, even with a car that is not quite perfect. However, we have yet to find a solution to our problems in qualifying.”

Timo Glock (BMW Team MTEK, Su.: 12th, Sa.: 18th):
“Qualifying is the key issue for us. We must try to do better in that regard. At the moment I cannot get the best out of the new tyres. I was as quick in warm-up on used tyres as I was in qualifying on fresh tyres. We must find out what that is down to and improve in this area. We simply couldn’t get any more out of this weekend than we did.”

António Félix da Costa (BMW Team Schnitzer, Su.: 14th, Sa.: 19th):
“The way the race panned out was pretty predictable. I had a few collisions with other cars, but that is part and parcel of the DTM. When it comes down to it, we are just not fast enough. I was particularly unhappy with the balance of my car during the races.”

Marco Wittmann (BMW Team RMG, Su.: 17th, Sa.: 13th):
“The positive thing to come out of this weekend was definitely the fighting spirit that my team and I showed. I made a very good start to race two, and was able to apply some pressure on the opening lap. Then came the incident with Robert Wickens. We first collided in turn six, but that was all fair. He then pushed me off the track in turn seven. I skidded into the gravel, was able to return to the track, but had dropped to a hopeless position at the back of the field. Even the safety car period did not help us. I basically spent the entire race driving qualifying laps. This has been a very difficult weekend. We must now look ahead. I want to be back fighting at the front of the field in my home races at the Norisring.”

Bruno Spengler (BMW Team MTEK, Su.: 19th, Sa.: 11th):
“The race actually went well and I was happy with our pace. The safety car period gave me the chance to close on Adrien Tambay. He collided with Nico Müller and I saw a gap. However, once I got into that gap the wheel locked slightly and I made contact with him. He spun – and I was penalised. Otherwise I would have been tenth. The positive thing is that I will now compete with less weight at the Norisring.”

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team RBM, Su.: DNF, Sa.: DNF):
“I had the same problem as yesterday. The front splitter broke, which meant we were unable to continue. At the moment we simply don’t have the necessary pace. That is the state of play. Things actually went very well for us in qualifying. I was able to establish a good position. However, we must definitely improve in the races.”

Tom Blomqvist (BMW Team RBM, Su.: DNF, Sa.: 22nd):
“I found myself in a bunch of cars in turn one, and it all got very tight. I made slight contact with the car in front of me, and didn’t think much of it at the time. However, it turned out that the contact was so unfortunate that it damaged my radiator. It is a real shame that my race came to such an early end."

DTM standings.

Drivers’ Championship.
1. Jamie Green (75 points)
2. Mattias Ekström (58)
3. Edoardo Mortara (58)
4. Pascal Wehrlein (32)
5. Miguel Molina (27)
6. Mike Rockenfeller (21)
7. Timo Scheider (16)
8. Maxime Martin (16)
9. Paul di Resta (15)
10. Gary Paffett (15)
11. Robert Wickens (14)
12. Martin Tomczyk (12)
13. Marco Wittmann (12)
14. Nico Müller (10)
15. Daniel Juncadella (9)
16. Christian Vietoris (6)
17. Timo Glock (5)
18. Bruno Spengler (2)
19. Augusto Farfus (1).

Team Championship.
1.Audi Sport Team Rosberg (85 points)
2. Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline (85)
3. Audi Sport Team Abt (58)
4.gooix/Original-Teile Mercedes-AMG (38)
5. Audi Sport Team Phoenix (37)
6. SILBERPFEIL Energy Mercedes-AMG (29)
7. BMW Team RMG (28)
8. EURONICS/BWT Mercedes-AMG (15)
9. BMW Team Schnitzer (12)
10. PETRONAS Mercedes-AMG (9)
11. BMW Team MTEK (7)
12. BMW Team RBM (1).

Manufacturers’ Championship.
1. Audi (265 points)
2. Mercedes-Benz (91)
3. BMW (48).

Last edited by 954Stealth; 05-31-2015 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #29
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

JAMIE GREEN UNSTOPPABLE AT LAUSITZRING

All the doubts have gone. Three years after moving from Mercedes-Benz to Audi, things are really going well for Jamie Green. In a dominant way, the Audi driver also secured himself the second race win at Lausitzring, his third victory in the still-young motorsport season. “The perfect start into the season,” Green enthused. “A dream!” Audi also dominated proceedings in race two. Mattias Ekström and Miguel Molina took the remaining podium slots. In total, seven of the eight Audi drivers made it into the top ten. In sixth position, Daniel Juncadella was the best-placed Mercedes-Benz driver while Maxime Martin was the fastest BMW driver in eighth.

http://www.dtm.com/en/news/jamie-gre...language=en-gb
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #30
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #31
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #32
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

and a bonus
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #33
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #34
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Marco Wittmann receiving the Maxi-Scooter BMW C 600 Motorsport Wittmann Edition at the Lausitzring
The picture is at the top of this page, here is the news article/interview from BMW Motorsport

Wittmann unveils number 1 BMW Maxi-Scooter.
A special honour was bestowed upon BMW Team RMG driver Marco Wittmann during the race weekend at the Lausitzring.

Accompanied by Henning Putzke, Head of BMW Motorrad Deutschland, and BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt, the reigning DTM champion unveiled the first BMW Maxi-Scooter C 600 Sport in the same design as the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM, with which Wittmann won the Drivers’ Championship in 2014. The sporty Maxi-Scooter is a visual treat, featuring the champion’s signature, the number 1, and a specially designed seat in Ice-Watch colours – just like the BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition, which was launched by BMW M GmbH in 2014 in recognition of Wittmann’s DTM success.
Three questions for... Marco Wittmann.

Marco, after the BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition, you now also have a C 600 Sport: how do you like seeing the design of your championship-winning car on the BMW Motorrad Maxi-Scooter?

Marco Wittmann:
“I obviously find it awesome. I was absolutely delighted when I saw the BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition for the first time at the final round of the 2014 season in Hockenheim. And the same was true when I unveiled the C 600 Sport here at the Lausitzring. Thank you very much to BMW Motorrad for this special edition. I think the Ice-Watch design always looks great – whether on four wheels or two.”

We will see you on two wheels more often before long...

Wittmann:
“Yes, that’s right. I am doing my motorcycle licence at the moment. This is something I have meant to do for quite a while, but have just not really had the time. However, I have finally got round to it now. I can hardly wait to try out the bikes from BMW Motorrad.”

Luck was not on your side at the Lausitzring, and you had to settle for 13th and 17th. How would you sum up the weekend?

Wittmann
: “There was definitely more in it for us, but we were prevented from getting better results on both days by things we had no influence over. On Saturday I received a grid penalty, which I could not really understand. That made the race tough for me right from the start. Sunday’s race was over early doors for me, when Robert Wickens forced me off into the gravel bed and I rejoined the race at the very back of the field. All the same, I was still able to make up a few positions. BMW Team RMG and I are looking ahead now: I am looking forward to my home round at the Norisring at the end of June.”
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #35
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DTM: BMW, Mercedes back test cancellation
June 01 2015 Mitchell Adam

Concerns from DTM manufacturers BMW and Mercedes were behind the talks that led to this week's Lausitzring test being canceled.

All three of the series' marques were scheduled to return to the circuit on Tuesday and Wednesday, however BMW and Mercedes-Benz expressed doubts about the value of their participation after Sunday's race, following a weekend that was dominated by Audi.

In announcing the move, a statement from the DTM said "the reason is that the tire currently being used is deviating in its handling characteristics from empirical values for a number of teams" and that it has requested "detailed analysis and a prompt clarification" from Hankook.

Having endured a tough weekend – plagued by severe degradation across its lineup – BMW felt the test would be more beneficial after time to analyze the event's data.

"Somehow there is a disconnect and that's what we need to work on and that's what we need to figure out," BMW motorsport chief Jens Marquardt told AUTOSPORT. "The only way to do this is a deep analysis and really dig into our data, everything that we did over winter, everything that we did for the last two [race] weekends. Then we need to sit with Hankook together and work really intensively, because somehow there is a disconnect and we need to figure out where.
"It would not make a lot of sense to start testing here from Tuesday for two days; without this analysis there is no point because it would be just running around again and trying things in a more or less diffused way."

A lack of fresh tire gain had been the BMW drivers' biggest problem during Hockenheim's season opener.
"It's really disappointing, the gap was bigger than we felt it was in Hockenheim and what's really puzzling is that it doesn't really comply with all of the hard work we've done over the winter, all of the development we have put into our program," Marquardt said.

"Clearly we can't get the tires to work in the time that we needed, seen in qualifying and [Sunday's] restart, but also definitely more of an instability and variation than expected, and that's what we need to look into."
Mercedes was Audi's closest challenger last weekend, albeit with best results of fifth and sixth in Saturday's race, having claimed podiums at Hockenheim.

"After quite a successful weekend at Hockenheim, we came here with other expectations than to finish fifth and sixth," Mercedes' DTM boss Ulrich Fritz said. "We have to carefully analyze the situation, because for us there are a few parameters in our car we do not understand currently.

"Especially the tire performance and the relation between car and driver and tires, is not what we expected. We need to carefully analyze that together with our partner Hankook."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #36
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #37
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #38
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

**Interesting article on BMW's tire issues

Tyre problems plaguing BMW’s fightback

In the wake of the results that BMW Motorsport secured at the Lausitzring for the second race weekend of the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, disappointment is very clear to see, as Team RMG’s Maxime Martin was the highest scoring driver in both races.

The Belgian, who is partnered with defending champion Marco Wittmann, found himself dropping back dramatically on both Saturday and Sunday, despite all his best efforts.

“I had bigger problems than the others with tyre degradation. That was particularly a problem at the restart after the safety car period. The fact that I was the best BMW driver in both races is the only positive I can take from the weekend.”

Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt explained after the second race that it was another difficult weekend for all concerned, especially with the tyres not performing within tolerances, which has since prompted a subsequent investigation .

“After the safety car period you could see that we took two or three laps to get the tyres working. We did not manage to get the maximum performance out of the tyres over the entire distance,” said the former Toyota F1 Team boss. “The positive I can take with me from this weekend is the fighting spirit among our teams and drivers. Even though we did not pick up a lot of points, that pleased me greatly.”

Whitman himself, also saw the positives out of a troubling weekend, especially as he is currently on 12 points in the drivers’ standings, behind 2011 champion Martin Tomczyk.

” I made a very good start to race two, and was able to apply some pressure on the opening lap,” said the 25-year-old, who suffered contact with Robert Wickens in the latter part of the race, and did not even gain any profit from the Safety Car period, triggered by Lucas Auer. “I basically spent the entire race driving qualifying laps. This has been a very difficult weekend. We must now look ahead. I want to be back fighting at the front of the field in my home races at the Norisring.”

BMW finds itself at the bottom of the manufacturers’ standings as the drivers and teams head to Norisring in a matter of weeks, so there is much work to be done, ahead of an encounter on one of the fastest tracks on the calendar.
Appreciate 0