Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Pre-Order Recommendations / Questions

So given what I know so far, pictures, specs, timing - I pretty set on pre-ordering.

However, I've contacted my local dealers, and a couple other remote dealers to ask some questions and they know absolutely nothing about the car. The best I've gotten so far is someone emailing me the order sheet we all already have.

Me: Can I get the laser lights on the x40, or only the x50?
Sales Guy: Let me check on that... (5 minutes) Yes, at an additional cost
Me: It doesn't look like a stand-alone option on the Ordering Sheet for the x40, it doesn't make much sense since you can on the X5 4.0
Sales Guy: You can at an additional cost
Me: How much, it's not on the Ordering sheet
Sales Guy: $73,900 to $91,500
Me: (sigh) not the car, the lights...
Sales Guy: Let me check on that (5 minutes) You can order options at an additional cost

I mean really... ridiculous

Questions:
1. If I end up pre-ordering from a non-local dealer, can I take delivery elsewhere and service it locally? I rather just pick it up in SC or a different dealer

2. It looks like you definitely can't order the Executive package on the 4.0, but can you order the glass controls and sky lounge separately? It looks like you can, but why would they specifically not allow laser lights on the 4.0??

3. If options change or are added/removed, do we have a chance to change our configuration in the next 6 months while we wait?

4. How solid is the March timing, I'm coming off lease so I cannot delay too much.

Does anyone know of a competent dealer?! I'll order from anybody as long as I never have to physically go there. I always expect to know more about a car I purchase than the dealer, but this is crazy...

Last edited by Cabby; 10-25-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

My dealer wanted to know if I had a build code from the website and I had to tell him that the BMWUSA site does not let you build an X7 yet, so I couldn't create a build. And, he was unaware that order guides were released last week. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle at this point and let more information bubble up to the surface. With the car debuting next month at the Los Angeles car show, I'll at least be able to see one in the metal before production begins in December and I'm sure we'll all have a clearer picture of what options and packages will be available by then. I'm crossing my fingers that with a pre-order, my wife and I will be able to see the car somehow without having to fight over it with everyone else at the car show, though. There have been some changes on the how G05s can be configured and I wouldn't be surprised to see some updates to the current X7 ordering guides.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
My dealer wanted to know if I had a build code from the website and I had to tell him that the BMWUSA site does not let you build an X7 yet, so I couldn't create a build. And, he was unaware that order guides were released last week. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle at this point and let more information bubble up to the surface. With the car debuting next month at the Los Angeles car show, I'll at least be able to see one in the metal before production begins in December and I'm sure we'll all have a clearer picture of what options and packages will be available by then. I'm crossing my fingers that with a pre-order, my wife and I will be able to see the car somehow without having to fight over it with everyone else at the car show, though. There have been some changes on the how G05s can be configured and I wouldn't be surprised to see some updates to the current X7 ordering guides.
Buying it sight unseen makes me a bit nervous, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time for us. My main concern is about allocations so there isn't a gap between leases. I realize the pre-order is a gimmick, but I don't know how many slots each dealer is getting either...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I would use the G05 timeline to approximate X7 availability: August production start and November deliveries of G05s would yield March X7 deliveries with the December production start. Another correlation I see is the 12/19 SOP of delayed options on G05s and 4/19 on X7s, both of which are the month after the first (approximated) deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Speedy818
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Same issues here in terms of getting answers from the dealer. They have zero information in terms of pricing, builds, lease programs, etc. It seems for the privilege of giving them $1000 for six months, the dealer gets an allocation of a model. My dealer took PayPal so I used paypal credit which is interest free for six months. If I cancel, I get it back, so I'm really not out anything. I'm probably only 10% on actually taking it with where BMW seems to be at this point, but at least I'm in the game.

It's still embarrassing how poorly informed the dealers are for something that's been so long coming and should be a premium experience from beginning to end.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

I hope you didn't say "4.0" while on the call, hard to take you seriously if you did...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
I hope you didn't say "4.0" while on the call, hard to take you seriously if you did...
LoL, obviously not.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      10-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

My dealership/salesman has been in touch with me at least once a week since preorder on the 16th. I gave him my configuration from the order guide. Heard from him today, he's got a vehicle inquiry report with order status-047 spec. released-no . Not sure what that means but no production number obv. Just saw the preorders are temporary closed due to high demand.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Looks like I got my pre-order in just in time!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
I.M.A.Penguin
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Invoice pricing availability?

For anyone with past experience, do we have any shot at all at negotiating against the invoice pricing instead of the MSRP?
When will invoice pricing be available to us?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.A.Penguin View Post
For anyone with past experience, do we have any shot at all at negotiating against the invoice pricing instead of the MSRP?
When will invoice pricing be available to us?
Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't count on any discount on pre-orders of car that's never existed.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
menohuman
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

There may be room for negotiation if you are ready to walk away after configuring the vehicle. In New Jersey, you can decline the purchase or lease even if your special order has arrived at the dealership. Eventually the dealer will have to sell the car and its much harder getting a $90k vehicle off the lot than your typical 3 series.

To be on the safe side, I put down 4 pre-orders, 2 using my name and 2 using my wife's name through 4 different dealerships near me. That way I'll be left with some negotiating room.
Appreciate 1
akhter418.50
      11-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
I.M.A.Penguin
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

menohuman, I was thinking about placing a second order as well but didn't because it felt a little bit shady. However there isn't anything written about it being discouraged plus I can put it in my spouse's name like you said. At least that would give us some kind of leverage in the negotiating process.
You nailed it on the head though - I'd be looking at a pretty loaded vehicle options wise, so it could be a bear for them to have to sell to someone else if we decline.
Thanks for getting in on the conversation and good luck with your own purchase!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
menohuman
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.A.Penguin View Post
menohuman, I was thinking about placing a second order as well but didn't because it felt a little bit shady. However there isn't anything written about it being discouraged plus I can put it in my spouse's name like you said. At least that would give us some kind of leverage in the negotiating process.
You nailed it on the head though - I'd be looking at a pretty loaded vehicle options wise, so it could be a bear for them to have to sell to someone else if we decline.
Thanks for getting in on the conversation and good luck with your own purchase!
It is definitely shady but I'm a terrible negotiator. And my wife usually comes to the dealership with me and gets excited over a cool feature she sees. This ruins the whole negotiation plan because the dealer knows that we really want a particular option or package and uses this to his advantage.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by menohuman View Post
There may be room for negotiation if you are ready to walk away after configuring the vehicle. In New Jersey, you can decline the purchase or lease even if your special order has arrived at the dealership. Eventually the dealer will have to sell the car and its much harder getting a $90k vehicle off the lot than your typical 3 series.

To be on the safe side, I put down 4 pre-orders, 2 using my name and 2 using my wife's name through 4 different dealerships near me. That way I'll be left with some negotiating room.
I think this is awesome. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
Natlguy
Rep
Drives: 16 750i MSport

My experiences appear to be very similar. The dealerships seem to have very little information about the car. I had to tell them how the process was working.

I am very concerned not knowing the lease pricing but will walk away if it is ridiculous. I like the idea of having two bookings for them to compete.

I also have seen the laserlights are only on the 50i with the executive package. The dealership was also annoyed as they believed it was a ridiculous decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #17
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natlguy View Post
My experiences appear to be very similar. The dealerships seem to have very little information about the car. I had to tell them how the process was working.

I am very concerned not knowing the lease pricing but will walk away if it is ridiculous. I like the idea of having two bookings for them to compete.

I also have seen the laserlights are only on the 50i with the executive package. The dealership was also annoyed as they believed it was a ridiculous decision.
If you do get the laser lights, I did have a dealer confirm these yellow stickers are placed there like in this thread... deal breaker...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537262
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #18
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Wow utter idiocy.
Obviously it's not like looking straight into a laser pointer, and certainly not more 'dangerous' than a pair of similarly powerful LED headlights, plus the range (and possibly the maximum power) is half that of the EU-spec models.

Last edited by advantage20; 11-09-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Well yes, but having seen them in person on the G05, you can't see the yellow sticker unless you're standing right in front of the car, bend down, and know exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise, you'd never notice it's there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natlguy View Post

If you do get the laser lights, I did have a dealer confirm these yellow stickers are placed there like in this thread... deal breaker...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537262
A little sticker is a deal breaker for safety equipment? Talk about LOL
Appreciate 1
akhter418.50
      11-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #21
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Because people are getting laser lights because of their safety factor

It's about looks, and you know what doesn't look good... that's right a giant yellow hazard sticker on the inside of your headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #22
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Quote:
Because people are getting laser lights because of their safety factor

It's about looks, and you know what doesn't look good... that's right a giant yellow hazard sticker on the inside of your headlight assembly.
People =/= You
Appreciate 0