BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Gets Confused Between My Key Fob And Wife's Key Fob

05-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

X7 Gets Confused Between My Key Fob And Wife's Key Fob

Wife and I walk out to the garage. Both of us have our BMW keys. I unlock the BMW by grabbing the door handle and hop in. (BMW is set to unlock only when you touch the handle or use the key fob and lock when walking away). My wife walks by the car after I am already in the car with my key fob. When my wife reaches the point where the vehicle would normally lock the BMW locks the doors, folds the mirrors, and turns off the screens even though I'm sitting in the car with my key fob. The vehicle no longer recognizes my key, will not start, and tells me the key is not detected. I have to pull my key fob out of my pocket and unlock the BMW with my key fob before the vehicle will recognize my key again.

This has been a problem since I took delivery with iStep version 07/2019.59. A couple of weeks ago I took it to the dealer for this and some other iDrive issues as well as my first oil change. They updated iDrive to 03/2020.31 but the issue still remains. Both key fobs have new batteries.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue?

I believe this is a bug related to driver profiles. My wife and I both have our own profiles. I also believe this is related to another issue I've experienced where I leave my wife in the car with her key fob and go into the store with my key fob. Within a minute or less the car alarm goes off even though my wife is sitting in the car with her key fob in her purse. It's obviously detecting her movement in the car but is NOT detecting her key fob.

The auto industry obviously has a long way to go when it comes to integrating technology in vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
I'm on the July version and don't have these issues, but my wife never setup a profile on either key to begin with.

I do have an issue that whenever anyone leaves my car, it warns me that the key is no longer in the vehicle. Not really an issue as there are no alarms if I open the door or anything, but it's basically teaching me to ignore that warning. It's understandable if it was the wife with the key in her purse leaving, but I could be alone dropping off my 7 y/o at school where she exits the backdoor on her own and it will notify me, so I'm not surprised there's more glitchy stuff going on.
      05-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I'm on the July version and don't have these issues, but my wife never setup a profile on either key to begin with.

I do have an issue that whenever anyone leaves my car, it warns me that the key is no longer in the vehicle. Not really an issue as there are no alarms if I open the door or anything, but it's basically teaching me to ignore that warning. It's understandable if it was the wife with the key in her purse leaving, but I could be alone dropping off my 7 y/o at school where she exits the backdoor on her own and it will notify me, so I'm not surprised there's more glitchy stuff going on.
I'm guessing that if you setup a profile for your wife's key that you would probably see the same situation that I have. Glitchy at best.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Wife and I walk out to the garage. Both of us have our BMW keys. I unlock the BMW by grabbing the door handle and hop in. (BMW is set to unlock only when you touch the handle or use the key fob and lock when walking away). My wife walks by the car after I am already in the car with my key fob. When my wife reaches the point where the vehicle would normally lock the BMW locks the doors, folds the mirrors, and turns off the screens even though I'm sitting in the car with my key fob. The vehicle no longer recognizes my key, will not start, and tells me the key is not detected. I have to pull my key fob out of my pocket and unlock the BMW with my key fob before the vehicle will recognize my key again.

This has been a problem since I took delivery with iStep version 07/2019.59. A couple of weeks ago I took it to the dealer for this and some other iDrive issues as well as my first oil change. They updated iDrive to 03/2020.31 but the issue still remains. Both key fobs have new batteries.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue?

I believe this is a bug related to driver profiles. My wife and I both have our own profiles. I also believe this is related to another issue I've experienced where I leave my wife in the car with her key fob and go into the store with my key fob. Within a minute or less the car alarm goes off even though my wife is sitting in the car with her key fob in her purse. It's obviously detecting her movement in the car but is NOT detecting her key fob.

The auto industry obviously has a long way to go when it comes to integrating technology in vehicles.
We are having the same problem and it is intermittent. She will go to drive the car and it won't start and says "hold vehicle key up to marking on steering column". If she locks and then unlocks the car with her key FOB the car starts fine. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. Like I said the problem is intermittent. I posted a picture of the error message.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
We are having the same problem and it is intermittent. She will go to drive the car and it won't start and says "hold vehicle key up to marking on steering column". If she locks and then unlocks the car with her key FOB the car starts fine. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. Like I said the problem is intermittent. I posted a picture of the error message.
Yeah, I'm guessing even if they could duplicate it they wouldn't be able to fix it. I think it's a bug they haven't been able to resolve yet and probably don't even know how to solve it.

Like I said previously, the auto industry has a long way to go when it comes to technology in vehicles.

I haven't checked but I'm guessing that other manufactures that use "Profiles" tied to key fobs are probably having similar issues with key fobs and profiles.
Appreciate 0