Just get mines done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
jungjiyungg
Registered
Rep
Drives: x7

Hey guys, just got our X7 and looking to do this as well.
Just to confirm on this MOD...
I have to put the armrest in the service position as shown in the picture, and I have to somehow pry open the part of the armrest and then use the t27 star to remove the bolt?
Much apreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
NYCillini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMX X7 xDrive40i

On a similar topic

1) if someone could confirm it is a T27 star to remove the armrest screw, that would be great

But also…..

2) is there a way to put the armrests in the completely vertical “up” position? I am converting the captains chairs area with covers etc to be more compatible with my pooch and would like to have the armrests in the “up” position, if that makes sense?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #26
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCillini View Post
1) if someone could confirm it is a T27 star to remove the armrest screw, that would be great

But also…..

2) is there a way to put the armrests in the completely vertical “up” position? I am converting the captains chairs area with covers etc to be more compatible with my pooch and would like to have the armrests in the “up” position, if that makes sense?

Thank you.
PIPEDR used t27, I used 4mm. Think both work.

Arms do rotate upward, but no way to lock them in that position from what I recall
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #27
mck28
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Thanks to jokinawa for service manual documents, the process is easier than I thought. The armrest position is key and just one bolt removal, some pulling and they're off!
Can anyone describe step 2: unclip the trim? Is that a button I press to unclip the armrest? Maybe I am not in the correct position?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #28
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Thanks for this! Its a must with two car seats if anyone wants to slide through the middle. I would probably put it back on once the car seats are done.
      01-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #29
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

No kids here and I love the arm rest which is why I purchased the captain chairs for the rear so adults compile sit comfortably on long rides. Glad it's an easy fix for most but I'll leave mine intact.

Always nice to find out there's a quick an easy solution to an issue without going back to the dealer and getting ripped off 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #30
ClassicM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M760i, X7

I have loosened the armrest bolts no problem but I can't get the armrests off no matter how hard I pull. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #31
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicM View Post
I have loosened the armrest bolts no problem but I can't get the armrests off no matter how hard I pull. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Did you do Step 1, positioning the armrest in the service position?

Service Position is shown in OP's original post.

If you did, try 1 click up or 1 click down on the armrest, since the service position of the armrest is relative to the seat backrest.

BTW, this procedure just confirms that the rear captain's seat armrests are NOT heated, which is a great option in the 7-series.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #32
NYCillini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMX X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCillini View Post
We had a 2019 with captain's chairs and just traded into a 2022 that is bench. We tried everything to try and convert the captain's to be bench-like and really never solved it. We ended up putting the dog bed back there to help bridge the gap and help the dog not be so unsteady back there.

Regarding armrests "up", we were able to jam/force them up and they just stayed in that up position nearly 100% of the time. We only had people in our backseats maybe 5 times in the 2 years we had the vehicle.

The problem we had, that we could never solve, is that both the seat and the seat-back have curved pieces on their extremities that "hug" a human's body. It's very comfortable for people; however, it makes it incredibly difficult to "build' or create anything that would mimc flat area similar to a bench seat. We looked into and tried seemingly everything.

Our 45 pound dog much prefers the bench seat of our 2022. It's not an entire reason to purchase or not purchase a vehicle; however, it's something worth considering. Our thought was "we'll just get captains and figure it out" and frankly we really never "figured it out".
Appreciate 0