BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum did you reqret not having driver assist pro?

12-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

did you reqret not having driver assist pro?

Ive been offered 12% for a 2019 that doesn't have the driver assist package. I can't find another car with the color option I want with this package. Debating on if I should pull the trigger. Driver Assist is something I really wanted and that's the only reason why I didn't buy this car when I drove it a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

I have it, I ordered it and not having it would be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have it and not having it would have been a deal breaker. Also just my opinion, these vehicles are high end and expensive, so at minimum it should have the options I desire to have, otherwise later I wished I did. It's just me, how I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

sales managers that don't order it are idiots...they should also order park assist.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

I was skeptical at first. Ordered it and now ain't no way in hell I'd get another BMW without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
AndyGlaister
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

Garage List
If you have spent any time in a Tesla, it's far, far from what a Tesla can do. Even v1 of the Tesla Autopilot ~5 years ago was better. it has too many buttons, doesn't hold the center of the lane very well and I don't trust it on anything with corners or complicated roads. It is better than nothing, but it's really not worth paying for - honestly, this technology is advancing so quickly, if you waited 3-5 years and got the next version, you would be much better off.

If you found the perfect car, and it's only missing this option, sure, buy it. I'm pretty confident my wife will never use it in our X7, it's too complicated and doesn't work that well.

Andy
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGlaister View Post
If you have spent any time in a Tesla, it's far, far from what a Tesla can do. Even v1 of the Tesla Autopilot ~5 years ago was better. it has too many buttons, doesn't hold the center of the lane very well and I don't trust it on anything with corners or complicated roads. It is better than nothing, but it's really not worth paying for - honestly, this technology is advancing so quickly, if you waited 3-5 years and got the next version, you would be much better off.

If you found the perfect car, and it's only missing this option, sure, buy it. I'm pretty confident my wife will never use it in our X7, it's too complicated and doesn't work that well.

Andy
A car is a car. Finish the deal and get your final out the door price. Then say you have to add the package. Add the price of the package to your final deal price and tell the dealer to order it for you at that amount. They'll do it or go to the next dealer.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
Driver Assist is something I really wanted and that's the only reason why I didn't buy this car when I drove it a few weeks ago.
you will regret it. wait for the right car not the right price. you will never ever say to yourself "sh!t i wish i had this option... but at least i got a good deal" but you will forget the price and every time you drive it say "i wish i had this feature".
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      12-07-2019, 01:23 AM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Ive been offered 12% for a 2019 that doesn't have the driver assist package. I can't find another car with the color option I want with this package. Debating on if I should pull the trigger. Driver Assist is something I really wanted and that's the only reason why I didn't buy this car when I drove it a few weeks ago.
Is it a 2019 50i? If so, it's standard. Not the case on 2020's.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

I pulled the trigger yesterday. After testing the lane keep assist on the way home I was disappointed tos ay it wasn't on par with the XC90. at 13.5% off MSRP I was ok with not having driver assist for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I pulled the trigger yesterday. After testing the lane keep assist on the way home I was disappointed tos ay it wasn't on par with the XC90. at 13.5% off MSRP I was ok with not having driver assist for a few years.
Can you elaborate on this? What exactly wasn't on par with the Volvo XC90?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
shamun160
Private
Rep
Drives: GT4, 328i Wagon, XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Curious here to. Leaving an xc90 and I don't trust the Volvo on much of anything. It does ok in stop and go, but causes panic stops if there is anything with moderate acceleration and braking in front of me. Highway is disappointing on anything beyond a 5 degree bend and perfect lines. Chasing off ramp lines is really annoying. Definitely would not pay extra for the Volvo system.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

I just faced this same dilemma on an X5. The only one they had that had DAP didn't have the HUD. I ultimately chose the one with HUD as I use it every time I drive the car. A tough decision but ultimately the right one for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
Zavanelli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamun160 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Curious here to. Leaving an xc90 and I don't trust the Volvo on much of anything. It does ok in stop and go, but causes panic stops if there is anything with moderate acceleration and braking in front of me. Highway is disappointing on anything beyond a 5 degree bend and perfect lines. Chasing off ramp lines is really annoying. Definitely would not pay extra for the Volvo system.
Leaving an XC90. I would agree the lane keeping assist isn't very useful in the Volvo. I thought it was useful at first but then started driving without it in and noticed that I wasn't as fatigued. Fighting the lane keep assist with adjustments all the time is more fatiguing than just driving with the adaptive cruise on. I'm hopeful the BMW system is better. X7 on order so we'll see soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

I have it and would not buy without it. I use it on every long trip as long as the roads are clearly marked the X7 drives it self. I personally think it works great.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

When I let go of the steering wheel to see how well it handles the road... on straight road if for whatever reason the car veers, it doesn't pull back until it almost or sometime hit the lane and when it does pull back it jerks it back. On a curve road, forget it.

In the Volvo, i stick a water bottle in the corner of the steering wheel on a long road trip tricking the system to think my hand is on the wheel, I can let go for miles and the vehicle will remain quite center.

Regardless, although it's a $1700 option, I would have to pay a about 7k more to get the car I wanted (2019 vs 2020) plus a slew of other options I didn't care for, IE: hitch, running boards, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #17
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

As others have mentioned, straight roads are fine, but on the curvy roads it almost jerks a bit. Not as smooth as I would like. By comparison to Tesla, I beg to differ that the Autopilot system is better. I have stopped using my Autopilot on the Model X completely as there is inherently an issue with phantom braking. Basically at highway speeds, the car would jump on the breaks as if there is something ahead of me stopped. Literally would drop from 75 to 60 as I take over and step on the throttle so nobody rear ends me. This is the same for my Model 3 as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #18
becka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 750i

I can say this feature saved me big time from preventing an accident and wont get another BMW without it. Trying to find an X7 with it in stock and the other features we want has been challenging. I am very surprised that BMW doesnt have this included as a standard feature on the their cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #19
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
When I let go of the steering wheel to see how well it handles the road... on straight road if for whatever reason the car veers, it doesn't pull back until it almost or sometime hit the lane and when it does pull back it jerks it back. On a curve road, forget it.

In the Volvo, i stick a water bottle in the corner of the steering wheel on a long road trip tricking the system to think my hand is on the wheel, I can let go for miles and the vehicle will remain quite center.

Regardless, although it's a $1700 option, I would have to pay a about 7k more to get the car I wanted (2019 vs 2020) plus a slew of other options I didn't care for, IE: hitch, running boards, etc...
You sure your turning on assisted driving? You turn on the cruise control and then press for assisted driving. When you get in heavy traffic under 37mph it will offer a third mode, full hands free driving. The vehicle does have lane keep assist, but that is not the same as assisted driving. I just drove over 2000 miles and used it most of the way. Keeps car centered nicely. In heavy slow stop and go freeway traffic, it's awesome. I just sit there monitoring. It does all the driving and will even lane change automatically if I press the turn signal.

And, we have a Volvo too. I do the water bottle trick also. (You cant trick the bmw like that. It must have capacitance or pressure sensors in the steering wheel). The Volvo does not change lanes automatically either, plus you have to tap the accelerator after it comes to a full stop a lot of times to resume. I like the bmw system better, especially the full hands free heavy traffic mode.

Last edited by crackerjack15; 12-11-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0