BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Software Upgrade issue

07-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
416O
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Exclamation X7 Software Upgrade issue

I am new to this Forum but wanted to share my story hoping to prevent you from experiencing the same issue.

Last Sunday I drove my 2019 X7 40i for shopping (60 miles away from home) with my family and got "software upgrade is ready, install now" message when I was at a parking lot for Lunch. I thought it would be an easy one so I clicked OK. One more message showed up asking me if the car was parked in a safe place and I pushed OK (or Yes). 20-30min process ended with a message that read, "Software upgrade failed". I didn't notice any issues at the time, so I thought just do it later, but I soon found out that I couldn't turn on the engine!! "Vehicle not ready-to-operate. Please call Roadside Assistance." This message showed up on the console. I called roadside assistance (which had a long wait time until it connected) and was told that the car requires towing. What the fxxk!? It seems BMW forgot to add a function to revert a change back to the original state if something wrong happened. To make this worse, the first tow truck guy and I found out that there was no way to put the car into neutral gear. Wow. So the guy with flatbed needed to exchange the truck to a one with wheel-lift. Why couldn't BMW explain to the towing company at the beginning that the car can't be put into neutral and ask them to bring the wheel-lift truck!? It cost me 6 hours, just to get my car towed!! This is not just an issue with the upgrade, but it's a car system that turned a nice Sunday to a day filled with stress and headaches.

I would strongly recommend you not to running the software upgrade by yourself, unless BMW comes up with a better upgrade system.

Name:  Pi1.png
Views: 818
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  Pi2.png
Views: 753
Size:  1.54 MB
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      07-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Yeah, I won't be upgrading at home. Sorry to hear and thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
You are the second X7 owner to report this issue on this forum a few weeks ago. The other person with this issue has a thread not too far down the page and had a similar situation as you - out shopping and had a failed software upgrade attempt. At least the tow truck guy knew to use dollies to get your X7 up on a flatbed properly. The other guy had his X7 dragged up on the flatbed.

I am sure there are other models that have experienced this issue, not just the X7. One issue is an isolated incident, two is a trend... Most BMW owners are not on enthusiast forums so this issue is probably more prevalent that what we are seeing here (and the X7 community is already pretty small anyway compared to other models). It would not surprise me if BMW pulls the plug on OTA pretty soon for a while....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
You are the second X7 owner to report this issue on this forum a few weeks ago. The other person with this issue has a thread not too far down the page and had a similar situation as you - out shopping and had a failed software upgrade attempt. At least the tow truck guy knew to use dollies to get your X7 up on a flatbed properly. The other guy had his X7 dragged up on the flatbed.

I am sure there are other models that have experienced this issue, not just the X7. One issue is an isolated incident, two is a trend... Most BMW owners are not on enthusiast forums so this issue is probably more prevalent that what we are seeing here (and the X7 community is already pretty small anyway compared to other models). It would not surprise me if BMW pulls the plug on OTA pretty soon for a while....

Yeah the other gent had the exact same thing. They need to make the process bulletproof or get rid of it until they can. Someone could potentially be stranded in a not so good situation because of this. I did my update recently at home during business hours (BMW) is close by and had no issues. I got to thinking had I clicked the button while on my vacation I could have been stranded, glad I read the forum prior.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Three things here and in quoting another user. For the first one.

1) Do the OTA updates in your dealers parking lot 🤦🏻*♂️

2) I'm pretty sure there's a way to put the gear into neutral, I've done it before in 5 series.

3) have you tried 🆘 button in your car, I'm sure they can do remote start without even having a key, that also I've done before.

Side note that I've done these in a different country. But nevertheless the tech is in the vehicle since the early 2000's
      07-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Three things here and in quoting another user. For the first one.

1) Do the OTA updates in your dealers parking lot 🤦🏻*♂️

2) I'm pretty sure there's a way to put the gear into neutral, I've done it before in 5 series.

3) have you tried 🆘 button in your car, I'm sure they can do remote start without even having a key, that also I've done before.

Side note that I've done these in a different country. But nevertheless the tech is in the vehicle since the early 2000's
I posted the two factory procedures of how to put the G07 into neutral in the other thread. One is a mechanical method that requires going under the car (and removing an under panel). The second involves pushing the start button and a few other buttons in the car in a specific sequence - but this method is dependent on how much power/control you have in the vehicle. Neither method would be familiar to your typical road side assistance tow truck driver.

BMW no longer offers the previous mechanical method to get an automatic into neutral, which was a latch and/or key located close to the shifter. Apparently, it was a cost saving measure.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50