BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Digital key using IPhone linked to profile

09-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Digital key using IPhone linked to profile

Just picked up my 21 M50i. I was able to program my iPhone as a digital key to unlock the door and start the car. What I can’t do is link my iPhone digital key to my iPhone. I can however link the card digital key to my profile. Has anyone tried this and had success?

I will also add that I know only one digital key can be linked to a profile. After I added the card to my profile, I deleted it to try to add the iPhone with no luck. I moved it every direction on the charging pad but it won’t recognize it.

Last edited by 812Superfast; 09-13-2020 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Just picked up my 21 M50i. I was able to program my iPhone as a digital key to unlock the door and start the car. What I can’t do is link my iPhone digital key to my iPhone. I can however link the card digital key to my profile. Has anyone tried this and had success?

I will also add that I know only one digital key can be linked to a profile. After I added the card to my profile, I deleted it to try to add the iPhone with no luck. I moved it every direction on the charging pad but it won’t recognize it.
Not quite sure what you mean by linking the iPhone digital key to your iPhone..I also picked mine up yesterday and was able to add the iPhone and my physical card provided to me when I took delivery and linked both to my profile. My iPhone digital key now shows up in my iPhone wallet, I also tried sending an "invite" to my wife's iPhone and that also worked and she is able to unlock and start my car now with her iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by linking the iPhone digital key to your iPhone..I also picked mine up yesterday and was able to add the iPhone and my physical card provided to me when I took delivery and linked both to my profile. My iPhone digital key now shows up in my iPhone wallet, I also tried sending an "invite" to my wife's iPhone and that also worked and she is able to unlock and start my car now with her iPhone.
Yes I can do all of that but in driver profiles, it gives to option to recognize the digital key and set your profile. It was acting weird all day, not pairing to my phone and not allowing car play. Now it seems to be working correctly. Before when I was using my iPhone to unlock and start the car, it would default to the guest driver profile. Now it seems to remember me when I use my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Yes I can do all of that but in driver profiles, it gives to option to recognize the digital key and set your profile. It was acting weird all day, not pairing to my phone and not allowing car play. Now it seems to be working correctly. Before when I was using my iPhone to unlock and start the car, it would default to the guest driver profile. Now it seems to remember me when I use my iPhone.
Had the same guest profile issue in MY20 and I believe it's something to do with bmw servers rather than anything wrong with your vehicle.

Drove me nuts for hours as I was coding and thought I screwed up.
      09-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

I have a 2021 X7 M50i and have Digital Key working on my iPhone 11 Pro without issue.

I will say the initial set up is not very intuitive. The day I picked up my car I got an automated email with my Digital Key PIN and kept using that PIN one over and over without luck. After a few different attempts including the QR code set up, I realized it was easier to reset Digital Key altogether in iDrive and wait a minute for a NEW email with a new PIN. Once I did it that way, I activated the Digital Key via the direct email link (vs manual PIN or QR code) and I was all set. It did take me a good while to figure this out though. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
I have a 2021 X7 M50i and have Digital Key working on my iPhone 11 Pro without issue.

I will say the initial set up is not very intuitive. The day I picked up my car I got an automated email with my Digital Key PIN and kept using that PIN one over and over without luck. After a few different attempts including the QR code set up, I realized it was easier to reset Digital Key altogether in iDrive and wait a minute for a NEW email with a new PIN. Once I did it that way, I activated the Digital Key via the direct email link (vs manual PIN or QR code) and I was all set. It did take me a good while to figure this out though. Hope this helps!
Does this apply to Android as well?
Never got that Digital Key PIN yet from anyone and would love to figure out how to get it.