BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2021 X7 M50i Distance control frustration

09-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

2021 X7 M50i Distance control frustration

I am thoroughly enjoying my new X7. It has everything one could want on a new SUV. Looks, power, luxury, tech, comfort, etc. I was driving an Infiniti QX80 previously which is substantially larger but also comfortable and had good tech at the time.

There is one simple feature that the QX80 had that was also on my 2012 QX56 that I really miss on the X7. It had a button on the steering wheel that when pressed, would detect a car/object in front of you and keep a proper distance from it. Even if you mashed the gas, it would not let you get any closer. Over 150,000 miles in QX's, I never had one malfunction of the system. It also had adaptive cruise control which basically combined the distance function with cruise control. However, it operated independently.

In the X7, I have forward collision set to early and I get the red light on the IP sometimes but never had brake intervention. I also have the driving assistance professional package that includes the cruise control with driving assistance or just distance control. I also have the traffic jam system that I haven't used yet.

So the feature I am wanting is the way the vehicle drives when using cruise control with distance control without actually having to set a speed. Hopefully this makes sense. It basically allows you to drive in stop and go traffic or at freeway speeds using only the gas. It will keep you at a safe distance without invoking emergency braking (although on the QX, it would nail the brakes and wind in the seat belts if it had to).

So for those of you that took the time to read all of this, am I using the systems correctly? Can I just use distance control without having to set a speed?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Farooqshaik
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i Pure Excellence '19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
I am thoroughly enjoying my new X7. It has everything one could want on a new SUV. Looks, power, luxury, tech, comfort, etc. I was driving an Infiniti QX80 previously which is substantially larger but also comfortable and had good tech at the time.

There is one simple feature that the QX80 had that was also on my 2012 QX56 that I really miss on the X7. It had a button on the steering wheel that when pressed, would detect a car/object in front of you and keep a proper distance from it. Even if you mashed the gas, it would not let you get any closer. Over 150,000 miles in QX's, I never had one malfunction of the system. It also had adaptive cruise control which basically combined the distance function with cruise control. However, it operated independently.

In the X7, I have forward collision set to early and I get the red light on the IP sometimes but never had brake intervention. I also have the driving assistance professional package that includes the cruise control with driving assistance or just distance control. I also have the traffic jam system that I haven't used yet.

So the feature I am wanting is the way the vehicle drives when using cruise control with distance control without actually having to set a speed. Hopefully this makes sense. It basically allows you to drive in stop and go traffic or at freeway speeds using only the gas. It will keep you at a safe distance without invoking emergency braking (although on the QX, it would nail the brakes and wind in the seat belts if it had to).

So for those of you that took the time to read all of this, am I using the systems correctly? Can I just use distance control without having to set a speed?
Even I got same issue coming from Range Rover. RR doesn't stop me getting closure to the vehicle in the front but will give loud beep to alert. But my X7 didn't do anything though I got all safety packages. I asked the same question on this forum few days back. You may want check that.

Traffic Jam assist is disabled for my region but I'm not sure if I can activate it by coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

I saw your other post and made the same comment but no one really said much so I started my own thread. The tech in the Infiniti for forward collision is at least 10 years old and works better than the 2021 X7. Without activating anything, it would act like the BMW with audible warnings, brake pre-conditioning and seat belt tightening and would slam the brakes on if needed. OR you could press the DCA button on the wheel and it would softly keep you away from cars, objects in front of you but would disable if you applied brakes. The cruise control worked the same way but you could adjust the distance (like in the BMW) or disable the distance function (also like in the BMW).

It's a feature that, based on my experience, the BMW should offer. It makes it easier to drive like a boss in a big vehicle without worrying about hitting anything. I really like the X7 other than this missing feature and the fact the automatic windows go down too slow. I guess that I should also include the assisted driving tried to quickly throw me in the other lane while going around a bend at 80 mph on the freeway. I won't use that feature again.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
I saw your other post and made the same comment but no one really said much so I started my own thread. The tech in the Infiniti for forward collision is at least 10 years old and works better than the 2021 X7. Without activating anything, it would act like the BMW with audible warnings, brake pre-conditioning and seat belt tightening and would slam the brakes on if needed. OR you could press the DCA button on the wheel and it would softly keep you away from cars, objects in front of you but would disable if you applied brakes. The cruise control worked the same way but you could adjust the distance (like in the BMW) or disable the distance function (also like in the BMW).

It's a feature that, based on my experience, the BMW should offer. It makes it easier to drive like a boss in a big vehicle without worrying about hitting anything. I really like the X7 other than this missing feature and the fact the automatic windows go down too slow. I guess that I should also include the assisted driving tried to quickly throw me in the other lane while going around a bend at 80 mph on the freeway. I won't use that feature again.
I bet that wasn't a fun experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Quote:

I had one instance when car started suddenly breaking I think I was a bit distracted 🤪

For distance control I think when you hit distance control it will take you curettage speed as max speed and it will slow down and accelerate when the traffic a front of you does the same, if you want to latch to the cR a front of you you need to set higher then actual speed so the car a front of you becomes you speed definition if this makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
It was not
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
I had one instance when car started suddenly breaking I think I was a bit distracted 🤪

For distance control I think when you hit distance control it will take you curettage speed as max speed and it will slow down and accelerate when the traffic a front of you does the same, if you want to latch to the cR a front of you you need to set higher then actual speed so the car a front of you becomes you speed definition if this makes sense.
It does make sense and I tried that. As soon you apply brakes, it turns off.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
It does make sense and I tried that. As soon you apply brakes, it turns off.
That's normal for cruise control. I think it's actually part of a requirement, as soon as brake lights go on - cruise control goes off. You have to hit resume and it will pick up where it left off without the need to reset the speed.
Appreciate 0