BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anyone tint their X7?

08-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #45
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
I'm in NYC.

The front windows are not 70. They were in the 90s. I had them measured. Can't remember exact. It was low 90s. The back was in the 20s

That's why photosync 75 came out to 66.

I'm giving vlt.
According to the stamp on the windows from the factory, the windshield and the front windows are 70%. The factory tinted windows and the sunroof are 20%....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      08-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #46
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
I'm in NYC.

The front windows are not 70. They were in the 90s. I had them measured. Can't remember exact. It was low 90s. The back was in the 20s

I'm giving vlt.
I didn't measure it. I'm going by what the label on the glass says and from what I saw at the tint shop. The label on the windshield and front door glass both say Min VLT 70%.

I held up a piece of clear glass with tint from 100% (clear glass) down to 5% (limo) next to the front door and windshield, and the factory glass was definitely darker than 90%. Air blue 90 on the glass sample was definitely letting more light through than the factory windshield and front windows. I would say air blue 80 was closer to the factory glass. (they didn't have a 75% sample, only 90, 80, 50, 35, 15, 5)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #47
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i (loaded)

Quote:
I'm in NYC.

I'm giving vlt.
Great. Where did you get the tint done? I am in Westchester so a trip to the city is quick. Also, the cops in my town ticket for everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #48
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM517 View Post
Quote:
I'm in NYC.

I'm giving vlt.
Great. Where did you get the tint done? I am in Westchester so a trip to the city is quick. Also, the cops in my town ticket for everything.
Art of tint in Brooklyn. They are the only authorized photosync in the area and known to do high end and celeb vehicles. Google their site

They can measure the windows first and you can decide what you want to do then.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #49
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
film choice

After 3 cars of spectra photosync, I would go cheap on this one and try other options. The shop I go offer Xpel Prime, Huper Optik and 3M Crystalline at the same price. Any recommendation?
First time to tint the windshield and I assume no impact on HUD?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #50
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
After 3 cars of spectra photosync, I would go cheap on this one and try other options. The shop I go offer Xpel Prime, Huper Optik and 3M Crystalline at the same price. Any recommendation?
HUD works fine. I don't know if it's dimmer or not but I see it fine. The sunroof lights are also dimmer but you can still see it. Not as nice as before Tint, but trade off is the heat rejection
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #51
cavalierx7
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7

I've had my last 5 vehicles tinted, and exploring the x7. I think the back tint is pretty good so far, but have not had the vehicle in the dead of summer. My question is about the removal of door panels.

With this being a newer build vehicle, (i.e. not much history) i'm a bit leery to have a shop remove the panel to tint the window below the seal. This is an assumption of course, has anyone who has had tint encountered any issues with the the actual process or post install issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #52
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierx7 View Post
I've had my last 5 vehicles tinted, and exploring the x7. I think the back tint is pretty good so far, but have not had the vehicle in the dead of summer. My question is about the removal of door panels.

With this being a newer build vehicle, (i.e. not much history) i'm a bit leery to have a shop remove the panel to tint the window below the seal. This is an assumption of course, has anyone who has had tint encountered any issues with the the actual process or post install issues?
You can ask your tint shop if they've done any X7's.
Mine didn't remove the whole panel, just the top portion and only for a few minutes as they applied the tint to the glass that was hidden under the panel.
It wasn't the first X7 they've done though. The installer said it's not really any different than the X5 other than the rear doors are a bit bigger.

The factory tint doesn't really provide any heat rejection. It's just dark. Made a huge difference for me after I had all glass tinted.

I didn't go too dark on the sunroof as it would make the LED's not visible. I only got 35% on the sunroof. We tested 5, 15, 35, 50% tint on the sunroof and 5 & 15 were too dark (couldn't really see the LED anymore). Wish they had a 20 or 25% but they didn't carry those anymore. So settled on 35%. Even on hot sunny days we don't feel much heat coming down from the sunroof anymore. Yet at night we can still clearly see the LED lights.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #53
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:

Removal of door panels (if needed) should be pretty easy for a competent tint installer since they do it all the time. Find a reputable shop and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #54
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

Got mine tinted
They didn't remove the door panel
There was a small trim piece that he removed finished the tint and simply plugged it back. It was a piece along the window and very thin. One.
      10-30-2020, 12:18 AM   #55
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
I've gone with Xpel 20 on the rears, windshield and 5 front. It's a pretty decent film and combines a lot of aspects to come out with a very suitable film.

Not that best in best rejection, but definitely the best in visibility among the ceramics.
      10-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #56
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:

Got mine tinted
There was a small trim piece that he removed finished the tint and simply plugged it back. It was a piece along the window and very thin. One.
There is no need to remove the door panels. I believe they only tint the visible area. I got entire car tinted including All sunroof panels. They stick it to the outside to measure and cut, then apply it to the inside which is a mirror image of what they did on the outside
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #57
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:

Got mine tinted
There is no need to remove the door panels. I believe they only tint the visible area. I got entire car tinted including All sunroof panels. They stick it to the outside to measure and cut, then apply it to the inside which is a mirror image of what they did on the outside
That is true, when you want to replace the moving windows tint in a year or two from all the rubbing against the window seals.

Unless the tinter slides it in the window deep enough to eliminate that risk of contact. Which is sometime very difficult considering how tight that space is.

But then again each to his own.

Hope yours proves me wrong and holds