forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum OTA Software update

10-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
pandyarajen
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7

OTA Software update

New to X7, still waiting for delivery but I do have Tesla Model X that receives very frequent OTA software updates. But it relies on being connected to my home wifi. Does BMW need you to connect wifi OR it downloads with its own cellular network? Also, do you know the release notes when it gets released or do i have to remember and google to know what new features/bug fixes were received.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

BMW hasn't been widely doing OTA updates. Rumor is a big one is coming in the next few weeks to bring software to 07/2020 level. Your 2021 should already have the latest software.

It doesn't need wifi, it downloads over it's own cellular link or you can download on your bmw connected app on your phone and update it through your phone's connection. (at least that's what the available information online suggests).

I'm still waiting for my update. Spoke with my local dealer's genius for an hour this past weekend about various idrive issues and OTA updates. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll see an update and it'll fix the # of software issues I'm experiencing.

BMW is far from Tesla in terms of OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Got a call from the Genius at my local dealer yesterday. He said they just got official word from BMWNA that the OTA update started going out to cars in the USA on October 25th. He said it may take a few weeks before I see it show up on my car (late MY2020 build) as they are restricting the push to only a few thousand cars a day.

He also said that BMWNA told them that they've been instructed from now on software updates done at the dealer will not be covered under warranty unless it is to fix an issue explicitly specified in the release notes and the dealer can duplicate the issue. He says some dealers may still do updates if the customer asks for it, and just eat the cost of it or make it up else where (like jacking up the price of an oil change even more).

He offered to give me a free update in the shop if I don't receive it OTA in the next few weeks because we've had a case open with BMWNA for the past 4+ months on a couple software issues. He is not sure if they will be fixed with this latest update as the release notes didn't directly list those issues as resolved in them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
pandyarajen
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Got a call from the Genius at my local dealer yesterday. He said they just got official word from BMWNA that the OTA update started going out to cars in the USA on October 25th. He said it may take a few weeks before I see it show up on my car (late MY2020 build) as they are restricting the push to only a few thousand cars a day.

He also said that BMWNA told them that they've been instructed from now on software updates done at the dealer will not be covered under warranty unless it is to fix an issue explicitly specified in the release notes and the dealer can duplicate the issue. He says some dealers may still do updates if the customer asks for it, and just eat the cost of it or make it up else where (like jacking up the price of an oil change even more).

He offered to give me a free update in the shop if I don't receive it OTA in the next few weeks because we've had a case open with BMWNA for the past 4+ months on a couple software issues. He is not sure if they will be fixed with this latest update as the release notes didn't directly list those issues as resolved in them.
Thanks for this. This is such a faux pa from BMW. They continue to nickel dime their customers. Buy almost 100k car, and get charged for software updates that can improve your ownership. This is why Tesla rules for customer satisfaction. I hope BMW listens and changes their ways.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:

If they are doing OTA updated, then the dealer shouldn't have to do them. Or are the OTA updates for infotainment systems only?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
If they are doing OTA updated, then the dealer shouldn't have to do them. Or are the OTA updates for infotainment systems only?
Supposedly if your car has idrive 7 (which the X7 does) the OTA update will contain updates for infotainment, engine/transmission and safety systems. So basically all computer software in the car. At Least that's what bmw genius said.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
OTA updates update all the ECU's in the car, which includes new cell phone functionality. This is apparently new to cars with iDrive 7 (like the X7), but is not the case on the F-series BMWs. Also, unless BMW changed their OTA policies, the update you get via OTA will not be the latest update available. BMW updates the software quarterly. The current software is 07/2020.xx, with 11/2020.xx about to be released in November, which will only be available from the dealer. The OTA updates typically lag the most current dealer updates available by one quarter. So beginning in November, 07/2020.xx should be available via OTA. Also keep in mind that BMW has a weird algorithm to determine which cars get updates and which don't. I have owned my X7 since Mar and have never been offered an OTA update. But I have had my software updated by the dealer twice to address a few warranty issues, and I will be on the schedule to get the 11/2020.xx software next month to address another issue.

As far as getting the dealer to do updates under warranty (i.e. free), typically if you complain about an issue with the car, especially an iDrive issue, you will almost always get the update done under warranty - this has always worked for me over the years. I doubt that will change now as the dealers want to keep their customers happy and a software update is not manpower intensive.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I doubt that will change now as the dealers want to keep their customers happy and a software update is not manpower intensive.
Actually, this is not entirely true. My dealer has voiced his frustrations with many updates that have taken hours to perform due to unforeseen issues. Obviously, this is not the case for every update on every vehicle. However, I believe many dealers refuse to eat the cost unless their customer demands it.

In my dealer's case, they have been great at obliging me with updates. They always add a statement in the work order identifying a customer issue on a known Service Information Bulletin (SIB)/Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in order to justify the update under a warranty claim.

I also review all the SIBs before service if I want an update that addresses a need or want that the update addresses.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Actually, this is not entirely true. My dealer has voiced his frustrations with many updates that have taken hours to perform due to unforeseen issues. Obviously, this is not the case for every update on every vehicle. However, I believe many dealers refuse to eat the cost unless their customer demands it.

In my dealer's case, they have been great at obliging me with updates. They always add a statement in the work order identifying a customer issue on a known Service Information Bulletin (SIB)/Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in order to justify the update under a warranty claim.

I also review all the SIBs before service if I want an update that addresses a need or want that the update addresses.

Seems like they are trying to clamp down on warranty costs. They are moving to OTA so that the cars will always have the latest software so that they don't have to pay warranty money for the updates. Once warranty is up, they will probably start requiring some level of connected services subscription to get OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
I doubt that will change now as the dealers want to keep their customers happy and a software update is not manpower intensive.

Fair enough, but my experience over the years has been different. One other variable that comes into play, and what many customers may take for granted, is the relationship with the Service Advisor and/or the Service Manager - this is huge. As I have moved around quite a bit over the years due to my job, I have worked with several dealers. In all cases I have been able to develop a very good customer relationship with the SAs and in some cases, the SMs. Even with changes in policy with regards to what dealers can do, I have always been treated well. Karma works here IMHO. Also, as you mentioned, coming to the dealer armed with accurate info about the problem is always a good thing too as it helps to build a good relationship - I do this as well.

With regards to software updates in particular, I have always had very good success with getting the updates done. But then, I also had a valid reason/problem to justify it as well. In one instance I offered to pay for one as I did not think I had a valid reason, but the dealer still took care of me. As far as "issues" with software updates, I am not sure your dealer is being as transparent with you as he could be - at least not based on what I have been told by experienced BMW techs (and not all SAs are that knowledgeable either). The computers/ECUs in the older E-series BMWs were very problematic and it was not uncommon for ECUs to become "bricked" even when performing a factory software update. It was for that reason software updates were somewhat discouraged by dealers and done as more of a last resort. Also, the software updates on the older BMWs did take hours to complete as well. According to what a master tech told me once, when things usually go wrong (or long) is when the tech does not follow the troubleshooting procedures correctly. Or in some cases, the procedures themselves can take you down several "rabbit holes" before getting to the root cause of the problem. Having seen these procedures, as I have used the BMW diagnostic/technical software before (I own it), I can see how this could happen occasionally, even for a factory trained tech.

However since the F-series cars came on the scene, that is no longer the case. The ECUs are much more robust and are designed to be updated frequently, just like your cell phone. Depending on the size of the update, they don't take nearly as long either. In fact, in almost all trouble shooting procedures on modern BMWs, the first step is to update the software (I have seen this with my M3 and X7 several times).

Can things go wrong with a software update? Sure it can, and we have already seen some OTA updates that have gone horribly wrong leaving owners stranded. But if a dealer tech follows the factory procedures, a BMW software update is no more difficult than updating your cell phone (and it doesn't need to take up a bay in the shop).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
OTA updates update all the ECU's in the car, which includes new cell phone functionality. This is apparently new to cars with iDrive 7 (like the X7), but is not the case on the F-series BMWs. Also, unless BMW changed their OTA policies, the update you get via OTA will not be the latest update available. BMW updates the software quarterly. The current software is 07/2020.xx, with 11/2020.xx about to be released in November, which will only be available from the dealer. The OTA updates typically lag the most current dealer updates available by one quarter. So beginning in November, 07/2020.xx should be available via OTA. Also keep in mind that BMW has a weird algorithm to determine which cars get updates and which don't. I have owned my X7 since Mar and have never been offered an OTA update. But I have had my software updated by the dealer twice to address a few warranty issues, and I will be on the schedule to get the 11/2020.xx software next month to address another issue.

As far as getting the dealer to do updates under warranty (i.e. free), typically if you complain about an issue with the car, especially an iDrive issue, you will almost always get the update done under warranty - this has always worked for me over the years. I doubt that will change now as the dealers want to keep their customers happy and a software update is not manpower intensive.
I've had the 07/2020 for more than 2 months now, OTA. So not sure about that lag.

My x7 is in the shop now for the "very rare" Emergency Call Malfunction error... they said the shark fin has a leak (Nav was also off by a hundred miles as well as a few other glitches). Dealer system said there was a "courtesy"? software update that came up under my vin, so presuming this is 11/2020? Who knows.

I asked them to check the ancillary batteries as well relating what others have reported re: ECM error
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I was talking with BMW genius technical support today, they indicated BMW started pushing OTA version 07/2020 to all X7s but they are pushing it weekly with 25K batches. They started pushing OTA Last week., told me wait a week or two But I need to installl it. they said it will take 20min or so. I have version 3/2020.58. I am waiting for 7/2020 it adds Android Auto support and other Iphone carplay fixes. including improved BMW voice assistant and improved maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
I was talking with BMW genius technical support today, they indicated BMW started pushing OTA version 07/2020 to all X7s but they are pushing it weekly with 25K batches. They started pushing OTA Last week., told me wait a week or two But I need to installl it. they said it will take 20min or so. I have version 3/2020.58. I am waiting for 7/2020 it adds Android Auto support and other Iphone carplay fixes. including improved BMW voice assistant and improved maps.
That lines up with what the two Geniuses I spoke to said. OTA started going out on 10/25/2020 and they were doing a few thousand a day.

I asked how they were determining who would get selected what day and they had no idea. They said it was likely by production date/VIN.

I wonder how many X7's BMWUSA has sold in the 1.5+ years it's been on the market. If they're doing 25k a week, then in theory all vehicles should be covered in 2-3 weeks. I can't see them having sold more than 75k X7's in the first 1.5 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:57 AM   #14
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That lines up with what the two Geniuses I spoke to said. OTA started going out on 10/25/2020 and they were doing a few thousand a day.

I asked how they were determining who would get selected what day and they had no idea. They said it was likely by production date/VIN.

I wonder how many X7's BMWUSA has sold in the 1.5+ years it's been on the market. If they're doing 25k a week, then in theory all vehicles should be covered in 2-3 weeks. I can't see them having sold more than 75k X7's in the first 1.5 years.

here is the link to the article
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/10/16/b...idrive-update/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind that the X7 is not the only model that uses the "new" OTA process. Pretty much all G-series BMWs have this feature now, so that is a lot of cars. It is November now, so if the BMW OTA process is really better as a few others have mentioned above (and current), BMW should be pushing out 11/2020 now. But I will believe it when I see it...

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind that the X7 is not the only model that uses the "new" OTA process. Pretty much all G-series BMWs have this feature now, so that is a lot of cars. It is November now, so if the BMW OTA process is really better as a few others have mentioned above (and current), BMW should be pushing out 11/2020 now. But I will believe it when I see it...
When I spoke with BMW geniuses, they said they're pushing the 07/2020 version, and that is the version they sent to the dealerships as well. I did bring up the November version since they generate these quarterly, they said no. So they will be behind.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
When I spoke with BMW geniuses, they said they're pushing the 07/2020 version, and that is the version they sent to the dealerships as well. I did bring up the November version since they generate these quarterly, they said no. So they will be behind.
I don't think your genius is so smart, at least not according to my local dealer (specifically my SA and shop foreman). I have an issue that I am waiting to get resolved with a software update - this was a few weeks ago. I mentioned how I would prefer to wait for 11/2020 as there would be a higher probability that 11/2020 would fix the issue, plus include any new software features that may come with the bigger 11/2020 update. The dealer agreed, even recommending that I wait for 11/2020, and told me to contact them a few weeks into November when they should have the 11/2020 software in-house.

Unlike what was mentioned by a poster above, I will speculate that the OTA push, if you get one, will still be 7/2020 now. At least well into the current quarter. Possibly towards the end of the quarter the OTA may push the current quarter software, shortly before the release of 3/2021. But with any luck, BMW will continue to refine the OTA process as when it first started it did not seem like it was ready for prime time.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #18
yannisa
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2019 4.0

Hi everyone new on the x7 forum. Can any one help me here please. My car is stuck on this message the last two weeks. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #19
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Press and hold the volume button for 20+ seconds to reboot iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #20
yannisa
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2019 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Press and hold the volume button for 20+ seconds to reboot iDrive.
Did that two three times unfortunately no luck
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #21
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

You should contact the dealer to get a Genius to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #22
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep

Seems like there are too many issues with these its updates. A couple people on here are reporting non operational vehicles after an OTA update.
Appreciate 0