BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What will the dealer try to sell at the time of signing?

10-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

What will the dealer try to sell at the time of signing?

I saw some posts talking about extended warranty, windshield protection plan, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has a list of things that dealers normally try to sell to us at the time of signing/receiving the car? And, what might be worth to buy?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Usually they will show you a sheet of paper with a bunch of products at inflated prices (maintenance, extended warranty, wheel & tire protection). Then they will circle a few that they "recommend" and tell you they can do it for 50% off the price listed. Actual price is like 10-25% so if you really want any of it make sure you negotiate.

Everyone will have an opinion and anecdote whether any of these products are worth it (IMO, outside of a few exceptions, they usually aren't). My approach has been always to set aside the money and use it when maintenance/repairs were actually needed. By refusing any of the additional warranties I've been able to be "ahead" and even if any of my current vehicles have some catastrophic failure tomorrow, I will be able to pay for it few times over. Just my 2cts.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpzlcc View Post
I saw some posts talking about extended warranty, windshield protection plan, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has a list of things that dealers normally try to sell to us at the time of signing/receiving the car? And, what might be worth to buy?

Thanks!
The below is a generalization:
All of the protection/detailing services they sell are a waste of money. The dealership will contract with the lowest cost detailers for ceramic coatings etc and will charge the same price as a high end detail shop. In some areas tire insurance may be worth it...probably not on the X7 as they don't have super low profile tires.

Extended warranties can be shopped bought elsewhere for a better price (there is a dealer on some of the threads on here who a lot of people buy from). The value of the BMW extended maintenance plans is not very good, there a lot of good independent mechanics out there who can handle maintenance once the factory services are done.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
Usually they will show you a sheet of paper with a bunch of products at inflated prices (maintenance, extended warranty, wheel & tire protection). Then they will circle a few that they "recommend" and tell you they can do it for 50% off the price listed. Actual price is like 10-25% so if you really want any of it make sure you negotiate.

Everyone will have an opinion and anecdote whether any of these products are worth it (IMO, outside of a few exceptions, they usually aren't). My approach has been always to set aside the money and use it when maintenance/repairs were actually needed. By refusing any of the additional warranties I've been able to be "ahead" and even if any of my current vehicles have some catastrophic failure tomorrow, I will be able to pay for it few times over. Just my 2cts.
Wow I know their price is inflated but never thought it would be so much. Great to know, thanks!

I've been using pretty much the same approach. I've been lucky with the cars I owned in the past few years and haven't had to spend big money on repairs (knocking on wood). I think I may just decline their products, or at least as you suggested, negotiate very hard
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
All of the protection/detailing services they sell are a waste of money. The dealership will contract with the lowest cost detailers for ceramic coatings etc and will charge the same price as a high end detail shop. In some areas tire insurance may be worth it...probably not on the X7 as they don't have super low profile tires.

Extended warranties can be shopped bought elsewhere for a better price (there is a dealer on some of the threads on here who a lot of people buy from). The value of the BMW extended maintenance plans is not very good, there a lot of good independent mechanics out there who can handle maintenance once the factory services are done.
For tire protection, would it make sense to purchase the protection plan that Discount Tire offers? I bought a few sets of tires from Discount Tire and the experience has been great. I think their protection is this: https://www.discounttire.com/custome...e/certificates although I'm not 100% sure if they will cover tires that are not bought from them.

I'm not going to buy the extended warranty as we may only keep the car for 3 to 4 years (we may move to another country). And I agree that extended maintenance plans are probably not worth it.

Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

warranty, maintenance tack on, tire protection, glass protection.

Just say no to everything and get your extended warranty through the people selling it for a discount on here
      10-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
For tire protection, would it make sense to purchase the protection plan that Discount Tire offers? I bought a few sets of tires from Discount Tire and the experience has been great. I think their protection is this: https://www.discounttire.com/custome...e/certificates although I'm not 100% sure if they will cover tires that are not bought from them.

I'm not going to buy the extended warranty as we may only keep the car for 3 to 4 years (we may move to another country). And I agree that extended maintenance plans are probably not worth it.

Thanks for the reply!
I went the Discount Tire route, and bought the certificates. As long as the tires are almost new, they will warranty it. I had a nail in the sidewall on a recent road trip. Discount Tire did not have the tire in stock, so they had me get it wherever (in this case BMW dealer) and they reimbursed the cost of the tire to me. It doesn't cover the rims, but at least the tires are covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
warranty, maintenance tack on, tire protection, glass protection.

Just say no to everything and get your extended warranty through the people selling it for a discount on here
Yeah I think I'll end up with saying no to everything...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #9
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptekcom View Post
I went the Discount Tire route, and bought the certificates. As long as the tires are almost new, they will warranty it. I had a nail in the sidewall on a recent road trip. Discount Tire did not have the tire in stock, so they had me get it wherever (in this case BMW dealer) and they reimbursed the cost of the tire to me. It doesn't cover the rims, but at least the tires are covered.
I didn't know they would go as far as reimburse you when they don't have the tires you need. That's pretty impressive! They are opening a new Discount Tire store in my neighborhood, so I believe I'll go with their certificate. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #10
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

An M2 for the weekends and track days.

It would be a better value prop instead of paying the inflated prices for what everyone has said they'll offer; warranty, maintenance plan, tire protection, glass protection, etc.

Also, they will tell you if you say no or pass, then you can't buy it after you take ownership or it will cost significantly more. Bunch of BS...you can buy most everything after the fact.

Pass on everything then shop around and take some time to think about what you really need.
- Did you get 22's...if so maybe wheel/tire protection is a good idea if you have crappy roads.
- Are you gonna keep this well past warranty...might be a good idea to look at platinum warranty and ultimate care+.

Lots of things to think about...no need to make decisions on them during at the dealership under pressure of a finance guy pushing these.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:36 AM   #11
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Here's the prices I've been quoted from a finance manager at another dealership. If anyone has found anything cheaper please let us all know.

Maintenance - Ultimate Care+ (upgraded brakes included)
48 months/50k miles $1849
60 months/75k miles $3049
72 months/100k miles $4599
84 months/125k miles $5899

Platinum Warranty $0 deductible
60 months/75k miles $3200
60 months/100k miles $3650
72 months/75k miles $3900
72 months/100k miles $4450
84 months/75k miles $4550
84 months/100k miles $5600
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10794.00
      10-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #12
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post

If you opt for the 21 inch all seasons I agree that aren’t super low profile. The standard 22” however you’re wrong. They are pretty dam low and very susceptible to getting damaged on bad roads. If you have those its a good idea to get the t and w policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #13
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
I didn't know they would go as far as reimburse you when they don't have the tires you need. That's pretty impressive! They are opening a new Discount Tire store in my neighborhood, so I believe I'll go with their certificate. Thanks!
I didn't know that either until I had to use it. Plus they included free rotations and lifetime balances as well. They claimed that when you purchased the certificates, the tires became "theirs".
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
An M2 for the weekends and track days.

It would be a better value prop instead of paying the inflated prices for what everyone has said they'll offer; warranty, maintenance plan, tire protection, glass protection, etc.

Also, they will tell you if you say no or pass, then you can't buy it after you take ownership or it will cost significantly more. Bunch of BS...you can buy most everything after the fact.

Pass on everything then shop around and take some time to think about what you really need.
- Did you get 22's...if so maybe wheel/tire protection is a good idea if you have crappy roads.
- Are you gonna keep this well past warranty...might be a good idea to look at platinum warranty and ultimate care+.

Lots of things to think about...no need to make decisions on them during at the dealership under pressure of a finance guy pushing these.
I got the 21' tires. I looked at the tires again in the "build your bmw" page and the 22' tires do look thinner than the 21'.

I don't think we'll keep the care for very long past warranty. I've never owned a car for more than 6 years. If BMW covers the first 3 years' of maintenance, I think paying the 4th, and maybe 5th year maintenance out of pocket is ok for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #15
ryanpzlcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
If you opt for the 21 inch all seasons I agree that aren’t super low profile. The standard 22” however you’re wrong. They are pretty dam low and very susceptible to getting damaged on bad roads. If you have those its a good idea to get the t and w policy.
Yeah the 22" tires do look very low profiler. I chose 21" tires so I think I'll pass on BMW's tire/wheel protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

if you are interested in wheel and tire you will have to decide then and there at signing. Once you drive off you can't opt for that anymore. May sell you some paint protections, credit card, shoot there is a ton of various things out there these days.

if you want a ext warranty consider us, we blow them out for forum members
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787

we have been lowest prices anywhere for a while. Save yourself some cash.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Here's the prices I've been quoted from a finance manager at another dealership. If anyone has found anything cheaper please let us all know.

Maintenance - Ultimate Care+ (upgraded brakes included)
48 months/50k miles $1849
60 months/75k miles $3049
72 months/100k miles $4599
84 months/125k miles $5899

Platinum Warranty $0 deductible
60 months/75k miles $3200
60 months/100k miles $3650
72 months/75k miles $3900
72 months/100k miles $4450
84 months/75k miles $4550
84 months/100k miles $5600
contact my gal who runs our finance dept. We blow these plans out for forum members. Follow info here if you are interested: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #18
cavalierx7
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X7

I was able to get the dealer to send me their "upsell" sheet, before i arrived. Made that process pretty easy
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierx7 View Post
I was able to get the dealer to send me their "upsell" sheet, before i arrived. Made that process pretty easy
It’s not really hard either way. Things either make sense or they don’t lol. If it makes sense do it if not then not.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #20
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
T&W coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
if you are interested in wheel and tire you will have to decide then and there at signing. Once you drive off you can't opt for that anymore. May sell you some paint protections, credit card, shoot there is a ton of various things out there these days.

if you want a ext warranty consider us, we blow them out for forum members
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787

we have been lowest prices anywhere for a while. Save yourself some cash.
Just curious if the BMW T&W protection cover 4 tires for xdrive or just the flat one? In most chances we would have to replace all of them since the all wheel drives require tires at the same threadwear
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
Just curious if the BMW T&W protection cover 4 tires for xdrive or just the flat one? In most chances we would have to replace all of them since the all wheel drives require tires at the same threadwear
Im not 100% sure but I believe it only replaces the impacted wheel/tire. I can check with the guys later today and get back to you. Shoot me a pm later this morning and remind me!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
Im not 100% sure but I believe it only replaces the impacted wheel/tire. I can check with the guys later today and get back to you. Shoot me a pm later this morning and remind me!
It's definitely the 1 tire only, you have to pay for the other 3 on AWD to keep the system balanced.

I asked the same question when I bought mine; and got the above response, which is why I declined the insurance.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10794.00