BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 SUV Arriving in 2018, Including Higher Luxury Bespoke Version

03-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #45
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Expanding a factory in SC to accommodate building the X7 takes some time to plan and build.
Oh of course. No doubt about it.

But the realization that BMW needed this X7 to compete with the Benz GL should have came way earlier than a few years ago. The GL came out in 2006. It's 2016 already and the X7 won't be available until 2018 so if my math is correct, that is 12 years of BMW not having a true GL (now called the GLS) competitor.
And 10 years ago, the global economy was months away from a major recession with clear signs of its impending arrival for anyone paying half attention. BMW has timed this well. The signs of a smaller economic downturn are present currently, but it won't be any where near as severe as the previous one nor as far reaching or long lasting.

The X7 is going to cover a fairly extensive range, with the "second" Luxury oriented version with 4 seats (5 optional), and V8 and V12 motors. It's aimed squarely at the Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black and Bentayga, but at a lower price point than both.

There is a market niche for sedans, large GT cars, and increasingly, SUV's, that is too small to ignore ($165k - $250k). The big question is how should BMW approach it? Does the BMW brand have the cache to take on Bentley? Would Rolls Royce be damaged with a model line slightly below the Ghost? I sincerely hope it isn't the latter as BMW's transformation of RR starting with the Phantom in as little time they had is nothing short of amazing and worthy of respect even if one is not a fan of the brand or its vehicles. The new marketing with the Black Badge is the most clever and well thought-out plan I've seen from an automotive company in very long time. Most will call it gaudy, cheesy, grotesque, etc, but it hits the demographic they want now and for the future. I also doubt the ability of the former. I simply don't see a BMW badged vehicle doing well in that price segment either. Aston Martin did very well with the Vantage and DB9, but fell flat on its face with the Rapide. Maserati has been a total failure outside of the Ghibli and that's giving it a grade based on curve. Mercedes has done well with the 63 AMG Models, but 65's are money losing with each and every sale. The S600 is a variable unicorn and the claimed success of the Maybach Manufaktur models of it and the S500(550) are keeblered without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

How many models does a company need?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #47
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

X12 for me
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #48
jackelliott
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIVISION
X12 for me
Holding out for X14
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #49
chipotle_napkins
Demoted lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Porsche soon (: Sowy

BMW is like that one dude in class that's half asleep and has to copy off of another tweak's homework
      03-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #50
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

I'm gonna wait for a mini van, m version please or might hold off till a full cab pick up truck is announced
      03-29-2016, 03:51 AM   #51
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Trade in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Too little too late as we already bought a Mercedes GLS.

BMW, you douche.
Just enough time for you to depreciate your current car and... trade in. I just hope they go after Range Rover quality and ownership appeal not the Benz.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:13 AM   #52
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Actually the X7 will be in a class of its own it is not aimed primarily at the Mercedes-Benz GLS which is just an extended GLE. But right at the top end of the market at the Range Rover.
The X7 will also come in two wheelbases and also offer configurations on seating arrangements even down to two individual seats in the rear compartment just like the 7er.

The X7 will be the 7er of the X models so expect luxury and technology in abundance as well as power as the flagship model will be powered by BMWs upgraded V12. As well as increasing its Eco potential by introducing a powerful hybrid model using the Power eDrive philosophy.

The next exciting phase will be the introduction of the 9er flagship which is now progressing forward.
And this is an exciting project it is so far removed from the Maybach even though they will be in direct competition. Again their will be standard 9er so the owner will be able to drive the car themselves and also an extended wheel base.
Attached Images

03-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #53
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Actually the X7 will be in a class of its own it is not aimed primarily at the Mercedes-Benz GLS which is just an extended GLE. But right at the top end of the market at the Range Rover.
The X7 will also come in two wheelbases and also offer configurations on seating arrangements even down to two individual seats in the rear compartment just like the 7er.

The X7 will be the 7er of the X models so expect luxury and technology in abundance as well as power as the flagship model will be powered by BMWs upgraded V12. As well as increasing its Eco potential by introducing a powerful hybrid model using the Power eDrive philosophy.

The next exciting phase will be the introduction of the 9er flagship which is now progressing forward.
And this is an exciting project it is so far removed from the Maybach even though they will be in direct competition. Again their will be standard 9er so the owner will be able to drive the car themselves and also an extended wheel base.
Scott can you offer any information as to a starting price point for the X7 model or is this yet to be determined?
      03-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #54
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
Scott can you offer any information as to a starting price point for the X7 model or is this yet to be determined?
Pricing will probably start within the mid-high X5 for the (European) X7 3.0d xDrive. I do not know what the US will come in at.
And then add extra for M Sport and Design Excellence packages.
      03-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #55
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
Pricing will probably start within the mid-high X5 for the (European) X7 3.0d xDrive. I do not know what the US will come in at.
And then add extra for M Sport and Design Excellence packages.
Thank you for that information I am eagerly awaiting this new platform
      03-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #56
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
No offense to anyone that has one...

but BMW went uncivilized a long time ago when they made this
lolololol true!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #57
sharifm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

A chassis for a rolls Royce suv?? Or is Bmw not going that route
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #58
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Ask Mercedes, I can't even keep track of all the cars they have.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #59
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
I'm gonna wait for a mini van, m version please or might hold off till a full cab pick up truck is announced
Be more ambitious and wait for the full size cargo van M variant.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #60
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Ask Mercedes, I can't even keep track of all the cars they have.
Can start with AMG...38 AMG models to market in the US by the end of this year with new dealer agreements calling for separate MB, AMG, and Maybach Manufaktur (if certified) Showrooms.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #61
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Just enough time for you to depreciate your current car and... trade in. I just hope they go after Range Rover quality and ownership appeal not the Benz.
Did you ever own a Range Rover? Do you know anyone that owns one? If you do, you'd probably know better than to wish for BMW to make cars that break down by the side of the road and spend a quarter of their life at the dealership undergoing repairs.

P.S. No Range Rover can match the ownership appeal of a G-Class.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #62
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifm3 View Post
A chassis for a rolls Royce suv?? Or is Bmw not going that route
The Rolls-Royce Cullinan like all future RR models beginning with the all-new Phantom inherit an all new aluminium architecture and space frame. Separate from existing BMWs so it is exclusive to Rolls-Royce only.
Of course they will use other lightweight knowhow in key areas of the car to help bring further weight reduction.

The X7 will be based off the new CLAR cluster architecture and also follow many other BMW models by inheriting the Carbon Core which allows CFRP to be placed within the most heaviest points of a chassis to provide more structural rigidity whilst off setting extra additional weight.
      04-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #63
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
But will you wait for the ZCP version?
      04-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #64
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Be more ambitious and wait for the full size cargo van M variant.
For the blue-collar working man? They already got that covered back in 2011 buddy:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501785

04-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #65
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Did you ever own a Range Rover? Do you know anyone that owns one? If you do, you'd probably know better than to wish for BMW to make cars that break down by the side of the road and spend a quarter of their life at the dealership undergoing repairs.

P.S. No Range Rover can match the ownership appeal of a G-Class.
Have you ever owned a G-Wagen? I've never had one of our Land Rovers or Range Rovers leave me broken down, but every AMG G ('14 G63, '15 G63, '16 G65) has at least once.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #66
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

X7M please