BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum The X7 feels bigger than it looks from behind the wheel and first drive thoughts

07-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

The X7 feels bigger than it looks from behind the wheel and first drive thoughts

I've been following the X7 for quite some time, yesterday I decided to go drive one.

It looks like it's about the exact same size as a GLS. But I think due to the design of the hood, when driving it, it feels like a much larger vehicle. Reminds me of a larger truck like an Ford F150 or the likes.

We drove one what appears to be standard leather with the luxury seat option with the massage seat. The massage seems seems cool but on our 20 minute test drive, I can definitely live w/o it. I think it's more of a gimmick. Ok for those that's never sat on a real massage chair. I felt the comfort of the standard seats even with the luxury seating option added was not very plush. Is the merino wool option better? They couldn't find one on the lot with the merino wool for me to try so I will end up having to order one.

The 4.0l engine mated with this transmision is amazing. It never once made me felt like I needed more (the want part is another story).

The handling is definitely less fun than the X5 that I've driven but I suppose that's the sacrafice you make for the 3rd row and want to have a generally larger vehicle. I felt the body roll was controlled but still felt it for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
I've been following the X7 for quite some time, yesterday I decided to go drive one.

It looks like it's about the exact same size as a GLS. But I think due to the design of the hood, when driving it, it feels like a much larger vehicle. Reminds me of a larger truck like an Ford F150 or the likes.

We drove one what appears to be standard leather with the luxury seat option with the massage seat. The massage seems seems cool but on our 20 minute test drive, I can definitely live w/o it. I think it's more of a gimmick. Ok for those that's never sat on a real massage chair. I felt the comfort of the standard seats even with the luxury seating option added was not very plush. Is the merino wool option better? They couldn't find one on the lot with the merino wool for me to try so I will end up having to order one.

The 4.0l engine mated with this transmision is amazing. It never once made me felt like I needed more (the want part is another story).

The handling is definitely less fun than the X5 that I've driven but I suppose that's the sacrafice you make for the 3rd row and want to have a generally larger vehicle. I felt the body roll was controlled but still felt it for sure.
I had two GLs before my X7, and I felt exactly the same way when I first received mine. It seemed huge! And yes...it’s the line of the hood. You can see it out in front way more than in the GL/GLS. It seems to go more straight out than immediately dipping down and out of your vision like the Mercedes. I’ve had mine now for about 10 weeks, and you definitely get used to it. Also, putting in the Sport mode stiffens up the steering and makes it seem less like a truck.

Both of my GLs were 550s (2010 and 2016), and my X7 is a 50i. I loved my GLs, but there is no comparison between them and this car. It’s so much more fun to drive, and the technology is unbelievable — when coming from the GL. There are dozens of ways to customize every aspect of this car. You’re going to love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Did anyone test drive the 40i luxury and 40i M Sport? Is there a major difference in driving dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post

I had two GLs before my X7, and I felt exactly the same way when I first received mine. It seemed huge! And yes...it’s the line of the hood. You can see it out in front way more than in the GL/GLS. It seems to go more straight out than immediately dipping down and out of your vision like the Mercedes. I’ve had mine now for about 10 weeks, and you definitely get used to it. Also, putting in the Sport mode stiffens up the steering and makes it seem less like a truck.

Both of my GLs were 550s (2010 and 2016), and my X7 is a 50i. I loved my GLs, but there is no comparison between them and this car. It’s so much more fun to drive, and the technology is unbelievable — when coming from the GL. There are dozens of ways to customize every aspect of this car. You’re going to love it.
The option is Merino leather not wool.
I have it in mine. It's just a finer grain higher grade leather. It is smoother to the touch, but the plushness of the seat is still the same.
The seats are on the firm side for sure.... I too would have preferred them to me a little more plush.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Did anyone test drive the 40i luxury and 40i M Sport? Is there a major difference in driving dynamics?
I test drove a pretty basic 40i Luxury and a 50i Sport before ordering my Luxury 50i. A huge difference, but I think that difference came from the engine as opposed to the trim level. I ordered my Luxury 50i with every option that affects performance, and I don’t notice any difference between it and the Sport I test drove.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Luxury and msport have same suspension. All cosmetics as I understand it. I went luxury, because it's a luxury vehicle. Msport looks nice, but I didnt see as big a difference as there is between X5 versions. If I would have purchased X5, then I would only get msport, because I hate that flat black plastic body cladding all around it. X7 doesnt have than on luxury line.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Merino is a different type of leather. Not wool.

The massage is NOT intended to be a deep tissue massage. I think anyone that would install one in a vehicle is just asking to get in an accident. The massage feature is intended to basically prevent "butt soreness" from sitting statically too long. It keeps your muscles and joints in a slight motion. This is one of my top "must-have" features, and won't be ordering my next BMW without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

The massaging seats are nice. Wife and I just did 7hr trip and we used them several times. Level 3 is decent and moves you around a little bit Massaging pressure points. Do we need it? No. But it's nice here and there.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Luxury and msport have same suspension. All cosmetics as I understand it. I went luxury, because it's a luxury vehicle. Msport looks nice, but I didnt see as big a difference as there is between X5 versions. If I would have purchased X5, then I would only get msport, because I hate that flat black plastic body cladding all around it. X7 doesnt have than on luxury line.
Thanks guys. I thought the sport 22 inch wheels would have an impact on the ride? I’m still tossing the idea around, should we get the luxury or sport? I personally like both however my wife does not like the chrome of the luxury, she thinks it’s too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The massaging seats are nice. Wife and I just did 7hr trip and we used them several times. Level 3 is decent and moves you around a little bit Massaging pressure points. Do we need it? No. But it's nice here and there.
What about the ventilated seats is that worth getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I have 22” wheels and feel like the ride quality is incredibly forgiving. I can’t believe how little I feel road imperfections. Others on here, however, have mentioned the opposite.

Ventilated seats on this model aren’t that impressive. The amount of air that comes out is far from what I received in my prior GL’s. Still, I’d probably get it again, just because. Better than nothing.

For me, Luxury vs Sport depends on what color exterior you plan to get. You can spec out a Luxury to be the same as a Sport, minus the exhaust and one wheel which is exclusive to Sport. For me, I wanted Mineral White, and i don’t love the look of the bottom and front black trim on a non-black car. If I had gotten black, I would’ve gone with Sport, as I don’t like the chrome trim on a dark color car. Really, it comes down to which trim you like best.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:55 AM   #12
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

I meant to say Merino leather, for some reason I'm thinking wool and this damn summer heat. LOL

For me, i think a white 40i with the white merino leather and BW audio are the must haves for me. I'm in no hurry to get a new vehicle I just want one but gonna wait a few months to see how low they'll go. Some local dealers have 17+ vehicles in inventory. I have only seen 2 on the road in the SF Bay thus far. Guessing they aren't moving as fast as the smaller X5.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:27 AM   #13
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What about the ventilated seats is that worth getting?
I wouldnt specifically pick a package just because of the ventilated seats. They work somewhat helping to keep your backside a little less humid. You can feel it, but not extremely strong. My mustangs ventilated seats are stronger.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:34 AM   #14
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I thought the sport 22 inch wheels would have an impact on the ride? I’m still tossing the idea around, should we get the luxury or sport? I personally like both however my wife does not like the chrome of the luxury, she thinks it’s too much.
The ride is uber smooth with the 22's. With that I will say I didn't drive one with smaller wheels. You can feel bumps when the pavement has sharp transitions, but its impressive the amount of isolation. In sport mode I've been hustling it through some turns at impressive speeds for such a large vehicle.

I agree on the chrome, it's a little bright. I plan to wrap mine in black or charcoal color to compliment the artic gray. Not sure why they chose to have matte finished trim on window surrounds and luggage rack bars, but chrome on bottom. They should have made it all match.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
You should definitely test drive Luxury and MSport separately ande decide for yourself. The dynamic handling package makes a huge difference and is a must for me. I had an x5 loaner last summer and hated it because it didn't have it.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
You should definitely test drive Luxury and MSport separately ande decide for yourself. The dynamic handling package makes a huge difference and is a must for me. I had an x5 loaner last summer and hated it because it didn't have it.
There is no difference between luxury and msport in driving dynamics. You can get the dynamic handling package on either.

I agree, I should drive one with the dynamic handling package.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is no difference between luxury and msport in driving dynamics. You can get the dynamic handling package on either.

If you can find one.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #18
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

Good to know, I didn't know that.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:28 AM   #19
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Ventilated seats on this model aren’t that impressive. The amount of air that comes out is far from what I received in my prior GL’s. Still, I’d probably get it again, just because. Better than nothing.

For me, Luxury vs Sport depends on what color exterior you plan to get. You can spec out a Luxury to be the same as a Sport, minus the exhaust and one wheel which is exclusive to Sport. For me, I wanted Mineral White, and i don’t love the look of the bottom and front black trim on a non-black car. If I had gotten black, I would’ve gone with Sport, as I don’t like the chrome trim on a dark color car. Really, it comes down to which trim you like best.
Funny that the ventilation in the 7 series sucks as well, not sure why Bmw won’t step this up.

100% correct on the sport vs luxury debate. It depends on the color you pick
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #20
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

I test drove a 40i M Sport today. It had ventilated and massage seats. I was not impressed with either and will pass on this option. Other than this, I'm sold and will begin negotiating cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #21
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I test drove a 40i M Sport today. It had ventilated and massage seats. I was not impressed with either and will pass on this option. Other than this, I'm sold and will begin negotiating cost.
Welcome to the club! Good luck with negotiations. Did you also drive a 50i?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #22
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the club! Good luck with negotiations. Did you also drive a 50i?
Thank you.

I didn't test drive the 50i. I had always planned for the 40i.
Appreciate 0