BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Request for real life pictures, Individual Fineline Cross Black Aluminum Inserts Trim

08-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Request for real life pictures, Individual Fineline Cross Black Aluminum Inserts Trim

Would anyone please post real-life pictures and opinions, if they find the Individual Fineline Cross Black Aluminum Inserts Trim on a real vehicle? This is new for MY2020 in the X5 and X7. A $1080 "Individual" trim option.

So far, what we have for pictures are a couple pre-production test mules, and an old press release. In those, the aluminum part of the trim really pops out, and the trim looked a bit garish.

The only other pics we have so far are from the G07 and G05 online configurators. In these pictures, the aluminum looks a bit more subdued. Comparing the G05 and G07 BMW USA configurators, the G07 looks more subdued than the G05.

Would really like to see what the final production looks like. I like that it adds a bit of sportiness to the trims, while hopefully keeping a classy look with the wood. But I'm worried about the final result being garish and ugly. Unless I'm able to find one in person before I place my order, (likely months away) I'll have to rely on pictures here.

Help, please?

Here's the G07 online configurator pic:

And an old pre-production test mule snippet pic, the G05 configurator pic, and an old press release pic:

Attached Images

Last edited by Wild Blue; 08-30-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Blue there is an auto show pic of that trim inside a m50d painted some fantastic marooning color.

Edit: found the video. Is that the color? Looks grayish, though

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good find, thanks, ppagiga ! That guy was throwing around the camera like he had ADD. But lots of looks at the Cross Black Aluminum Insert trim. Don't know if I like it or not.

Would still like to see real-world production model pics, to see how it turns out in the wild! That reviewer's opinion seemed to be favorable of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
That color on the x7 isn’t as horrible as I thought it would be.

The trim on the other hand is awful looking!!! Looks like something you would find in a Jeep or Ford F-150. It just doesn’t seem like it belongs with the rest of the interior. JMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Good find, thanks, ppagiga ! That guy was throwing around the camera like he had ADD. But lots of looks at the Cross Black Aluminum Insert trim. Don't know if I like it or not.

Would still like to see real-world production model pics, to see how it turns out in the wild! That reviewer's opinion seemed to be favorable of it.
It’s tricky going with that contemporary a design. I sometimes fear something like that will age poorly. Haven’t seen this in person to have an opinion if that’s the case, though. I like it at this moment, but will it look silly down the road? Gotta see and feel it to know I think. Given how much I like the other trims offered this might be a home run in the flesh. I could see this looking well in luxury and sport configs.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post

The trim on the other hand is awful looking!!! Looks like something you would find in a Jeep or Ford F-150. It just doesn’t seem like it belongs with the rest of the interior. JMO.
Agreed. Im not a fan of the tetragon for the same reason.
Honestly none of the paint colors would be my first choice either but I went with the Phytonic.

Last edited by BMWBear; 08-31-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      09-22-2019, 02:40 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Okay, did look at that one 2020 X5 identified with this particular trim. Big thanks to BMW of Grapevine, TX, for letting me poke around their lot, and sit in this vehicle for quite a while. The car, a 2020 Arctic Gray X5 M50i, with Black Full Merino leather (which I think is the best leather option to couple with this trim):

I spent a good chunk of time just sitting in the car, in various seats, trying to get comfortable with the trim and decide what I thought about it. And you know what? I can't decide. I thought I'd probably either love it or hate it right away, but I'm mixed.

Overall, I'm not overwhelmed. I wasn't sure if it would be bright and garish, as appeared in some pics, or muted and blended, as it looked in others. My impression, it's somewhere right in the middle. Subjectively, I found it to be neither beautiful (like I find the Individual light wood with silver effect), nor ugly.

The aluminum inserts don't jump out as being super bright, like the industrial aluminum cross-hatch plating we all think of. The aluminum bits aren't shiny, they're a little more gray. But the "wood" is also not shiny, nor really even a matted wood finish. Running your finger over the trim, it feels almost smooth, not textured as you might expect. And it feels almost "plastic-y", not really like wood.

One thing I found interesting, looking at it up close, it actually looks like multiple thin strips of material sandwiched together, alternating directions of the aluminum inserts, rather than one solid piece of wood with inlays. Observe:

Because it seems like pictures really vary on this trim and have difficulty capturing its true appearance, I took lots of photos of different parts, from different angles and zoom, and in the light and shade. Pictures were taken outdoors, in afternoon Texas sun, with an iPhone XS Max. This picture shows well, the appearance difference between direct sunlight on the piece on the right, and shade for the piece on the left:

I've always ordered all my Bimmers with aluminum trims, as I like the sporty feel that it adds to the interior. This will be the first aluminum offering on the X7, and I do like the sportiness that it adds. The aluminum would also match with the brushed-aluminum secondary trim around any of the X7 trim options. The addition of B&W audio (which this X5 did not have) would add even more metal to the vehicle interior. But I'm not overwhelmed. I don't think it's ugly, but I don't find myself sitting in the car, thinking "man, this really looks amazing!"

So I'm torn, waffling between this trim, and my other top choice, the Ash Grain Matte with Bronze Effect. The Bronze Effect trim does look great, to the point that it's one of the standard trims most often ordered by dealers on their stock cars.

The Aluminum Inserts would make for a unique vehicle. But because I'm waffling, and that the Aluminum Inserts also costs an additional $1,080, I'm currently leaning towards just sticking with the Bronze Effect.

As always, I hope this helps other people. But in the end, it's really a trim you have to see for yourself in-person, if you're considering ordering it. And I added the pic of the rainbows on the roofliner, as it's a bit cool getting those from the crystal shifter. (as long as they don't glint straight in your eye)

On this picture, observe how the thin strips don't actually go straight across the top of the center vents, as I thought they would. I assumed they're be purely horizontal there in the middle. But see how the contour of the dashboard actually causes the strips to angle a bit upwards on the right side. This surprised me a bit. It's not sloppy, or really even a defect in any way. Probably just my OCD taking note of something small.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 09-22-2019 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

To each his own but I'm not a fan of the Individual Fineline Cross Black Aluminum Inserts Trim. Almost looks like wallpaper. I would like to see BMW offer a Carbon Fiber trim option for the X7 in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
To each his own but I'm not a fan of the Individual Fineline Cross Black Aluminum Inserts Trim. Almost looks like wallpaper. I would like to see BMW offer a Carbon Fiber trim option for the X7 in the near future.
Now, THAT, I would like to see, and would consider buying! I'd also be interested in a rich cherry or mahogany wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep

I don’t even like carbon fiber in F1 cars. Easily replicated and often the real deal looks cheap. To me at least
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

It simply depends on the overall design language of the vehicle.

Would I get this on a luxury line equipped X7? No.

Would I get an M50i with the fancy new M Multifunctional seats and good a old fashioned wood-trim? Yikes, no.

The trim with the metal inserts does not look spectacular and I have the suspicion that that's EXACTLY the purpose why it was offered.

On a vehicle with a black interior, it basically disappears which is not that great. On the full ivory, however, it is a great contrast to the light leather and matches the darker leather-dash. The metal inserts compliment the alu-pieces on the vehicle like the B&W speaker-covers - another thing the vehicle in the picture lacks, making it even more boring.

It's simply a matter of taste. I simply prefer this trim over ordinary wood on a vehicle that has a sports-theme.

I would consider Carbon as well but if that's not an option, I will go with this trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
It simply depends on the overall design language of the vehicle.

Would I get this on a luxury line equipped X7? No.

Would I get an M50i with the fancy new M Multifunctional seats and good a old fashioned wood-trim? Yikes, no.

The trim with the metal inserts does not look spectacular and I have the suspicion that that's EXACTLY the purpose why it was offered.

On a vehicle with a black interior, it basically disappears which is not that great. On the full ivory, however, it is a great contrast to the light leather and matches the darker leather-dash. The metal inserts compliment the alu-pieces on the vehicle like the B&W speaker-covers - another thing the vehicle in the picture lacks, making it even more boring.

It's simply a matter of taste. I simply prefer this trim over ordinary wood on a vehicle that has a sports-theme.

I would consider Carbon as well but if that's not an option, I will go with this trim.
Good points. I come from MB and most of their AMG models offer Carbon Fiber which looks great paired to a sport theme.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I'm not sure how I feel about that trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

The fact that the pattern is not aligned and and not symmetrical around edges, etc. would totally bother my OCD...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, BMW of Grapevine has now posted their pictures of the same vehicle here, including the trim:

https://www.bmwofgrapevine.com/new/B...40485011cb.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
FWIW, BMW of Grapevine has now posted their pictures of the same vehicle here, including the trim:

https://www.bmwofgrapevine.com/new/B...40485011cb.htm
And it still looks like bad wallpaper in the pics lol. 😂😂 it’s not horrible with the Black honestly, but way too busy for my taste
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
This interior on longer available in MY21? Temporary or permanent?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:16 AM   #18
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
Probably gone for good. It was hideous.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I would imagine it's gone for good. Having studied it in person for some time, I still don't know whether I liked it or not. I didn't immediately LOVE it, but I also didn't hate it.

The 2021 X7 Dark Shadow models have interior trim that's half this, and half piano black.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:50 AM   #20
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I would imagine it's gone for good. Having studied it in person for some time, I still don't know whether I liked it or not. I didn't immediately LOVE it, but I also didn't hate it.

The 2021 X7 Dark Shadow models have interior trim that's half this, and half piano black.
Just noticed the half and half trim.... piano black yes, the other trim is a no. That's so odd that they would half the trim like that. I couldn't live with that look...Messes with my self diagnosed OCD

Do they have an option to upgrade to all Piano Black?
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

IMO the only positive about this trim is it's not glossy. Not a fan of the pattern/contrast.

Unrelated, I wish BMW would give matte options for the glossy black plastic in the center console where all the driving mode/i-drive controls are. It's starting to visibly scratch already on my 4 day old car and being a high traffic area I'm afraid it will look terrible after 5-6 years of use.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Completely agree. My wife said the same thing when we were picking out the interior trim. It just looks cheap to me in such a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0