BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum I got traffic jam assist to work, and OMG it's amazing.

09-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #45
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
BMW takes a very conservative approach to autonomous driving and if it was possible, G05 forum members with coding experience would have surfaced it by now. I know that Cadillac offers Super Cruise and eventually other GM brands which works up to highway speeds.

Last year, BMW spokesman Oleg Satanovsky acknowledged that BMW’s approach to ETJA at speeds up to around 40 mph, “may be more conservative” but defended it as a safety measure and cautioned that the driver remains “always responsible for control of the vehicle” with ETJA. He declined to say whether the hardware is capable of higher speed thresholds through an over-the-air update.
Ya I can definitely see they are ultra conservative and worried about law suits. Hence the low threshold. Thing is it’s a little ridiculous honestly. You trust the driver to use the system fully engaged up to 40 but not 70? look what is the difference?

I’ve used the super cruise in a Cadillac ct6 and it is awesome. No reason bmw can’t do the same in their 100k+ flagship.

I own a 16 platinum ct6 but no super cruise. Wasn’t introduced until my 18.

I would love for this to be able to be coded though.
Thing to note is Super cruise actually works very different from most other semi-autonomous driving options. GM mapped all major freeways in the US in very high detail and that's one of the reasons it's so good, when it works. The downside is it won't work (at all) on other unmapped stretches of road. My understanding is that BMWs system, just like most others, relies on combination of vision and radar to drive semi-autonomously. Which means it usually works, just never as good as Supercruise will ever work on mapped freeways.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #46
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I finally received a "ding" showing me this was available but the message stated something to the effect of regulatory note and I could not enable it or view this note. Any idea how I can enable it when that "ding" goes off?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #47
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

When you set the cruise control to on there are three choices. The fist two are lit and the third one is dull. When you meet the parameters you have to set the mode again. This time the third one is lit and you can choose it to enable the traffic assist!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #48
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
When you set the cruise control to on there are three choices. The fist two are lit and the third one is dull. When you meet the parameters you have to set the mode again. This time the third one is lit and you can choose it to enable the traffic assist!
Actually, in my 2020 X7, there is no "greyed out" 3rd option for TJA, just the primary two options. Once the conditions are met for TJA, the 3rd option shows up and allows me to select it.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #49
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
When I press the cruise button is disables (shuts off) the entire system. I have then press it again and meet the parameters for the notice to come on then the same thing happens again.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #50
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Only had the car 6 days. I have been trying and trying to let the X7 drive itself since day one. I just couldn't get more than a few seconds before the lights flashed and I had to squeeze the wheel.

Well, today it happened. In case you didn't know how, I'll fill ya in!

I know a lot of parameters must be perfect to have it work, but I didn't know just how many. Surface roads? Not going to happen. It was when I was on the expressway and actually stuck in traffic that was going between 25-40 MPH.

Either this was not spelled out to well in the manual, or I missed it.

So I have the cruise control on. When you turn it on, you get two choices. One is DISTANCE CONTROL and one is ASSISTED DRIVING. I always use assisted driving. Well, when I got stuck in traffic on the expressway, all sorts of stuff happened. It all happened so fast it took a while to know what was going on. My speedo screen lit up differently and my dash screen popped up a message. Now, remember, I am driving in traffic so I had to keep watching the road.

I missed it. Let go of the wheel and got the yellow grab the wheel light. But then it happened again. This time I took the careful time to read the dash screen. It was telling me that I could turn on TRAFFIC ASSIST. Taking a guess at what I was suppose to do, I tried to shut off the cruise and turn it back on.

WOZZA! There's a third selection. TRAFFIC ASSIST. You can't find it or turn it on unless you have met all the parameters that will allow you to use it. It is not there UNTIL you can use it. I do wish that was explained a bit better.

So I turn on TRAFFIC ASSIST and OMG. The speedo screen that shows the car in its lane turned the lane green. The yellow lights on the wheel turned green. I did not touch the wheel for about two minutes but then the traffic speeded up to over 40 MPH and the lights went yellow and the lane marker went back to its normal dull color.

I hope I said that right and that you guys already knew all of this.

One more time: When you turn on the cruise the mode button gives you THREE selections. Yes, THREE!. But only when the parameters have been met to use Traffic Assist. Until then, the mode button only gives you two choices: Driving assist and Distanced assist.
Thanks to your info I was able to see this as well. While mine was working it was looking lock I think for no reason, so wondering how long you have been able to drive, mine lasted without interruption perhaps for 2-3 min
Appreciate 0