BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What is your biggest disappointment in your X7?

02-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #23
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexder View Post
Joemac8: If I were you I would go to the dealer and demonstrate that the feature is not working and demand that they fix it. Rear cross traffic alert is standard on all X7s so it SHOULD be working.
Just ask the dealer, manager and service manager to meet you in the parking lot. Then drive at them doing 5 mph. Everyone will know if it's working right after that.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #24
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Just ask the dealer, manager and service manager to meet you in the parking lot. Then drive at them doing 5 mph. Everyone will know if it's working right after that.
Hahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #25
nclee
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Lexus RX 300

I live in Europe and have the lasers. I occasionally get flashed (especially by trucks on highway) when using the automatic dimming feature, but almost never when I do the dimming manually.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #26
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Inability to shut-off IDrive when shutting off the engine via the old-school two-press of the Stop button.

Just silly they removed that option.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #27
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Inability to shut-off IDrive when shutting off the engine via the old-school two-press of the Stop button.

When I shut my car off and open the door, sometimes the screen goes off and the stereo shuts off, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know how many times I've restarted my car with the door open and then shut it off a second time, just to be sure that the car was actually shut off.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

When I shut my car off and open the door, sometimes the screen goes off and the stereo shuts off, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know how many times I've restarted my car with the door open and then shut it off a second time, just to be sure that the car was actually shut off.
Quote:
Quote:

you can just hold the volume button to turn it off. you don't need to restart.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

you can just hold the volume button to turn it off. you don't need to restart.
I'm not trying to shut off the stereo, I want to make sure I shut off the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #30
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

If you just hit the lock button on the remote or the door handle it doesn’t shut off?
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #31
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
If you just hit the lock button on the remote or the door handle it doesn't shut off?
I never lock my doors. I just walk away from the car and it locks itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #32
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Can't figure out the logic as to when it shuts off when I open the door vs keep playing the radio. I have the turn off when door open option checked too. I just lock it or tap the volume button to stop it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #33
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

it's a feature. you need to turn off the engine and then HOLD the radio volume off button for 2 MINUTES. eventually everything will shut off.

there is a way to shut off this feature in the menus. call the Genius line and they can walk you through it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #34
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJ99 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Can't figure out the logic as to when it shuts off when I open the door vs keep playing the radio. I have the turn off when door open option checked too. I just lock it or tap the volume button to stop it.
I used to be stumped by this in previous bmw I had but someone finally told me if it senses someone else in the car, the electronics stay on. Even if you just have heavier stuff sitting on the passenger seat, or I think even on the back seats, the electrical stuff stays going. Otherwise it should all turn off once you open the door
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #35
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJ99 View Post
I just don’t understand the logic or the need.

Maybe it’s just me, but when I arrive at my destination and hit the off button on the car I’m done with my trip and I want the car to turn off and be quiet. I don’t know why music needs to keep playing, especially since without the engine and road noise the moment you hit the stop button the music suddenly appears very loud and very present and gets in the way. If the song or programming I am listening to is that important, I would just sit there with the engine running for a moment or two. It’s awkward.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #36
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I just don’t understand the logic or the need.

Maybe it’s just me, but when I arrive at my destination and hit the off button on the car I’m done with my trip and I want the car to turn off and be quiet. I don’t know why music needs to keep playing, especially since without the engine and road noise the moment you hit the stop button the music suddenly appears very loud and very present and gets in the way. If the song or programming I am listening to is that important, I would just sit there with the engine running for a moment or two. It’s awkward.
Maybe it's a generational thing. I often sit in the car waiting for my wife or something else. What I had to do with all my other cars is turn the engine off and then either turn the key to "ACC" or push the start button again twice so I could listen to the radio or other music while waiting without burning/wasting gas.

So, for me, it's a double edged sword. Most of the time I just stop the engine and get out which is what I would expect from all my other vehicles and what I'm "accustomed" too. But, for the other 30 to 40% of the time when I"m sitting in the car waiting, it's a nice feature. Plus, I'm not wasting any gas with the engine running.

I think it's just what's known as a "Paradigm" shift. We humans are creatures of habit and when the habit changes we can get confused and frustrated. Even if the change offers benefits we didn't have before. "Old Habits Die Hard"!
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #37
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Maybe it's a generational thing. I often sit in the car waiting for my wife or something else. What I had to do with all my other cars is turn the engine off and then either turn the key to "ACC" or push the start button again twice so I could listen to the radio or other music while waiting without burning/wasting gas.

So, for me, it's a double edged sword. Most of the time I just stop the engine and get out which is what I would expect from all my other vehicles and what I'm "accustomed" too. But, for the other 30 to 40% of the time when I"m sitting in the car waiting, it's a nice feature. Plus, I'm not wasting any gas with the engine running.

I think it's just what's known as a "Paradigm" shift. We humans are creatures of habit and when the habit changes we can get confused and frustrated. Even if the change offers benefits we didn't have before. "Old Habits Die Hard"!

What I was talking about is that the car does two different things whenever it feels like it.

When I shut off the car by pushing the off/start button. The engine shuts off, the gauges drop and the radio keeps playing until I open the door. Then everything goes off and I know the car is off.

But sometimes, I shut off the car by pushing the off/start button. The engine shuts off, but the gauges stay the same and the radio keeps playing even after I open the door to get out. This is when I will restart and reshut off the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #38
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
What I was talking about is that the car does two different things whenever it feels like it.

When I shut off the car by pushing the off/start button. The engine shuts off, the gauges drop and the radio keeps playing until I open the door. Then everything goes off and I know the car is off.

But sometimes, I shut off the car by pushing the off/start button. The engine shuts off, but the gauges stay the same and the radio keeps playing even after I open the door to get out. This is when I will restart and reshut off the car.
I see. That happens intentionally when the vehicle detects something/someone in another seat in the car.

This has been brought up before. I believe the consensus is that you can't have anyone else or anything heavy enough to register as an occupant including child seats and small animals. So, if the car "Thinks" someone or some other weighted thing is in the car it will continue to play/remain on until it no longer senses these objects or when the door next to the object is open. Then it thinks everyone has exited the vehicle and it's time to power down.

It's called buggy freaking software! When I start seeing this flaky shit happening I reboot iDrive by pressing and holding the radio volume button down until the screen goes black. That fixes things about 90% of the time. It should fix it about 99.5% of the time and shouldn't be required at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #39
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

I see. That happens intentionally when the vehicle detects something/someone in another seat in the car.

This has been brought up before. I believe the consensus is that you can't have anyone else or anything heavy enough to register as an occupant including child seats and small animals. So, if the car "Thinks" someone or some other weighted thing is in the car it will continue to play/remain on until it no longer senses these objects or when the door next to the object is open. Then it thinks everyone has exited the vehicle and it's time to power down.

It's called buggy freaking software! When I start seeing this flaky shit happening I reboot iDrive by pressing and holding the radio volume button down until the screen goes black. That fixes things about 90% of the time. It should fix it about 99.5% of the time and shouldn't be required at all.
My car is empty. Nothing on the seats.

I have also had the car forget or not recognize me and have had to use one of my 8 buttons to get to the driver profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #40
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Dashboard is boring. BMW should really utilize the LCD screen like tesla, audi and Porsche where gives the the driver more customizations.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #41
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
Dashboard is boring. BMW should really utilize the LCD screen like tesla, audi and Porsche where gives the the driver more customizations.
My complaint exactly! It's a friggin TV screen. I know there's color in there. Why on earth would you waste it with this bland thing?

I have another gripe about it too; I thing the designers program the screen on a 30 inch monitor that sits 18 inches from their face. All in a properly lighted room that is not moving. But then my 60 year old eyes look at it from 30 inches away on a 10 inch screen in a car that is moving and requiring me to look away from the screen a lot more than look at it.

Make the damn numbers bigger. The speedo. The temp and clock. Everything. I'd like to know what gear I'm in. Not just a D. I'm going forward, I know I'm in D. And I want this info at a glance. AT A GLANCE! Not a search and focus.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #42
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Like @mich57 I too spend a lot of time in my car with engine off waiting for kids or wife.

I enjoy the features because it keeps the air on and air conditioning is important to me and the radio. It's annoyingly to go in another car and push the on acc button to keep going while waiting.

And it's so easy to turn off.
1. It auto offs by opening door and settings in menu customization.
2. It turns off by holding the radio button which shuts off the engine after off button.
3. It auto shuts off after 20 minutes NO matter what you do.
4. It turns off after you exit and lock all the doors.

It's automatic and it's a great feature. I think old people have a problem not understanding new technology. And also salesman don't do a good job explaining how it works to older buyers.

Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      02-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #43
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Like @mich57 I too spend a lot of time in my car with engine off waiting for kids or wife.

I enjoy the features because it keeps the air on and air conditioning is important to me and the radio. It's annoyingly to go in another car and push the on acc button to keep going while waiting.

And it's so easy to turn off.
1. It auto offs by opening door and settings in menu customization.
2. It turns off by holding the radio button which shuts off the engine after off button.
3. It auto shuts off after 20 minutes NO matter what you do.
4. It turns off after you exit and lock all the doors.

It's automatic and it's a great feature. I think old people have a problem not understanding new technology. And also salesman don't do a good job explaining how it works to older buyers.

My confusion comes from doing the same thing and getting different results.

Put car in park. Push start/stop button engine shuts off radio still on.

Open door and sometimes the radio shuts off and I'm confirmed the car is off and sometimes I open the door and the radio is still on.

I have the settings set to all off on door open.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

Wifes X3 is the same. I never understood it.
Appreciate 0