06-23-2020, 12:04 AM   #1
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Now as happy as I am with the X7, coming out from a very bad experience other brand.

I noticed two things that needs paying attention to and I've already reported to BMW AG München and NA.

First one is the headline "Remote 3D view" DOESNT work if you have anything connected to the USB-c at the back of the front seats where the entertainment system is placed. And would show you as disabled feature in the connecte app.

I don't know if this is mentioned in the manual. But it's a first hand experience that I wanted to share with every and save you a dealers trip.

Second one is the center seat headrest in the second row bench seat. ISNT adjustable and you're stuck with one height setting. I find this very strange unless I'm missing something. I was trying to fix a baby seat mirror there and couldn't adjust it, it is removable thou.

Again I just wanted to share my finding and see if you guys know of otherwise and chime in if possible, specially about the headrest.
      06-23-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Now as happy as I am with the X7, coming out from a very bad experience other brand. First one is the headline "Remote 3D view" DOESNT work if you have anything connected to the USB-c at the back of the front seats where the entertainment system is placed. And would show you as disabled feature in the connecte app.
Are you talking about accessing the "Remote 3D App while you are in the vehicle or are you referring to just having something plugged into the USB port behind the seats that's plugged in all the time even when you aren't in the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
Thefamilyman1016
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GTR 2017, BMW X7 50i

@Heimdall. You cannot use remote view 3D if your mirrors are flods when vehicle is lock. Make sure disable mirrors flods. My x7 working fine with usb-c plug-in. I had 2 usb-c plug in all the time. One use for power to play chrome cast and another one for my wife charge her phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #4
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefamilyman1016 View Post
@Heimdall. You cannot use remote view 3D if your mirrors are flods when vehicle is lock. Make sure disable mirrors flods.
Almost.

You do NOT have to disable the feature where your mirrors fold in when you lock the vehicle in order to use the 3D-view.

3D-view does not work if you MANUALLY fold the mirrors before shutting off the car.

They did that in order to prevent damage to the mirrors by preventing them from folding out where there might not be enough space - like in a tight garage where you folded them in manually before driving in.

On the other hand, if you park on an open parking lot and lock the vehicle and the mirrors are set to auto-fold when locking, activating remote 3D will temporarily unfold them and fold them back in again after the image is taken. Since the mirrors were NOT folded in when you shut the engine off, the vehicle is smart enough to figure out that unfolding should not cause any problems.

I always manually fold my mirrors before parking in my garage. Therefore, remote 3D does NOT work. On the other hand, at work, I park outside and the mirrors are automatically folded when locking the vehicle. Remote 3D DOES work in that case and the mirrors are still folded in when I return to my vehicle hours after I used remote 3D.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Now as happy as I am with the X7, coming out from a very bad experience other brand. First one is the headline "Remote 3D view" DOESNT work if you have anything connected to the USB-c at the back of the front seats where the entertainment system is placed. And would show you as disabled feature in the connecte app.
Are you talking about accessing the "Remote 3D App while you are in the vehicle or are you referring to just having something plugged into the USB port behind the seats that's plugged in all the time even when you aren't in the car?
I'm referring to accessing 3D view from the mobile connected App. While away from the vehicle and engine off, car locked and all.

while having something plugged in all the time to the mentioned USB's, the app feature doesn't work.
      06-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefamilyman1016 View Post
@Heimdall. You cannot use remote view 3D if your mirrors are flods when vehicle is lock. Make sure disable mirrors flods. My x7 working fine with usb-c plug-in. I had 2 usb-c plug in all the time. One use for power to play chrome cast and another one for my wife charge her phone.
If you trigger the feature from the app, the mirrors unfold, take the pictures and fold back again.

This is how it's been working for me.

As for the USB, I'm only referring to the one on the seat backs, not any other.

I have iPads connected to them for the little ones in the second row, we arrived at our destination and left those connected And went fishing.

Little Afterwords tried seeing what's around the vehicle, playing around with the app.

Feature on the app said "disabled, go to car settings.... enable...." tired a few times didn't work, until I removed the variable "iPad connection to USB" then it worked like magic again.

This was done 2 days later after all attempts failing.
      06-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
@760Lifan

Try doing the last part at work, while having something plugged in at the back of both Front seats 💺 usb-c.
      06-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I'm aware that the ConnectedDrive Remote 3D view service has been down for a day or two, recall it was over the weekend, and back up and running Monday.

Did you get an "enable privacy policy" to enable the service message?

Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      06-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Now as happy as I am with the X7, coming out from a very bad experience other brand.

I noticed two things that needs paying attention to and I've already reported to BMW AG München and NA.

First one is the headline "Remote 3D view" DOESNT work if you have anything connected to the USB-c at the back of the front seats where the entertainment system is placed. And would show you as disabled feature in the connecte app.
Not true on mine.

I have two ipads plugged into the back of the seats all the time and my remote 3D feature works.
Appreciate 2
Heimdall136.50
TaytoX740.00
      06-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I'm aware that way the ConnectedDrive Remote 3D view service has been down for a day or two, recall it was over the weekend, and back up and running Monday.

I did indeed
And it struck me as odd since it was enabled.
Toggled most of the features off and on again
And was asked few times to log in to my profile again. Thought I was hacked.
      06-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Quote:

Not true on mine.

I have two ipads plugged into the back of the seats all the time and my remote 3D feature works.
Mine worked after I disconnected them.
So it might be that the down time is effecting them.

It really shocked me as to why is it linked to the usb connection
      06-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I'm aware that way the ConnectedDrive Remote 3D view service has been down for a day or two, recall it was over the weekend, and back up and running Monday.

I did indeed
Ja, I had Remote 3D remote under disabled feature and the message to enable the feature by adjusting privacy settings in iDrive which was odd since I hadn't changed the settings. Went through the troubleshooting procedures - reboot iDrive, delete and re-add profile, adjust privacy settings.

Remote 3D view services along with other ConnectedDrive features works the majority of the time but sometimes there's a disruption in service or offline - eg signing, into not displaying, weather, etc.

Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      06-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did indeed
Ja, I had Remote 3D remote under disabled feature and the message to enable the feature by adjusting privacy settings in iDrive which was odd since I hadn't changed the settings. Went through the troubleshooting procedures - reboot iDrive, delete and re-add profile, adjust privacy settings.

Remote 3D view services along with other ConnectedDrive features works the majority of the time but sometimes there's a disruption in service or offline - eg signing, into not displaying, weather, etc.
That's great intel

I'm new to the new X7 so there's a lot of unknowns to both myself and the community, but nothing troubling.

Any intel about the headrest height adjustment?
      06-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Not true on mine.

+1

Same for me. Two iPads connected all the time and no problems with 3D remote view on app.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
@760Lifan

Try doing the last part at work, while having something plugged in at the back of both Front seats 💺 usb-c.
Sine I have the RES, I may not be able to replicate that...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not true on mine.

+1

Same for me. Two iPads connected all the time and no problems with 3D remote view on app.
May I ask what software version are you running on ?
I'm on 11.2019.50
      06-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not true on mine.

+1

May I ask what software version are you running on ?
I'm on 11.2019.50
I am also on 11/2019.50
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #18
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Im guessing at this point it's what Auricom have stated of a connectivity issues as I've been seeing it now more and more with BMW connected app
      08-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #19
indiejay
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

My remote 3D viewing hasnt worked for months. I tried the genius(es) and they had me link/unlink my profile, reset idrive, update my apps, made sure my privacy settings allow remote viewing. Trickle charged the car overnight. I took the advise earlier and removed ALL USB - C cables in the center console, at the back of the first row, even if they arent charging anything but no luck. anybody else has other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiejay View Post
My remote 3D viewing hasnt worked for months. I tried the genius(es) and they had me link/unlink my profile, reset idrive, update my apps. I took the advise earlier and removed ALL USB - C cables in the center console, at the back of the first row, even if they arent charging anything but no luck. anybody else has other suggestions?
So sorry to hear that.
Have you tried from a different phone (I.e. wife's) and see if it's phone or vehicle related?

Mine worked fine after that day.
      08-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #21
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Remote 3d still works with mirrors folded but it only gives you front and back image with blanked out sides.

As for center bench seat, there is a pull tab near head rest that I could never figure out what its for. I'm also surprised the middle seat in x7 doesn't have a middle console you can remove like the x5. That middle removal was helpful when putting skis in the car. I didn't need A roof rack or hitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #22
indiejay
Rep

Quote:
So sorry to hear that.
Have you tried from a different phone (I.e. wife's) and see if it's phone or vehicle related?

Mine worked fine after that day.
Yeah I've tried 2 separate iphones and it get stuck at 'Activating camera system' and an error message says 'x Remote service could not be executed'
Appreciate 0