BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What are you buying?

07-20-2022, 03:36 AM   #1
S4boost
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan Maxima

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [10.00]
  [0.00]
I'm new here, I've been an audi guy since my B5 S4 in college. It was a love-hate stage 3+ car with meth. As much fun as it was it was a royal pain.

A few years later I upgraded to a b7 s4 with a pulley, tune and intake. Tons of fun and a total sleeper.

Now I have a maxima and pit about 20-25k miles on it for work. It's paid off and I'm gonna run the wheels off of it for work.

That said, I'm all over the place looking for my next car. I'll keep the maxima but I need something for the weekend.

So what are you buying?

C7 Grand Sport or Z06 manual
G87 M2 manual
GT350
'22 RS3

Budget 65-70
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I am considering all of the same vehicles you've noted above other than the RS3. I also have a deposit for the upcoming G87.

I've really been thinking hard about a GT350R as it's just such a special car. I'm also considering a C7 Z06 manual as well. Waiting to see what the new M2 is going to look like before I jump ship.

I had been in love with BMW cars/design since I was a wee lad but the cars their putting out today just don't do anything for me. And I'm 30 so I'm basically their target audience
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 01:30 PM   #3
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What about a CT5-V Blackwing?
Appreciate 2
NYG10741.00
DrFerry6728.50
      07-20-2022, 01:53 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4boost View Post
I'm new here, I've been an audi guy since my B5 S4 in college. It was a love-hate stage 3+ car with meth. As much fun as it was it was a royal pain.

A few years later I upgraded to a b7 s4 with a pulley, tune and intake. Tons of fun and a total sleeper.

Now I have a maxima and pit about 20-25k miles on it for work. It's paid off and I'm gonna run the wheels off of it for work.

That said, I'm all over the place looking for my next car. I'll keep the maxima but I need something for the weekend.

So what are you buying?

G87 M2 manual
GT350
'22 RS3
Do you track? C7 Grand Sport easily.

If not, C7Z06 7-speed is the wildest car that I've ever owned. I replaced it with an R8 and even though I like the R8 more, the C7Z was so much more ferocious and powerful from the factory. I still miss it sometimes.

The M2 is another nice option but I don't vibe with the wheelbase and prefer the sound, power and grip from the C7.

Stay away from GT350s - I'm not even exaggerating when I tell you that almost EVERY track event someone in a GT350 would blow their engine, including friends who sold them shortly after. You used to see them all the time and now they appear once in a while - it's already a well accepted fact on the track. It's an incredible car, it sounds good, it handled better than my M4CS did but it's one of the worst engines that Ford has ever developed. They decided to take away one of the highlights of a flat-plane engine (balance) with their design. The only people that claim GT350s don't have problems are copers on Mustang forums that take them on sunday drives. It's an amazing car but it's a massive liability.
Appreciate 4
      07-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I like this option too, especially as a daily driver. One of the best cars to come out in a long time.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
DrFerry6728.50
      07-20-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
M2 Comp, Base C8 or C8 Z06
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
NYG10741.00
      07-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

sold my f80 and deciding between a mint e92 or 'bottom of the barrel' lc500. both are in the 55-70k range. Both have a thrilling NA V8. m3 has better steering and dct trans. lc500 is more luxurious, rare, and i will never have to worry about anything breaking.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:

So what are you buying?

G87 M2 manual
GT350
'22 RS3

If not, C7Z06 7-speed is the wildest car that I've ever owned. I replaced it with an R8 and even though I like the R8 more, the C7Z was so much more ferocious and powerful from the factory. I still miss it sometimes.

The M2 is another nice option but I don't vibe with the wheelbase and prefer the sound, power and grip from the C7.

Stay away from GT350s - I'm not even exaggerating when I tell you that almost EVERY track event someone in a GT350 would blow their engine, including friends who sold them shortly after. You used to see them all the time and now they appear once in a while - it's already a well accepted fact on the track. It's an incredible car, it sounds good, it handled better than my M4CS did but it's one of the worst engines that Ford has ever developed. They decided to take away one of the highlights of a flat-plane engine (balance) with their design. The only people that claim GT350s don't have problems are copers on Mustang forums that take them on sunday drives. It's an amazing car but it's a massive liability.
The GT350's aren't w out their issues but to say it's the worst designed engine by ford is a bit of an exaggeration IMO. I love they took a major risk and put a FPC in a mustang and highly doubt they'll ever do it again
Appreciate 1
nicholasn261.00
      07-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #9
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Of that list, easily the z06.

It’s the reason why I haven’t gotten rid of mine. It’s just an amazing car. Bulletproof reliable at 700hp.

And it’s shear power is the reason why corvette guys didn’t want NA in the c8z. Because of how ferocious the LT4 is in those z06’s.

It’s hard to explain. Test drive one and i bet you’re driving it home that same day.
Appreciate 3
NYG10741.00
nicholasn261.00
      07-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you like sleeper cars and like to mod, the RS3 should be your choice. I’m thinking of getting one as my next “modding hobby” car.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

It’s the reason why I haven’t gotten rid of mine. It’s just an amazing car. Bulletproof reliable at 700hp.

And it’s shear power is the reason why corvette guys didn’t want NA in the c8z. Because of how ferocious the LT4 is in those z06’s.

It’s hard to explain. Test drive one and i bet you’re driving it home that same day.

Facts - the C7Z changed my whole view on cars in general. I had a 19' with all the updated cooling and it still ran too hot on the race track so that's why I'd advise against it for that purpose alone but what a car.... Beautiful too.
Appreciate 3
      07-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #12
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Facts - the C7Z changed my whole view on cars in general. I had a 19' with all the updated cooling and it still ran too hot on the race track so that's why I'd advise against it for that purpose alone but what a car.... Beautiful too.
I haven't and won't track the C7Z even if i had the opportunity to. If i wanted an experience on a track, i'd take something less powerful so i can actually "have fun" on a track rather than worrying about putting my car into the wall. I'm actually debating on attending something before fall with the M3C since it's easier to drive fast because it's not as fast as the z06 lol.

But yeah man, the C7Z is easily the best car i've owned. Most reliable too. Not a single CEL EVER.

I hope the C8Z is the same type of ownership experience when i get mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #13
S4boost
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
I am considering all of the same vehicles you've noted above other than the RS3. I also have a deposit for the upcoming G87.

I've really been thinking hard about a GT350R as it's just such a special car. I'm also considering a C7 Z06 manual as well. Waiting to see what the new M2 is going to look like before I jump ship.

I had been in love with BMW cars/design since I was a wee lad but the cars their putting out today just don't do anything for me. And I'm 30 so I'm basically their target audience
We have a lot in common. I'm 34 and literally dying to get back in something fun. Officially placed a deposit on an M2 today. Will pick up the sales Manager signed agreement next week. My issue with the C7Z is price right now. They've inflated 15-25k easily in the last 18 months. Doesn't feel like as much of a bargain to pick up a 2018-2019 low mileage car for 85 anymore. Also it's a good bit above Mt budget. Hoping to get out the door with an m2 under 70 with my options. We'll see what happens when the buyer guide comes out.

Have you settled on the m2 or still thinking it over?

Side note... Chevy paint SUCKS. I have looked at and driven a number of vettes. Reminds me of an older homda's paint. Just looks so flat and dull. Uninspiring for such a mechanically impressive car. But also, I have seen a bunch of people on the vette forums complain about unusable power. 650 with tall gears = jail in a few seconds and 2 shifts. That said, the Targa is HUGE selling point. If money were no object I would get a 911S Targa all day.

Quote:
I think these are a bit over my budget and don't really suite the weekend thrasher category. The ct4 was interesting... but I'm thinking I want to stick with 2 doors.

Quote:

See above. C7Z's are in the mix and what I would want if I had the extra cash. Specs I like are closer to 85 right now. If the prices settle between now and when I place my order, it might be a more serious option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
M2 Comp, Base C8 or C8 Z06
C8's are crazy high right now. I can't imagine getting in a z06 for under 150-200 in the next 18 months, wayyyy above my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
sold my f80 and deciding between a mint e92 or 'bottom of the barrel' lc500. both are in the 55-70k range. Both have a thrilling NA V8. m3 has better steering and dct trans. lc500 is more luxurious, rare, and i will never have to worry about anything breaking.
Lc's look so cool. I'd go with the e92 for the fun factor personally. I have my maxima to putz around for work.

Quote:

I can't get anyone to let me test drive them haha. But the increase in value is whats holding me back right now. I think the c7 will maintain this current market pricing for a long time.

Quote:
If you like sleeper cars and like to mod, the RS3 should be your choice. I’m thinking of getting one as my next “modding hobby” car.
I definitely do like the sleeper thing. Not super hot on modding a brand new car though. I have a dealer in Colorado (personal friend) that can get me in one in 12-18 months.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYv1yU_jZCA

Why did you get rid of it? What did you replace it with?

Is this your video? The way the z06 ran down that porsche is crazy. And the sound is from the Gods.

Incredible.

Quote:
I haven't and won't track the C7Z even if i had the opportunity to. If i wanted an experience on a track, i'd take something less powerful so i can actually "have fun" on a track rather than worrying about putting my car into the wall. I'm actually debating on attending something before fall with the M3C since it's easier to drive fast because it's not as fast as the z06 lol.

But yeah man, the C7Z is easily the best car i've owned. Most reliable too. Not a single CEL EVER.

I hope the C8Z is the same type of ownership experience when i get mine.
You keeping the c7? The only real downside I have heard with c7Z's is the power is mostly unusable. Which is kind of what lead me to the C7 GS. 6K or so in a procharge setup gets you right at Z power if you feel like you need it. Frankly, 460-500 on the street is way more than enough in a car that small. Also, doesn't 2nd gear in the M7 top out at around 80-90?
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      07-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #14
OldDudesBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xDrive+16 535i xDrive

In order of likelihood for me:

Golf R
S3
m240i
RS3
Cayman
Z06 - wife loves it, so maybe has a better chance than I may think!

For me it is typically affordability/practicality vs want/desire vs asset/store of value. The first, then the last, will usually win out in the end for me over the want/desire, hence the current order of the list. When I do retire, hopefully in a few years, and hopefully with some extra cash (market corrects), then it can finally be a different story and I can shift to the latter two. I'm not cheap, but don't have $ to burn right now, especially with the market downturn.

That said, I am not likely going to be sold on anything above at today's prices. I won't pay over MSRP on principle, ever, even with desire and cash on hand. And MSRP or over for a 3-4 year old car like we've been seeing the last year...GTFO of here! LOL. When buying vehicles, especially higher cost ones, we typically try to buy a 3-4 year old low mile specimen, to avoid the ugly depreciation. Often we find ones that still have a year of powertrain warranty, just in case. I bought our 2016 535i XDrive with 17k off lease for 24k USD in late April 2020 (Covid sell off). Still had 11 months of warranty since original owner leased it late in the cycle. But, since all these cars on the list hold their value above and beyond the norm in a normal climate, prices have been nuts lately. Not to preach to anyone, but folks financing cars with only a little cash down better grab that gap insurance just in case prices dive down. Prices seem to have come down some, I hope it can continue back close to the old normal again. Especially for us car guys!

Last edited by OldDudesBimmer; 07-20-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #15
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

I have a 19 Z06 and really love it. The C8 is magnificent but I need a stick to make me happy or I would have waited.
Name:  vettoe20.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  781.9 KB
Appreciate 6
AlexFL7837.00
NYG10741.00
Gdiddy23907.50
nicholasn261.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      07-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #16
S4boost
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
I have a 19 Z06 and really love it. The C8 is magnificent but I need a stick to make me happy or I would have waited.
Attachment 2936439
This is not encouraging me to keep my g87 deposit.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #17
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

just keeping it real let me know if i can answer any questions. The car is exhilarating and fun to drive
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #18
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I have a '21 S5 Sportback right now but looking to get out of it. Audi's are nice comfy daily drivers but man do they become boring after a short while.

My next car is either going to be the new Civic Type R or a G80 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:11 PM   #19
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Just bought a Vanquish last week, definitely not quite as fun to drive as the FF I had before it, but 75% less miles, $30k lower price, looks brand new in and out, less maintenance/repair cost, one of the best stock sound systems I've heard, and really easy to drive more often than the FF. Both great cars, just very different. The Vanquish is a true GT car while the FF is a race car in a GT car's body.

Currently waiting on my 392 Wrangler order as a DD to replace my Macan GTS.

Next on the list would be a 991 GTS, V12 Vantage S, Wraith, 2015+ Ghost, or Bentley CGT V8S most likely. A 458 or F12 if they ever come back down in price would be a dream. If I could get a GT4RS at MSRP I'd pick one up but that seems unlikely any time soon if ever. The older I get the more I like the comfortable luxury yachts, feels weird man.

Last edited by dgoldenz; 07-20-2022 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
NYG10741.00
      07-21-2022, 12:14 AM   #20
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Is this your video? The way the z06 ran down that porsche is crazy. And the sound is from the Gods.

Incredible.
I had an Akrapovic Evo on the car - it sounded wild. I crashed at Watkins Glen International at 100+ mph and the car was a total loss. I got it for 67k with 88 miles on it and all the plastic still covering the seats. I was going to get another one or a ZR1 but at that point prices went insane.

I got a new 2021 R8 V10 to replace it. It sounds even better than the C7Z but I can't put lap times down with it like I could with the Corvette in stock form. It needs a race suspension.

Here's a clip of my Z06 + Akrapovic mic'd up:

Appreciate 4
eliphil1837.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
S4boost100.00
      07-21-2022, 01:40 AM   #21
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

If I didn’t have my Z4MC I’d get a C6 Z06. Just because IMO it’s better looking than C7 and has got a giant NA V8.
But Z4M is better all around so I plan to keep it until wheels fall off.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 05:37 AM   #22
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We have a lot in common. I'm 34 and literally dying to get back in something fun. Officially placed a deposit on an M2 today. Will pick up the sales Manager signed agreement next week. My issue with the C7Z is price right now. They've inflated 15-25k easily in the last 18 months. Doesn't feel like as much of a bargain to pick up a 2018-2019 low mileage car for 85 anymore. Also it's a good bit above Mt budget. Hoping to get out the door with an m2 under 70 with my options. We'll see what happens when the buyer guide comes out.

Have you settled on the m2 or still thinking it over?

Side note... Chevy paint SUCKS. I have looked at and driven a number of vettes. Reminds me of an older homda's paint. Just looks so flat and dull. Uninspiring for such a mechanically impressive car. But also, I have seen a bunch of people on the vette forums complain about unusable power. 650 with tall gears = jail in a few seconds and 2 shifts. That said, the Targa is HUGE selling point. If money were no object I would get a 911S Targa all day.

I think these are a bit over my budget and don't really suite the weekend thrasher category. The ct4 was interesting... but I'm thinking I want to stick with 2 doors.

See above. C7Z's are in the mix and what I would want if I had the extra cash. Specs I like are closer to 85 right now. If the prices settle between now and when I place my order, it might be a more serious option.

C8's are crazy high right now. I can't imagine getting in a z06 for under 150-200 in the next 18 months, wayyyy above my budget.

Lc's look so cool. I'd go with the e92 for the fun factor personally. I have my maxima to putz around for work.

I can't get anyone to let me test drive them haha. But the increase in value is whats holding me back right now. I think the c7 will maintain this current market pricing for a long time.

I definitely do like the sleeper thing. Not super hot on modding a brand new car though. I have a dealer in Colorado (personal friend) that can get me in one in 12-18 months.

Incredible.

You keeping the c7? The only real downside I have heard with c7Z's is the power is mostly unusable. Which is kind of what lead me to the C7 GS. 6K or so in a procharge setup gets you right at Z power if you feel like you need it. Frankly, 460-500 on the street is way more than enough in a car that small. Also, doesn't 2nd gear in the M7 top out at around 80-90?

Yeah my car is worth basically the same I paid years ago brand new lol. It’s crazy.

Idk if I’m keeping it. I’m on a wait list for both the stingray and z06 and I have a feeling both will arrive around the same time once we find out how many allocations my dealer gets for the first model year z06. If they come at the same time I have no choice but to get rid of the c7z. I literally have no room for all these cars since I have the m3 and the Tesla which needs room to charge too lol

I need a bigger house with more garage space.

I do agree a bit on power. Conditions have to be almost perfect or you can run r888s in warm weather. That’s what I did but the road noise was horrendous. So I put an all season tire and just fuck it, one tire all year round. But I have no traction until 80-90, even in warm weather if you stab the pedal. The car makes a shit ton of torque. Something you’ll get addicted to if you’re not used to it.

I suggest driving the gs first then. Because if you test drive the z06 you won’t think about a gs.
Appreciate 0