02-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
just wish it was a little wider, I know why they didn't make it wider, but that was my only small gripe. I think it will however sell well, I know us personally, already have a handful of request so their is some initial hype.
+1. I know we will sell a ton of them but shocked to see its actually slightly narrower than the X5.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10768.50
      02-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #24
VR4everTMnever
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

Wanted this thing for our family - just not big enough! Can’t take 3 kids to Costco in a stretched X5!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #25
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Legendary for ugliness. This is not going to sell well once people who want one get it. It's just not good looking compared to other SUVs in the same segment.
I think you are going to be proved wrong. At its price point, it will be a pretty big seller for the volume they want out of it.
      02-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Quote:
Legendary for ugliness. This is not going to sell well once people who want one get it. It's just not good looking compared to other SUVs in the same segment.
I think you are going to be proved wrong. At its price point, it will be a pretty big seller for the volume they want out of it.
Maybe, and I'll gladly eat my words if it does. I just don't think it will be a success here in the USA. I'm sure it will do well in China. Not many people want these giant SUVs (they want SUVs, just mid-size ones) and those that do want one already have their preferred choice, e.g. Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Audi. Time will tell.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #27
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Maybe, and I'll gladly eat my words if it does. I just don't think it will be a success here in the USA. I'm sure it will do well in China. Not many people want these giant SUVs (they want SUVs, just mid-size ones) and those that do want one already have their preferred choice, e.g. Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Audi. Time will tell.
They’re trying to sell 25-30k of these. That will be no problem. Only Benz makes this size, not Audi. Lexus kinda does but the LX third row is garbage. The American stuff is incomparable

I just sat in one. 3-4 kids between rows two and three is no problem at all. Especially with captains option cause that gives row three space to place their in-board leg/foot. Didn’t confirm if arm rests are removable or not, salesman didn’t know

One thing of note for those with kids: the top tether hook for the captains’s chairs is located on the floor on the seat rail. So if you use that tether with a kids car seat you cant really move that seat at all

Last edited by ppagiga; 02-16-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #28
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold187um View Post
They’re trying to sell 25-30k of these. That will be no problem. Only Benz makes this size, not Audi. Lexus kinda does but the LX third row is garbage. The American stuff is incomparable

I just sat in one. 3-4 kids between rows two and three is no problem at all. Especially with captains option cause that gives row three space to place their in-board leg/foot. Didn’t confirm if arm rests are removable or not, salesman didn’t know

One thing of note for those with kids: the top tether hook for the captains’s chairs is located on the floor on the seat rail. So if you use that tether with a kids car seat you cant really move that seat at all
Aren’t you concerned about storage space getting the captains chairs.One of the main reasons i need an SUV the size of the X7 is to be able to put the second and third row bench seats fully flat to load it up with a huge load of cargo sometimes.You can’t do that if you have the second row captain’s chairs.That is why i ordered my X7 with the second row bench seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #29
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Aren’t you concerned about storage space getting the captains chairs.One of the main reasons i need an SUV the size of the X7 is to be able to put the second and third row bench seats fully flat to load it up with a huge load of cargo sometimes.You can’t do that if you have the second row captain’s chairs.That is why i ordered my X7 with the second row bench seat.
Totally agree. For me don’t need that storage but a def con to going the 2+2+2 route
Appreciate 1
SW192453.00
      02-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #30
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

People complain about every new BMW model that comes out. When that model ends production people say how much better it is than the new model replacing it. Give it time. BMW will sell these things like hotcakes in the US and China. We have big roads over here and love big SUVs and Pickups. There is a reason BMW is making SUVs here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #31
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

The x7 will not put a dent in GM or Ford motors sales. Maybe it will scratch the surface. IMHO, the x7 will take away Merc,LR, and Lexus 570 crowd. We are 1-2 yrs away from replacing our Denali. The X7 will not be considered. The 3 i will consider- new GM Denali/Cadi, Navi, and Toyota LC. I need something more rugged than a BMW. Something that will take a beating inside (kids) and out. Just $.02.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffode View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
Legend is certainly not the first word coming to mind here

It's too big
Too expensive
Too ugly

What is the remaining attraction or case for this car to exist?

BMW have churned our the most awful looking cars lately and angered there central customer base. I've looked at the x5 in different colours, the back is too flat and the front is ugly with that hopeless grill.

I'd love to hear in more detail the thought process leading to the purchase of an x7
I don't understand, you drive an X5, which is also a very large car. Some people want or need something a bit bigger. For a lot of people, including myself, the X5 is too big. It all depends on the person. There really isn't much more to it. And in terms of looks, I agree about the G05 rear being too flat, but I like the front and sides.

Also it's "their", not "there".
Agreed - when my kids were little we needed an SUV with a true third row - BMW offered nothing of the sort - so we bought an Audi Q7 - which we liked a lot.

BMW lost a sale (and I'm sure countless others) to another manufacturer that it otherwise could've had - BMW definitely would've been foolish not to develop the X7 no matter how opposite it may be to the ideals of our ever-decreasing group of "enthusiasts."

And - as many others above so aptly point out - need the SUV sales (like Porsche) to keep offering the performance-oriented cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan9 View Post
The x7 will not put a dent in GM or Ford motors sales. Maybe it will scratch the surface. IMHO, the x7 will take away Merc,LR, and Lexus 570 crowd. We are 1-2 yrs away from replacing our Denali. The X7 will not be considered. The 3 i will consider- new GM Denali/Cadi, Navi, and Toyota LC. I need something more rugged than a BMW. Something that will take a beating inside (kids) and out. Just $.02.
Yeah totally get the want to have something to beat up and to have a lot more space inside than this vehicle provides. For that reason this won’t win many American suv buyers over. Maybe a short wheelbase Escalade or Navi buyer or two.

As for the Japanese their stuff is just so dated at this point. Hard for me to pull trigger on an LC or LX or Sequoia when they are a decade old
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #34
eoddom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

As someone that's pre-ordered one, personally its the best option in the segment. All of the domestics are just too damn big and the quality of service you're going to get from any of those dealerships is horrible.

We dont NEED a third row vehicle, but we live far from family and have 2 kids so when people fly in, this means we can carry everyone around without renting or driving a second car.

95% of the time, the third row will be folded down. Outside of that I just love the fit and finish of the new x5/x7. For so long BMW has had REALLY bad interiors. They finally are bringing something to market that can compete with Audi/Mercedes.

I also owned the newest body style of Q7 and loved it, but there were just so many issues with it that Audi still needed to work out. Constant trips to the dealership for warranty work to be shoved into a Q3 was exhausting.

I'm still waiting to see the RS7 though before I upgrade from my F80 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #35
M3BeamerVroom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Azurite Black

It's beautiful. My mom lease was up on Escalade so she got x5 because dealership said they wouldn't arrive till spring and she couldn't wait that long. Def will be her next car when this lease up
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #36
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason340Msport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
just wish it was a little wider, I know why they didn't make it wider, but that was my only small gripe. I think it will however sell well, I know us personally, already have a handful of request so their is some initial hype.
+1. I know we will sell a ton of them but shocked to see its actually slightly narrower than the X5.
a negligible amount
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #37
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddom View Post
As someone that's pre-ordered one, personally its the best option in the segment. All of the domestics are just too damn big and the quality of service you're going to get from any of those dealerships is horrible.

We dont NEED a third row vehicle, but we live far from family and have 2 kids so when people fly in, this means we can carry everyone around without renting or driving a second car.

95% of the time, the third row will be folded down. Outside of that I just love the fit and finish of the new x5/x7. For so long BMW has had REALLY bad interiors. They finally are bringing something to market that can compete with Audi/Mercedes.

I also owned the newest body style of Q7 and loved it, but there were just so many issues with it that Audi still needed to work out. Constant trips to the dealership for warranty work to be shoved into a Q3 was exhausting.

I'm still waiting to see the RS7 though before I upgrade from my F80 M3.
The X7 is nice if you need 3 rows, I would've bought one over my X5 if I had and children, thankfully I do not.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #38
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

The word fugly comes to mind when I see the X7.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #39
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
The X7 is nice if you need 3 rows, I would've bought one over my X5 if I had and children, thankfully I do not.
Do not...Have children or an X7? Either way, consider yourself lucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #40
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Do not...Have children or an X7? Either way, consider yourself lucky.
I do have a G05 X5 50i the wife and I aren't a fan of having children so we have pets instead
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00