forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Debating X7 M50i / XB7 / GLS63

06-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #45
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Again, if you're seriously considering an SUV for yourself and want to stay in the BMW family, you cannot go wrong with the M50i IMHO. Fantastic cruising car, doesn't feel too big to me and can move. I clocked 0-60 the other day with my Draggy at 4.6 secs. I'm convinced it can do better. The car moves and it has a lot of flexibility. Do you need two of them? Per other suggestions, maybe a nicely powered sedan would do and you can trade off with your wife here and there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #46
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

While I haven't driven an X7 at all the one constant comment about Alpinas is that their suspension is amazing and so well developed. From reading your posts I feel like the XB7 might appeal to you because of that.
      07-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #47
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
While I haven't driven an X7 at all the one constant comment about Alpinas is that their suspension is amazing and so well developed. From reading your posts I feel like the XB7 might appeal to you because of that.
That's definitely something I am hearing as well. I've never driven in an Alpina anything before.

I can't do a sedan, I'm not a car guy. I need/want something bigger. I hate being low to the ground. So I'm stuck with an SUV. I'm still going to sit and see some reviews once these all come out. It's too hard to make heads or tails by leaks and articles that just all copy each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #48
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

There are some interesting characteristics related to Alpina:

The ALPINA Sport Suspension, with two-axle air springs, a finely-balanced damper set-up and Active Roll Stabilization, offers a wide variety of driving experiences ranging from plush ride comfort to advanced, race-inspired dynamics. An ALPINA specific dome-bulkhead strut and reinforced torsion struts increase body rigidity.

The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers “with” (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability. The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+.

Of course, a Test Drive will help for your final decision. 👍
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      07-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #49
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post

The ALPINA Sport Suspension, with two-axle air springs, a finely-balanced damper set-up and Active Roll Stabilization, offers a wide variety of driving experiences ranging from plush ride comfort to advanced, race-inspired dynamics. An ALPINA specific dome-bulkhead strut and reinforced torsion struts increase body rigidity.

The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers "with" (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability. The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+.

Of course, a Test Drive will help for your final decision. ��
ALPINA needs less BMW marketing flourishes on their website. Not attempting to "poop" on any one's enthusiasm for a XB7 but offering a Bimmer enthusiast's just the facts translation through "clear lens" (versus rose colored) on how to compare and consider a X7 M50i to ALPINA XB7.

A couple of comments in parsing the above:

[COLOR="Blue"]The ALPINA Sport Suspension, with two-axle air springs, a finely-balanced damper set-up and Active Roll Stabilization, offers a wide variety of driving experiences ranging from plush ride comfort to advanced, race-inspired dynamics. An ALPINA specific dome-bulkhead strut and reinforced torsion struts increase body rigidity.[/COLOR]

ALPINA specific-dampers, dome and torsion struts are of note, perhaps ALPINA ARS logic/ratios otherwise same BMW hardware - ARS, air suspension and level adjustments.

[COLOR="Blue"]The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers "with" (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability.[/COLOR]

ALPINA IAS = BMW IAS and functions the same way - 2.3 l/r max rear wheel pivot angle and low/high speed steering handling - opposite directions at low/same at high.

[COLOR="Blue"]The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+[/COLOR]

What boggles my mind is they erred in communicating the "3 steering modes" which in actuality are the Driving Dynamics Controls modes: COMFORT, COMFORT+ (available in certain markets), SPORT and SPORT+. Steering is affected by selecting a driving control but isn't itself a mode.

Selecting any of the DDCs will adjust:

- electronic damper control (EDC) in the air suspension
- air suspension height
- integral active steering
- engine response
- transmission response, gear hold
- active exhaust
- steering response

If SPORT Individual is available for ALPINAs, then you can selectively choose what SPORT DDC adjusts.

Otherwise exciting product to fill the X7 ///M void.

Last edited by Auricom; 07-17-2020 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
MomoM3987.00
      07-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #50
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
ALPINA needs less BMW marketing flourishes on their website. Not attempting to "poop" on any one's enthusiasm on for a XB7 but offering a Bimmer enthusiast translation through "clear lens" (versus rose colored) on how to compare and consider a X7 M50i to ALPINA XB7.

ALPINA specific-dampers, dome and torsion struts are of note, otherwise same BMW air suspension and level adjustments.

The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers "with" (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability.

ALPINA IAS is BMW IAS and functions the same way - max rear wheel steering angle and low/high speed steering.

The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+

What boggles my mind is they erred in communicating the "3 steering modes" which in actuality are the 3 Driving Dynamics Controls modes: COMFORT, COMFORT+ SPORT and SPORT+. Steering is affected by selecting a driving control but isn't itself a mode.

- air suspension height
- engine response
- transmission response and gear hold
- active exhaust
- steering

If SPORT Individual is available ALPINA, then you can selectively choose what SPORT DDC adjusts.

Damn well done.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #51
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:

The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers "with" (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability. The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+.

Of course, a Test Drive will help for your final decision. ��
ALPINA needs less BMW marketing flourishes on their website. Not attempting to "poop" on any one's enthusiasm for a XB7 but offering a Bimmer enthusiast's just the facts translation through "clear lens" (versus rose colored) on how to compare and consider a X7 M50i to ALPINA XB7.

[COLOR="Blue"]The ALPINA Sport Suspension, with two-axle air springs, a finely-balanced damper set-up and Active Roll Stabilization, offers a wide variety of driving experiences ranging from plush ride comfort to advanced, race-inspired dynamics. An ALPINA specific dome-bulkhead strut and reinforced torsion struts increase body rigidity.[/COLOR]

ALPINA specific-dampers, dome and torsion struts are of note, perhaps ALPINA ARS logic/ratios otherwise same BMW hardware - ARS, air suspension and level adjustments.

[COLOR="Blue"]The Integral Active Steering enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers "with" (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability.[/COLOR]

ALPINA IAS = BMW IAS and functions the same way - 2.3 l/r max rear wheel pivot angle and low/high speed steering handling - opposite directions at low/same at high.

[COLOR="Blue"]The driver can choose from three steering modes: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+[/COLOR]

What boggles my mind is they erred in communicating the "3 steering modes" which in actuality are the Driving Dynamics Controls modes: COMFORT, COMFORT+ (available in certain markets), SPORT and SPORT+. Steering is affected by selecting a driving control but isn't itself a mode.

- air suspension height
- engine response
- transmission response, gear hold
- active exhaust
- steering response

If SPORT Individual is available for ALPINAs, then you can selectively choose what SPORT DDC adjusts.

Love it.... that's how I feel. It's a bunch of fluff to make people think they are buying a superior car so they can justify the money in their mind... and in some models and country locations it's a better justification than others. Is it better in the XB7 than the M50i most likely yes.... is it $30k better than the loaded M50i I highly doubt it. I guess a big portion of that $30k goes to marketing brochures :
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #52
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Love it.... that's how I feel. It's a bunch of fluff to make people think they are buying a superior car so they can justify the money in their mind... and in some models and country locations it's a better justification than others. Is it better in the XB7 than the M50i most likely yes.... is it $30k better than the loaded M50i I highly doubt it. I guess a big portion of that $30k goes to marketing brochures :
It's like asking someone why did he bought an M5 when an M550i is available?
Than I would ask why would you buy an M50i when a 40i has enough power for normal street use ?
Alpina is based on BMW models, with different adjustments. Are we surprised about that?
Can you justify the price difference between the M5 and M550i? If not, the most powerful model it's not for you.
The same thing is valid for the Alpina B5 vs M550i, Alpina B7 vs 750Li, Alpina XB7 vs M50i version.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #53
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Than I would ask why would you buy an M50i when a 40i has enough power for normal street use ?
Alpina is based on BMW models, with different adjustments. Are we surprised about that?
Can you justify the price difference between the M5 and M550i? If not, the most powerful model it's not for you.
The same thing is valid for the Alpina B5 vs M550i, Alpina B7 vs 750Li, Alpina XB7 vs M50i version.
For me it's not a price thing, it's what I was getting for the price that made me walk away from the Alpina. Well that and I couldn't get the msport look that I prefer. Personal thing, no offense to the people who prefer the non msport look.

I was waiting on it as well as many were on here and it was a bit disappointing to be honest when I found out what was offered, especially in the US. Then covid caused supply issues and I had to scramble to get a fully loaded 2020 M50i which was my fallback plan... well the M50i not the 2020.

In the end I'm glad I made the quick call to switch gears because it only got worse as the weeks went by and we truly saw that options were stripped out of the M50i in 2021.

I just think for the cost difference between the two versions there should be more in the XB7. For me there isn't enough to make the upgrade worth it. Once again my opinion. For others they may and will see it differently.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #54
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Very well said!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #55
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For me it's not a price thing, it's what I was getting for the price that made me walk away from the Alpina. Well that and I couldn't get the msport look that I prefer. Personal thing, no offense to the people who prefer the non msport look.

I was waiting on it as well as many were on here and it was a bit disappointing to be honest when I found out what was offered, especially in the US. Then covid caused supply issues and I had to scramble to get a fully loaded 2020 M50i which was my fallback plan... well the M50i not the 2020.

In the end I'm glad I made the quick call to switch gears because it only got worse as the weeks went by and we truly saw that options were stripped out of the M50i in 2021.

I just think for the cost difference between the two versions there should be more in the XB7. For me there isn't enough to make the upgrade worth it. Once again my opinion. For others they may and will see it differently.
Couldn't agree more. I've got a nicely equipped M50i and love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #56
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Appreciate 1
bmr760141.00
      07-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #57
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I agree a $30,000 premium to buy an XB7 is a lot but I'm sure X7 owners will be twisting their heads the first time they see an XB7 cruise by. I know I will.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #58
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

The 50i optioned well is peppy enough. The M50i is quite quick for it's size and priced well. The XB7 is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. Unique and well engineered sure... but I am not sure if that $30k is worth it. I think an 50i or M50i is more than enough then take that $40k or so and buy a weekend toy. I think you'd have more bang for your buck that way but there is an ass for every seat. I have no doubt they will sell a few of these and I will definitely admire then as they whip past me going 35mph on the way to the mall or grocery store.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #59
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The 50i optioned well is peppy enough. The M50i is quite quick for it's size and priced well. The XB7 is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. Unique and well engineered sure... but I am not sure if that $30k is worth it. I think an 50i or M50i is more than enough then take that $40k or so and buy a weekend toy. I think you'd have more bang for your buck that way but there is an ass for every seat. I have no doubt they will sell a few of these and I will definitely admire then as they whip past me going 35mph on the way to the mall or grocery store.
Agreed. To each their own for sure. I favor the M Sport look, so that alone disqualifies it for me. After owning the M50i since March, I just can't imagine having more power under the hood. The car moves ... and so does the 50i.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50
Wild Blue3683.50
      07-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #60
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The 50i optioned well is peppy enough.
Well, to be fair, you could certainly argue the same for the 40i.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #61
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Yes but loaded with cargo and passengers it is a bit under-powered and overworked IMO. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #62
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I own the 50i and have test drove several M50i's and there is no perceivable difference in power. The 40i is a very good engine but underwhelming after living with the V8.

And IMO a 40i M-Sport looks identical on the road to a M50i which hurts the exclusiveness of the M50i. You can disagree but XB7 buyers will enjoy a distinctive looking SAV that separates it from the pack. Sure, they're paying for that privilege but they'll be king of the X7 hill, if you ever get to see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #63
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I own the 50i and have test drove several M50i's and there is no perceivable difference in power. The 40i is a very good engine but underwhelming after living with the V8.

And IMO a 40i M-Sport looks identical on the road to a M50i which hurts the exclusiveness of the M50i. You can disagree but XB7 buyers will enjoy a distinctive looking SAV that separates it from the pack. Sure, they're paying for that privilege but they'll be king of the X7 hill, if you ever get to see one.
I think they could have done more with the exterior styling of the XB7 to differentiate it from a non M Sport X7. Totally underwhelming IMO.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      07-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #64
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post

I think they could have done more with the exterior styling of the XB7 to differentiate it from a non M Sport X7. Totally underwhelming IMO.
I guess ALPINA decided to leave the over-the-top styling to the AMG guys. 😉
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:27 AM   #65
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
This is my exact problem. If they just had SOMETHING unique or special one could justify. But so much is just standard x7 stuff, and some things the M50i looks better with (like the front bumper, imo). The interior also, just standard interior? What is that? There should be something unique. Some unique leather combination options, unique headliner options, idk, something different. It's so incredibly close to standard with the exception of some logos and emblems here and there - woopty do. Let's see when it comes out. I'm going to be comparing it to the other models I mentioned above.

I'll be pretty upset though if I end up getting a 2021 M50i and someone mentioned a lot of things aren't available anymore for the 2021 as it was for 2020.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:06 AM   #66
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
Quote:
This is my exact problem. If they just had SOMETHING unique or special one could justify. But so much is just standard x7 stuff, and some things the M50i looks better with (like the front bumper, imo). The interior also, just standard interior? What is that? There should be something unique. Some unique leather combination options, unique headliner options, idk, something different. It's so incredibly close to standard with the exception of some logos and emblems here and there - woopty do. Let's see when it comes out. I'm going to be comparing it to the other models I mentioned above.

I'll be pretty upset though if I end up getting a 2021 M50i and someone mentioned a lot of things aren't available anymore for the 2021 as it was for 2020.
I think that's exactly the problem.... we were expecting more...and they didn't deliver. Plus the M50i delivers so it closed the gap way too much between the two and the cost difference became unjustifiable.

Well with some options only in the Alpina and taken away from the rest of the line up in 2021 it's going to be interesting.

I still ask myself how am I buying a 2020 when 2021 is out.... because it's better.... that's soooo weird... thanks covid.
Appreciate 0