forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Debating X7 M50i / XB7 / GLS63

08-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #89
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

This is one area where owning a BMW saves you money, service. I could count on a $600 invoice every time I took our GLS in for service. Cost of ownership for MB is just higher.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      08-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #90
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Definitely, same with Audi.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #91
TexasJester
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
Dang guys, apparently the XB7s are sold out for 2020 anyway, so I guess that's off the table for me unless I wanted to wait a whole additional year. At least by then I would have plenty of reviews to watch.
If you go on cargurus there is are 2 pages of new XB7’s. Most are in California. I’ve read a whole lot of opinion in this thread but I can tell you with absolute certainty the XB7 feels like a completely different car that a M50i. I traded my M50i I bought in may for my XB7. It’s like comparing a VW Touareg to a cayenne turbo. Yes, it’s that much of a difference.
Attached Images

Last edited by TexasJester; 12-21-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #92
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJester View Post
I traded my M50i I bought in may for my XB7. It’s like comparing a VW Touareg to a cayenne turbo. Yes, it’s that much of a difference.
Yeah now you're just blowing smoke. It's 97% the same SUV.
I get that you need to make yourself feel better about the purchase but a Touareg and a Cayenne Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #93
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

This combo is killer for the XB7. I hope the link works.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/12/20/a...=1&slide=0
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      12-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #94
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Definitely, same with Audi.
If you have mechanical ability just pick up vagcom and service the Audi’s yourself. That’s what I’ve done and it’s kept cost of maintenance extremely low.

Last edited by BMWBear; 12-22-2020 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #95
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I get that you need to make yourself feel better about the purchase but a Touareg and a Cayenne Turbo?
I agree. To me it's more like someone adding a supercharger and an aftermarket bottom spoiler. I'm not a fan at all. Looks cheap to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #96
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
If you go on cargurus there is are 2 pages of new XB7’s. Most are in California. I’ve read a whole lot of opinion in this thread but I can tell you with absolute certainty the XB7 feels like a completely different car that a M50i. I traded my M50i I bought in may for my XB7. It’s like comparing a VW Touareg to a cayenne turbo. Yes, it’s that much of a difference.
I guess a bit of hyperbole is expected when you spend $150K+ for an XB7 but X7 M50i owners tend to be easily put off by comparisons so you might want to temper your XB7 accolades. Just enjoy it and don't worry what anyone else thinks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #97
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I guess a bit of hyperbole is expected when you spend $150K+ for an XB7 but X7 M50i owners tend to be easily put off by comparisons so you might want to temper your XB7 accolades. Just enjoy it and don't worry what anyone else thinks.
Hold up a little gang, I’m not trashing the M50i even a little tiny bit. But for the guy or gal that’s considering the XB7 it feels like a completely different vehicle. The exterior and interior differences are minor and subjective. But one ride or drive and the difference is literally night and day. When I went to check out the one I bought I had some of the same thoughts as expressed here. You say enjoy it and don’t care what anyone thinks, the OP is about the difference and is it worth it. Well unlike the thinkers and opinions expressed by guys that don’t know, well I do know which is why I answered. Certainly not to ruffle any feathers.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      12-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #98
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
If you have mechanical ability just pick up vagcom and service the Audi’s yourself. That’s what I’ve done and it’s kept cost of maintenance extremely low.
Yep, I have always had a VagCom going back to the B5 S4 days and "FATS". You shouldn't have a VAG vehicle without a VagCom. Shame they now pair the device with a VIN like LR/RR. It was much better when one could use one VCDS for multiple vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #99
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Hold up a little gang, I’m not trashing the M50i even a little tiny bit. But for the guy or gal that’s considering the XB7 it feels like a completely different vehicle. The exterior and interior differences are minor and subjective. But one ride or drive and the difference is literally night and day. When I went to check out the one I bought I had some of the same thoughts as expressed here. You say enjoy it and don’t care what anyone thinks, the OP is about the difference and is it worth it. Well unlike the thinkers and opinions expressed by guys that don’t know, well I do know which is why I answered. Certainly not to ruffle any feathers.
I do appreciate the comparison. I am entertaining the idea of XB7 over even x5M./
Funny enough i have driven x5m several times and the power does not wow you. Low end torque is not there.

But if you are saying xb7 is dramatically different from m50 - it will be worth a price jump.
Does it have Active roll stabilization similar to DHP pack on the x7 M50?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #100
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
I do appreciate the comparison. I am entertaining the idea of XB7 over even x5M./
Funny enough i have driven x5m several times and the power does not wow you. Low end torque is not there.

But if you are saying xb7 is dramatically different from m50 - it will be worth a price jump.
If you’re looking for HP/torque just get a Trackhawk.
There’s nothing out there that’s going to give you that kind of power to price ratio. Throw in a tune and you’re beating every soccer mom to the front of the drop off line every morning. (Mic drop)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #101
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
I traded my M50i I bought in may for my XB7. It’s like comparing a VW Touareg to a cayenne turbo. Yes, it’s that much of a difference.
Yup ... I had a Touareg V8 and drove a CTurbo on many occasions. I have an M50i and have driven my friend's XB7. The XB7 is a nice car, but the analogy is way off.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #102
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
love the vehicle in your color selection. alpina on front really pops. and those rims
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #103
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

If you have spent much time in a M50i and know that if you really want it to move it takes full throttle and I was satisfied with the passing power at full throttle. The XB7’s power comes in low and the power band is very smooth. Very few times have I floored it. I was plenty happy with the M50i and couldn’t imagine that the changes made making it such a different driving vehicle. All of those differences are night and day but the tiniest difference is the huge one for me, NO auto stop/start B.S. no having that crap is almost priceless!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #104
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have spent much time in a M50i and know that if you really want it to move it takes full throttle and I was satisfied with the passing power at full throttle. The XB7’s power comes in low and the power band is very smooth. Very few times have I floored it. I was plenty happy with the M50i and couldn’t imagine that the changes made making it such a different driving vehicle. All of those differences are night and day but the tiniest difference is the huge one for me, NO auto stop/start B.S. no having that crap is almost priceless!
Yeah I can’t remember the last time I went to pass someone and needed anything close to full throttle.

Luckily the tiny removal of the start/stop was only $30k. Sounds like a steal to me. Enjoy!

Last edited by BMWBear; 12-24-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #105
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I can’t remember the last time I went to pass someone and needed anything close to full throttle.

Luckily the tiny removal of the start/stop was only $30k. Sounds like a steal to me. Enjoy!
It’s been said that most everyone is fond of a little ass but I’ve never heard of anyone overly fond of a smartass.
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
      12-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #106
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s been said that most everyone is fond of a little ass but I’ve never heard of anyone overly fond of a smartass.
The same could be said about a dumbass .. now back to the “debate”.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #107
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
The same could be said about a dumbass .. now back to the “debate”.
I’m not sure if your confessing to being a dumbass smartass or what but there is nothing to debate here. The XB7 is completely awesome and absolutely worth the money. If your just here to be a hater there are plenty forums out there for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #108
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
I’m not sure if your confessing to being a dumbass smartass or what but there is nothing to debate here. The XB7 is completely awesome and absolutely worth the money. If your just here to be a hater there are plenty forums out there for you.
Ok couple things. First off I’m decidedly not a hater and believe it’s your money spend it how you like. That said xb7 is a very nice addition to the x7. Is it a little nicer than the m50i? Not to me personally no. Only thing I like about it is the bigger turbos making more power. Other than that it’s looks ok but I prefer the look of my m50i. Again nice car no doubt but if we’re really going to compare apples to apples vs an m50i and compare what you get for the extra 30k then no dude I’m sorry yours is not worth it. Not even a little and most normal people would agree. More that’s not to say you made a bad move no, it’s your money. Again if bang for the buck is considered its by No means worth it.

This is nothing new all high end halo type products get you less and less the more you spend. Not just cars but all high end products. Some people just want the best and price be dammed and that’s ok In my opinion.

Only issue I see here is really trying to justify to a bunch of more normal ish folks that it’s worth the extra money. That isn’t going to fly with most people unless you’re one of the few with money to burn and want the best at any cost. Which again is come by me but just don’t try to sell the idea as being worth it or a good value because it simply isn’t. No debate there bud.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #109
TexasJester
Private
Rep

lets put this in perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Ok couple things. First off IÂ’m decidedly not a hater and believe itÂ’s your money spend it how you like. That said xb7 is a very nice addition to the x7. Is it a little nicer than the m50i? Not to me personally no. Only thing I like about it is the bigger turbos making more power. Other than that itÂ’s looks ok but I prefer the look of my m50i. Again nice car no doubt but if weÂ’re really going to compare apples to apples vs an m50i and compare what you get for the extra 30k then no dude IÂ’m sorry yours is not worth it. Not even a little and most normal people would agree. More thatÂ’s not to say you made a bad move no, itÂ’s your money. Again if bang for the buck is considered its by No means worth it.

This is nothing new all high end halo type products get you less and less the more you spend. Not just cars but all high end products. Some people just want the best and price be dammed and thatÂ’s ok In my opinion.

Only issue I see here is really trying to justify to a bunch of more normal ish folks that itÂ’s worth the extra money. That isnÂ’t going to fly with most people unless youÂ’re one of the few with money to burn and want the best at any cost. Which again is come by me but just donÂ’t try to sell the idea as being worth it or a good value because it simply isnÂ’t. No debate there bud.
lets really put this discussion in total perspective. the OP title is debating X7 M50i/XB7/GLS63. anyone putting their 2 cents in this thread, being someone that is considering one of these 3 vehicles or should at very least have put their ass in the seat of the 3 said vehicles to start with. next, we can drop the notion that anyone spending over 100k on a vehicle is not in search of the one that is most economical or in ANY way actually worth the price paid. this thread is comparing 3 of the coolest 3 row hot rod vehicles on the planet. like it or not, what exactly could anyone that hasnt driven all 3 possibly tell us? its my opinion anyone considering dropping this kind of money shouldnt settle. i traded my 2019 GLS63 in and put 30k miles on my M50i while waiting for the new GLS63 to get here. i knew my M50i extremely well and in one extremely short test drive of the XB7 i knew my M50i was being traded immediately. and the first GLS63 that hit Texas with my name on it was decided against immediately as well. anyone looking to get the most car for the least money should probably be discussing a Kia Telluride but thats not what this post is about. also, if your hung up on the exterior or interior not being different enough or it dont fit your taste i can tell you there aint enough difference in the visual either inside or outside that would make me trade my M50i. it has everything to do with how its suspension, power band, the trans tune and last but certainly not least i dont miss for a single second not having to turn off the BS start /stop crap! anyone that has not been in the drivers seat of a XB7 cant possibly understand. YES, there is that much difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #110
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IROhCVYmiHI/maxresdefault.jpg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0