forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Thule Motion XT XL vs XXL

07-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #45
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Maybe a silly question, but how hard is it to mount the roof box by yourself without a second person? It is quite heavy and bulky, and X7 is a tall car…
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #46
asianrage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50+ 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugr View Post
Maybe a silly question, but how hard is it to mount the roof box by yourself without a second person? It is quite heavy and bulky, and X7 is a tall car…
For a trip last month, as I'm only 5'7" on (rare) great day, I needed my father in law to help place my Thule XL on top of my rack (BMW version). It's not heavy, just very bulky. But once you place it on the rack, it's easy to adjust the grip, but then you have to do it per side .
I do believe that, if you have a wide ladder/step platform that's tall enough, you could accomplish the install by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #47
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! I'm 5'9". I have a nice stable ladder though. Don't have my roof box yet - thinking about Thule XL as well on BMW cross bars.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #48
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
It's not the weight, it's the size, definitely a two-person job.

Much easier if you have running boards, suggest everyone get a pair of those.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #49
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:

I thought running boards were not an option for M50i?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #50
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I prefer it to be a two person job, but I wind up doing it by myself maybe half the time.

My technique is to stand up the box vertically and balance it on its back end, grasp the sides near the middle, and lift it up so the box is horizontal above my head. I then lower the box so some of the weight is taken by my head.while still supporting most of the weight with my arms. I then move in next to the car and move one side of the box onto the cross bars before sliding it into position.

It’s not ideal, but if there’s no one around to help and I’m short on time, it’s not a big deal to just put it on myself.

Same technique works to take it off if I’m doing it by myself.

Last edited by LowerEast; 07-03-2022 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Eugr72.50
      07-04-2022, 02:37 AM   #51
asianrage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Running board is not the obvious solution as it is placed at a "lower" position relative to the side sill is that you'd place your feet on.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 02:39 AM   #52
asianrage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
I prefer it to be a two person job, but I wind up doing it by myself maybe half the time.

My technique is to stand up the box vertically and balance it on its back end, grasp the sides near the middle, and lift it up so the box is horizontal above my head. I then lower the box so some of the weight is taken by my head.while still supporting most of the weight with my arms. I then move in next to the car and move one side of the box onto the cross bars before sliding it into position.

It’s not ideal, but if there’s no one around to help and I’m short on time, it’s not a big deal to just put it on myself.

I'm too short for this technique
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #53
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Quote:

This is my method as well. Very ugly but it works.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #54
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrage View Post
Running board is not the obvious solution as it is placed at a "lower" position relative to the side sill is that you'd place your feet on.
Running Board sits 4" lower than the side sill.

Running Board juts out 7" longer than the side sill.

The 4" lower is what allows a child younger than age 14 to get in/out of the vehicle easier and safer by taking two smaller steps in either direction instead of one large one.

The 7" wider is what allows an adult to stand with his torso away from the vehicle, instead of inside the vehicle, making getting up to skis or bags on the roof far easier.

For an adult, one foot on the sill, one foot on the running board is how it's done. Trying to stand on the sill with two feet forces you to contort your upper body away from the car, it is very awkward and very unsafe for skis or cargo.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #55
asianrage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Running Board juts out 7" longer than the side sill.

The 4" lower is what allows a child younger than age 14 to get in/out of the vehicle easier and safer by taking two smaller steps in either direction instead of one large one.

The 7" wider is what allows an adult to stand with his torso away from the vehicle, instead of inside the vehicle, making getting up to skis or bags on the roof far easier.

For an adult, one foot on the sill, one foot on the running board is how it's done. Trying to stand on the sill with two feet forces you to contort your upper body away from the car, it is very awkward and very unsafe for skis or cargo.
While loading our family luggages, I had similar thoughts, but the one thing I realized was that, if I had spent money on retrofitting the runningboard, I would have been super pissed to end up standing at a lower position. One hand grabbing the roof rail and holding myself steady while the other hand repositioning the luggage, not the best, but still better than spending 1500 bucks before install. But for ingress/egress, it's useful.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1310.50
      07-05-2022, 02:52 PM   #56
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone has BMW 520 liter roof box? Is it worse/better/the same compared to Thule Motion XT XL?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #57
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can a dealer retrofit it to X7 M50i?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #58
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can a dealer retrofit it to X7 M50i?
I recall years ago that was a problem, something about the M-Sport bodykit being incompatible. Call your parts department for the definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:08 PM   #59
phellar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phellar View Post
I definitely meant for the stroller to go in the back.. would be a pain to get it on to the roof even if it fits 😀.. Thank you for the info… very helpful..
Happy to help, we have the captain's chairs and when we travel all 6 seats are occupied with family members so having the right sized stroller and a strong duffel bag game is very important.

We have 6 identical duffels each in different colors, we fill them 80%, and they all fit up top. The stroller and heavier items like, say, a cooler, fit in the area behind the 3rd row. There is also a nice bit of space under the floor of that rear deck, you can fit diaper bags or several smaller and heavier items in there.

Once you get the hang of it, it's quite a large amount of stuff, you can haul a week's worth of clothing and essentials for a traveling family of 6. But the right sized cargo box is the key to it all, and the right sized duffels that fit perfectly in it.
Would you mind sensing the duffels you are using?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #60
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phellar View Post
Would you mind sensing the duffels you are using?

Ours are Nike's, but you can get any brand, suggest you get 6 of the same style but in different colors so you can load manage appropriately and also easily tell them apart when you arrive at your destination.

Size is 30" long by 12" tall, but there is a little wiggle room, things do squish down when you close the box lid. Fill them 80% so there is room for the lid to close without obstruction, especially the ones you put towards the front nose of the box which tends to slope downwards for aerodynamics.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #61
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I didn't get either, I ended up getting the Vector M
How did it turn out? Can you put up a few pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #62
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
How did it turn out? Can you put up a few pics?
Its sitting on the floor right now lol. I am going away next week and will be using it. I just put the bars on the roof yesterday, went with Yakima flushbars since the low profile bars were impossible to get and these had way better ratings for being quiet vs the Thule ones.

I will take pics when I put it on all packed up. I will say I had the XXL one which came in broken so I returned it, that was when I bought the Vector. the XXL was obviously bigger, but the Vector construction felt way more solid.
      07-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #63
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Its sitting on the floor right now lol. I am going away next week and will be using it. I just put the bars on the roof yesterday, went with Yakima flushbars since the low profile bars were impossible to get and these had way better ratings for being quiet vs the Thule ones.

I will take pics when I put it on all packed up. I will say I had the XXL one which came in broken so I returned it, that was when I bought the Vector. the XXL was obviously bigger, but the Vector construction felt way more solid.

Cool!

I'm actually more interested in the crossbars, wondering how the Flush Bars compare with the Yakima Rail Bars which seem to be discontinued.

When your box is on your roof, could I trouble you to take a photo of the distance between the bottom of the crossbar and the moonroof? I'm trying to figure out how much lower they are than the stock BMW's which are 4 1/8" above the roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #64
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cool!

I'm actually more interested in the crossbars, wondering how the Flush Bars compare with the Yakima Rail Bars which seem to be discontinued.

When your box is on your roof, could I trouble you to take a photo of the distance between the bottom of the crossbar and the moonroof? I'm trying to figure out how much lower they are than the stock BMW's which are 4 1/8" above the roof.
I will take more pics, this one I took when I installed the bars, but its over a half inch lower then the OEM bars.
Attached Images

08-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #65
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Here are a few more pics with the Vector on. I like it in terms of construction a lot. I test drove with it and its really quiet. I wish it was a bit taller, I want a slightly larger version with the vector build quality. That is where the Motion wins.
Attached Images

08-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #66
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here are a few more pics with the Vector on. I like it in terms of construction a lot. I test drove with it and its really quiet. I wish it was a bit taller, I want a slightly larger version with the vector build quality. That is where the Motion wins.
Thanks for the photos and the measuring.

So the Vector is a slim-profile style cargo box then?
Appreciate 0