BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Can someone please test your seats for me

08-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

Can someone please test your seats for me

Does your driver seat goes back to position after you use the button to lower/raise your rear seats either to allow 3rd roll passenger in or do max luggage/passenger?

My driver side leans forward to put the 2nd row in position but when all said and done, it doesn't go back all the way. Additionally, once I squeeze myself into the car and start the engine I have to press my memory seat button in order for the seats to go back to position.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
I deal with this on a weekly basis when dropping off/picking up the kids. I'm pretty sure I've found that if I do ANYTHING (open/close a door, take off/put on a seat belt, etc.) on that side of the car, it interrupts the process and the front seat does not go back to position automatically.

They are old enough to get in/our of the car on their own and I'm a relatively small guy, so my typical process is to press the button on the driver's door to prep the back for them, let myself get a bit uncomfortable, then have them get in the back. I should add that I have captains chairs, so once the seat is prepped, they are just manually pulling the release on the back of their chair to tilt the back forward. As long as they don't close the door or put on their seat belt before the seats stop moving, I'm typically released from my cramped position automatically.
Osheatwo206.50
      08-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

I don't have captain chairs but here's an example.

Without anyone monkeying around with the seats or the belts, from the trunk, if I press max cargo, (or any other seat adjustments) driver and passenger seats move forward, rear seats would do its thing, front passenger seat would move back to the "last" position, driver seats would move back just a little but not last position. Squeeze in the driver seats and turn on the car, technically at this point the seats should move back to the position that matchs the driver profile.

BMW just told me that this is normal, question is, why does the passenger seat goes to position but not the driver? Did somebody F up on the programming?

FWIW: My seat frame was recently replace because of this, previously it would just move back a little, since they try to fix it, it moved back maybe 2 additional inches.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
Does your driver seat goes back to position after you use the button to lower/raise your rear seats either to allow 3rd roll passenger in or do max luggage/passenger?
Yes, all the time.

Have you set up two profiles and synced one to each key fob?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Only one key is ever used for this car and yes the key is synced to driver 1 driver 2 is not setup, my wife has never driven the car without me in it so there was never a need.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

Without anyone monkeying around with the seats or the belts, from the trunk, if I press max cargo, (or any other seat adjustments) driver and passenger seats move forward, rear seats would do its thing, front passenger seat would move back to the "last" position, driver seats would move back just a little but not last position. Squeeze in the driver seats and turn on the car, technically at this point the seats should move back to the position that matchs the driver profile.
Ah, max cargo with captains' chairs doesn't need to move the front seats since the second row doesn't fold flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Ah, max cargo with captains' chairs doesn't need to move the front seats since the second row doesn't fold flat.
Boy and I glad I didn't get captain chairs! I know it looks cool but "pay more for less"
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have noticed the same. Driver Seat in the front does not move back automatically. Also 2nd row does not move automatically to original position either. Although the second row bench does move, it stays in a forward position with least amount of leg room , then you need to manually move the seat back to get more leg room.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
I have noticed the same. Driver Seat in the front does not move back automatically. Also 2nd row does not move automatically to original position either. Although the second row bench does move, it stays in a forward position with least amount of leg room , then you need to manually move the seat back to get more leg room.
This makes no sense, assume your passenger does move back though? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think this is a software issue
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
I believe the 2nd row is designed this way to give additional legroom to the 3rd row passengers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Same here. 2020 X7 on iStep version 03/2020.31.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #12
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I had this issue with the bench seat and solved it with a work around
I'll double back but if I recall it's to do with profile or seat a memory.

I'll check and confirm
      08-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #13
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

For all this is worth: When I move the third row seats with the button in the trunk, the drivers seat will move all the way up and then just stay there. But the worse part is that the memory button for the drivers seat will not work. I am told to select driver profile. When I do, it says my profile is already active. I then move the seat back so I can fit and just readjust the seat. Start to drive off and after a few minutes re-select the driver profile and things go back to normal.

I assume it's a shitty glitch.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
For all this is worth: When I move the third row seats with the button in the trunk, the drivers seat will move all the way up and then just stay there. But the worse part is that the memory button for the drivers seat will not work. I am told to select driver profile. When I do, it says my profile is already active. I then move the seat back so I can fit and just readjust the seat. Start to drive off and after a few minutes re-select the driver profile and things go back to normal.

Your sympton is a little worse than mine, at least mine does attempt to go back a little and my memory seat button still works.

If the passenger seat doesn't move back to position and the driver does, I'd probably be less aggrevated.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Boy and I glad I didn't get captain chairs! I know it looks cool but "pay more for less"
It’s not that it looks cool, it is far more comfortable for second row passengers. My youngest is nine years old and we don’t need a car seat. We are a family of 6 and don’t need a 7th seat. If we wanted a cargo hauling SUV we would just go buy one; we wouldn’t try to convert a $90,000 luxury car into a U-Haul.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Same here. I usually just hit he mem 1 button to get it back to 100% for driver. Always seems like the seat recline angle is the one not reverting back to previous position. Maybe a future software upgrade will fix it.

We have three kids 4,8,&11 and most of the time our 3rd row is down. When we need the extra seat we more often than not just fold the middle seat back flat and let the kids climb back in keeping the car in this 6 seat config.

I really find the whole seat movement thing annoying. Most of the time we do fold the middle seat the front seat back is nowhere near the middle row but the front seat always moves up. It's overly cautious.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #17
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
For all this is worth: When I move the third row seats with the button in the trunk, the drivers seat will move all the way up and then just stay there. But the worse part is that the memory button for the drivers seat will not work.
So i'm not alone , in my case it behaves like that with 2nd row but at least the memory buttons work for me.

I'm wondering, does it work for anybody as it should? (at least according to common sense)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #18
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I just found this out with the second row. Kids are demoted to the 3rd row and most of the time no body will be in the second row (captain), so I want the second row all the way forward, but when having the seat do its thing to let them in the 3rd row the 2nd row will go to the default spacing, so have to move the second row seat forward again each time, very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I just checked and confirmed

When using the buttons in the second row. To default move or flat.

The driver seat does go back to its saved settings.

Now when doing anything from the trunk. It didn't, but pressing the memory button brings it back.

Worth mentioning that my 3rd is always flat and not used.

Issue was existing at all times before software update to 07.2020.30

I'm assuming it's a glitch they are addressing in the software
      09-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #20
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

My driver side leans forward to put the 2nd row in position but when all said and done, it doesn't go back all the way. Additionally, once I squeeze myself into the car and start the engine I have to press my memory seat button in order for the seats to go back to position.
I noticed similar thing but more a random, I think as long as no one does anything until the sequester finishes then all is good. I agree this is annoying
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I know this thread is a few months old but has this issue been resolved on iStep version 11/2020.xx? I'm on 07/2020.54 and this is still an issue.

Every time I fold down the 2nd row seat backs the drivers seat never returns to the position it was in before I folded down or moved the second row seats for 3rd row access.

I'm guessing this is another low priority issue for BMW since it still exists after multiple iStep updates. Come on BMW! Get it together.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #22
Stunz G.
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Garage List
Quote:

BMW just told me that this is normal, question is, why does the passenger seat goes to position but not the driver? Did somebody F up on the programming?

FWIW: My seat frame was recently replace because of this, previously it would just move back a little, since they try to fix it, it moved back maybe 2 additional inches.
Hey cheapie, what do you mean your seat frame was replaced. Did the dealer change the railings and did that give you more front legroom than original dimensions?
Appreciate 0