BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Sport mode difference

08-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Sport mode difference

Had a debate about this with my passenger and wanted to inquire if anyone definitely knows what difference is to car performance and response is, if any, to hitting the sport button on control panel vs moving shift control knob left to sport. Manual gear change being equal
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Hitting the Sport button lowers the car and tightens the suspension. Moving the shift position in the gate only augments shift change points.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Hitting the Sport button lowers the car and tightens the suspension. Moving the shift position in the gate only augments shift change points.
There's a bit more to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
Had a debate about this with my passenger and wanted to inquire if anyone definitely knows what difference is to car performance and response is, if any, to hitting the sport button on control panel vs moving shift control knob left to sport. Manual gear change being equal
Pressing SPORT Driving Dynamics Control on the console changes the following driving dynamic settings from COMFORT to SPORT:

Damping
SPORT, lowers the air suspension to SPORT level and electronic damping control to sport

Steering
SPORT, heavier steering

Engine
SPORT, throttle response

Transmission
SPORT, hold gears longer in conjunction with engine

The following systems are also adjusted:
- Integral Active Steering
- Display in instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure the above settings via iDrive under Configure SPORT INDIVIDUAL:

CAR > Settings > Driving Mode > SPORT INDIVIDUAL > configure your personal settings

Moving the Steptronic selector lever to the left, Sport Program M/S, from D, activates Sport Program of the transmission and displays engaged gear in the instrument cluster - eg S1, S2, etc.

In Steptronic Sport Program M/S, pushing or pulling the selector lever switches the transmission to manual mode and the engaged gear is displayed in the instrument cluster - eg M1, M2, etc

- If you're in SPORT driving mode, the Steptronic transmission does not automatically upshift in M/S manual mode once max speed is reached
- There is no downshifting for kickdown

There's also info on Shift Paddles.

Recommend downloading the BMW Driver's Guide mobile app for your X7 and quick reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by Auricom; 08-09-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 3
bmr760139.00
MomoM3984.00
      08-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
There's a bit more to it

Pressing SPORT Driving Dynamics Control on the console changes the following driving dynamic settings from COMFORT to SPORT:

Damping
SPORT, lowers the air suspension to SPORT level and electronic damping control to sport

Steering
SPORT, heavier steering

Engine
SPORT, throttle response

Transmission
SPORT, hold gears longer in conjunction with engine

The following systems are also adjusted:
- Integral Active Steering
- Display in instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure the above settings via iDrive under Configure SPORT INDIVIDUAL:

CAR > Settings > Driving Mode > SPORT INDIVIDUAL > configure your personal settings

Moving the Steptronic selector lever to the left, Sport Program M/S, from D, activates Sport Program of the transmission and displays engaged gear in the instrument cluster - eg S1, S2, etc.

In Steptronic Sport Program M/S, pushing or pulling the selector lever switches the transmission to manual mode and the engaged gear is displayed in the instrument cluster - eg M1, M2, etc

- If you're in SPORT driving mode, the Steptronic transmission does not automatically upshift in M/S manual mode once max speed is reached
- There is no downshifting for kickdown

There's also info on Shift Paddles.

Recommend downloading the BMW Driver's Guide mobile app for your X7 and quick reference.
I would love to just use Sport Individual mode but every time I go to that mode it puts the car at the middle ride height and I have to adjust it down to sport level manually. Super annoying. I don't think there is any way to change this...?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
I would love to just use Sport Individual mode but every time I go to that mode it puts the car at the middle ride height and I have to adjust it down to sport level manually. Super annoying. I don't think there is any way to change this...?
Sport Individual has customizable settings so you should be able to make various changes to the settings.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0