BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ceramic Coating or PPF or Both?

07-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #45
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
That's super shinny which level Modesta is that?
BC-08
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #46
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysColdinMN View Post
Anybody have experience with Xpel's ceramic coating ... Fusion Plus? I take delivery on my 2021 X7 ~mid August (estimated completion 8/8) and will then get the Xpel PPF and a ceramic coating. Modesta and Ceramic Pro seem like commonly used, high quality options but I don't hear much about Fusion Plus. Maybe because it is relatively new. Or maybe because it's no good. Anyone here tried it out?
I had my G05 ceramic coated with XPEL Fusion Plus back in January and my previous F15 was coated with GTECHNIQ Crystal Cerum Ultra.

Overall impression is it looks fantastic and has remained hydrophobic since application. Makes washing and cleaning the multi-spoke 740M wheel, easy.

It's protected the factory paint from bird poop and dirt - not immune to rock chips but overall I'm very satisfied. What's important is the quality of the paint correction that's performed before application - the shop performed a 2-stage pain correction as part the coating. I also had the windows and wheels taken off, cleaned and coated in addition to the M Sport brakes. I wouldn't hesitate to recommenced XPEL Fusion Plus.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      07-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #47
AlwaysColdinMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Anybody have experience with Xpel's ceramic coating ... Fusion Plus? I take delivery on my 2021 X7 ~mid August (estimated completion 8/8) and will then get the Xpel PPF and a ceramic coating. Modesta and Ceramic Pro seem like commonly used, high quality options but I don't hear much about Fusion Plus. Maybe because it is relatively new. Or maybe because it's no good. Anyone here tried it out?
I had my G05 ceramic coated with XPEL Fusion Plus back in January and my previous F15 was coated with GTECHNIQ Crystal Cerum Ultra.

Overall impression is it looks fantastic and has remained hydrophobic since application. Makes washing and cleaning the multi-spoke 740M wheel, easy.

It's protected the factory paint from bird poop and dirt - not immune to rock chips but overall I'm very satisfied. What's important is the quality of the paint correction that's performed before application - the shop performed a 2-stage pain correction as part the coating. I also had the windows and wheels taken off, cleaned and coated in addition to the M Sport brakes. I would hesitate to recommenced XPEL Fusion Plus.
Looks beautiful. Thanks for the reply. But in the last sentence do you mean you would *not* hesitate? Or do you really mean you would hesitate? I'm doing full front PPF and then full ceramic outside including wheels and calipers.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #48
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Looks beautiful. Thanks for the reply. But in the last sentence do you mean you would *not* hesitate? Or do you really mean you would hesitate? I'm doing full front PPF and then full ceramic outside including wheels and calipers.
Ah sorry, need more coffee and meant I would NOT hesitate to recommend!

Since I lease all of my BMWs I didn't feel the need to spend more for GTECHNIQ this time around but also wanting to support a USA military Veterans owned and operated shop. (I'm retired Army Vet)

Nice nice I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      07-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #49
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
100% agree. I made a big deal telling the dealership to NOT take off the protective film from the factory (and don't wash since that may damage the paint and create more work for the prep process), since I'd be driving it directly to the PPF/ceramic coating installer. Someone couldn't follow directions and did it anyway - dealership was apologetic and ended up flat bedding the X7 directly there. If you're going to this, sooner the better before you experience any front end damage.
You brought up something there I wanted to double check....should you drive the vehicle for hours with all the covers/protective white film on the body or will there be heat issues or other concerns? Example below:
I would remove it before the drive
It's not Intended to be long driven with that on.
I know it's scary as hell, but keeping it might make it harder to remove Vs a simple buff if it's removed.
My 2 cents.
Just the one on the hood, not the others you mean... correct?
Exactly
      08-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #50
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

X7 With Clear Bra and Ceramic Pro

Getting my X7 out of detailing shop with Clear Bra and Ceramic Pro 9h Gold.Will add more pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #51
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Beemer View Post
Getting my X7 out of detailing shop with Clear Bra and Ceramic Pro 9h Gold.Will add more pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Beemer View Post
Looks amazing. I just got mine done too with ceramic pro gold package. I just got it back yesterday but haven't had a chance to post any pics yet.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #52
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

More Pics after PPF and Ceramic Gold

Pic Heavy
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3682.50
djbonsu113.00
      08-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #53
AlwaysColdinMN
Rep

Swee! Looks awesome. What did you do for tint up front?
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #54
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

Done according to IL state law only 30%
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #55
HTX-x7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
BC-08
Hey BMW-TX it’s great to see another Houstonian in here! I’m about to get ceramic and ppf and would appreciate any intel on who did your X7 and the package/price... looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #56
bhootnath
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla MS, BMW 530i, MB GLS450

Do you mind sharing details of your shop?
I am also in Thousand Oaks, CA ... planning to get it done next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
We just had xpel put on front, headlights, full hood, side mirrors, rocker panels between the wheels. We leased too for 3 years. I've had 2 X5s and after a year the painted front bumper had so many little chips, definitely lost some of its wowness. The rocker panels are a must as the tires will throw stuff up just in normal driving and eventually you can see it. Xpel has a 10 year warranty. We paid $1,050 to have this all done. Xpel means never have to wax, but it's porous like paint so you don't get the water and dirt repelling properties of a ceramic coating. It's expensive and since it's a lease wasn't worth it to me. I can always wash it and wax (except the xpel parts) and make it look new. Ceramic does very little to prevent rock chips. My guy is in Thousand Oaks, California.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:01 AM   #57
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Do any of these items (ceramic, PPF) protect against limescale/calcium deposits that you sometimes get in underground parking garages? They are really hard to get out normally, sometimes damaging the paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #58
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Picture of what I'm talking about in my prior post. Detailers will use vinegar to remove it, which also then requires they rewax. So two questions

1) would ceramic make this easy to wash off without needing to use vinegar

2) if you use vinegar to clean this, would you need to reapply ceramic to that area?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 11:37 PM   #59
Norcalx7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Since ppf is a plastic protection film, will it ever discolor in future? Can some persons who have installed comment. I am onboard on doing ceramic coating as I really like the shine, but is confused with the ppf. Also is there any extra maintenance effort after installing ppf?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:49 AM   #60
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalx7 View Post
Since ppf is a plastic protection film, will it ever discolor in future? Can some persons who have installed comment. I am onboard on doing ceramic coating as I really like the shine, but is confused with the ppf. Also is there any extra maintenance effort after installing ppf?
If you do PPF and ceramic coating both, the ceramic goes over the PPF and will help protect the PPF from discoloring over time. Quality PPFs should last quite a long time with no issues. (I.e., longer than most people will ever own the vehicle). Xpel offers ten year warranties for a reason. I personally have Xpel full front PPFs on both my F90 and G07 with Ceramic Pro 9H and highly recommend the combo.

The extra maintenance of having PPF really just boils down to no real aggressive buffing and being careful with high pressure water hoses.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:43 AM   #61
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Jaker's absolutely right. PPF technology has also come a long way from its first inception, where it would yellow over time. Not so nowadays.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #62
Norcalx7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
If you do PPF and ceramic coating both, the ceramic goes over the PPF and will help protect the PPF from discoloring over time. Quality PPFs should last quite a long time with no issues. (I.e., longer than most people will ever own the vehicle). Xpel offers ten year warranties for a reason. I personally have Xpel full front PPFs on both my F90 and G07 with Ceramic Pro 9H and highly recommend the combo.

The extra maintenance of having PPF really just boils down to no real aggressive buffing and being careful with high pressure water hoses.
Thanks . I have a quote for Xpel and ceramic pro combo, but wanted to check on this before going with my decision
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:39 PM   #63
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalx7 View Post
Thanks . I have a quote for Xpel and ceramic pro combo, but wanted to check on this before going with my decision
That's what I got, fresh from the factory
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:48 PM   #64
Norcalx7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
That's what I got, fresh from the factory
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #65
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Undoubtedly, ppf is superior for paint protection, but it costs much more. I think I could count the chips in the last 90,000 miles on one hand. Honestly, I don't recall them being severe enough to cause me any fret and I'm the most OCD person I know (like I use 6 or more different towels just during the wet wash. My cars are white so YMMV.

The OP could spend $1600 for protection on part of the car, but he's walking away from the car in 36 months. imho, the ceramic would truely give him benfits he can see and experience every day (generally cleaner looking car, easier to clean, and looks waxed after a simple wash). I also took notice that the front end doesnt have as much paint to cover as you'd think. Its all grill and trim. Do they cover all this trim with film? This front is a bug magnet and I think I'm going ceramic to control bugs (and grime) on all this trim.

Part of me wants to get film, but I have trouble with how much it costs and how much of the front isn't protected. Enjoy the ride!
Wow! This looks so good in Alpine white(correct color?) and it’s the exact color combo I just ordered today. However, I went with the 21” orbit grey wheels which won’t look as good as the 22’s. Since I am buying it out right, I am having the whole front and hood done in Expel as we have a lot of bugs here in the South.
Do you mind posting a side view of your X7
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #66
Splatt115
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

You'll likely spend more on PPF than they will charge you for rock chips at the end of lease. Usually that is considered normal wear and tear and I have never been charged for them. The ceramic coat is cheaper and has the benefit of keeping the car looking clean, so there is value there. I wouldn't invest in someone else's car unless you have plans to buy it out but the ceramic coat makes sense.
Appreciate 0