exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
X7 HUD Windshield replacement

I was on the highway when a speeding UHAUL idiot blasted out a rock that cracked my windshield. Upon reporting it to Progressive, I made a mistake providing the wrong date of the event. They cornered me for that and said, I mislead the investigation, simply denied the claim and canceled my policy. I was shocked. I'm forced now to pay it cash. Does anyone here know how much it'll cost the replacement without claiming the same? It's a lease and I'm worried that I'm going be in trouble with BMW for that. Life sucks sometimes...

Last edited by exokiss; 09-01-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #2
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
I was on the highway when a speeding UHAUL truck blasted out a rock that cracked my windshield. Upon reporting it to Progressive, I made a mistake providing the wrong date of the event. The cornered me for that by saying, I mislead the investigation and simply denied and canceled my policy. I was shocked. I'm forced now to pay it cash. Does anyone here know how much it'll cost the replacement without claiming the same? It's a lease and I'm worried that I'm going be in trouble with BMW for that. Life sucks sometimes
They denied you?? For what? Because you were off on the date? I would call and argue that one. Wow. I just came back from a 3000 mile road trip and a rock cracked my windshield. I also have Progressive. I just called and opened a claim. They wanted me to use Safelite with after market glass, but i refused. I went to the dealer and had them call it in. I paid the $495 deductible, but the receipt showed $1667 for the glass plus a few hundred for installation. Total was $1913.71 plus tax. BMW had to recalibrate the cameras as well.
I have HUD and all the Drivers Assistance Packages as well.

Hope this helps.
Sorry this happened.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00
      07-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

the joy of living in California... We also picked up a rock on the windshield on our 2020 M50i (HUD and driving assistance) and the quoted cost for replacement from the dealer was $3100, but since we have a good relationship with the dealer, they're discounting to ~$2500.

$1900 seems like a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
aptekcom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSouthern View Post
the joy of living in California... We also picked up a rock on the windshield on our 2020 M50i (HUD and driving assistance) and the quoted cost for replacement from the dealer was $3100, but since we have a good relationship with the dealer, they're discounting to ~$2500.

$1900 seems like a bargain.
They did that because of insurance. They told me they matched the price (my guess is with Safelite). I insisted on OEM and that's what i got.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

A friend of mine went through Safelite to replace a windshield and insisted on OEM and they did it for him. It was for a Jeep Compass though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
cvp33
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘19 Z06, ‘20 X7, ‘21 Traverse

Cancelled insurance simply for misstating the date. LOL
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
A friend of mine went through Safelite to replace a windshield and insisted on OEM and they did it for him. It was for a Jeep Compass though.
Besides giving them the wrong date, I insisted an OEM and got investigated for that too. They asked me why I'm asking particularly for OEM. In the meantime a friend of mind told me there's no aftermarket windshield for this particular model...yet. So, I'm like, "Did I just shot myself in the leg by asking them for OEM?" The strangest thing was that during that same period my phone battery was hot like never before. Someone familiar told me that insurance companies have that practice to tap customer's cells in order to reduce their fraud-related cases rate. However, today I got a call from them saying that they'll do me a favor and replace the windshield after I pay my $1k deductible and banned for life. I felt extorted. This the quote, I got from the local body shop https://photos.app.goo.gl/2sSxV9oSfrPb98cW9

Last edited by exokiss; 08-27-2020 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

I have a crack on my 2019 X5 and I have progressive. I said I didn't know when it happened and the guy said to just estimate it - so he didn't seem to concerned about the date.

BTW, before I filed I called BMW and I was quoted $1900 to replace it. I called a local shop I had used in the past and they quoted $1300 (not including calibration). Local shop said that OEM glass was the only option available. Progressive said that both non-oem and oem was available and I could have OEM but would have to pay $490 for it. (I have 0 deductible glass). I am scheduled for Safelite Thursday and I'll talk to them about it and let you all know how it goes - the glass is likely from the same manufacturer.

Frankly, I'm more worried about them screwing up the calibration than the windshield given how finicky the KAS system is but.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
aptekcom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
I have a crack on my 2019 X5 and I have progressive. I said I didn't know when it happened and the guy said to just estimate it - so he didn't seem to concerned about the date.

BTW, before I filed I called BMW and I was quoted $1900 to replace it. I called a local shop I had used in the past and they quoted $1300 (not including calibration). Local shop said that OEM glass was the only option available. Progressive said that both non-oem and oem was available and I could have OEM but would have to pay $490 for it. (I have 0 deductible glass). I am scheduled for Safelite Thursday and I'll talk to them about it and let you all know how it goes - the glass is likely from the same manufacturer.

Frankly, I'm more worried about them screwing up the calibration than the windshield given how finicky the KAS system is but.
I paid only my deductible of $495 and had it done in cooperation with the dealership. They used OEM glass. I had the glass company deal direct with Progressive. It was much easier. They told me that I had to request OEM and then it would be approved. When I tried to call on my own, they were highly discouraging the OEM route. See if the glass company can handle the insurance for you. If you were in Houston, I could give you my installer's contact info.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
I was on the highway when a speeding UHAUL truck blasted out a rock that cracked my windshield. Upon reporting it to Progressive, I made a mistake providing the wrong date of the event. The cornered me for that by saying, I mislead the investigation and simply denied and canceled my policy. I was shocked. I'm forced now to pay it cash. Does anyone here know how much it'll cost the replacement without claiming the same? It's a lease and I'm worried that I'm going be in trouble with BMW for that. Life sucks sometimes
I would fight the Insurance company personally. Typical insurance companies trying to get out of paying claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Absolutely OEM only.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

I ended up going to Safelite to have it replaced and calibrated. Got OEM glass.

Just check your windshield wipers when you get the car back...the installer forgot to put the nuts back on!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
My final days with the retarded Progressive,

Overall, it was such a waste of time...and what a bumpy ride with Progressive. Kaylah from Claims kept repeating "We're so sorry, but we're still investigating the date of the accident because you provided us with incorrect information", and in the end, the whole drama took more than a month of total nonsense.

They transferred my calls several times and flagged the case as "fraudulent" due to a lack of supportive information. One of them(Eric) even said that my scenario involved shady information - imagine that, on a recorded line. On top of that the retards from Investigation Dept. painted me as a person who intended to defraud the premium. No matter how hard I've tried to explain they didn't want to listen. In the end, I got the windshield replaced with a BMW OEM and they paid for it. Lesson learned - don't trust those crooks.

Last edited by exokiss; 03-01-2021 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #14
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Is there a significant difference between OEM and aftermarket windshields assuming both are acoustic and are designed to work with HUD?

Another question: do you hear any wind noise at higher speeds (let's say 70+ mph)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #15
Missourian
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Back in the first half of 2021, Car And Driver magazine wrote about their long-term review of the 2020 X7:

"After confirming that there are no aftermarket windshields or even a shop outside of a BMW dealership that is authorized to replace one, we begrudgingly forked over the $2,808 to replace our fractured windshield."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/

It's good to see prices have come down since then.

Last edited by Missourian; 07-11-2023 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:42 AM   #16
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Have cracked and replaced windshields on almost all my vehicles. Insurance has been mostly USAA, with 1-2 claims with State Farm as well. Have always used safelite with no issues...may have to replace the one in my X7 soon. A chip we had fixed a few months ago doesn't look like it will hold up much longer.
So good to know there's only OEM glass available for now.

So, stay away from State Farm as well. They have a specific $0 deductible glass claim which is why I went with them 2 years ago. Well, they log everytime you have a glass claim regardless of a chip repair or full replacement...and then they increase your risk profile the more claims you have...even for chips. They told me I was at risk of being dropped due to the 2 glass claims I had with them.

Ended up dropping them anyway and went back to USAA. On top of the glass claim issues, I was with State Farm for 2 years and the only time I heard from my "agent" was when he wanted to talk to me about my financial outlook and other products.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #17
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Have cracked and replaced windshields on almost all my vehicles. Insurance has been mostly USAA, with 1-2 claims with State Farm as well. Have always used safelite with no issues...may have to replace the one in my X7 soon. A chip we had fixed a few months ago doesn't look like it will hold up much longer.
So good to know there's only OEM glass available for now.

So, stay away from State Farm as well. They have a specific $0 deductible glass claim which is why I went with them 2 years ago. Well, they log everytime you have a glass claim regardless of a chip repair or full replacement...and then they increase your risk profile the more claims you have...even for chips. They told me I was at risk of being dropped due to the 2 glass claims I had with them.

Ended up dropping them anyway and went back to USAA. On top of the glass claim issues, I was with State Farm for 2 years and the only time I heard from my "agent" was when he wanted to talk to me about my financial outlook and other products.
That article is over 2 years ago so I guarantee there is aftermarket glass avail now. I'm also with USAA and just had a chip repair. Sucks they don't have add'l glass coverage and you have to pay your comp deductible. I had to replace my car's windshield when I was w/ Progressive last year and they had separate glass coverage. But yeah agreed on the increased risk with several glass claims. So many people think it won't affect your insurance however that just depends on the company. But regardless even with USAA, if you start to shop around, the new company will still see even the chip repairs. Heck at this point, I may even pay chip repairs out of pocket. The one last week thru Safelite charged USAA only $82.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #18
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

There is definitely aftermarket windshields available today. My new-to-me 2021 X7 has an aftermarket PGW windshield installed. I didn't notice it at the time of purchase, but figured it out recently when a glass chip had to be repaired. Now I'm wondering if the PGW windshield is comparable to OEM in terms of features and quality. I notice wind noise when cruising at 70+ mph and am wondering if OEM windshield has better acoustic insulation. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 11:37 AM   #19
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
My X7 glass was just replaced for 2nd time last month, USAA through Safelite, insisted on Dealer Genuine BMW glass. I paid $500 deductible and the insurance paid Safelite just under $700, total was cheaper than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #20
smp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Audi S3

I had mine replaced through Safelite and they put in an aftermarket windshield. The heads-up display was distorted and tilted. There was also a defect in the glass. I made them replace it again with OEM glass and the heads-up display was perfect. I recommend insisting on an OEM windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
Is there a significant difference between OEM and aftermarket windshields assuming both are acoustic and are designed to work with HUD?

Another question: do you hear any wind noise at higher speeds (let's say 70+ mph)?

Thanks!
Always go OEM whenever you can. It ensure proper fit/finish and same quality as factory new.

Some insurance will have the option to add coverage to use OEM parts for any repairs. And there's also the option to waive deductible for glass claims. I have both add on's on my policy, only adds a small amount to the premium yearly.
Appreciate 1
LeKayz85.50
      07-12-2023, 08:00 AM   #22
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

These expensive windshields are the result of the inclusion of ADAS (advanced driver assistance system) technology and the cost of recalibration as part of the replacement process. Insurance companies have embraced this technology, believing fewer accidents and fatalities result. So they need to pay up when glass breaks. I had my G550 glass replaced 2 months ago -- $3400 for OEM. By comparison, if my '95 Wrangler's glass breaks, I can buy a new windshield for less than $100 and install it myself.
Appreciate 0