BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Warning message when car starts.

06-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 bmw 750 li , 2019 bmw x7 4o

Warning message when car starts.

Hey everyone. I use auto start stop all the time since I've had the car. It's a little over 20k miles and started getting this message anytime it starts now. I made an appointment but was wondering if anyone else got this issue. It also put a message in the dash saying engine cannot start even thou it always restarts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olekiller View Post
Hey everyone. I use auto start stop all the time since I've had the car. It's a little over 20k miles and started getting this message anytime it starts now. I made an appointment but was wondering if anyone else got this issue. It also put a message in the dash saying engine cannot start even thou it always restarts
I have a feeling it's the auxiliary battery giving up.

Just a hunch
      07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

Car is still in the shop since 7/2. I called today and was told it's being worked on. It's Brooklyn BMW so I expect a slow process. But in addition to the start issue they have to fix the sky lounge led roof. The driver side arm rest no longer heats up and some of the ambient lights no longer work. So since purchasing this SUV in August last year. I've had the active grills fail, the air suspension fail, the starting system, the heated arm rest, and the led / ambient lights. I feel bad for the sucker who buys this after the warranty is gone lol. Still love the heck out of it though
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Car is still in the shop since 7/2. I called today and was told it's being worked on. It's Brooklyn BMW so I expect a slow process. But in addition to the start issue they have to fix the sky lounge led roof. The driver side arm rest no longer heats up and some of the ambient lights no longer work. So since purchasing this SUV in August last year. I've had the active grills fail, the air suspension fail, the starting system, the heated arm rest, and the led / ambient lights. I feel bad for the sucker who buys this after the warranty is gone lol. Still love the heck out of it though
I think you qualify for the Lemon Law or BMW's buy back program. https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/lemon-law. If your car has been in the shop for a cumulative period of 30 days or more you qualify for the lemon law.

You shouldn't be having all of these problems this soon. BMW should buy back your X7 for what you paid for it and get you in a new vehicle of equal or greater value. They've done this before but you have to push them into it. Possibly with the threat of pursuing the Lemon Law.

I love my X7 too. However, I wouldn't put up with all the problems you've just described.
Appreciate 2
MomoM3981.00
Heimdall136.50
      07-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I think you qualify for the Lemon Law or BMW's buy back program. https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/lemon-law. If your car has been in the shop for a cumulative period of 30 days or more you qualify for the lemon law.

You shouldn't be having all of these problems this soon. BMW should buy back your X7 for what you paid for it and get you in a new vehicle of equal or greater value. They've done this before but you have to push them into it. Possibly with the threat of pursuing the Lemon Law.

I love my X7 too. However, I wouldn't put up with all the problems you've just described.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I contacted BMW corporate this morning and the rep agreed that this was excessive and she escalated my case. Actually had someone call me back within and hour. And he also said it himself. They are now going to contact the dealer for the service history and then let me know my options. I hope they buy it back and don't let me have to fight them
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the advice. I contacted BMW corporate this morning and the rep agreed that this was excessive and she escalated my case. Actually had someone call me back within and hour. And he also said it himself. They are now going to contact the dealer for the service history and then let me know my options. I hope they buy it back and don't let me have to fight them
That's outstanding! I've been trying to inform people that they should be reporting these excessive issues and pushing the manufacture to replace the vehicle when it has that many problems.

Usually, in most states, the Lemon Law is your friend. Most manufactures don't want the bad publicity or the Lawyers getting involved. Therefore, if the consumer pushes hard enough they will usually take the car back to avoid the bad publicity.

Please keep me posted as I would like to see how well this is working out for BMW owner's who have gotten a lemon vehicle. You're the second person in the last month that I've recommended the Lemon Law or BMW's buy back program to. I believe the other person is in the process of having BMW take back his X5 for what he paid for it as I write this.

I've been through this myself for a different vehicle (a Ford) a long time ago. Once you get started it's pretty easy to get things moving and the end result is you get out of problematic Lemon vehicle. Let's hope BMW does the right thing and takes care of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #7
Krislovesbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i, 2019 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Any update ? Did BMW agree to buy back your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krislovesbmw View Post
So I got the car back yesterday. And you won't believe that after being gutanteed that everything works. Drove home night time came but the sky lounge and the ambient lights on the dash still not work. I called BMW corporate before I picked up the car yesterday and was told that they haven't yet made a decision. Well I'll be calling again today. Seriously pissed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I got the car back yesterday. And you won't believe that after being gutanteed that everything works. Drove home night time came but the sky lounge and the ambient lights on the dash still not work. I called BMW corporate before I picked up the car yesterday and was told that they haven't yet made a decision. Well I'll be calling again today. Seriously pissed.
Time to put your state's Lemon Law in action!
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
      07-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krislovesbmw View Post
Definitely need BMW to buy it back and get another one. the 2021 are now on order, so you might a new model.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

So the car went to a new dealer on 7/17. Went to a different one because the other one Brooklyn gave me back the car with grease on the seats and I just didn't like their customer service. Well anyway. Today is 7/21 and yesterday I called and they still didn't touch the car yet. Was told that they are packed and yada yada. 1st of why are you making appointments if you are over booked. Now I get it we in a pandemic but the car hasn't been touched in 4 days excluding Sunday. I called BMW corporate again and was told the same story that I have to wait until the dealer tell them what's going on with the car. This is pissing me off. Why do you need them to tell you what the issue is. The fact is that there is another issue. I've used my car 3 days the month. It's been in service all the other days. Do you guys think I should get a lawyer.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So the car went to a new dealer on 7/17. Went to a different one because the other one Brooklyn gave me back the car with grease on the seats and I just didn't like their customer service. Well anyway. Today is 7/21 and yesterday I called and they still didn't touch the car yet. Was told that they are packed and yada yada. 1st of why are you making appointments if you are over booked. Now I get it we in a pandemic but the car hasn't been touched in 4 days excluding Sunday. I called BMW corporate again and was told the same story that I have to wait until the dealer tell them what's going on with the car. This is pissing me off. Why do you need them to tell you what the issue is. The fact is that there is another issue. I've used my car 3 days the month. It's been in service all the other days. Do you guys think I should get a lawyer.
You might want to give Legal Shield a shot. https://www.legalshield.com/. It's less than 300 bucks per year and they will give you free advice plus a bunch of other benefits. I've used them for estate planning and some other things that require a Lawyer.

It's a cheap way for you talk to a Lawyer and find out if it's worth it to get a Lawyer or not. Plus, your membership will get you a big discount for any services they offer.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a lawyer and I've had similar bad experiences with Services just like you. Mine didn't rise to the same level, but I'm equally upset with the service centers where I bought it from.

I went in for an oil change and they said: sorry we're full. I said I made an appointment a month ago and you confirmed it yesterday. They said "sorry full" and on other times "we don't give loaners" for same day services.

It's horrible. In you're case, the question I would ask is what is your legal "damages"; ie how much have they hurt or cost you so far. How much money is it costing you?

If it's over roughly $5000, hire a lawyer and sue them. If it's under $1000, you can bang on the desk and leave bad yelp reviews but that's about it.
If it's in between, use your best judgment.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #14
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

So the car is still in the shop today as they wait for parts after the second fix they tried didn't work. Bmw corporate called me today saying once the car is repaired they would evaluate how long I've been without the car and the amount of repairs and provide compensation. I ask does compensation means a replacement. They said no that's not something they are offering. At this point I am clearly within my states lemon law. So I'll just have a lawyer deal with it from this point. Won't be talking to corporate anymore.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #15
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I just bought a new 2020 BMW X7 and your story scares me about how poorly BMW has handled this whole situation.

After owning nothing but Lexus vehicles for almost 30 years, I can assure you that you would NEVER have such poor and pathetic customer service with Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
I just bought a new 2020 BMW X7 and your story scares me about how poorly BMW has handled this whole situation.

After owning nothing but Lexus vehicles for almost 30 years, I can assure you that you would NEVER have such poor and pathetic customer service with Lexus.
Sadly there are literally hundreds of stories of problems just like this with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

I wish I was making this guy's. So Friday July 31st. The dealership called me saying that the part came in late Friday and they would install in Monday and the car would be ready to go Monday. That was told to me by an advisor filling in for my original advisor who went away for a wedding. I called today Monday 8/3 and my original advisor is back and told me that information is incorrect. That are actually waiting for replacement glass panels for the sun roof and laughed and said she didn't even know they had lights in them 🤦🏾*♂️. I just said thank you and hung up. This is an easy one for the lawyer. Car been in the shop officially over a month now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish I was making this guy's. So Friday July 31st. The dealership called me saying that the part came in late Friday and they would install in Monday and the car would be ready to go Monday. That was told to me by an advisor filling in for my original advisor who went away for a wedding. I called today Monday 8/3 and my original advisor is back and told me that information is incorrect. That are actually waiting for replacement glass panels for the sun roof and laughed and said she didn't even know they had lights in them 🤦🏾*♂️. I just said thank you and hung up. This is an easy one for the lawyer. Car been in the shop officially over a month now.
If it's been in the shop for over a month, it's clearly defective. BMW should buy the car back. How long have you had the SUV, how many miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #19
coronajaco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

yikes all of that scares me too -- I just had an issue with the windshield shattering with no indications of anything hitting it (there was a bad storm and the pressure dropped significantly). Clearly centered around the windshield senor. Had to have a dealer in WI look at it and they said no way not their fault and after they repaired and got back to me I've found so may shards of glass in the car. Was hoping this was just a bad experience with this dealer but getting nervous might be wider. First time with BMW...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronajaco View Post
yikes all of that scares me too -- I just had an issue with the windshield shattering with no indications of anything hitting it (there was a bad storm and the pressure dropped significantly). Clearly centered around the windshield senor. Had to have a dealer in WI look at it and they said no way not their fault and after they repaired and got back to me I've found so may shards of glass in the car. Was hoping this was just a bad experience with this dealer but getting nervous might be wider. First time with BMW...
BMW has its issues but so do many brands.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #21
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately I am still without the car. Was told on Monday they are replacing the glass panel in the sunroof and the part would take 10 business days to get here as it's coming from Germany. Mind you I was told something else the previous week. Anyways BMW corporate is still saying I have to wait for the repair before any compensation and a buy back is not an option they are offering. I do have a lawyer working on this now. But yea it's been over a month with my car and I still have to make payments. I still love the brand. As I also own a 14 750li. But honestly this maybe my last one. A friend of my loan me his 2020 model x long range plus for a week and I enjoyed the heck out of that, thou I've heard tesla is probably worse I am willing to give it a shot when this is all over. Wish me luck guys
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #22
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately I am still without the car. Was told on Monday they are replacing the glass panel in the sunroof and the part would take 10 business days to get here as it's coming from Germany. Mind you I was told something else the previous week. Anyways BMW corporate is still saying I have to wait for the repair before any compensation and a buy back is not an option they are offering. I do have a lawyer working on this now. But yea it's been over a month with my car and I still have to make payments. I still love the brand. As I also own a 14 750li. But honestly this maybe my last one. A friend of my loan me his 2020 model x long range plus for a week and I enjoyed the heck out of that, thou I've heard tesla is probably worse I am willing to give it a shot when this is all over. Wish me luck guys
Every brand has issues. It comes down to the individual you are working with and their work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile to help. Most aren't willing or dont make enough to care, you are just a number. Tesla is different, but still similar issues, having owned both, they are vastly different experiences, but just as frustrating when there's an issue.
Appreciate 0