BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ceramic Coating or PPF or Both?

06-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
ronmramsayii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' X3 M40i & X4 M40i

Ceramic Coating or PPF or Both?

Hey Peeps,

I'm new to the BMW world and will be ordering the X7 M50i sometime soon. It's my first time purchasing a vehicle in this class and will be doing a 36 month lease term. I've seen people getting ceramic coating or ppf, and some even getting a combination of the two.

For a leased vehicle, what would you guys recommend? Ceramic coatings are more cost effective, but don't protect against rock chips as well as ppf does. Is that something I need to concern myself with considering it's a lease?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated folks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

I've buried myself in this. On a lease and given the cost of ppf, it would give me great pause. If anything, I think I would stick to a 3 year coating for conveneince and be done with it. Something like gtechniq Crystal Serum Light or their exo. Its a rental car, so I would not go too fancy.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
ronmramsayii
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
I've buried myself in this. On a lease and given the cost of ppf, it would give me great pause. If anything, I think I would stick to a 3 year coating for conveneince and be done with it. Something like gtechniq Crystal Serum Light or their exo. Its a rental car, so I would not go too fancy.
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking as well. I live in Atlanta where there's a lot of construction going on but I can't say the rounds are terrible, at least where I do most of my driving.

I may also consider just getting the front bumper, hood and mirrors wrapped and do the rest in Ceramic. It's definitely cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm not an expert by any means on this topic but the ceramic coating and ppf are meant for two different applications. The ceramic coating will not protect your car from road debris like rock chips etc. Think of it as waxing your car on steroids. It's going to maintain the shine on your car and help keep it that way for a very long time.

The ppf will actually physically protect the paint. It may offer some of the shine benefits of ceramic coating but it's not it's intended purpose.

If I had to choose one I would choose the ppf because that will actual help preserve the paint. Ceramic coating is more of a luxury / convenience for keeping your car looking super shiny.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
ronmramsayii
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm not an expert by any means on this topic but the ceramic coating and ppf are meant for two different applications. The ceramic coating will not protect your car from road debris like rock chips etc. Think of it as waxing your car on steroids. It's going to maintain the shine on your car and help keep it that way for a very long time.

The ppf will actually physically protect the paint. It may offer some of the shine benefits of ceramic coating but it's not it's intended purpose.

If I had to choose one I would choose the ppf because that will actual help preserve the paint. Ceramic coating is more of a luxury / convenience for keeping your car looking super shiny.
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Xpel has a combo now where they can do the PPF and put "Fusion" their new ceramic product on top of it. The PPF would still somehow maintain its healing properties.

If I did the PPF I'm looking at $1600 for front, mirrors and fender flares. The entire body is $4,000. Ceramic coat is $900 by itself but if I did the full body in PPF they'll ceramic coat the exterior it for $450 including wheels and glass.

And I do really want that shiny look. So even if I didn't do PPF I know I'm going to do the ceramic at least.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmramsayii View Post
Hey Peeps,

I'm new to the BMW world and will be ordering the X7 M50i sometime soon. It's my first time purchasing a vehicle in this class and will be doing a 36 month lease term. I've seen people getting ceramic coating or ppf, and some even getting a combination of the two.

For a leased vehicle, what would you guys recommend? Ceramic coatings are more cost effective, but don't protect against rock chips as well as ppf does. Is that something I need to concern myself with considering it's a lease?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated folks.
We just had xpel put on front, headlights, full hood, side mirrors, rocker panels between the wheels. We leased too for 3 years. I've had 2 X5s and after a year the painted front bumper had so many little chips, definitely lost some of its wowness. The rocker panels are a must as the tires will throw stuff up just in normal driving and eventually you can see it. Xpel has a 10 year warranty. We paid $1,050 to have this all done. Xpel means never have to wax, but it's porous like paint so you don't get the water and dirt repelling properties of a ceramic coating. It's expensive and since it's a lease wasn't worth it to me. I can always wash it and wax (except the xpel parts) and make it look new. Ceramic does very little to prevent rock chips. My guy is in Thousand Oaks, California.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:

Undoubtedly, ppf is superior for paint protection, but it costs much more. I think I could count the chips in the last 90,000 miles on one hand. Honestly, I don't recall them being severe enough to cause me any fret and I'm the most OCD person I know (like I use 6 or more different towels just during the wet wash. My cars are white so YMMV.

The OP could spend $1600 for protection on part of the car, but he's walking away from the car in 36 months. imho, the ceramic would truely give him benfits he can see and experience every day (generally cleaner looking car, easier to clean, and looks waxed after a simple wash). I also took notice that the front end doesnt have as much paint to cover as you'd think. Its all grill and trim. Do they cover all this trim with film? This front is a bug magnet and I think I'm going ceramic to control bugs (and grime) on all this trim.

Part of me wants to get film, but I have trouble with how much it costs and how much of the front isn't protected. Enjoy the ride!
Attached Images

Last edited by dmann33; 06-15-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
UGAdawg25.50
      06-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
ronmramsayii
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Undoubtedly, ppf is superior for paint protection, but it costs much more. I think I could count the chips in the last 90,000 miles on one hand. Honestly, I don't recall them being severe enough to cause me any fret and I'm the most OCD person I know (like I use 6 or more different towels just during the wet wash. My cars are white so YMMV.

The OP could spend $1600 for protection on part of the car, but he's walking away from the car in 36 months. imho, the ceramic would truely give him benfits he can see and experience every day (generally cleaner looking car, easier to clean, and looks waxed after a simple wash). I also took notice that the front end doesnt have as much paint to cover as you'd think. Its all grill and trim. Do they cover all this trim with film? This front is a bug magnet and I think I'm going ceramic to control bugs (and grime) on all this trim.

Part of me wants to get film, but I have trouble with how much it costs and how much of the front isn't protected. Enjoy the ride!
You make a valid point about the front having a lot more grill and trim to it than there is white. That actually has me thinking differently now that you mention it.

And no, there won't be any PPF over the grill. I could save the money and get the entire interior and exterior done in ceramic coating, and probably still save money after the fact. Hmmmm, back to the drawing board lol

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

I'll have to think about it some. Fortunately I'm going in early next month to place my order, so I have time to think. I'll either go Opti-Coat Pro+ if I go ceramic only. If I do PPF, it'll be just the front along with the Xpel Fusion Ceramic combination for the entire vehicle. I do intend to keep it for 36 months, but just in case I do decide to go beyond that, I do want to be happy with the condition even then. We'll see.

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Last edited by ronmramsayii; 06-15-2019 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I am planning to do PPF xpel and Ceramic Coat on my new X7

Please let me know if we really need both Ceramic Coat and PPF on front would be enough. Confused. Any suggestions for a good place in Illinois.
My new BMW X7 is Mineral white with M pack.
I own the vehicle and plan to keep it for 7 years.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Chicago Beemer; 07-08-2020 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ppf can potentially save the car from minor accidents. Not impact type accidents but scratch type accidents like someone brushing your car in a parking lot or coming too close when parallel parking. It's probably a $600 paint job savings from repainting and the risk that the paint isn't perfect match
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I just had my M50i (Carbon Black) ceramic coated with front PPF. I live in Colorado and spend enough time on the highway and in the mountains that my cars get pelleted with debris. I've got enough OCD that the protection helps me stay somewhat sane. Ceramic is not needed (plenty of waxes and sealants out there that look great), but I do like its longevity and ease of maintenance hand washes. My car's paint looks like glass right now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
You make a valid point about the front having a lot more grill and trim to it than there is white. That actually has me thinking differently now that you mention it.

And no, there won't be any PPF over the grill. I could save the money and get the entire interior and exterior done in ceramic coating, and probably still save money after the fact. Hmmmm, back to the drawing board lol

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

I'll have to think about it some. Fortunately I'm going in early next month to place my order, so I have time to think. I'll either go Opti-Coat Pro+ if I go ceramic only. If I do PPF, it'll be just the front along with the Xpel Fusion Ceramic combination for the entire vehicle. I do intend to keep it for 36 months, but just in case I do decide to go beyond that, I do want to be happy with the condition even then. We'll see.

Thanks guys for the feedback!
The Xpel front template for the M50i covers more than I initially had imagined. Find a reputable and experienced Xpel installer that uses a plotter and templates for fronts like the MSport design if you decided to go with PPF. You don't want them cutting by hand. My installer pulled up the M50i front template so I could see all the pieces and how they would fit together. Where possible, he added slight margins so he could tuck and hide edges. In his words, "it wasn't a technically challenging install, it just takes a little more time".
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Xpel has a combo now where they can do the PPF and put "Fusion" their new ceramic product on top of it. The PPF would still somehow maintain its healing properties.

If I did the PPF I'm looking at $1600 for front, mirrors and fender flares. The entire body is $4,000. Ceramic coat is $900 by itself but if I did the full body in PPF they'll ceramic coat the exterior it for $450 including wheels and glass.

And I do really want that shiny look. So even if I didn't do PPF I know I'm going to do the ceramic at least.
I'd recommend PPF for the front and ceramic. $4000 seems like overkill on a leased car unless you're are seriously considering purchasing it at lease end.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3987.00
      07-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

Wanderer73
I got a quote today for x7 front full with xpel ppf clear bra for $1800 and Ceramic Pro 9H for $1500. Are you saying it is expensive??
Love your car after the ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #15
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Got PPF + Ceramic day 1 of ownership on my M3 and still looks showroom perfect after 2 years. When my 2021 TBII M50i arrives in September I will be taking it with zero interior or exterior dealer prep (w the exception of shipping blocks of course) and drive it directly to the detailer for the same treatment. I wouldn't not consider it.

Regardless if your car is a lease, if protecting it and keeping it perfect for as long as you can matters then do it. I always take care of my lease cars mostly because I'm OCD but also just in case I love it enough to keep.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

Any recommendation in Illinois for PPF and Ceramic Coat. Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #17
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Beemer View Post
Any recommendation in Illinois for PPF and Ceramic Coat. Appreciate the help.
I don't have any specific experience but there is a group called Chicago Auto Pros Who are very active on social media about coatings and they seem very knowledgeable.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #18
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wanderer73
I got a quote today for x7 front full with xpel ppf clear bra for $1800 and Ceramic Pro 9H for $1500. Are you saying it is expensive??
Love your car after the ceramic coat.
What does the full front include? I'm not overly familiar with Ceramic Pro products and pricing, so can't comment on that piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #19
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Please let me know if we really need both Ceramic Coat and PPF on front would be enough. Confused. Any suggestions for a good place in Illinois.
My new BMW X7 is Mineral white with M pack.
I own the vehicle and plan to keep it for 7 years.
Thanks
I don't know what your typical daily drive looks like, but if you're keeping the car that long, you'll likely benefit from ceramic and some level of PPF. I had PPF applied to the front only of my car (no hood, etc.) because that's typically where I get the most debris hitting. Really comes down to your potential paint damage tolerance level (and on which parts of the car) and how much you want to spend. Hell, wrap the whole car if money is no object

Personally, I love the MSport look of the front bumper and surrounding areas, and don't want to see paint nicks and scratches, so that's where I focused the PPF investment. I did ceramic for the longevity, look, and ease of wash/maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #20
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep

Thank you. Planning for front full hood with clear bra and ceramic for full car. I might end up with at least $3500. Chicago Auto Pros already got a quote and they are ridiculously at a very high price. Going in to shop on July24th. These guys are all backed up and no one is free.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #21
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Planning for front full hood with clear bra and ceramic for full car. I might end up with at least $3500. Chicago Auto Pros already got a quote and they are ridiculously at a very high price. Going in to shop on July24th. These guys are all backed up and no one is free.
They're a reputable shop, so no surprise that they are backed up and not as cost effective. You'll probably have to wait with any reputable place ... I booked an appointment over a month in advance here in Denver.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #22
jane477
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford

Quote:
Man that thing is expensive. I personally do not know anybody who would need full body ceramic but basically everyone I know are living in the city