Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wow$1800 for a set of four
I am gonna eat instant noodles everyday for the rest of August lol.
Hope you get at least 40k miles out of them
It's not gonna happen. I am happy if these tire can last more than 10k.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol. I met with ceo of pirelli a coupla years ago. He said premium cars need new tires every 18 months on average. It's a much better biz than selling mainstream tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:10 AM   #24
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
So...I just found out my X7 was built with non run flat tires. I didn't request this and assume it was an error on the dealership's part because he told me there was no charge for the spacesaver spare and added it. After reading through another thread, that's likely what caused the swap. I asked him if the tires can be changed before I do my performance center delivery in 2 weeks and they are trying to work it out for me. After reading some online reviews, wondering if I need to tell him to cancel that? Who's running run flats and are you happy with them? Under normal world conditions I do a LOT of driving and need mileage out of my tires.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

X7 will be hard on tires. Heavy performance vehicle will never be great on tire mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #25
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
So...I just found out my X7 was built with non run flat tires. I didn't request this and assume it was an error on the dealership's part because he told me there was no charge for the spacesaver spare and added it. After reading through another thread, that's likely what caused the swap. I asked him if the tires can be changed before I do my performance center delivery in 2 weeks and they are trying to work it out for me. After reading some online reviews, wondering if I need to tell him to cancel that? Who's running run flats and are you happy with them? Under normal world conditions I do a LOT of driving and need mileage out of my tires.
On the x7 with the air suspension, there isn't a huge difference on ride quality in my opinion. However the non-runflats will be a bit softer. They will both get similar miles in a similar spec. The difference would be on a high performance vs a winter or all season vs summer type tire.

If you're getting non-runflat summer high performance tires; they will likely be very similar to run flat summer high performance tires. I wouldn't swap either way, just take what comes for the factory. I doubt you're going to see a big miles difference in either of them.

Now when it comes time to replace them: now pay attention. If you drive a lot, you'll want high miles tires.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
On the x7 with the air suspension, there isn't a huge difference on ride quality in my opinion. However the non-runflats will be a bit softer. They will both get similar miles in a similar spec. The difference would be on a high performance vs a winter or all season vs summer type tire.

If you're getting non-runflat summer high performance tires; they will likely be very similar to run flat summer high performance tires. I wouldn't swap either way, just take what comes for the factory. I doubt you're going to see a big miles difference in either of them.

Now when it comes time to replace them: now pay attention. If you drive a lot, you'll want high miles tires.
The non run flats have a 280 UTQG rating and the run flats have a 320 UTQG rating so the run flats which ironically cost less than the non run flat P-zeros theoretically should last longer.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #27
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

The non run flats have a 280 UTQG rating and the run flats have a 320 UTQG rating so the run flats which ironically cost less than the non run flat P-zeros theoretically should last longer.
The Michelin should have a 500 rating, which should last a lot longer. It's what's on all 4 of our vehicles after the stock ones ran out.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #28
joeruby1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription

Couldn't really find the answer above: Any suggestions what brand, model and exact tire size in "non rft" is best to replace the stock 21" A/S rft tires that came on a X7 M50i

TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 05:23 AM   #29
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeruby1 View Post
Couldn't really find the answer above: Any suggestions what brand, model and exact tire size in "non rft" is best to replace the stock 21" A/S rft tires that came on a X7 M50i

TIA
Brand performance as viewed by the "average Joe" can be very subjective. But in general, well accepted performance brands (even for performance SUV's like the X7) are Michelin and Continental - to name only a few. The surveys and reviews on Tire Rack, while not the most scientific, can provide good enough insight to help you make a choice that is right for you. But in general, you get what you pay for when it comes to tires so I would not buy the cheapest ones you can get either (unless you can find a top performing brand/model on sale).

As far as size goes, unless you are going for a specific/unique look, I would recommend you stick with the stock tire size if you want to maintain stock ride characteristics. Also, if your climate sees all 4 seasons (and you drive all 4 seasons), and you only want one set of wheels/tires, I would recommend you stick with a performance all-season tire model for the X7.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #30
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

My all weather touring wheel/tires are 21” AS Continuous non-run flats. Absolutely the smoothest ride and quiet. My 22” Continental run flats are pretty good but the 21” AS non run flats are smoother. No getting around the compromise when going for the larger 22” diameter wheel for looks. It’s that way in other luxury SUV’s. 21”ers with non-run flats are the best overall compromise in looks/ride for the full size premium SUV. IMO

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-01-2021 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #31
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
My all weather touring wheel/tires are 21" AS Continuous non-run flats. Absolutely the smoothest ride and quiet. My 22" Continental run flats are pretty good but the 21" AS non run flats are smoother. No getting around the compromise when going for the larger 22" diameter wheel for looks. It's that way in other luxury SUV's. 21"ers with non-run flats are the best overall compromise in looks/ride for the full size premium SUV. IMO

You guys can knock run flats all you want, but I have never been so glad to have RFTs as when I got a bolt in my tire coming up a snowy mountain pass at 11 pm with no pull offs so you could change a tire. Plus the X7 22 inch wheels are crazy heavy. You need the stud tools to remount the wheel. At least I do to position the wheel so you can screw the wheel bolts in. Life is so much easier with RFTs and I don't notice an appreciable difference in ride or handling to the non RFTs.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
You guys can knock run flats all you want, but I have never been so glad to have RFTs as when I got a bolt in my tire coming up a snowy mountain pass at 11 pm with no pull offs so you could change a tire. Plus the X7 22 inch wheels are crazy heavy. You need the stud tools to remount the wheel. At least I do to position the wheel so you can screw the wheel bolts in. Life is so much easier with RFTs and I don't notice an appreciable difference in ride or handling to the non RFTs.
I don’t think anyone is knocking RF tires. There is just a compromise with either set-ups depending on what your priorities are.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #33
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I ordered my car with 21" Non Run Flat tires. It came with the Bridgestone Alenza AS Sport All Season tires. I am very pleased with these tires and I have 29K miles on them and still have another few thousand miles of tread left.

They are also the cheapest tires in this size currently available in NON run flats. While the consensus is don't by the cheapest tire. In this case, I believe the Bridgestone tires are some of the best out their in this tire size (285/45R21). I will be replacing the current tires with the same tires when it comes time for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #34
AdmirG07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 x7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
what size?
Same size as stock 22''.

Front: 275/40R22 107Y XL
Rear: 315/35R22 111Y XL

Tirerack link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tandard%20Tire
Where do you live, snow?

Wondering why you didn't go with all season since swapping out?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:18 AM   #35
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I ordered my car with 21" Non Run Flat tires. It came with the Bridgestone Alenza AS Sport All Season tires. I am very pleased with these tires and I have 29K miles on them and still have another few thousand miles of tread left.

They are also the cheapest tires in this size currently available in NON run flats. While the consensus is don't by the cheapest tire. In this case, I believe the Bridgestone tires are some of the best out their in this tire size (285/45R21). I will be replacing the current tires with the same tires when it comes time for replacement.
Cheap vs less expensive are two different things . While I am not familiar with this particular model of Bridgstone tire in non-run flat trim, Bridgstone is still a large and reputable brand that should work fine for the X7 even if it might not be as highly rated as other well known brands like Michelin, Continental, or Pirelli (and there are several well known, good brands in the tire industry which can make tire selection challenging). When my original A/S runflats require replacement I will be looking for a non-run flat alternative as well. And BTW, my X7 came with Bridgestone Alenza A/S run flat tires from the factory and other than run flat tires not being my preferred type of tire over non-run flat tires in general, I have don’t have any complaints about them which is why I will wait until they wear out before I replace them.

A quick look at TireRack reveals that all of the available brands that make sizes for the X7, which is somewhat limited compared to other car models, are all well known and good IMHO so you really can’t go wrong with any. It just comes down to your personal preference - which includes price for most people (including me). Now when you get into more popular cars, sports sedans/coupes especially (like my M3), that is where you can see a wide variance of tire brands and quality (and price) - which is where you get what you pay for with tires (been down that “cheap tire” road once before in my early car enthusiast days - never again ).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 07-02-2021 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #36
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Anyone find A/S for the 22” wheels for the X7? Did you go with a slightly different rear tire size?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #37
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Just to clarify, those who got their x7 with rft (some) have replaced them with non rft? How do they feel about not having a spare?

I did the same on 328i - replaced rft with non rft. Less expensive and better ride. But my wife drives it around town so I felt I could take a chance if she gets a flat. I ordered my x3 with non rft and the ride is softer than when I test drove with rft. I have a spare. So thinking about replacing 328 with x7 this is an interesting question. I want the 22” wheel but it seems they come with perf rft only. Do you know if you can order bigger wheels with say non rft?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #38
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Anyone find A/S for the 22” wheels for the X7? Did you go with a slightly different rear tire size?
As you noted, the problem is with the rears. Some posts on here have suggested 285/40/R22 swap for the rears to find a better selection of tires.

Another thread

295/35/22 suggested in this thread

And if you really want to go for a non-runflat AS option, I would be very tempted to run a square setup with these tires 275/40/22 continental DWS06 Plus
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #39
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
As you noted, the problem is with the rears. Some posts on here have suggested 285/40/R22 swap for the rears to find a better selection of tires.

Another thread

295/35/22 suggested in this thread

And if you really want to go for a non-runflat AS option, I would be very tempted to run a square setup with these tires 275/40/22 continental DWS06 Plus
Has anyone just put 305/40/22 on the back? Decent A/S tire options in that size

Last edited by Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW; 09-10-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #40
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Has anyone just put 305/40/22 on the back? Decent A/S tire options in that size
The diameter of the tire is 2.9% higher than stock (30.7" stock vs 31.6"). Both 275/40/R22 and 315/30/R22 have 30.7" diameters.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #41
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
Just to clarify, those who got their x7 with rft (some) have replaced them with non rft? How do they feel about not having a spare?

I did the same on 328i - replaced rft with non rft. Less expensive and better ride. But my wife drives it around town so I felt I could take a chance if she gets a flat. I ordered my x3 with non rft and the ride is softer than when I test drove with rft. I have a spare. So thinking about replacing 328 with x7 this is an interesting question. I want the 22" wheel but it seems they come with perf rft only. Do you know if you can order bigger wheels with say non rft?

Thx
Well, I don't like the idea of not having a spare if I can make it practical to have one. I plan to replace my 21" RFT with non-RFT once they wear out. In preparation for when that day comes, I retrofitted my own "hybrid OEM" space saver spare kit…

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1734983

Appreciate 0