BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Debating X7 M50i / XB7 / GLS63

06-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Go drive a GLS then immediately test an X7 and you'll quickly realize your search is narrowed down to M50 or BX7.
I agree. Did the same thing. Even my buddy who rode with me agreed. The Mercedes was much noisier inside, rougher riding, not as powerful and just lacked the same refinement, power, smoothness and handling that the BMW has. Plus, a sloppy inaccurate touch pad on the center console and the stupid little touch pad buttons on the steering wheel were terrible. Plus, I don't like the Mercedes "Oh Shit" handles on the center console.

As an IT person, I find the BMW's methods for interacting with the Technology to be much better and one of the best I've experienced. You can talk to it, use the joystick, write on the horizontal surface of the joystick with your finger, use the touch screen or use gesture controls for some commands. Once you realize what all the options are for interfacing with the tech it's easy to tailor which method you want to use based on the situation at hand.

Last edited by mitch57; 06-19-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      06-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
The issue with the X5 is when I put the front seat to where I need it (all the way back), and then if I sit behind my seat - I don't fit. I realize I won't be in both seats at the same time, but the issue is the interior sizing is smaller in the X5 than the X7. Most of the guys that I work with, that would ride with me - or multiple customers I can think of - are all 6'+ and I don't want something where people are cramped up behind my seat. And I literally DESPISE if anyone asks me to move my seat for them - I would literally rather they walk.
A GLE could be an interesting choice if you'd want something the size of an X5. I've had a GLE 450 as a loaner and even used it to take a weekend trip and proved to be a very nice and practical vehicle. The rear seat legroom is huge - I believe larger than an X7 (at least that's what the spec sheet says) - and it drove relatively well and even offers a third row (mostly in a pinch/for kids), plus the AMG variant should be coming out very soon.
      06-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #25
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I agree with you there. My wife and I don't need a third row but we often have friends and family in the second row and the leg row of the X7 with the seats all the way back offer more leg room than the X5 and seats are more comfortable IMO. I love the look of the X5 but the second row leg room just doesn't work for us.
Exactly. This would have been the solution if we had more 2nd row space in the X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #26
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
We drove the base model GLS and I liked the X7 much better, but I found myself wondering if the GLS63 would drive much differently to the point where I would like it -
Previous GLS generation handled well but the suspension was odd. It was sloppy and too firm depending on settings. Harsh over bumps. Even in full 63AMG regalia it felt like a minivan more than an SUV. Outside of a few minor complaints about the interior fit/finish on the X7 I don't have much to complain about except the Captain's chairs. I would opt for bench seat if I were to do it all over again. More legroom and easier to use but that being said the Captain's chair work well with snowboards and surfboards, stowing schoolbags and other items which the kids may reach back and grab as they pop-out and off to class.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #27
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Previous GLS generation handled well but the suspension was odd. It was sloppy and too firm depending on settings. Harsh over bumps. Even in full 63AMG regalia it felt like a minivan more than an SUV. Outside of a few minor complaints about the interior fit/finish on the X7 I don't have much to complain about except the Captain's chairs. I would opt for bench seat if I were to do it all over again. More legroom and easier to use but that being said the Captain's chair work well with snowboards and surfboards, stowing schoolbags and other items which the kids may reach back and grab as they pop-out and off to class.
Yeah I already regretted once not being able to put down captain chairs to transport something. But I still think in most cases they are more convenient.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      06-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #28
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Agreed. Only a handful of times they've let me down but for daily use they are more practical despite less legroom over the bench. In addition the customized seating for each individual passenger is a huge plus that the bench seat does not offer and if you use the third row access to the third row is better.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 01:01 AM   #29
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Garage List
Quote:
Trust me, I'm really not thrilled about the concept of us both having basically the same vehicle. We have a new baby, and want to have a couple more kids. So we'll need space for her vehicle for sure. I am a big guy and don't fit in, or like driving, small cars. I occasionally have customers or employees with me, so I would like something comfortable and nice. But I always want something that isn't a slow sloppy boat like a big truck (although my truck was sick). Mine would have captain chairs in the rear, hers would have bench.

My issue with Mercedes is probably really silly. Our experience at the BMW dealer nearby has been incredible. Top notch facility, customer service, loaner cars, they're just great. Mercedes dealer nearby is the complete opposite - completely rude, unhelpful, and sketchy with their recommendations for repairs. We have a Sprinter fleet and they have been the worst. I also love the BMW handling over anyone else, though we test drove the base GLS and it was much more responsive than I remember the older models being (we have a 2008 R class and it's a floppy boat). I also expect the GLS63 will be more expensive than the XB7 once desired options are all added - but I don't see where I can build the GLS63 on the website so I can't verify that yet.
Sometimes, biting the bullet and purchasing a giant full size body-on-frame SUV for the family (we have an Expedition around) is the only way to go for people who love cars.

Why?

It gives ultimate flexibility for your other garage slots and makes you appreciate great drives that much more.
      06-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #30
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Is there a reason / preference for an SUV for your vehicle? If you don't really need the 3rd row, the 750/760/B7 could be an option. I've got a 750Li, and the leg room in back is crazy. I could haul NBA players, and they'd still be comfy. As far as driving enjoyment, I prefer it over my X7. If it only had a few of the extras we got on the X7 (B&W, surround view cameras), it would definitely be my overall favorite.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #31
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenB7 View Post
Quote:
Trust me, I'm really not thrilled about the concept of us both having basically the same vehicle. We have a new baby, and want to have a couple more kids. So we'll need space for her vehicle for sure. I am a big guy and don't fit in, or like driving, small cars. I occasionally have customers or employees with me, so I would like something comfortable and nice. But I always want something that isn't a slow sloppy boat like a big truck (although my truck was sick). Mine would have captain chairs in the rear, hers would have bench.

My issue with Mercedes is probably really silly. Our experience at the BMW dealer nearby has been incredible. Top notch facility, customer service, loaner cars, they're just great. Mercedes dealer nearby is the complete opposite - completely rude, unhelpful, and sketchy with their recommendations for repairs. We have a Sprinter fleet and they have been the worst. I also love the BMW handling over anyone else, though we test drove the base GLS and it was much more responsive than I remember the older models being (we have a 2008 R class and it's a floppy boat). I also expect the GLS63 will be more expensive than the XB7 once desired options are all added - but I don't see where I can build the GLS63 on the website so I can't verify that yet.
Sometimes, biting the bullet and purchasing a giant full size body-on-frame SUV for the family (we have an Expedition around) is the only way to go for people who love cars.

Why?

It gives ultimate flexibility for your other garage slots and makes you appreciate great drives that much more.
This is really the right move. I wanted to get an expedition or new suburban as the family hauler to complement my X5 DD. My wife unfortunately is afraid of the size so it was an X7 or a minivan.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #32
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
Is there a reason / preference for an SUV for your vehicle? If you don't really need the 3rd row, the 750/760/B7 could be an option. I've got a 750Li, and the leg room in back is crazy. I could haul NBA players, and they'd still be comfy. As far as driving enjoyment, I prefer it over my X7. If it only had a few of the extras we got on the X7 (B&W, surround view cameras), it would definitely be my overall favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
This is really the right move. I wanted to get an expedition or new suburban as the family hauler to complement my X5 DD. My wife unfortunately is afraid of the size so it was an X7 or a minivan.
After a while, the trucks shrink around you. The abundance of space becomes liberating; you'll grow to really love it. Buy it outright and put a zillion miles of abuse on it. Stick with Expy XL/Suburban. Escalade/Denali/Navi defeats the purpose. X7 will feel cramped afterwards.

Once one of those workhorses is in the stable, you can have almost anything else.

The best car advice I've ever received is, 'before you go out and buy what you like, go buy something you don't like for the family.'
adamjs83147.00
      06-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #33
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenB7 View Post
After a while, the trucks shrink around you. The abundance of space becomes liberating; you'll grow to really love it. Buy it outright and put a zillion miles of abuse on it. Stick with Expy XL/Suburban. Escalade/Denali/Navi defeats the purpose. X7 will feel cramped afterwards.

Once one of those workhorses is in the stable, you can have almost anything else.

The best car advice I've ever received is, 'before you go out and buy what you like, go buy something you don't like for the family.'
Interesting perspective regarding the big domestic SUV as I have a similar perspective - except from the opposite direction. I recently traded my Expedition EL family/cargo hauler of 10+ years for the X7 (bought the Expedition used with 24k miles, traded it with 150k miles). The Expedition was always big, burly and bulky - but it served its purpose and was still fun to drive. While the X7 is clearly smaller, it does not feel cramped at all, IMO. The only "loss" I feel with the X7 is the lack of space behind the 3rd row for stuff compared to the Expedition. But if I need the space temporarily for cargo, I just put down the 3rd row.

I have always had a full size SUV since I got my first car (a '95 M3 back in 1995). When I met my wife, she drove the SUV for a while (a Dodge Durango back then), but did not really like it due to the size. I also wanted to commandeer the SUV more for my own purposes (like taking my car to the track ), so I got her an X3. Being a "BMW guy", I would have purchased an X7 a long time ago if they made one, but the X5 was too small for my needs and for the family - so I stuck with the big domestic SUV for so long (replacing the Durango with the Expedition back in 2009).

In comes the X7, still too big for my wife's tastes so she keeps her X3 as her daily driver (but she will drive the X7 when she needs more room, just like she did with the Expedition and prior SUVs we have owned). But I love the X7 and will drive it often - more than I did the Expedition. The X7 still meets the family SUV needs (and my needs), but is a much more refined, luxurious ride with BMW performance and style. I am fortunate enough to "have my cake and eat it, too" when it comes to the X7 and my M3 - depending on my mood, I have two different vehicles to drive that will scratch a different "itch". But at the end of the day, it is whatever works for you (and your family) - this works for me and my family. I could go on more, but I think the pics below can finish telling this story, which is a happy ending in my book.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 06-21-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      06-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #34
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Get your wife the X7 M50i and get yourself an X5M or X5 M50i. One of my neighbors has a GLS580 and said it's a huge disappointment, he's looking at option to either swap a lease or take it on the chin and get out of it. I've also seen the new GLE on the road and all I can say is......well let's just say we are all here on BMW forum.
      06-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Why not try a cayenne or q8/sq8? Not a three row but significantly larger 2nd row than the x5. The x5 really missed the boat in terms of rear seat leg room.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
I traded my cayenne for an x5 and can say there is not much difference in rear legroom between the two
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #37
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan335 View Post
Why not try a cayenne or q8/sq8? Not a three row but significantly larger 2nd row than the x5. The x5 really missed the boat in terms of rear seat leg room.
Does the Cayenne actually have more rear space? Typically the Porsche SUV's are one class smaller inside than their competitors.

The SQ8 could be an interesting choice, definitely one of the more interesting looking Audi's of recent, and has a V8, although the touchscreen/piano black interior is a nightmare in my opinion (my OCD can't handle it ) although I am curious as to how they drive, typically Audi's aren't as tight or sporty.
      06-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #38
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
Cayenne actually has less cargo space vs x5. But overall very similar in size
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #39
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and good input. Here are some responses:

We can't get some Expedition or Explorer or Suburban or Escalade type thing. My wife used to drive crazy motorcycles like 750cc and above (I'm not a biker so if I sound like a noob that's why). She cannot stand driving these slow and mopey and floppy vehicles. Plus, we're family young still. One young child. I think by the time we have 2-3 kids all getting older - like the next vehicle - that one might be better being a big flop-mobile. But she absolutely won't go for it now, and I don't blame her, they suck in comparison (driving experience).

That all being said, I read other recommendations. I can't do X5, way too small back seat. I will have my seat 100% back all the way, and it's too small behind. No good.

At this point, we're looking at these 4 vehicles, and I have to wait until Fall to go see them and watch reviews on them, since they aren't out yet (except m50i of course):

XB7
m50i
GLS63
SQ7

The SQ7 might be an interesting one. They don't suck (500 hp) and they fixed a lot of what I hated about Audi in the past (it doesn't have 12,000 buttons and knobs anymore). It looks good too.

I don't see that I can make a decision until some of these are coming out and I can go see and sit in them and watch online reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #40
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

We can't get some Expedition or Explorer or Suburban or Escalade type thing. My wife used to drive crazy motorcycles like 750cc and above (I'm not a biker so if I sound like a noob that's why). She cannot stand driving these slow and mopey and floppy vehicles. Plus, we're family young still. One young child. I think by the time we have 2-3 kids all getting older - like the next vehicle - that one might be better being a big flop-mobile. But she absolutely won't go for it now, and I don't blame her, they suck in comparison (driving experience).

That all being said, I read other recommendations. I can't do X5, way too small back seat. I will have my seat 100% back all the way, and it's too small behind. No good.

At this point, we're looking at these 4 vehicles, and I have to wait until Fall to go see them and watch reviews on them, since they aren't out yet (except m50i of course):

XB7
m50i
GLS63
SQ7

The SQ7 might be an interesting one. They don't suck (500 hp) and they fixed a lot of what I hated about Audi in the past (it doesn't have 12,000 buttons and knobs anymore). It looks good too.

I don't see that I can make a decision until some of these are coming out and I can go see and sit in them and watch online reviews.
If you're looking at GLS, also look at the GLE63 if you do not need a third row. The second row legroom of the GLE is huge fixing your biggest issue of the X5, I believe very similar to the GLS in size, not to mention it will drive better than the GLS since its overall smaller.
      06-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #41
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and good input. we're looking at these 4 vehicles, and I have to wait until Fall to go see them and watch reviews on them, since they aren't out yet (except m50i of course):

XB7
m50i
GLS63
SQ7
I'm taking a similar approach. I'm waiting until some driving reviews of the XB7 show up this fall before I make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #42
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

XB7
m50i
GLS63
SQ7

I am glad you didn't get convinced to get a huge SUV that drives like a boat. Defeats the purpose and takes away any pleasure of driving. Looks like you are focused on the right choices. I would also include a 7 series and an S class, especially if you can go with S63 AMG. X6M would be my top choice but it's probably too small for your needs.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #43
theboosh
Rep
Drives: 23 XM,64MGB,64Morris,60JagMk2,

Had a ML63 AMG for several years & many cross (U.S.) country road trips. Was crazy quick, unique body style, and also the great 6 miles per gallon - the way I drive. Have to say that the fully loaded x7 m50i is a much better ride for long distance, more room, still fun quick and parity with the mph!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #44
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Quote:

XB7
m50i
GLS63
SQ7

I am glad you didn't get convinced to get a huge SUV that drives like a boat. Defeats the purpose and takes away any pleasure of driving. Looks like you are focused on the right choices. I would also include a 7 series and an S class, especially if you can go with S63 AMG. X6M would be my top choice but it's probably too small for your needs.
S63 AMG would be awesome, despite being the oldest in its class its still the go to flagship sedan and just screams luxury. I would get the coupe, but the sedan is gorgeous as well.

OP if you don't need an SUV, a full-sized luxury sedan is the way to go.
Attached Images