Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I think they could have done more with the exterior styling of the XB7 to differentiate it from a non M Sport X7. Totally underwhelming IMO.
This is my exact problem. If they just had SOMETHING unique or special one could justify. But so much is just standard x7 stuff, and some things the M50i looks better with (like the front bumper, imo). The interior also, just standard interior? What is that? There should be something unique. Some unique leather combination options, unique headliner options, idk, something different. It's so incredibly close to standard with the exception of some logos and emblems here and there - woopty do. Let's see when it comes out. I'm going to be comparing it to the other models I mentioned above.

I'll be pretty upset though if I end up getting a 2021 M50i and someone mentioned a lot of things aren't available anymore for the 2021 as it was for 2020.
100% agree!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #68
Gsv77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

My wife rolls in a GLS63. She still gets upidy here and there...but at least I get to go to Home Depot in it on the weekends.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
clutchdj1877.00
CarMan77424.50
      07-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #69
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
If your wife is getting the M50i, I would just get the GLS AMG. Nice to have a little variety in the house and you can't beat an AMG V8. GLS is also likely a bit more practical.

Just curious but why the need for two 3-row SUV's?
Trust me, I'm really not thrilled about the concept of us both having basically the same vehicle. We have a new baby, and want to have a couple more kids. So we'll need space for her vehicle for sure. I am a big guy and don't fit in, or like driving, small cars. I occasionally have customers or employees with me, so I would like something comfortable and nice. But I always want something that isn't a slow sloppy boat like a big truck (although my truck was sick). Mine would have captain chairs in the rear, hers would have bench.

My issue with Mercedes is probably really silly. Our experience at the BMW dealer nearby has been incredible. Top notch facility, customer service, loaner cars, they're just great. Mercedes dealer nearby is the complete opposite - completely rude, unhelpful, and sketchy with their recommendations for repairs. We have a Sprinter fleet and they have been the worst. I also love the BMW handling over anyone else, though we test drove the base GLS and it was much more responsive than I remember the older models being (we have a 2008 R class and it's a floppy boat). I also expect the GLS63 will be more expensive than the XB7 once desired options are all added - but I don't see where I can build the GLS63 on the website so I can't verify that yet.
If you have one baby unless you plan twins in the year by the time you have enough of them to fill the X7 they will be old already, just a practical thought.
I have M50i and I say in USA this is absolutely plenty to leave anyone behind during green light start including plenty of pseudo and sport cars, most of the drivers h e no clue why they got accelerator.
Anyhow M50i is very impressive in its driving.
If you have to much $ get Bentayaga I believe they come with W12 engine
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 04:45 AM   #70
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

the VW SUV is awesome but a bit above your price range here, if you're debating the step up to Alpina, then the VW family (Porshe Cayenne, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Betegaya) probably isn't for you.

I test drove all the cars on your list, and I'm a big guy too at 6'1", and my wife is 5'11", and our daughter is big too. we also have 1 kid with plans for 2 more.

To be perfectly honest with you, ignore all the comments from those that are "talking their book". they bought the XYZ car because they liked it. You need a car that makes you happy.

In my opinion, every car discussed here from the Suburban and Tahoe to the Sedans, will come with a trade off. You can't have it all and will have to make a sacrifice somewhere. For me, I started at the front and worked backwards. in an era where they are getting rid of coupes, and everything is going SUV - you need to follow and not fight it. Get a big SUV. However, there is a flipside. They are killing all the big v8, and going EcoBoost and hybrid. So I decided I want to get my v8 now before it becomes a relic of the past and I can't get anything bigger than a 6 cylinder underpowered weak SUV.

I wanted something that handled like the sports cars and coupes I owned before I had my first kid. So I drove the x5 and x7. There is NO QUESTION, that the air suspension on the x7 makes it "sloppy" compared to an x5 or x6m without airbags. Even in the most aggressive sport plus, the x7 is no match for the feel of the x5.
That said, you trade a lot of space for a smaller x5 that loaded up is similar priced to an x7 with more room.

With strollers and car seats rear facing, we found for our family, we needed the space. So we sacrificed handling and went for a big SUV.

That said, you have to find what's the most important 7 things about a big SUV for you, and rank them in order. Then eliminate 6 and 7 and circle 1,2 and 3.

Buy the car, truck, or SUV that satisfies numbers 1-3. and hope if it hits 4 & 5; you hit the trifecta and got a bonus.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #71
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
the VW SUV is awesome but a bit above your price range here, if you're debating the step up to Alpina, then the VW family (Porshe Cayenne, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Betegaya) probably isn't for you.

I test drove all the cars on your list, and I'm a big guy too at 6'1", and my wife is 5'11", and our daughter is big too. we also have 1 kid with plans for 2 more.

To be perfectly honest with you, ignore all the comments from those that are "talking their book". they bought the XYZ car because they liked it. You need a car that makes you happy.

In my opinion, every car discussed here from the Suburban and Tahoe to the Sedans, will come with a trade off. You can't have it all and will have to make a sacrifice somewhere. For me, I started at the front and worked backwards. in an era where they are getting rid of coupes, and everything is going SUV - you need to follow and not fight it. Get a big SUV. However, there is a flipside. They are killing all the big v8, and going EcoBoost and hybrid. So I decided I want to get my v8 now before it becomes a relic of the past and I can't get anything bigger than a 6 cylinder underpowered weak SUV.

I wanted something that handled like the sports cars and coupes I owned before I had my first kid. So I drove the x5 and x7. There is NO QUESTION, that the air suspension on the x7 makes it "sloppy" compared to an x5 or x6m without airbags. Even in the most aggressive sport plus, the x7 is no match for the feel of the x5.
That said, you trade a lot of space for a smaller x5 that loaded up is similar priced to an x7 with more room.

With strollers and car seats rear facing, we found for our family, we needed the space. So we sacrificed handling and went for a big SUV.

That said, you have to find what's the most important 7 things about a big SUV for you, and rank them in order. Then eliminate 6 and 7 and circle 1,2 and 3.

Buy the car, truck, or SUV that satisfies numbers 1-3. and hope if it hits 4 & 5; you hit the trifecta and got a bonus.

Thanks a lot. Good advice. And yes, I wouldn't want to spend that much money on those VW brands, I would feel way too guilty and it's just not needed. I think the Alpina-level is the max I would want to spend and not feel like I'm getting silly.

Also agreed, we have a 10-month boy, and might have our 2nd on the way right now, so we'll have two rear-facing baby seats soon. That hogs up a ton of space, plus all the other things. Granted, my wife's car could hold all of this and mine could be different - but I need something with a big backseat also. The X5 and other similar size things we've sat in - if the front seat is all the way back (which mine always is) then there is no space behind me for a decent sized human. How do I take customers/employees anywhere if they can't fit in my car? That's just annoying and I don't like that. This is why I think I have to get a bigger SUV also, might be redundant, but I don't like small things and I really don't like the idea of a tiny backseat for passengers.

I'm watching for when I see some real reviews on the Alpina and the AMG GLS63. I think one of those two might be for me, and my wife really likes the m50i. But let's see how this plays out.

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice and input!
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #72
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

What’s the question???

Appreciate 2
GlennC321.00
iconoclast7265.50
      08-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #73
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
I'm watching for when I see some real reviews on the Alpina and the AMG GLS63. I think one of those two might be for me, and my wife really likes the m50i.
I owned a GL 550 and two GLS 550's and was very close to buying a GLS 63, until I test drive it. I liked almost everything about it except the seats. While they are nice looking seats they were not comfortable. They have these firm thigh bolsters that are not adjustable. I am a big person and they would never work for me. The seats in the X7/XB7 are far more comfortable. Something to think about since you mentioned how important seating comfort is for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #74
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
I'm watching for when I see some real reviews on the Alpina and the AMG GLS63. I think one of those two might be for me, and my wife really likes the m50i.
I owned a GL 550 and two GLS 550's and was very close to buying a GLS 63, until I test drive it. I liked almost everything about it except the seats. While they are nice looking seats they were not comfortable. They have these firm thigh bolsters that are not adjustable. I am a big person and they would never work for me. The seats in the X7/XB7 are far more comfortable. Something to think about since you mentioned how important seating comfort is for you.
I actually found the MB seats more comfortable, but like he said they are not adjustable in any meaningful way. The BMW seats are far, far more adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #75
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
I actually found the MB seats more comfortable, but like he said they are not adjustable in any meaningful way. The BMW seats are far, far more adjustable.
Annoyingly MB makes you dig through menu's to change seat adjustments outside the basic forward back, tilt, etc. Luckily seats are just set it and forget it.
      08-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #76
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Haven't read through comments, sure this has been said alread, but xb7 and gls63 completely different vibe from m50i.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #77
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Haven't read through comments, sure this has been said alread, but xb7 and gls63 completely different vibe from m50i.
Please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #78
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Please elaborate.
Would love to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #79
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Dang guys, apparently the XB7s are sold out for 2020 anyway, so I guess that's off the table for me unless I wanted to wait a whole additional year. At least by then I would have plenty of reviews to watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #80
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
My two cents
Rent each vehicle you're considering for few days and then decide. Turo is your buddy.

That's what I always do.

This time around before getting the X7, I rented all the big SUV's out there.
Navigator
Escalade
Suburban
Yukon XL
Ford Expedition Max
MB GLS
X7
Q7
Had to sacrifice the trunk space and landed on the X7 but have the tow hitch and roof box to cover that.
      08-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #81
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Spoke to my dealer and they said it's only until the following quarter, so more XB7 can be purchased in November/December probably. I wonder if the leaks are true, and there will be more colors available then.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #82
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
Is there a reason / preference for an SUV for your vehicle? If you don't really need the 3rd row, the 750/760/B7 could be an option. I've got a 750Li, and the leg room in back is crazy. I could haul NBA players, and they'd still be comfy. As far as driving enjoyment, I prefer it over my X7. If it only had a few of the extras we got on the X7 (B&W, surround view cameras), it would definitely be my overall favorite.
I feel like my 7 series ruined a lot of cars for me

X7 felt cramped and small to me, but to others it’s actually a large car

I think when it comes for a new lease cycle; I’ll upgrade our current 3 row to the Escalade and get either a 7 or 8gc
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #83
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Where the traditional stretch luxury car is a total fail for me is luggage space. A family of 4 doing long road trips doesn’t work in a car. My A8 was a huge compromise in the amount of luggage we could take and the size of the suitcases. I could get a lot more in the back of the G05 X5. The X7 is in another zip code of luggage space. Plus our luggage can have its own sunroof and climate controls in the X7. Sitting up higher is also what we want in a luxury vehicle for this purpose. Neither my wife or I will probably ever get another luxury sedan for serious traveling even if it’s just us two.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-22-2020 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #84
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Where the traditional stretch luxury car is a total fail for me is luggage space. A family of 4 doing long road trips doesn’t work in a car. My A8 was a huge compromise in the amount of luggage we could take and the size of the suitcases. I could get a lot more in the back of the G05 X5. The X7 is in another zip code of luggage space. Plus our luggage can have its own sunroof and climate controls in the X7. Sitting up higher is also what we want in a luxury vehicle for this purpose. Neither my wife or I will probably ever get another luxury sedan for serious traveling even if it’s just us two.
Totally agree with you. I hate sitting low.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #85
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Where the traditional stretch luxury car is a total fail for me is luggage space. A family of 4 doing long road trips doesn't work in a car. My A8 was a huge compromise in the amount of luggage we could take and the size of the suitcases. I could get a lot more in the back of the G05 X5. The X7 is in another zip code of luggage space. Plus our luggage can have its own sunroof and climate controls in the X7. Sitting up higher is also what we want in a luxury vehicle for this purpose. Neither my wife or I will probably ever get another luxury sedan for serious traveling even if it's just us two.
That I can relate to.
Yet I believe a tow hitch is a must if you have kids. At least for the bicycles
      08-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #86
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Percentage wise, I think I would lose less money opening a restaurant and failing than buying a new AMG anything.
AMG depreciate faster than they drive. It is insane; but in the same vein they are probably some of the best cars to purchase "used" with only a couple thousand miles on them.
Appreciate 3
NOVA99162.50
LittleJoe1064.00
Heimdall136.50
      08-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #87
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Percentage wise, I think I would lose less money opening a restaurant and failing than buying a new AMG anything.
AMG depreciate faster than they drive. It is insane; but in the same vein they are probably some of the best cars to purchase "used" with only a couple thousand miles on them.
This is completely true as they are a steal when bought used with low miles. However. One big caveat. You NEED to buy a warranty when you purchase any of these cars used. When the break and they will break they break big.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      08-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #88
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Agreed, but I was referring to purchasing not even a year old with a couple thousand miles up to off-lease w/ extended warranty. No way would I ever own any AMG out of warranty. Each visit is easily a couple thousand dollars.
Appreciate 0