E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My CIP 20 update is crashing

01-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
My CIP 20 update is crashing

I took my car in this morning, for the CIP 20 update. I had been promised that the software takes about 2 to 3 hours.

I had my doubts about that, since I've read here that some cars may need overnight updating. Anyway, they told me that the update on my car keeps crashing. They don't even know if it will succeed at all.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? How long did it take with the crashes? I'm getting worried that they might completely mess everything up :mad: .... I hope they don't have to work on it over the weekend too. One night is bad enough.... I don't think I can take a weekend without my car.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Happens sometimes
Sometimes it fixes itself, other times they need to replace a module
Also heard if they know what module is crashing they can update everythig else first, then retry that one module.

Time taken depends on how many modules need updateing in your car
I did see a 330i being given the MP3 update at Club Motors the other day, and the system said it would take 338minutes.

Atleast its the dealers top personell who do the updating, so they know their stuff

Good luck and keep us informed
      01-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
anthony_h
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6spd

I got mine done in the last two days.
they originally told me that it would take a couple of hours but it ended up taking about 30 hours!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
I had a similar problem with my car. They needed to keep it overnight and when I picked it up my service advisor said that there was a non-critical module that wasn't taking the update. He said it might not be a problem, but they have ordered the part from Munich and if iDrive gives any problems then they will book the car in to install it.

Sounds like the same thing may be happening, except it could be a critical module (ie, if it's not functioning properly then the car itself won't function).

Hope everything gets sorted. Sometimes these things happen.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the feedback.... at least this crash seems to be "common".... so, these guys should at least be able to contact other dealers if they get stuck.

Damn, 338 minutes for MP3 update??? That's worrying, because I also asked for that update. Funny thing is, they seemed a little surprised at my request for MP3 capability and hints I gave them that I know exactly what I want... they initially said MP3 will be automatically fixed with CIP 20... but armed with E90Post knowledge, I told them it's not automatic, they have to do that MP3 update as a specific step... they said they will go and find out..... that's when I started to get worried .

I will just have to wait and see .... and I will definitely report back on this thread, as soon as I get my car back.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

geez sorry to read about your frustration. these updates, although useful when successfully installed seem to be more trouble than their worth.

in 2006 to have software updates take so long to install must tell you about the lack of forward thinking even for bmw; a real surprise.

so fleet, do you know why it take such a long time to update?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
My E90 is scheduled for the update on Jan 30. They normally do pickup and delivery for me... but I said this time I'll bring it down and I want a loaner. I know how software updates can go!

Let us know the results? What was your reason for the update?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Could be issues like they had with CIP 19.xx

Not saying it is this same issue but.... This was an issue on CIP 19.xx
Nothing out YET on CIP (PROGMAN) 20.xx

SI B 09 11 05
Programming/Coding Explanations December 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
CCC Fails to Program with CIP 19.x

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
While updating the software on the CCC (Car Communication Computer), one or more of the CCC components fails to program. Various CoApi fault codes are displayed in the Final Report. It is no longer possible to communicate with or reprogram the module using CIP. No sub menus are displayed in CIP when the control module text is displayed in red.

CAUSE
CIP application logistics error.

PROCEDURE

Perform a battery reset on the vehicle for 15 minutes.

Restart CIP and when asked "Have control modules been replaced?" Answer "Yes" and mark off all 5 components of the CCC.

Follow the CIP prompts until programming is finished.

If programming still does not complete successfully, submit FASTA data along with a PuMA case to the Electrical Group Hotline.

With the release of Progman 20.00.00 this error has been corrected.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code Refer to KSD

Labor Operation: Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance: Refer to KSD
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Same thing happened here. Crashed three times, and I was without my car for two days. Dealer had to get on the phone with some hq, either here or in Germany to walk them through it. Knock on wood, everything seems to be working fine...
      01-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Let us know the results? What was your reason for the update?
I took the car in to get the following resolved:

1. Bluetooth hangs sometimes. I'm using a Motorola V3 cellphone. The last time this happened was around October 2005 though.

2. ELV (Electric Steering Lock) malfunction. Car could not start. This happened once.

3. Boot couldn't lock. Only happened once.

4. iDrive screen goes blank and restarts on its own. Only happened once.

5. iDrive does not respond sometimes or is very slow.

6. The display on iDrive displayed "Kommunikation" instead of Communication. Happened only once.

7. The radio continues to play CD's even if the car and radio are switched off and there is no sound coming from the speakers. If I switch off the car and radio while a CD is playing track 5 on a CD, when I come back, the car will start playing track 6 or 7 or higher, indicating that it continued playing while "off".

8. Instead of steadily focussing down while reverse gear is engaged, the passenger rear view mirror goes up and down. This does not happen all the time.

Other non-software issues I reported are:
1. The rubber sealing the lower edge of the rear screen is coming off. The whole bottom section of the rear screen needs to be glued again. I saw this in the 3rd week of ownership. I pushed the plastic into position, but it is now peeling off again.

2. The wipers give screechy noise after about 5 or more wipes. They leave a mark on the windscreen, where the left wiper stops.

3. There is a pulsating action on the break and clutch pedals while the wipers are in operation. This happens exactly at the same time with the wiper movement. This is easier to feel when the car is standstill and you depress the clutch/break pedal.

4. There is a rattle that seems to come from the back of the car somewhere in the roof. It happens intermittently, and does not always happen when driving on uneven roads.

5. Steering wheel sometimes gives a "rubbing" noise when turning while parking the car. It's as if the steering wheel is rubbing against something. This happens intermittently.

6. Braking makes noise when coming to a complete stop. This happens intermittently, not all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #11
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Mine took two weeks. Pre Sept. 330i, non- iDrive. My car is no different from before. At least I got to drive an X3 for two weeks during the holiday, which worked out perfectly for transporting gifts, the tree, and people. I couldn't have planned it better. (They originally told me one afternoon! Yeah, right.!)
      01-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #12
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
I took the car in to get the following resolved:

1. Bluetooth hangs sometimes. I'm using a Motorola V3 cellphone. The last time this happened was around October 2005 though.

2. ELV (Electric Steering Lock) malfunction. Car could not start. This happened once.

3. Boot couldn't lock. Only happened once.

4. iDrive screen goes blank and restarts on its own. Only happened once.

5. iDrive does not respond sometimes or is very slow.

6. The display on iDrive displayed "Kommunikation" instead of Communication. Happened only once.

7. The radio continues to play CD's even if the car and radio are switched off and there is no sound coming from the speakers. If I switch off the car and radio while a CD is playing track 5 on a CD, when I come back, the car will start playing track 6 or 7 or higher, indicating that it continued playing while "off".

8. Instead of steadily focussing down while reverse gear is engaged, the passenger rear view mirror goes up and down. This does not happen all the time.

1. The rubber sealing the lower edge of the rear screen is coming off. The whole bottom section of the rear screen needs to be glued again. I saw this in the 3rd week of ownership. I pushed the plastic into position, but it is now peeling off again.

2. The wipers give screechy noise after about 5 or more wipes. They leave a mark on the windscreen, where the left wiper stops.

3. There is a pulsating action on the break and clutch pedals while the wipers are in operation. This happens exactly at the same time with the wiper movement. This is easier to feel when the car is standstill and you depress the clutch/break pedal.

4. There is a rattle that seems to come from the back of the car somewhere in the roof. It happens intermittently, and does not always happen when driving on uneven roads.

5. Steering wheel sometimes gives a "rubbing" noise when turning while parking the car. It's as if the steering wheel is rubbing against something. This happens intermittently.

6. Braking makes noise when coming to a complete stop. This happens intermittently, not all the time.
I´ve also felt a pulsating action on break and clutch pedals when the wipers are moving. Some people have it, some don´t.
Please keep us posted..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
bmw < electrical/technology

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
I got my car back today, but the work to be done on the car is not complete :mad: .

I just asked to get the car for the weekend, and then I will return it on Tuesday.

They did assure me that the troublesome CIP 20 update was succesfully completed . They also fixed all the other things I reported... but I discovered that the wiper & pulsating pedals issue is still there... and so is the rattle I reported :mad: .

According to them, the only thing outstanding is the MP3 support. Apparently they have to replace some parts on the radio/CD unit. These parts were ordered and will be delivered on Monday afternoon. Because of this, the radio/CD does not play.... all I have is an iDrive screen that displays the BMW logo for about 2 minutes and then a Blank screen... then the BMW logo, etc

For now, there is no audio.... and that results in the following:
1. No seatbelt chime ... but I'm sure it will come back when they complete the radio update.
2. No PDC beep either.
3. No CD/Radio sound.

I'm currently enjoying the absolutely fabulous soundtrack from the exhaust .... well, I don't have a choice, do I?

Can't wait for Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good to hear you got the car for the weekend

Must have been that module that was causing the crashing.

I think the pulsating pedal with wipers is part of the design, and not something they can change.

Rattles are difficult to fix if they dont occur all the time.
Best always is to have someone drive with you and they must track down exactly were it is comming from, and if you cant fix it yourself ask the dealer too look at that exact spot
      01-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Good to hear you got the car for the weekend

Must have been that module that was causing the crashing.

I think the pulsating pedal with wipers is part of the design, and not something they can change.

Rattles are difficult to fix if they dont occur all the time.
Best always is to have someone drive with you and they must track down exactly were it is comming from, and if you cant fix it yourself ask the dealer too look at that exact spot
Thanks Fleet.

I'm not too worried about the rattle, because it's faint.... in the long-term, I will try to locate it as you suggested... thanks.

If they fix the noisy wipers for good, I will be happy... the pulsating pedals are not so bad, but they are intolerable when the wipers are also making their own noise against the windscreen :mad: .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Here is my sad update:

My CIP 20 & MP3 update's still not complete. Here is what happened:
1. Dropped my car on Tuesday as instructed on Friday.

2. Asked for the SA who assisted me last week. I was told that he had not come in yet.

3. Another SA says everybody says they know nothing about ordered parts and what needs to be done on my car. I waited for more that 30 minutes and decided to leave.

4. Called later to find out if they had started working on the car.

5. I was told that they cannot start until my SA from last week arrives, because they couldn't find the Job Card from last week...they have no clue what was done and what is still outstanding. I asked them to arrange transport so that I could fetch my car.

6. Went to the dealership, and asked politely to see the manager. I didn't show any signs of irritation, hoping that this will help.

7. The service manager didn't even try to come out of his office. I guess he's too important to worry about customers.

8. Message from Manager was that he couldn't get hold of the SA, as the guy apparently didn't answer calls.... but I had asked to see him(the manager).... I didn't ask for the his SA who went AWOL

9. I tell the other SA who went to call the manager that I cannot leave my car when they don't even know when will the other SA come back. What if he comes back next week?

10. SA checks in the systems and finds a few lines of things that needed to be done on my car, but there is no mention of CIP 20 or MP3 update. I then told him that I brought a list of about 12 faults that must be fixed. The guy says it was not captured in the system, and it should have been.... that's why they can't see what was done and what is still outstanding.

11. Out of anger, I then asked them to give me a report of what has been done so that I can take my car elsewhere for completion of the update. They said I should wait until this SA is back because they don't have it, duh .

...basically they can't help me because there are no records...I know I will have to lay a complaint with BMW SA, but I just want to get my update completed NOW without any hassles.

I will try again today (Wednesday).... hopefully the moron is back at work.

I've been servicing my cars in this dealership since 2000 without any hassles... this is the first time I receive such bad treatment... I guess it's time to move on to another dealer.

I will report back whenever my car gets the update completed :mad: .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
more and more stories I hear.
BMW service department isn't ANY better than a friggin KIA service department.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE:

Today is Wednesday.... still no luck. The SA is still not at work :mad: .

My next step is to send a very long email to the Saleslady from whom I bought the car.... I need a prayer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
The email I sent to the sales department helped. I listed all the facts so that the unprofessional manner in which I was treated could be clear for everyone to see... I omitted people's names in the email... I tried to be objective.... I left out my opinions about their service. I also indicated that if there is nobody who can help me, they must just write a report of what they did so that I can take my car to another dealer to complete the update... I'm sure they didn't like the sound of that.

I sent the email just before midnight on Wednesday last week. On Thursday morning, I received a call from the SA who had been absent from work..... he was all apologetic and stuff .... he also blamed the SA who couldn't help me in his absence... I told him that even his manager couldn't help me.

The Sales manager apologised and assured me that he will keep an eye on my car..... it's a little strange that I have to be assisted by the Sales manager instead of the Service Manager .... The service manager doesn't give a shit about customers .

Anway, the SA asked me to bring my car in on Friday. I brought it in, and they couldn't finish. He then arranged a loan car, which I'm still using... the other week he had arrogantly told me that there were no loan cars for the next 2 weeks , and there was nothing he could do for me.

Anyway, today he called me and said they are ordering a phone module. They wil receive it tomorrow afternoon. I might get my car on Wednesday afternoon.

It looks like I will get a car with a lot of brand new parts ... because he also told me that they ordered new parts for the problem
of noisy wipers.... ah well, I don't believe a word he tells me.... he had claimed that my wipers were fixed.... but I tested them in the rain last week, and they were still noisy as before.... when I told him this, he said they ordered new parts for that..... yeah right .

I will provide a status update on Wednesday.... hopefully my car will be back then.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Sorry to hear about all your problems thrill!! BMW service can sometimes REALLY suck - and then other times be really good.

When I still had my E46 - my airconditioner unit wouldn't turn off - even if I took the key out of the ignition. 2 BMW dealerships wouldn't even get someone to look at it, and insisted I book it in for a week later (which would be impossible as the running ac unit would definately run the battery flat). They made me so angry (especially seeing as I fixed it myself, by removing and reinserting the fuse) that I wrote a email to BMW SA about the experience. I recieved a letter of appology from BMW SA, Hyde Park Auto and JSN Motors - with an offer to get the car fixed.

Needless to say, with my E90 - HP still treats me like an idiot - and JSN knows me by name, and offers to kiss my feet everytime I bring my E90 into their parking lot (whether it be for touch up paint) or a vibration damper problem.

Sure enough, like cheese melts under heat: one day I will arive at JSN and they will once again refuse to look at my car (even if it's on fire) and tell me to book it in next week - the service advisor I usually deal with will be away or busy, and the manager will fob me off. There is no such thing as perfect service...it's hit and miss.

Your SA probably didn't even think about you, or that MAYBE he should leave some paperwork lying around. The service booking dept probably didn't even think to maybe call the workshop manager (because he might remeber a car crashing on him a week previous - and sending it out not working) but alas - no one uses their brains.

BMW is funny with their loaners - they don't have one, they can't get - but when you are ready to flip your lid and are going postal on them - suddenly they have 10 and you can chose your colour.

While I'm ranting about loaners: A Mini(CooperS)-driving friend of mine once went mad at them about a loaner (Auto Alpina Boxburg) and they leant him a CUSTOMERS 330i - at 5pm they were calling him, begging him for the car back- because the customer was there waiting for it (his mini was not going to be ready until the next day). I would die/kill if I found out they lent my car to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30

I have all these problems aswell. The wipers squeeking problem drives me mad (especially with all this rain lately) - if you get yours fixed: PLEASE tell me.

The noisy brakes (I was told) is from brake dust getting onto the disc which makes it squeek.

The rattle (which seems to happen more often when cold) I think is actually the body/rear windscreen being tensed as the metal retracts in the cold.

I also still have a clutch shudder. It's slight, and only happens on 1st gear pull of when the car is cold (ie my first pull off of the day - and MAYBE my second on the odd occasion - then it dissapears) Weird.

I hope the service gets better for you: but in the end, it's better to stick it out with one place (and write BMW SA emails). Eventually they'll have to get it right. Next stop: Dealer Principle - call and book an appointment.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Thanks Trill for the update.

Although my car came with MP3 compatibility (Nov 2005 delivery), it does not work properly. The monitor will display an arrow (up or down) indicating that there are more songs to browse. However, the iDrive knob becomes stiff as if it’s reached the end of selection.

My radio also continues to play CD's even if the car and radio are switched off.

Will wait for feedback from your side. My car is booked for next Friday to attend a lot of other issues. My worst annoyance is the squeaking driver’s seat!!!!

TD
2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 0