E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any word on the Turbo Upgrade?

07-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #45
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

first off, i'm no genius when it comes to transmissions, but aren't transmissions for diesel engines generally geared differently(taller i believe) to fit their powerband best. so i would think that the gearing for the 335i wouldn't work on the 320d that well.
also, doesn't the 320d have an inline4 diesel engine? maybe the transmission for the 335i is more costly or difficult to modify to work how it should for the diesel application(assuming im correct above) and bmw decided its easier and cheaper to source another transmission for that particular model?
thats the only thing i can come up based on what i know about transmissions why bmw decided not to use the same transmission. If im totally off then disregard my post and please dont flame me haha. im only trying to help. take care and everyone that resides in america, HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

teri

***EDIT**** sorry i didn't realize you guys were talking about the 335d...if that makes my post useless then please delete it :-)

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #46
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
How dumb are you? There is a 500 lb difference between the M5 and 335i, so the load that transmission sees is vastly different. The conversation is over and I am done arguing with someone that clearly knows nothing about cars. Happy 4th.
Are you 16 or something? Are you not able to have a discussion without getting aggitated and result to personal attacks? I asked a question to help me understand your reasoning that the trans in the 335 is capable, even though it isn't rated as such from ZF. But I guess you know more than they do being that you are 16 and know it all. ITS IN THE M5/M6 YO.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #47
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
first off, i'm no genius when it comes to transmissions, but aren't transmissions for diesel engines generally geared differently(taller i believe) to fit their powerband best. so i would think that the gearing for the 335i wouldn't work on the 320d that well.
also, doesn't the 320d have an inline4 diesel engine? maybe the transmission for the 335i is more costly or difficult to modify to work how it should for the diesel application(assuming im correct above) and bmw decided its easier and cheaper to source another transmission for that particular model?
thats the only thing i can come up based on what i know about transmissions why bmw decided not to use the same transmission. If im totally off then disregard my post and please dont flame me haha. im only trying to help. take care and everyone that resides in america, HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

teri

***EDIT**** sorry i didn't realize you guys were talking about the 335d...if that makes my post useless then please delete it :-)
That is the kind of information I was looking for. Was it a design limitation that prevented them from using it. Or was it simply that ZF and BMW felt that 580 nm was too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #48
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
You are forgetting this is a DI motor!!!
DI only helps to a point,the stock turbos can make well over 400whp on c16 and 104/110 oct its the knock that is keeping it from making that power on regular gas.

the car was built with high compression in mind,heck it has the same compression as a e36 M3 and that car is NA.

I will put money down that you will not make that much more power with out lowering the compression ratio.alpina or one of those european companies put out a turbo kit and used a complete engine rebuild with lower comp pistons.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #49
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i View Post
That is the kind of information I was looking for. Was it a design limitation that prevented them from using it. Or was it simply that ZF and BMW felt that 580 nm was too much.
i can't speak for bmw or ZF, but i wouldn't be surprised if their decision to use two different trans is because of the design specifications for the two motors and their respective power bands. I dont know what it would take to change the gearing to suit the diesel so they could use the same trans as the 335i, but im leaning towards that there was another transmission out there that was built specifically for 335d motor or would work better with the power band than the trans in the 335i.

i can't say what the 335i trans can/should handle, but i believe bmw is smart enough to put a strong transmission in this car to take the beating from people who drive turbo charged vehicles. im pretty sure any business with any brains will not post the actual maximum limitations of their product. im betting they are down playing it just for liability on their part. we should also acknowledge that whenever modifying any part exceeding the published mechanical limitations, regardless of our beliefs, should take responsibility for our choices. I'm hoping bmw picked a strong tranny that can safely hold 450-500 rwhp/tq for the 335i or else my bank account in the future will hate me for it if a turbo kit ever does come out.

teri

***EDIT*** just to clarify, when i mention power band, i dont mean peak output of the two motors, im more so talking about the curve and the gearing best suited for it. hopefully someone with engineering back round will chime in so you can get solid answer.

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #50
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
This is truly one of the dumbest and most ignorant statments I have ever read. Guys like you are one of the reasons I almost stayed away from BMW. Fortunately, God attitudes like yours are rare in the 335 community.
Ok, so leave. I doubt anyone would care. Do you think you're the only one here that has ever had a 2JZ-GTE? Grow up. I'm a realist. You're an idiot. You'll create lots of posts about why there should be upgrades, but you will never do it yourself. You had a JDM car, where costs were insignificant compared to what it will cost to do repairs on this vehicle.

On a Supra, what was/is more expensive to replace?

A) The Japanese engine
B) The German Getrag V160 transmission

Answer = ?

Happy 4th
      07-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #51
Banker335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 335i

Speaking on the Trans for the 335i im sadd to report that this weekend my trans went from a slight slip/hop when i shifted fron 5th to 6th under WOT, To I no longer have Reverse, no longer have the use of DS mode, 2nd 3rd gear SLAM in and out of gear. once i got it into 4th After Very light Throtle i was able to pick up speed. 5th is also Compleatley gone. i was was able to get it into 6th and cruse home. I would have just got a tow but i was WAY to far from home and they would have takin me to some Dealer 200 miles from my house, "it was the closest" then i would have been stuck in a hotell for the weekend. and being that im in the army i had to get home for monday formation. so i pamper and pamperd to get it home tonight. i have alot of info to share if you have question.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #52
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Slightly OT, but are the transmissions made by GM (or a subsidiary)? I think I heard that, but not totally sure it was this particular transmission (for the 335i).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #53
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanny View Post
Slightly OT, but are the transmissions made by GM (or a subsidiary)? I think I heard that, but not totally sure it was this particular transmission (for the 335i).
328 is. ZF makes the 335 trans.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #54
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Ok, so leave. I doubt anyone would care. Do you think you're the only one here that has ever had a 2JZ-GTE? Grow up. I'm a realist. You're an idiot. You'll create lots of posts about why there should be upgrades, but you will never do it yourself. You had a JDM car, where costs were insignificant compared to what it will cost to do repairs on this vehicle.

On a Supra, what was/is more expensive to replace?

A) The Japanese engine
B) The German Getrag V160 transmission

Answer = ?

Happy 4th
Did you have to get off your high BMW horse to own a 2JZ?

Fact, I am not in the production business, but I am a consumer who desires products. The cost to replace parts on my last car was very expensive. Army, just understand from a fellow enthusiast that this car is no better than any other cars out there. It is a fantastic platform, but to talk down JDM is not a cool thing to do. That is all I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #55
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have to get off your high BMW horse to own a 2JZ?

Fact, I am not in the production business, but I am a consumer who desires products. The cost to replace parts on my last car was very expensive. Army, just understand from a fellow enthusiast that this car is no better than any other cars out there. It is a fantastic platform, but to talk down JDM is not a cool thing to do. That is all I am saying.
Hey man, I guess you must have misunderstood me. Let me clarify.

All I meant was that considering the costs that BMW charges for the parts on our cars, I can't see how a lot of people would be willing to do turbo upgrades unless the kit comes with some sort of warranty, like Dinan provides.

I love JDM vehicles. As soon as I got here, I was thinking about getting a S15 and building that up because its not expensive at all and would be a lot of fun. The only reason I don't have my Supra anymore is because BMW made the 335. I could care less about a V8 M3. When they produced a TT engine for the 3 series, I was sold.

As much as I would love to do the same things to this car that I have done to my JZA80, I honestly can't afford to spend $20k if something goes wrong. Some probably can, but most are in the same boat as me.

By the way, I apologize for calling you an idiot.
      07-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #56
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Didn't feel like reading through all the pages on this subject, but there's a company that does it over here in south Florida. Twin upgrade. Ship the car here and give it some time and $ and you can have an upgraded TT 3 on your hands.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #57
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Didn't feel like reading through all the pages on this subject, but there's a company that does it over here in south Florida. Twin upgrade. Ship the car here and give it some time and $ and you can have an upgraded TT 3 on your hands.
nice tease

details or fail
      07-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #58
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down41t View Post
Maybe he means VIP tuning? If so give me their address and i will ship my car there asap right after i
      07-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #59
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No, not VIP, Jacque wrecked my E90 335i. This company of which I speak is completely reliable. The do have one of the world's fastest Mercedes AMGs...335ihellraiser knows of whom I speak.

Let's just say Miami is where it's at .
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #60
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
nice tease

details or fail
Details or fail as I have a 500 hp 1967 Camaro with a 383 stroker. I like your avatar pic though.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #61
imaznumkay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

asr tuning? >_<
      07-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #62
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

asr engineering
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #63
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Hey man, I guess you must have misunderstood me. Let me clarify.

All I meant was that considering the costs that BMW charges for the parts on our cars, I can't see how a lot of people would be willing to do turbo upgrades unless the kit comes with some sort of warranty, like Dinan provides.

I love JDM vehicles. As soon as I got here, I was thinking about getting a S15 and building that up because its not expensive at all and would be a lot of fun. The only reason I don't have my Supra anymore is because BMW made the 335. I could care less about a V8 M3. When they produced a TT engine for the 3 series, I was sold.

As much as I would love to do the same things to this car that I have done to my JZA80, I honestly can't afford to spend $20k if something goes wrong. Some probably can, but most are in the same boat as me.

By the way, I apologize for calling you an idiot.
I do appreciate the apology.

No one really wants to spend a lot of money on repairs, but 400 rwhp reliable seems well within the realm of reality on this car with upgraded turbos and just a little fuel work.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #64
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Do you know what size turbos they use for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #65
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
asr engineering
So, why have we not seen anything about it from them or people who have it already?

Is it the underground florida grudge race keep it a secret thing?

Until there are details I have a hard time believing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #66
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So, why have we not seen anything about it from them or people who have it already?

Is it the underground florida grudge race keep it a secret thing?

Until there are details I have a hard time believing it.
Florida has a secret society to increase horsepower to compensate for temperature and humidity effects. At least we're at sea level (for now). If the whole world is let in on these changes, what would Floridians do to get their cars back to the same levels.....
Appreciate 0