BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Headlights on LCI

11-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #111
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Headlights on LCI

Was at the dealer today getting my winter tires put on. My service advisor and the tech both checked for a dealer software update on their backend system (not over the air). They confirmed I already have the latest available software (07/2022.57). They also confirmed BMW is not enabling anti-dazzle headlights and that they have no way of doing so.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #112
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
Was at the dealer today getting my winter tires put on. My service advisor and the tech both checked for a dealer software update on their backend system (not over the air). They confirmed I already have the latest available software (07/2022.57). They also confirmed BMW is not enabling anti-dazzle headlights and that they have no way of doing so.
That makes sense. BMW has never ever added a new feature via a software update even when the vehicle is mechanically able to do so. They will always want you to buy a new one to get new features. What they do is to keep producing the same vehicle, but only make newly produced vehicles able to do so. A good example is the 3D View the cluster for Drive assist pro in the 2019 X7 (it is capable of showing it, but they ignored it and only made it available starting 2020 MY even though the hardware is EXACTLY the same). You can code the 2019 to do so "and I did that", but BMW never enabled it through a software update even though a 2019 vehicle can have the same 2022 software version update as the 2020+ (but that feature never got unlocked). In 2020, they claimed it as a NEW FEATURE that only MY 2020 and after will be getting it. It is a marketing strategy to claim that newer vehicles are better. Hence, once BMW starts to deliver vehicles with anti-dazzle headlights, I guarantee you they will never open that feature for previously sold units. Hopefully we can code it by then if there is a way to code idrive 8. I am still interested in coding it on my pre-LCI but can't find a reputable coding path (those who tried it and worked are not sharing enough convincing info).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #113
makers46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i, Mercedes S550

Quote:
Just fyi. Picked up vehicle from service today and they updated the software to .59
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #114
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers46 View Post
Quote:
Just fyi. Picked up vehicle from service today and they updated the software to .59
Let us know if anything changes with your headlights. I'd honestly be surprised if they enabled anti-dazzle but it's not like BMW is the best with communication…
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 08:26 PM   #115
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers46 View Post
Quote:
Please update us with your headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 08:49 PM   #116
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So our guy K1984tx was able to send me some videos of his X7. It's legit. His X7's headlights are definitely anti-dazzling.

Will more than likely be at the dealer tomorrow picking up another car. Going to try and get some answers for us.
Appreciate 1
BMWX735.50
      11-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #117
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X7 x40i

Quote:
So our guy K1984tx was able to send me some videos of his X7. It's legit. His X7's headlights are definitely anti-dazzling.

Will more than likely be at the dealer tomorrow picking up another car. Going to try and get some answers for us.
I'll upload the short clips I have to YouTube tomorrow so I can share them with you guys. My X7 has no coding or after market changes to it, BMW is responsible for the anti-dazzle being activated. Went in for a flat tire and they caught the headlight recall and updated the software from 07/2022.39 to 07/2022.57 and I noticed the change that same night.
Appreciate 3
      11-14-2022, 01:49 AM   #118
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1984tx View Post
Quote:

I'll upload the short clips I have to YouTube tomorrow so I can share them with you guys. My X7 has no coding or after market changes to it, BMW is responsible for the anti-dazzle being activated. Went in for a flat tire and they caught the headlight recall and updated the software from 07/2022.39 to 07/2022.57 and I noticed the change that same night.

So my car was at the service center for various fault codes, trunk motor malfunction
They said there was a recall on headlights and they fixed it
How do I know if anti-dazzle had been activated? What are the pointers?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #119
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddno1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So my car was at the service center for various fault codes, trunk motor malfunction
They said there was a recall on headlights and they fixed it
How do I know if anti-dazzle had been activated? What are the pointers?
Drive around at night with auto high beam enabled. If anti-dazzle is enabled on your vehicle, the brights shouldn't fully turn off; instead, they'll turn off only the areas around a vehicle in front of you leaving the brights on and illuminating the sides. You can pull up anti-dazzle/matrix headlights on YouTube and see what it should look like. It's always amazed me that we haven't had this tech in the US. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the safety benefit.

Meanwhile, Honda Accords with their blinding ass, non-projector lights are allowed no issues. Just kills me…
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #120
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drive around at night with auto high beam enabled. If anti-dazzle is enabled on your vehicle, the brights shouldn't fully turn off; instead, they'll turn off only the areas around a vehicle in front of you leaving the brights on and illuminating the sides. You can pull up anti-dazzle/matrix headlights on YouTube and see what it should look like. It's always amazed me that we haven't had this tech in the US. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the safety benefit.

Meanwhile, Honda Accords with their blinding ass, non-projector lights are allowed no issues. Just kills me…
So I've uploaded the video to YouTube you guys to see. Like it said it isn't the best video I could have taken, but the 3 short clips will show you that the anti-dazzle is working, or at least a version of anti-dazzle. It appears that others on the forum have the same SW version as I do and their 2023 X7s don't do this, so my car may be a fluke, or part of some unknown beta test that BMW is secretly conducting, or who knows. All I know is that the car went into to BMW service with it off, and came back with anti-dazzle is on.

P.S. Hope I added the link correctly.

https://youtu.be/Ih1KKnqBq7c
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #121
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
So I've uploaded the video to YouTube you guys to see. Like it said it isn't the best video I could have taken, but the 3 short clips will show you that the anti-dazzle is working, or at least a version of anti-dazzle. It appears that others on the forum have the same SW version as I do and their 2023 X7s don't do this, so my car may be a fluke, or part of some unknown beta test that BMW is secretly conducting, or who knows. All I know is that the car went into to BMW service with it off, and came back with anti-dazzle is on.

https://youtu.be/Ih1KKnqBq7c
Yep. That’s it! The biggest tell tale sign besides the pattern of the lights is the fact that the high beam indicator in the dash does not go back to green at any point.

Currently in my LCI when I roll up on some one or someone is coming toward me the indicator goes back to green as the high beams shut off.

If the indicator stays blue this means that the high beams are on and doing its anti dazzle thing.

Nice! Now we just go to figure out how we all get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #122
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Quote:

Yep. That's it! The biggest tell tale sign besides the pattern of the lights is the fact that the high beam indicator in the dash does not go back to green at any point.

Currently in my LCI when I roll up on some one or someone is coming toward me the indicator goes back to green.

If the indicator stays blue this means that the high beams are on and doing its anti dazzle thing.

What SW version is your LCI running? coolerbythelake is running the same software as I am but his doesn't do it. Starting to think mine is a random lucky mistake.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #123
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What SW version is your LCI running? coolerbythelake is running the same software as I am but his doesn't do it. Starting to think mine is a random lucky mistake.
Just checked it’s 07/2022.57

Hey I noticed something in your video. Is the anti dazzle only working because you’re using driver assist plus?

Have you tried it just driving normally?

Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #124
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Yep. That’s it! The biggest tell tale sign besides the pattern of the lights is the fact that the high beam indicator in the dash does not go back to green at any point.

Currently in my LCI when I roll up on some one or someone is coming toward me the indicator goes back to green as the high beams shut off.

how fast are you going? the floor for NGHB is about 40mph.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #125
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Having the video is really helpful. I'll be down in Illinois at my dealer late this afternoon swapping our X5. I'll have one of the guys in service check through their channels and find out what's going on here.

We know there isn't a way to code iDrive 8 (at least not yet) so this is all on BMW. I told K1984tx to not let anyone touch that car with an update. Heck I'd be tempted to stick a paper saying "Do Not Update" on the steering wheel when being serviced LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #126
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Having the video is really helpful. I'll be down in Illinois at my dealer late this afternoon swapping our X5. I'll have one of the guys in service check through their channels and find out what's going on here.

We know there isn't a way to code iDrive 8 (at least not yet) so this is all on BMW. I told K1984tx to not let anyone touch that car with an update. Heck I'd be tempted to stick a paper saying "Do Not Update" on the steering wheel when being serviced LOL.
So I have read older (much older) posts that involve the anti dazzle on the X3…

Seems like they need to move the turn signal stalk in to activate the anti dazzle function. Now I have not tried this. So now I am wondering if this is why it’s working on the member that posted a video with the same version of software that mine has.

I’ll have to try it. I always just leave them in auto using the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. I have never tried pushing the stalk forward and leaving it there while driving.

I’m gonna be happy but feel stupid at the same time if this works.

I bet you that’s it and that’s why the hi beam indicator in the dashboard in the video stays blue and does not change to back to green when a vehicle approaches or you roll up on one.

Thoughts? This would make sense because you really don’t need the auto on off function if the vehicle is using the anti dazzle function. Just push it forward and let it do its thing.

Last edited by Ace6180G07; 11-14-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #127
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
So I have read older (much older) posts that involve the anti dazzle on the X3…

Seems like they need to move the turn signal stalk in to activate the anti dazzle function. Now I have not tried this. So now I am wondering if this is why it’s working on the member that posted a video with the same version of software that mine has.

I’ll have to try it. I always just leave them in auto using the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. I have never tried pushing the stalk forward and leaving it there while driving.

I’m gonna be happy but feel stupid at the same time if this works.

I bet you that’s it and that’s why the hi beam indicator in the dashboard in the video stays blue and does not change to back to green when a vehicle approaches or you roll up on one.

Thoughts? This would make sense because you really don’t need the auto on off function if the vehicle is using the anti dazzle function. Just push it forward and let it do its thing.
pretty sure he has it in auto mode, i think i can make out the A in the blue high beam signal.

auto mode is how its always worked on the G chassis. i had this coded on my X3. pushing the turn signal forward disables it, you get full on high beams regardless of the cars around you and the speed. fairly sure it has to operate that way as you need to be able to override it.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #128
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
pretty sure he has it in auto mode, i think i can make out the A in the blue high beam signal.

auto mode is how its always worked on the G chassis. i had this coded on my X3. pushing the turn signal forward disables it, you get full on high beams regardless of the cars around you and the speed. fairly sure it has to operate that way as you need to be able to override it.
Yes that would make sense to me also.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #129
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep

So let's see if I can answer everyone's questions in 1 post.

For Ace6180G07:
While I was using DAPP (Driver Assist Package Pro) when recording that video, it does it when driving without DAPP on as well. It's just easier to use DAPP while trying to film on the Highway. I don't have a mount to hold my phone for me while trying to make sure you can see the auto high beam icon in the instrument cluster as well as the headlight pattern on the road.

For Orient330iNYC:
It's hard to say at what speed it kicks on since I've never really paid a lot of attention to that. I do think it's somewhere between 35-40mph but I could be wrong. Interestingly though the anti-dazzle may only kick on going over 35-40mph (ish) but will stay on below those speeds. I've seen it stay active all the way down to about 15mph when I'm slowing down coming to a stop behind stopped traffic.

Also, the lights are in auto mode. I didn't have to do anything with the stalk itself other than pushing the auto high beam button at the end. Did that when I got that car back in Sept and it's been active ever since. With 07/2022.39, regular auto high beams would turn on when I wasn't around traffic. I didn't change anything or even have to push the button to re-enable auto high beams after the headlamp recall and update to 07/2022.57 for it to start anti-dazzling.

I hope that this info is helpful to y'all since I don't understand why my X7 can be running the same SW as others but have anti-dazzle on while you all don't have that feature. That being said, there are still plenty of issues in iDrive 8 that BMW needs to work on since its far from perfect. Hopefully they will continue to make periodic updates and improve the system and bring back old features they disabled for whatever reason.

I can push the stalk forward if I want to force the bright lights on which in turn disables the auto part. Once I turn off high beams I just tap the auto button to re-enable auto high beams. I've done that maybe twice since it got updated and it hasn't changed how the car behaves when it anti-dazzles.

For coolerbythelake:
While it's not entirely impossible to code iDrive 8, all the important stuff can't be coded. When I got my X7 I had my coder connect in and look around and the only thing he could do was change the system to remove the legal disclaimer at startup and add the tire temperature to the tire pressure monitoring system, everything else was completely locked down.

As with any SW update, any coding gets erased when the update happens, so when the car was updated by the dealership to .57, those 2 coding changes were wiped out and the entire system went to BMW's latest installed SW version, which was .57. I noticed immediately that the previous codes were erased since the legal disclaimer popped up the minute I turned on the car. I looked at the tire pressures right after and saw the temperature reading was also gone.

Since the anti-dazzle somehow came on, and I know the coders still don't have a way to enable any of the real features I want like: auto adjust speed while using DAPP, activating the variable light distribution pattern to remove that annoying dark spot in the low beams, and traffic light assist, I'm not letting anyone connect to my car and make changes unless they are 100% sure they can do it without messing up what BMW already gave me.

Last edited by K1984tx; 11-14-2022 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #130
RogueX7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe they downloaded the German firmware instead of the us spec for the headlights module. It could be that instead of software version of I drive itself.

Do you still see the "skyline" light pattern?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #131
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueX7 View Post
Maybe they downloaded the German firmware instead of the us spec for the headlights module. It could be that instead of software version of I drive itself.

Do you still see the "skyline" light pattern?
The "skyline" pattern is still there yes. I could be wrong but I think that has to do with the Variable Light Distribution feature, which is not active on US vehicles as far as I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #132
RogueX7
Enlisted Member
Rep

My wife haaaates that pattern. She says "it's always there where I need to see".
Appreciate 0