BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs. Tesla Model X for Family Use in Central Florida

04-22-2024, 06:33 PM   #23
overcooked
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i, 2024 X7 M60i

Model X’s material and build quality is not comparable to x7. The only selling point is that it offers very cheap horsepower.
But who needs that much power in a family vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:42 PM   #24
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcooked View Post
Model X’s material and build quality is not comparable to x7. The only selling point is that it offers very cheap horsepower.
But who needs that much power in a family vehicle?
I have heard that the electronics and software are top-of-the-line. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:47 PM   #25
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
I have heard that the electronics and software are top-of-the-line. Is that true?
I’d say they are.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:37 PM   #26
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I have both brands in my garage…. I can tell you one thing, the use-case for each is completely different.
If you are cross-shipping the X7 along with a Tesla car, you are probably confused about your use-case as I don’t see how they are comparable from a use-case prospective.

I’d still buy my X7 if time goes back but it’s probably my last, and I would also 100% still get my tesla if time goes back too.

For your specific use case, city driving, picking people up, etc, I would probably go 100% Telsa. Just much more comfortable and easier to ride for this application, much superior auto pilot and better software. It’s the ultimate daily driver. For road trips, spirited driving, and the fun of enjoying a super car in the form of an SUV, I’d pick the X7 M60. Again, I really don’t see any similarities between both. I’d make sure you rent either of them for 2 days before you decide though.
Appreciate 3
rjabend369.50
tatoweb69.00
      04-23-2024, 12:29 AM   #27
Mcouple
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I have both brands in my garage…. I can tell you one thing, the use-case for each is completely different.
If you are cross-shipping the X7 along with a Tesla car, you are probably confused about your use-case as I don’t see how they are comparable from a use-case prospective.

I’d still buy my X7 if time goes back but it’s probably my last, and I would also 100% still get my tesla if time goes back too.

For your specific use case, city driving, picking people up, etc, I would probably go 100% Telsa. Just much more comfortable and easier to ride for this application, much superior auto pilot and better software. It’s the ultimate daily driver. For road trips, spirited driving, and the fun of enjoying a super car in the form of an SUV, I’d pick the X7 M60. Again, I really don’t see any similarities between both. I’d make sure you rent either of them for 2 days before you decide though.
This is fantastic, thanks for your response. I agree renting these both for a couple of days is a smart move.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 04:14 AM   #28
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:

Nice rundown! Which one would you depend on for use in emergencies such as a Hurricane and possible evacuation? I suspect I know your answer, but wanted to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:38 AM   #29
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Power is a little less predictable. A thunder storm can knock it out at the wrong time. Also, in an evacuation, charging stations can get pretty busy.

PS- As the other poster pointed out, range is significantly less in a hot climate. I hadn't considered that and when everyone is evacuating there can be significant traffic jams. As an aside, I have to drive 15 miles in either direction to get off the beach onto the mainland so I am probably more sensitive than others. My X7 has a range of over 600 miles; at least double Tesla. There may come a time when there are an adequate number of charging stations and many may become somewhat independent by using gas-powered generator backup
600 miles? Maybe 550 from full to empty at mellow speeds. You can always throw in a 5G jug of fuel to go another 100 miles if push comes to shove.

Warm temps the Tesla does much better in than cold. Warm I can hit EPA ratings driving. Slow. Cold, I simply cannot.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:26 AM   #30
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
600 miles? Maybe 550 from full to empty at mellow speeds. You can always throw in a 5G jug of fuel to go another 100 miles if push comes to shove.

Warm temps the Tesla does much better in than cold. Warm I can hit EPA ratings driving. Slow. Cold, I simply cannot.
I think you are correct and I guess I saw some bad information on hot versus cold then. The X7 mileage I am quoting is from the vehicle instrument cluster readout. I guess it could be off by a little. Bottom line though is way better range.

Interesting article on the topic:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...timate-tested/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:06 PM   #31
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice rundown! Which one would you depend on for use in emergencies such as a Hurricane and possible evacuation? I suspect I know your answer, but wanted to confirm.

I really really have no idea as I never had to deal with a situation like that. But... what I can tell you is the following: My tesla is always, always 80% charged at any-point of time in my garage because it's always plugged in and ready to go with full or near-full battery (I keep my EV at 80% charge limit). Since I drive a Tesla S with the smaller wheels, my range is 400 miles x 0.8 at the 80% charge level.
Any of my other ICE cars may have as low as 5% fuel or 99% fuel... It may or may not serve me when I need it.
I can use my Tesla to charge my phones, and there is a bunch of USB-C outlets that can also charge my laptop and/or iPad.
I can set in the car and turn the heat/cooling on for as long as I want in the garage with garage-doors closed.
Now, if I know that I need to leave town, am not sure, it will depend on how far am traveling and whether I believe that my next stop will have electricity/chargers or not. I never dealt with a situation that I need to drive 300-400 miles away to escape an emergencies (in that case I will for sure take my ICE car as I know I can get gas anywhere anytime to refuel)
Appreciate 1
rjabend369.50
      04-24-2024, 10:39 AM   #32
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Having survived Sandy on Long Island, I'll tell you that in case of a real emergency you are probably screwed either way, unless you are really, really ready beforehand. When the proverbial $#!+ hits the fan, there is no power, that means no power to charge EV, no power at the gas station pumps, so no gas as well. Everyone will run a generator, and you need gas for that. We had no gas deliveries for the first few days, the trucks just couldn't get in. Eventually, gas stations would get the fuel and they figured out how to run on generators, but no credit cards, so every transactions had to be cash, and you had to stand on hours long line - like in the 70's to get some gas (and there were rations too).

I don't think having EV and driving away couple of hundreds of miles and hoping to find a public charging station that actually works and it's not besieged by other EV drivers is the solution. But also, having ICE car and running out of gas because you didn't fill up or didn't have enough ready cans on hand is going to be helpful either. Having a realistic plan is the key. I had a full tank of gas, approx. 25 gallons of extra fuel, power generator and still, I found myself no adequately ready for a real emergency. Better of than most, but not really.

We look at emergency through a prism of one, max two day events. Well, Sandy was a real eye opener of what WILL happen when we can't get our crap together. So, just enjoy whatever vehicles you drive and let's not play table top exercises which ones you think are better in emergency.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 01:57 PM   #33
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

pretty much interesting how some of us living in states with stable power and no historical outages just never ever factored in emergencies anyway as a part of our car purchase decision making process, or even our daily life. I probably factor in I have enough fertilizer izer for next season than making sure I have some fuel reserve for my lawn tractor, lol.

PV solar panels with battery storage seem to be the ideal answer for some of you guys living in areas with high risk of power loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:44 AM   #34
slowalp
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Alpina XB7

I have a Tesla and an X7. The Tesla's primary use case is city driving, and short road trips ( < 4 hours). When using the Tesla in this fashion, you dont even notice you own an electric car (other than never stopping for gas, better software, or the insane acceleration).

The X7 is for family road trips, shopping, and when we need to haul around more than 4 people.

As electrification adoption matures, we may see more of these types of mixed car familes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:09 AM   #35
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
"no power at the gas station pumps, so no gas as well."

In my area, many of the gas stations have backup power for the gas pumps. The generator power for that is small compared to that required for a row of vehicle charging stations.
I am sure things will improve for electric vehicles if we continue down the current path.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:16 AM   #36
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It’s not even close to what fuel source is significantly more reliable and available in times of emergency. I live rural though multiple power outages a year from storms and blizzards. Gas can always be stored more easily as a backup fuel. Even traveling to get gas in fuel cans outside the devastated area is significantly easy to transport and store.
You can add 2 gallons of gas along the highway (or anywhere) in under 4 minutes and be on your way. Just think how the military or emergency vehicles operate outside the grid of civilization.
Even our farms fuel storage tanks have hand pumps in case of power failure.
Gasoline and diesel vehicles were designed in a world before electricity was even available to most rural Farms.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-25-2024 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 02:25 PM   #37
SoCal CFP
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X7 M60i

i was seriously considering getting a Model X. i called my cousin who owns one and he said to get the BMW X7, stating i wouldn't be happy with the Model X as i was accustomed to the interior luxury and driving characteristics of my BMW's. I ordered 2 X7's, one 40i and a M60i. i get just over 400 miles per tank driving at 75 to 80 mph through the desert on my M60i. LA to St George Ut. i was truly surprised i can make it on one tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #38
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My personal opinion, if I live in area wherein electricity outages and emergencies are that bad and often (multiples a year) that may cause me to even run out of charge on my 400 miles EV before I can re-charge it, than I'd be more worried that am living in the wrong area or made a bad decision living there, than the decision of buying the wrong car technology. Just my 2 cents.

Just like others mentioned, for city driving, and road trips up to 4 hours, EVs win hands down 100% of the time. It's only when am traveling >4 hours or taking >5 people that I'll consider taking my X7 instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:30 PM   #39
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal CFP View Post
i was seriously considering getting a Model X. i called my cousin who owns one and he said to get the BMW X7, stating i wouldn't be happy with the Model X as i was accustomed to the interior luxury and driving characteristics of my BMW's. I ordered 2 X7's, one 40i and a M60i. i get just over 400 miles per tank driving at 75 to 80 mph through the desert on my M60i. LA to St George Ut. i was truly surprised i can make it on one tank.
I had the same exact concerns and was told the same exact thing. I pulled the trigger because I still have a good number of luxury cars so the risk on my end was zero cause it was not like (either or). Once I got the EV, I realized how superior the ownership of a good EV is, and that the reasons that I thought I'd rather take one of my luxury german cars instead as a daily drive don't really matter compared to the fun and convenience of taking an EV for a spin. That's probably true if you can own both at the same time. Not sure how I'd have felt if I needed to choose one. Let's not forget that if someone really cares about luxury, the i7 is an awesome car but man I hate that front end and the range is just a joke.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:48 PM   #40
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
My personal opinion, if I live in area wherein electricity outages and emergencies are that bad and often (multiples a year) that may cause me to even run out of charge on my 400 miles EV before I can re-charge it, than I'd be more worried that am living in the wrong area or made a bad decision living there, than the decision of buying the wrong car technology. Just my 2 cents.

Just like others mentioned, for city driving, and road trips up to 4 hours, EVs win hands down 100% of the time. It's only when am traveling >4 hours or taking >5 people that I'll consider taking my X7 instead.
Does your EV provide the same level of comfort, convenience and road noise isolation as the X7?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:59 PM   #41
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
Does your EV provide the same level of comfort, convenience and road noise isolation as the X7?
I will be honest and I have no reason to be biased or dishonest as I love both brands, really, and I own both (well, I actually have 2 BMWs in my garage).

Neither of these cars your referenced (X7 or Tesla Model S) provide me the level of noise isolation and comfort compared to my Mbenz S-class. So in that sense, they are both well below what I considered the standard or optimal after being in an S-class. My X7 wins in noise isolation compared to my Tesla if we are just comparing these too, but it's still NOT a well isolated car anyway by default being an SUV. Comfort? Actually my Tesla seats are way more comfortable (same for my wife), and the suspensions are dialed in so perfectly as a Sedan (If I had the model X probably the X7 wins, but the Model S is such a comfortable car on the road with full adaptive suspension it has yet being a sedan).

As for convenience, oh man... There is just no comparison. The fact that I don't need to touch any button, even the gear selectors automatically choose what is right for me (R or D) when I start the drive, it is the true convenience level that you won't experience in any other car like Tesla does. The maps are so well dialed in, no crappy carplay loading time or issues, it's all by the car software which is the best I've seen in the industry. Zero hassle with phone as a key and works much more accurately than my BMW... I can easily send map locations from my iPhone by sharing with the car and it will get it in less than 1 second, the map is smart enough that it learns where am going much better than CarPlay does...... Once you are done for the drive, open the door and leave, period. If you have the Model X, doors will open and/or close automatically (both front and rear) for you just as a Rolls-Royce would do. The new FSD V12 released just this month is phenomenal for city driving. So yes, it's a much well rounded car for city driving and less than 400 miles trips than any other car. Speaking about convenience, I also factor in the fact that every morning it is charged full, no gas or regular maintenance at all (not even annual service). I just like the ownership experience so much. In case of any minor issues, I submit a ticket via the app, and in a few days the remote service would come to my door fixing the car in my garage for any service they can do this way (You only go to service for things they already suspect it needs to be done at the shop). The car rarely ever brakes. On average my BMWs need 1-2 visits per year each for random stuff.

6K miles during the last 6 months on my Tesla, vs 3K on the BMW and 2K on the Benz. There is a reason the mileage distribution goes that way. Not for babysitting any of them, but I leave home everyday and there is always one car I know is ready for me immediately regardless. Even waiting for my wife and kids (as always!!) in the garage with garage doors closed, setting in the car waiting, and not being worried about gas/emissions accumulation in the garage sometimes is well worth it. Late for work.. no problem, I know there is only one out of these cars that can take a circle at full speed and yet without thronging my phone/bag all around the cabin, lol. It's the only car that makes me feel like I wanna take it for a fun spin at around midnight, or enjoy a very quite drive if I want. Maybe am biased, I don't know, but I don't think I am having both and loving all my cars the same way. But obviously there is one car among them that always serves me the best.

None of these cars is ideal though, I admit. My dream car is still a Bentley Flying Spur, but I trade my car faster than I change my shoes, so am not willing to lose so much depreciation money on a Bentley yet.

It does NOT have everything I need or want, but it has much more that compensates for everything else it lacks.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 04-25-2024 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
sharp115.50
      04-25-2024, 09:15 PM   #42
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Thanks for your detailed response, BMW5and7. Everything you said makes a lot of sense to me now.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71067.00
      04-25-2024, 09:45 PM   #43
Mikx7
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

Objective
2019 c&d published that the X7 40i (64 dB) was quieter than an '18 S450 by 2dB @ 70mph. (64 vs 66 dB)
2021 c&d: '21 s580 65dB @ 70 mph
2023 c&d: '23 x7 40i 62dB @ 70mph
2023 c&d: '23 maybach s-class 64dB @ 70mph
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 10:11 PM   #44
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikx7 View Post
Objective
2019 c&d published that the X7 40i (64 dB) was quieter than an '18 S450 by 2dB @ 70mph. (64 vs 66 dB)
2021 c&d: '21 s580 65dB @ 70 mph
2023 c&d: '23 x7 40i 62dB @ 70mph
2023 c&d: '23 maybach s-class 64dB @ 70mph

There is one reason why I considered all these measurements by Car and Driver to be laughable, useless and a joke. I realized that once I saw these results (below) posted by them, extremely laughable, indicating these measurements as truly useless and not even close to real-life experiences when comparing one car to another:
  • posted by C&D: 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450: 65 db --> lol, one of the noisiest cars I ever tested
  • posted by C&D: 2018 Lincoln Navigator: 66 db --> WHAT A JOKE HERE.. I owned this car (2019 specifically, same gen as 2018) and it is one of the worst cars I ever owned noise wise... this by itselfs tells me that all these numbers are useless. How come this car is almost as quite as an S-class and the X7.
  • posted by C&D: 2018 Tesla Model S 100D: 68 db --> This is the old Tesla chassis.. and they want to convince me that it's as good asa Rolls-royce and nearly as good as Mbenz isolation? Yeah okay.

Here is another master list by another company or group of people that do these tests, at least they are specialized in these comparison. At least these guys have aknowledged that the type of road and conditions may have an impact on some results so any car may have a true dB rating of a few dBs above/below the reports values, so it's probably still useless compared to real life experiences: https://carconfections.com/all-car-c...s-master-list/ The S-class is ranked right at the top.

These measurements aren't reliable when comparing cars that are both somewhat quite. Where they all tested on the same exact road and pavement? Absolutely not. Once you get to a noise level below a certain threshold, then the type of tires, their age, pavement and cars around would skew the results quite a bit and the test is no longer a true apple to apple comparison.

I take all these numbers with a grain of salt. Not sure how these measurements are done, again am sure they were not done under the same exact conditions, but I can only believe my own ears and driving experience. The S-class is quitter than the X7 only because of the form factor against the wind, and in windy conditions it is noticeability quiter really. The X7 is super super quite no doubt, but it's still an SUV and you can hear the wind hitting the windows. The "insulation" behind the doors and floor of the mbenz S-class is just next level, especially with how the windows are tight sealed against the door.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 04-25-2024 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0