forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Fire Stick

12-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
aw9nineteen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Fire Stick

Hey, has anyone used an amazon fire stick to play video with the rear seat entertainment option? I want to try to set it up for our next trip.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
Hey, has anyone used an amazon fire stick to play video with the rear seat entertainment option? I want to try to set it up for our next trip.

Thank you
Wouldn't see a reason why it doesn't work.

I just ordered a Roku stick which I'm planning on using (and has already be confirmed to work).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
aw9nineteen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:

Thank you

I just ordered a Roku stick which I'm planning on using (and has already be confirmed to work).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:

Thank you

Any reason you went roku over fire stick?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Any reason you went roku over fire stick?
I have four Rokus in my house hooked up to my TVs so it's a familiar system. Roku's apps pretty much cover all I need.

Although I own several Alexas as well, I never used a Fire TV unit so I just can't judge if it's better or not. Technically, though, I don't see a reason why one should work but not the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you
Just ordered one on Black Friday, so I'll let you know when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

I installed the Roku Stick+ in my M50. Plug it into HDMI port and power it by the USB-C connector below it. You can access it with the "HDMI" option on the RSE.

Only problem is that I could not connect it to the X7 wifi hotspot as it could not find the SSID. All other devices connect fine. Usually when this happens, you change the wifi channel the SSID is broadcast on, but you can't do that on the X7.

I just use an ATT Wifi HotSpot I already owned and have it plugged in the cargo area. Saves me from adding another phone-line for the BMW (once the trial expires) and its much faster since it supports 5GE.

Kids pop up Netflix, Youtube and all other Roku apps while driving with no issue. FYI tho, the RSE touchscreen does not manipulate the Roku screen, you need to use the remote for that.
Appreciate 1
760Lifan450.50
      12-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
I installed the Roku Stick+ in my M50. Plug it into HDMI port and power it by the USB-C connector below it. You can access it with the "HDMI" option on the RSE.

Only problem is that I could not connect it to the X7 wifi hotspot as it could not find the SSID. All other devices connect fine. Usually when this happens, you change the wifi channel the SSID is broadcast on, but you can't do that on the X7.

I just use an ATT Wifi HotSpot I already owned and have it plugged in the cargo area. Saves me from adding another phone-line for the BMW (once the trial expires) and its much faster since it supports 5GE.

Kids pop up Netflix, Youtube and all other Roku apps while driving with no issue. FYI tho, the RSE touchscreen does not manipulate the Roku screen, you need to use the remote for that.
Good to know. I have multiple firesticks and they work well at home. I was planning on skipping the RSE but will see what I can negotiate on the lease with and without it. Btw, I reached out to the guy you recommended at Park Ave this morning. Thanks.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's a bummer...

I just went ahead and ordered a Fire Stick on Amazon just in case I run into the same problem as you did. Hopefully, the Fire Stick can run on BMW's Hot Spot.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

Can you get VIM and firestick to the front as well or just the back?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Wish I would have seen this earlier. I keep getting audio dropouts with the fire stick. So I figured I'd try a roku and then it couldn't find the BMW....argh. I'll return it and try a new fire stick 4K and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Wish I would have seen this earlier. I keep getting audio dropouts with the fire stick. So I figured I'd try a roku and then it couldn't find the BMW....argh. I'll return it and try a new fire stick 4K and see how it goes.
Took back the Roku and got a Firestick 4K. Menus and response are much faster than regular Fire Stick but audio dropouts still happen every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am thinking of converting a large DVD/BR library to a mass storage device. I did this with a few movies on a 32gb stick but may go large scale.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Took back the Roku and got a Firestick 4K. Menus and response are much faster than regular Fire Stick but audio dropouts still happen every now and then.
I spoke with a friend here on Bimmerfest and he has dropouts too. Just inherent I guess but easily livable.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #14
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am thinking of converting a large DVD/BR library to a mass storage device. I did this with a few movies on a 32gb stick but may go large scale.
That's what I did. I have 4 or 5 thumb drives (USB A& C) plugged in the car and sitting in my center console. I basically have my entire media library from tv shows to movies to music on thumb drives in the car.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      09-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #15
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:
That's what I did. I have 4 or 5 thumb drives (USB A& C) plugged in the car and sitting in my center console. I basically have my entire media library from tv shows to movies to music on thumb drives in the car.
But why? Stream from home to the X7 using Plex.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Spotty cellular coverage in many areas. I ran into this on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #17
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do steam from Plex, Netflix and other media services. But my kids suck up so much data on my plan so I try to reduce my usage as much as I can. I know it unlimited data but last month I used 37GB of data and AT&T did slow me down a few times in certain areas. Plus streaming from a usb stick is more stable. I got a bunch of 256GB ones and filled them up.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #18
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do steam from Plex, Netflix and other media services. But my kids suck up so much data on my plan so I try to reduce my usage as much as I can. I know it unlimited data but last month I used 37GB of data and AT&T did slow me down a few times in certain areas. Plus streaming from a usb stick is more stable. I got a bunch of 256GB ones and filled them up.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What software did you use to convert your DVD’s? I have used a few but they can be on the slow side.
My kids generally watch Disney+ and Hulu on our trips. I use the ATT WiFi hotspot. I got a deal of unlimited for $15 a month. We ran 4 devices at the same time while streaming music. It was very solid from PA to Florida on omg last 2019 X5.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-13-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What software did you use to convert your DVD's? I have used a few but they can be on the slow side.
My kids generally watch Disney+ and Hulu on our trips. I use the ATT WiFi hotspot. I got a deal of unlimited for $15 a month. We ran 4 devices at the same time while streaming music. It was very solid from PA to Florida on omg last 2019 X5.
How did you get a $15/month deal on unlimited prepaid? I got them to bring me down to $20/month for unlimited prepaid because they messed up my account, so this was their way of making it up to me. Let me know what trick u used. Maybe I can get them down further.

I use MakeMKV to rip the movies from DVDs and Blu-rays. I then use Handbrake to shrink the file size and adjust the aspect ratio. They are both free. MakeMKV is pretty fast, but conversion through handbrake is very slow. I usually put a few in the queue and let it run overnight.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How did you get a $15/month deal on unlimited prepaid? I got them to bring me down to $20/month for unlimited prepaid because they messed up my account, so this was their way of making it up to me. Let me know what trick u used. Maybe I can get them down further.

I use MakeMKV to rip the movies from DVDs and Blu-rays. I then use Handbrake to shrink the file size and adjust the aspect ratio. They are both free. MakeMKV is pretty fast, but conversion through handbrake is very slow. I usually put a few in the queue and let it run overnight.
I got on a promotion that was advertised on the forum last year. A few of us grabbed it and are locked in. They will do these promotions every year but you have to check often.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #22
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I got on a promotion that was advertised on the forum last year. A few of us grabbed it and are locked in. They will do these promotions every year but you have to check often.
Thanks for the info. Where should I check? Where do they advertise these promotions?
Appreciate 0