BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum The X7 Won't Turn Off In My Own Garage Without Being Locked?

09-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #23
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihdihd View Post
I’m having a lot of trouble with this one after having read the full thread.

Sequence:

1. Pull into garage
2. Push start / stop once- engine stops- I drive stays on
3. Engage parking brake
4. Everyone gets out from various doors
5. All doors closed, key in charger slot of car (we keep it there all time
6. I drive, radio, seat massagers and iPads stay on

Check in 30 mins- no change.

As of now the only way I have found to turn off I drive is to lock the car or push and hold down the volume / power button manually.

Setting are set to (unchecked) lock vehicle after exit
And (checked) turn off car after exit and all passengers left

What am I missing?
My take on that, if you are leaving the key inside the car, it thinks YOU are still inside the car, and haven't exited. Even if you open and close any or all doors. AFAIK, the vehicle doesn't have any sensor or sonar in the cabin to determine "have all occupants left the vehicle?"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #24
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

You should always lock your doors, even in your garage (10 years as an auto claims adjuster taught me that). Also, note that if you have a child seat (infant, convertible or booster) the car senses the weight and will not turn off iDrive fully. Took me about a month after getting my G01 to get used to this, my F25 and F15 were the older, push start twice to turn off style.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
Ihdihd
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
You should always lock your doors, even in your garage (10 years as an auto claims adjuster taught me that). Also, note that if you have a child seat (infant, convertible or booster) the car senses the weight and will not turn off iDrive fully. Took me about a month after getting my G01 to get used to this, my F25 and F15 were the older, push start twice to turn off style.
Thanks, I do think there's more to it - Even if the key was removed from the car, the car wouldn't sense the removal event until after the doors have all been opened AND occupants left the car. So if the car does turn off when the doors open - which it sometimes does - then its the door opening that does turns off Idrive, not the key leaving the vehicle, nor the pressure sensors in the seats (which are there) telling the car that load is off the vehicle.

As for car seats maintaining permanent pressure - that's an interesting one I have to play with - we do have car seats in the car.

As for the car being stolen / kids accidentally driving it off - the keys are equally accessible whether in the car or not (especially with the digital key), and the garage in my home equally secure to other areas in the home where the key would otherwise be. Ultimately the biggest safety net is that all my neighbors have much more hackable P100Ds sitting in their garages and you don't even need a key to pull that one off

It's a bit more risk for sure, but one I'm willing to mitigate, transfer, and ultimately accept parts of.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #26
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I have it where my car shuts off everything inside as soon as I get out. But for some reason my headlights won't turn off half the time. I came back to check to see if they were still on 10 mins later. Yep. Still on. I have to lock the door to get them to turn off. Very frustrating. I never need to lock my door in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:

Sequence:

1. Pull into garage
3. Engage parking brake

As of now the only way I have found to turn off I drive is to lock the car or push and hold down the volume / power button manually.

What am I missing?
I am having the same problem... I'm starting to wonder if the box of stuff I keep in my passenger seats is making the car think someone is still sitting there!? Also my car locked with my keys in it the other day. Luckily I could unlock with my phone app
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #28
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaykoehler View Post
I am having the same problem... I'm starting to wonder if the box of stuff I keep in my passenger seats is making the car think someone is still sitting there!? Also my car locked with my keys in it the other day. Luckily I could unlock with my phone app
That’s absolutely it. The car is sensing someone is still in there and that’s why it keeps the electronics on. Similar to when you get out to fill gas, if you have passengers, it will do the same thing. Took me forever to figure it out too lol. In fact, I’ve had 2 cars before this current one and never realized that’s what it was doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #29
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
1. Pull into your garage
2. Press Start/Stop button (only once)
3. Music will stop once everyone opens their door
4. No need to lock the doors
^
The car knows how many passengers were in the car and will only shut the music off after everyone opens their door. I thought it was neat when I figured that out.
same for my M340i . i have it on locking when walk away so i always lock my car even in garage
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #30
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I think you need to do the latest software update in your car and that will fix the issue. I had the same problem, took the car into BMW and that fixed the issue. Needed to leave it there overnight they said as the updates are taking a long time to run.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #31
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Is there any fix for this? I have car seats in the car and I’d rather not have to lock the car when it is in my garage to get everything shut off.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #32
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presplan View Post
I think you need to do the latest software update in your car and that will fix the issue. I had the same problem, took the car into BMW and that fixed the issue. Needed to leave it there overnight they said as the updates are taking a long time to run.
I just picked up my 2020 X7 and it has this issue.

What’s the software version that has the fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
Yesterday I was on the phone connected to Apple Car Play. Turned the car off, it said Goodbye on the screen and I went inside. 5 minutes later my son came home from work and said did you know your car is still on? Went to the garage, still on my call, did everything I could think of to turn the car off, including locking the door. I had to end my phone call and then the car shut down!! Surely that can't be right?! Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #34
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Mine still does this and I have 07.2020.30. I have it where the car locks as soon as I walk away, so it's not a problem anymore. But if you don't have that enabled, someone from BMW told me you can hold down the volume button for a few seconds and the car with shut down. However, I believe the lights still stayed on unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #35
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone know how to turn off standby state or at least adjust the settings so the car shuts down sooner? I have not driven the car today, but I did leave my water bottle in there over the weekend. Went out to get it earlier, which started up the I drive stuff. Closed the door, didn't have my key on me and the car was still on. I came inside, set a timer for 15 minutes to go back and check. Car is still on. That's just crazy!! I'm always leaving stuff in the car so do not want to lock it every time I get out! Please tell me there is a fix for this!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #36
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Does anyone know how to turn off standby state or at least adjust the settings so the car shuts down sooner? I have not driven the car today, but I did leave my water bottle in there over the weekend. Went out to get it earlier, which started up the I drive stuff. Closed the door, didn't have my key on me and the car was still on. I came inside, set a timer for 15 minutes to go back and check. Car is still on. That's just crazy!! I'm always leaving stuff in the car so do not want to lock it every time I get out! Please tell me there is a fix for this!
When this happens, start your X7 (with the drivers door closed) then shut it off. When you open your door the system will shut down. We shouldn't have to do that but it was it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #37
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
When this happens, start your X7 (with the drivers door closed) then shut it off. When you open your door the system will shut down. We shouldn't have to do that but it was it is.
Do you mean every time or this will do something to make it stop happening?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #38
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean every time or this will do something to make it stop happening?
Anytime you find the system not shutting down you should do this procedure.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
LongDrinkofWater
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Thanks wrickem- that did the trick. Whew.

Agreed that everything is a little different, I will never forgive BMW for getting rid of the red/blue temperature wheel or burying the temperature "sync" button deep in menus (with no shortcuts possible, to make it even worse).
Believe it or not, there actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.

You're welcome.
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed that everything is a little different, I will never forgive BMW for getting rid of the red/blue temperature wheel or burying the temperature "sync" button deep in menus (with no shortcuts possible, to make it even worse).
Believe it or not, there actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.

You're welcome.
Hmmm…. I've tried this and can't get it to work! (Just picked up Monday and am sorting my way through all the tweaks and shortcuts… long road ahead!)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #40
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome.
You can also set sync as a favorite. It's my number 1 on the console. Faster than holding down
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #41
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
You can also set sync as a favorite. It's my number 1 on the console. Faster than holding down
Same here, number 1 for me too. It would have been nice to have a hard sync button.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #42
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Same here, number 1 for me too. It would have been nice to have a hard sync button.
Yup. With 5 different climate zones, a global “sync button” seems like a obvious implementation.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #43
Toga_Lock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:

Sequence:

1. Pull into garage
3. Engage parking brake

What am I missing?
If I had a guess, I would say your car still thinks you’re in it because you left the key.
Appreciate 0