BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which hatchback or SUV to get?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3029
Rep
8,058
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
chevy blazer
honda passport
Smaller than a Pathfinder? Those both seem like comical overkill unless OP has three plus toddlers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:36 AM   #24
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1656
Rep
2,697
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Tesla model X.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #25
GenXer
First Lieutenant
United_States
182
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I know you said no BMW but an X1 is no BMW. Think of it as a fancy Mini.

I owned one and I loved it as an all around utility vehicle. They are well built with lots of equipment even on a base model. My base X1 was AWD and came with panoramic roof, heated seats and heated steering. It's look great and has a lot of pep.

It's also practical, and just as boring as a Mazda but roomier. The back seat has as much leg room as a limo and the AWD is infinitely superior to a Mazda set up.
Watch an AWD testing on Youtube for comparison.

You can even get a CPO in the $20's with warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

We went out & checked out some vehicles yesterday. First was the Kona. Talk about hot garbage. Neither of us liked it as soon as we sat in it. Hard pass. Too cheap looking & feeling. Then we drove a new Tucson. Not bad, but noisy inside.

Went over to Chevy and laughed at the Blazer being $40k with cloth. Hard pass. Then the Equinox was $39k, but at least with leather. Still hard pass. Drove a Cruze hatch and she liked it. Not bad interior for a cheap econobox either. I was actually going to lease one a couple years ago to use as a beater, but VW offered a too good to pass up deal on the Jetta so I got that.

Finally, we went over to Mazda to check out the CX-5 & 3 hatch. CX-5 is the winner. My only complaint w/the CX-5 is it needs more HP IMO. She really wants another SUV so the 3 is out. CX-5 is what she wants and I agree. There's a reason I have owned 5 Mazdas myself so far. Just wish their color palette was a little better.
Appreciate 1
eluded1655.50

      09-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
5294
Rep
11,044
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.Y.

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Smaller than a Pathfinder? Those both seem like comical overkill unless OP has three plus toddlers.
those 2 vehicles are smaller then pathfinder
some people prefer big cars regardless if they have children or not
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
bucketfoot
Lieutenant
United_States
137
Rep
498
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Centennial, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
My only complaint w/the CX-5 is it needs more HP IMO.
Before getting my X1 I would have been perfectly happy with the power the CX-5 has, as my prior daily driver bounced between a Pilot and a 4-banger Camry. I couldn't see myself in it as a DD anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate getting one for my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Just wish their color palette was a little better.
I agree, but I do think their soul red is one of the best looking reds available.

Overall it's a good choice that she should be quite happy with.
__________________
This post sent using 100% recycled electrons.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
41
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 528i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I leased 2016 Mazda CX-5 for 3 years. it was FWD with 2.5 liter engine. No issues with car and never took it to a dealer for any repairs. Had around 58K km when I returned it.
No complaints and I think it's a good choice
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #30
ntgarage44
Captain
ntgarage44's Avatar
United_States
701
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Sell the 124 she just bought, and use the extra budget to greatly expand your options. Unless this is a second girlfriend (no judgments!), or she really, really wants a 124/miata/vert. Plenty of hatches that would be just as fun to drive and can get by with only 1 car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #31
sethwas
Private First Class
30
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 228i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Girlfriend is selling her 2016 Pathfinder to get a smaller (No full size please) SUV or a hatchback car. Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list right now. No Nissan, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Audi etc b/c not owning that out of warranty.
That's sort of a very large spectrum of the market.
The CX-5 is a large SUV (its basially considered mid-size but there's no denying its not compact by any stretch). It's bigger than the X5 used to be. The CX3 however is a subcompact. There's no 'inbetween' like the CX4 that they get in china.

Normally I recommend the X1 (used or CPO) since it's really the right size/content. It has a massive interior too. Next would be the Nissan kicks as it also comes fully loaded for like $20k before taxes/fees.

Otherwise you can go up in size to a Honda Passport (shrunken Pilot) or down a size to a Subaru Crosstrek (which is just an impreza with a lift kit).

Hyundai's and Kia's are super pretty now.

It just depends on whether you are really buying this for size/specs or just for looks. At the end of the day they all hold 4 people and some stuff (being an SUV doesn't mean they do cargo well because the trunk space behind the seat and below the headrests is usually significantly smaller than a sedan of similar size).
Most people just buy the SUV on looks and price (sometimes brand loyalty), which isn't a bad thing since that's how most people car shop anyway.


Quote:
However, if the lease deal is right, they would be on the table. For a used purchase, the budget is $20k or less. For a new lease, under $300 per month. She prefers AWD/4WD, but not a requirement if she really likes it otherwise.
Well - there really isn't anything in the sub $300 for a lease for SUV's of any size (I'm including taxes and assuming 0 down - even in the super cheap stuff). So you're better off buying used.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #32
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
That's sort of a very large spectrum of the market.
The CX-5 is a large SUV (its basially considered mid-size but there's no denying its not compact by any stretch). It's bigger than the X5 used to be. The CX3 however is a subcompact. There's no 'inbetween' like the CX4 that they get in china.

Normally I recommend the X1 (used or CPO) since it's really the right size/content. It has a massive interior too. Next would be the Nissan kicks as it also comes fully loaded for like $20k before taxes/fees.

Otherwise you can go up in size to a Honda Passport (shrunken Pilot) or down a size to a Subaru Crosstrek (which is just an impreza with a lift kit).

Hyundai's and Kia's are super pretty now.

It just depends on whether you are really buying this for size/specs or just for looks. At the end of the day they all hold 4 people and some stuff (being an SUV doesn't mean they do cargo well because the trunk space behind the seat and below the headrests is usually significantly smaller than a sedan of similar size).
Most people just buy the SUV on looks and price (sometimes brand loyalty), which isn't a bad thing since that's how most people car shop anyway.




Well - there really isn't anything in the sub $300 for a lease for SUV's of any size (I'm including taxes and assuming 0 down - even in the super cheap stuff). So you're better off buying used.

Seth
Can get a Cx-5 right around $300 per mo on a lease. We're definitely going CX-5. Just figuring out if she wants the extra HP of the upper trims or not. The Touring w/Preferred pkg is the best value, though. *I* would want the extra HP, but it's not for me & that trim is $100+ more per mo...

Buying used = same cost per month so may as well lease new.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #33
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Sell the 124 she just bought, and use the extra budget to greatly expand your options. Unless this is a second girlfriend (no judgments!), or she really, really wants a 124/miata/vert. Plenty of hatches that would be just as fun to drive and can get by with only 1 car.
lol she does not want a hatch & she loves the 124 as do I. No longer need a giant SUV so...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3367
Rep
3,049
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

New Rav-4, CX-5, CRV are the best in class. Honda's prices are higher leases aren't as competitive.

I'm personally biased toward Toyota since it's the "safer" choice (well-known brand, you know what your'e getting). But the CX-5 is very attractive inside and out.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #35
sethwas
Private First Class
30
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 228i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Can get a Cx-5 right around $300 per mo on a lease. We're definitely going CX-5. Just figuring out if she wants the extra HP of the upper trims or not. The Touring w/Preferred pkg is the best value, though. *I* would want the extra HP, but it's not for me & that trim is $100+ more per mo...

Buying used = same cost per month so may as well lease new.
Wow, a CX5 for all-in only $300 a month just sign and drive? You should definitely jump on that. I've never seen prices that low without lots due at signing.

The only difference in buying used and leasing is that you get to keep the car when the term is up vs. giving it back

Seth
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #36
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Wow, a CX5 for all-in only $300 a month just sign and drive? You should definitely jump on that. I've never seen prices that low without lots due at signing.

The only difference in buying used and leasing is that you get to keep the car when the term is up vs. giving it back

Seth
You can still buy a car @ lease end. She doesn't plan to keep it long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #37
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
845
Rep
1,562
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

I cross shopped a CX-5 with a VW Golf Alltrack for my daughter. Two terrific vehicles, IMHO, for the price. A difficult choice. My daughter ended up selecting the VW because of the lower height and six year warranty.

The VW is a true unicorn. I have yet to see another and they are going to stop making/selling it at the end of this year. Highly rated by both Consumer Reports AND Car & Driver. Check it out. It is available with either a manual or an automated manual (DCT).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #38
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month with 0 down for a AWD CX-5 Touring w/preferred pkg in Soul Red over black. Also, got them to agree to the right number on her Pathfinder so don't have to worry about selling privately. Plan is to get the CX-5 tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
virtualbong's Avatar
64
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

VW Tiguan but a little too late.

The CX-5 is a nice looking SUV though
__________________
2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport (White/Brown) - 4/16/18 (Current)
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #40
sethwas
Private First Class
30
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 228i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
You can still buy a car @ lease end. She doesn't plan to keep it long term.
Keeping the car at the end of lease term costs extra. Keeping the car at the end of the finance term costs $0

Quote:
Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month
36 payments of only $325 for 36 months? On a car that was $35k OTD? that's an amazing deal.


Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 09-06-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
New2Roundel
Captain
265
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: Some fun stuff
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month with 0 down for a AWD CX-5 Touring w/preferred pkg in Soul Red over black. Also, got them to agree to the right number on her Pathfinder so don't have to worry about selling privately. Plan is to get the CX-5 tomorrow.
Did you opt for the CX-5 with the turbo 4-cyl? That should address your issues with power.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #42
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Did you opt for the CX-5 with the turbo 4-cyl? That should address your issues with power.
No, that is the Reserve or Signature trim for $500+ per month. Too much extra $ just for power not needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #43
FuriouslyFast
Tuna, no crust.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & TL
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Keeping the car at the end of lease term costs extra. Keeping the car at the end of the finance term costs $0


36 payments of only $325 for 36 months? On a car that was $35k OTD? that's an amazing deal.


Seth
The selling $ is not $35k. It is sub $30k
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #44
sethwas
Private First Class
30
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 228i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
The selling $ is not $35k. It is sub $30k
Oh, sorry, for some reason I read above you got the nicest one they had that didn't have the 2.5T, and that to me was the regular touring which MSRP is about $32k which means the bank ends up leasing near $35k to you once all is said and done (taxes, fees, etc.).

Seth
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST