BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Laser Lights? Buyer's remorse...

09-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Laser Lights? Buyer's remorse...

I am having serious twinges of regret/annoyance that I can't get the laser lights on my x7, but if I had ordered an x5 or x6, I could have.

I'm in the US market, so I realize they would not have been fully enabled, but am I crazy for being kind of pissed about this?

I can't be the only one.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s View Post
I am having serious twinges of regret/annoyance that I can't get the laser lights on my x7, but if I had ordered an x5 or x6, I could have.

I'm in the US market, so I realize they would not have been fully enabled, but am I crazy for being kind of pissed about this?

I can't be the only one.
You realize that Laserlights are just for extended range high beams. The majority of the time you're driving around with LEDs due to ambient lighting.

One of the primary reasons people upgrade to Laserlights on X5/6 arefor the Iconic halo daytime running lamps versus the half halos with standard LED.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:

I can't be the only one.
A bmw corporate guy told me the usefulness of lasers in the us market is not better than led because limited to 300m range. I've sampled euro lasers on an i8 and it's awesome, but if limited to 300m, I'm not having remorse.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Thanks, guys.

On one hand, I live in a more rural area, so I do use my high beams a lot. I also half expect there to be a coding fix in a couple of years to allow euro spec.

On the other hand, high beams only shouldn't be THAT big a deal, and my halos will look just fine with the LED standard lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
On the other hand, high beams only shouldn't be THAT big a deal, and my halos will look just fine with the LED standard lights.
Exactly, it's not a design issue when it comes to the X7 since both 40i and 50i have identical iconic DRL designs - with blue element to identify Laserlight optioned headlights. Being in more rural areas would see the most benefit.

I wouldn't sweat it too much and really - the X7 is pure lux, congrats!

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, guys.

On one hand, I live in a more rural area, so I do use my high beams a lot. I also half expect there to be a coding fix in a couple of years to allow euro spec.

I think laser high beam will only be engaged when you are on the highway and speed above 35mph.
      09-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Well I’m so shallow I have no idea what the difference is, but I think the little blue insert looks super cool with the blue m sport brakes lol. Enjoy it, either way it’s nice
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
Well I’m so shallow I have no idea what the difference is, but I think the little blue insert looks super cool with the blue m sport brakes lol. Enjoy it, either way it’s nice
Here is a link to show how they work

And image shows how they look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #9
ATX512
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:

I can't be the only one.
I ordered my 2020 before I knew they would not be available. I just assumed they were still standard, as I ordered right when 2020 ordering opened. I am a little upset as well. I specifically went arctic grey with the impression the laser light blue would look good. I’m not talking about at night, but the daytime look with the blue accent. They had an arctic grey with laser lights at the dealership and it looked nice. Had I known I would have ordered white (which I’m highly regretting). Luckily I leased so I get a redo in 3 years, but still kind of annoyed I have a 90K car that I don’t like the looks of as much as I would had I ordered the color combo I now think looks best.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
Tonycwm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2018 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
I ordered my 2020 before I knew they would not be available. I just assumed they were still standard, as I ordered right when 2020 ordering opened. I am a little upset as well. I specifically went arctic grey with the impression the laser light blue would look good. I’m not talking about at night, but the daytime look with the blue accent. They had an arctic grey with laser lights at the dealership and it looked nice. Had I known I would have ordered white (which I’m highly regretting). Luckily I leased so I get a redo in 3 years, but still kind of annoyed I have a 90K car that I don’t like the looks of as much as I would had I ordered the color combo I now think looks best.
It would have been clear the laser lights weren’t on your order when you placed it. It’s not a standard option. Also, if you’re unhappy with your color or options, you don’t have to take delivery of this vehicle, start over. No one is gonna make you buy a $90k car you aren’t happy with.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Functionality wise, I agree that the tuned down lasers sren't much better than the regular LEDs in the US.

However, they look very sharp. Just like at the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTZ...ucakVA6PmMPMYg
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lasers make for an incredible high beam experience for late night/lonely highway cruising, but outside of that I can't see the benefit.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Functionality wise, I agree that the tuned down lasers sren't much better than the regular LEDs in the US.

However, they look very sharp. Just like at the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTZWBciDkI&list=LLf4p-NOmxucakVA6PmMPMYg
There is no moment in the movie that he has high beam at least I can. It see, you should have blue icon on the left above the green running lights, lasers are on only at high beam and above certain speed
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #14
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
There is no moment in the movie that he has high beam at least I can. It see, you should have blue icon on the left above the green running lights, lasers are on only at high beam and above certain speed
I was actually referring to the moment he unlocks his vehicle right at the beginning of the video. Initially, you only see the blue inserts glowing - something you obviously only get with the lasers...

as I said, it's not necessarily the functionality in the US that sets them apart from the regular LEDs - it's the blue 'cool factor' that does...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #15
ATX512
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycwm View Post
It would have been clear the laser lights weren’t on your order when you placed it. It’s not a standard option. Also, if you’re unhappy with your color or options, you don’t have to take delivery of this vehicle, start over. No one is gonna make you buy a $90k car you aren’t happy with.
I started the ordering process before the order guide even came out. I found a dealership about 60 miles away willing to give me the best deal I could find. A smaller dealership. I wasn’t going to be a jerk and not take delivery due to no fault of the dealership. Chalk it up to not being informed and I’ll do a little more research in 3 years when I get the next one..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I also live in a rural area. I need high beams as often as possible to watch for deer.

I LOVE that the beams automatically lower when cars approach, or when approaching from behind. I find the standard beams to be more than adequate. I don’t think you will have a problem with them.
Appreciate 0