BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 3rd -row sunshade problem

04-30-2024, 07:00 AM   #1
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

3rd -row sunshade problem

3-row sun shade open and won’t close! I did initialization but it didn’t help. Fuses are ok. Help need it please!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:07 AM   #2
cmicali
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

This happened to my ‘22 at 20k miles. Sunshade cartridge needed to be replaced, dealer did it under warranty and said it was a fairly common problem.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 07:45 AM   #3
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 08:44 AM   #4
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Update, my 3-rd row sunshade working again. I had to do Initialization 5 times and then it finally took off. Now it’s working.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:10 AM   #5
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro_usa View Post
Update, my 3-rd row sunshade working again. I had to do Initialization 5 times and then it finally took off. Now it’s working.
Glad to hear this!!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 03:34 PM   #6
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I had this issue after summer, perhaps early fall. I didn't worry too much since winter was approaching. I actually cut a piece of black presentation foam board to insert to act as a shade.

Long story short, after a software update I tried to initialize, just for fun, and low and behold it worked. I had that stupid warning at startup that it was malfunctioning all winter long. I assumed it was something I messed with when coding via BimmerCode.

Well, low and behold it happened again. But I was able to correct it. I literally used brute force to pull it ever so slightly from it's fully opened position. Then tried the initialization and that seemed to work.

I think it might simply be a coincidence, or perhaps, the issue is that sometimes it opens too far and gets stuck somehow.

Separately, but I fear is likely related, I think something broke (prior to my attempting to manually move), as I have also had what sounds like a pebble rattling from side to side when I take sweeping turns with enough Gs. I even checked when it was stuck open for the second time to see if that piece somehow got lodged somewhere, but that was not the case.

Glad you got your working. That warning at startup is the worst.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #7
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Yes I had that warning at startup too. Luckily I didn’t do any physical activity to my sunshade like you described but I’m afraid I’ll be doing something in some point.
What I know is that I haven’t been running that 3rd row shade much since I bought the vehicle. Maybe we just need to use that thing more often. Could be stop limit switches getting bad or motor. Now I’m going to cycle that curtain at least once a week. If it’s fails again to the point that it is dead then I’ll be taking headliner down.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 04:03 PM   #8
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro_usa View Post
Yes I had that warning at startup too. Luckily I didn’t do any physical activity to my sunshade like you described but I’m afraid I’ll be doing something in some point.
What I know is that I haven’t been running that 3rd row shade much since I bought the vehicle. Maybe we just need to use that thing more often. Could be stop limit switches getting bad or motor. Now I’m going to cycle that curtain at least once a week. If it’s fails again to the point that it is dead then I’ll be taking headliner down.
I see that you found my initial post about it. Sorry I did not see that earlier. I also re-read what I just wrote...the 6th cup of coffee appears to have kicked in.

Joking aside, I have been cycling somewhat regularly too.
Appreciate 0