BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

BMW just get on with it already and make a proper true X3M & X4M that looks bad ass!

The competition is passing you bye in this segment, time to get your game face on.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #24
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Very nice, wonder why you would need an X3M over this.
Because a true M has more guts! Have you owned or tested an M vs non M vehicle? No? Then you won't get it. Plus there are always added M only options.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #25
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Because a true M has more guts! Have you owned or tested an M vs non M vehicle? No? Then you won't get it. Plus there are always added M only options.
I actually have an M3 and M5 plus a Macan turbo to compare.but at zero to 60 of 4.6 secs, that's almost F10 M5 performance. unless your are tracking it, for everyday use you will leave 90% of cars on public roads in the dust with the M40i more than adequate for me, I am no M boy fanatic this is good enough.
Appreciate 2
SamS866.50
      09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
I actually have an M3 and M5 plus a Macan turbo to compare.but at zero to 60 of 4.6 secs, that's almost F10 M5 performance. unless your are tracking it, for everyday use you will leave 90% of cars on public roads in the dust with the M40i more than adequate for me, I am no M boy fanatic this is good enough.
Then good for you. Otherwise; just let them bring on the X3M....and yes I've had the '15 M5 and now the '17 X5M and also an X5 5.0i; the 5.0i adequate but not good enough for my taste; body roll too pronounced; seats much more supportive in the M and the list goes on; to each their own. You posed the ? After I posted; so I answered...
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      09-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #27
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Macan turbo all day long.
This is not the rival of Macan Turbo.
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      09-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #28
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Macan turbo all day long.
Like someone else said it's not a direct competitor to Macan Turbo plus the BMW is $15-25k less depending on options.
      09-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #29
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Would've been great if this motor was available with RWD. Still good tho
      09-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Like someone else said it's not a direct competitor to Macan Turbo plus the BMW is $15-25k less depending on options.
Macan GTS killer.

My local Porsche dealer has three Macan GTS, two are $85k and one is $105k. Performance wise this will hang with them, have all of the luxury fully loaded at $67k. Probably not a completely fair comparison since you can customize the Porsche to the gills, but it's just going to be more expensive overall for a similar package.

The Macan Turbo will perform a bit better but the difference will be closer to $40-60k. That's where the X3M is targeted, but it's at least a year away.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      09-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #31
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I remain puzzled how one considers the Macan in the same category as the X3, but suspect it is those who are looking more for the idea of a(n) SUV/SAV but who don't really need the load-carrying capacity as many of us require. No doubt the Macan is a great ride, but it cannot haul what I need to carry, so it has never been on our radar. The big brother of it is too large (just as we wouldn't consider the X5). All comes down to what the vehicle offers the buyer, and for us, the X3 is the sweet spot.
Appreciate 3
kozzi927.00
      09-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
BMW just get on with it already and make a proper true X3M & X4M that looks bad ass!

The competition is passing you bye in this segment, time to get your game face on.

I get that you want the X3M, but keep in mind that BMW is a company who's goal is, as it should be, to make a profit. To start with a product that will sell in extremely low volume makes no sense from a business perspective.

The X3M40i is more than enough performance for almost everybody. 4.6 seconds 0-60 for a SUV is stunning.

I've had two m-sport cars because I like the look and suspension and I don't care about power I will never use.

The X3M will come out in due time, and in the right order of priority if sales an profit are the objective and not simply pleasing forum members.

The G01 looks like an amazing platform. It will sell like crazy.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #33
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSERGEI-BY View Post
From the vid it seems girl was not impressed mutch.
Ahh, but it appears the point is being missed here. She is a member of a production team which provides online video reviews of vehicles across the manufacturing spectrum. One would not expect her to be reacting as one would on a roller-coaster ride - that would show lack of objectivity making future reviews of other Mnfr's offerings tainted by subjectivity.

What struck me about this video, and I shall grant you this is a personal reaction and may not apply to all watching such, was that I honestly started smiling at that mark in the video which I think was a gut reaction to how the sounds, speed, manueverability and all came together. Simply, 'Freude'. I suspect she must have felt a similar joy at the time, but I could be wrong as her smiling could have meant something else altogether.

But like many cultural variances with translation, it is difficult to capture the essence of what is meant in a slogan when literally translating. But I felt it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #34
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post

I get that you want the X3M, but keep in mind that BMW is a company who's goal is, as it should be, to make a profit. To start with a product that will sell in extremely low volume makes no sense from a business perspective.

The X3M40i is more than enough performance for almost everybody. 4.6 seconds 0-60 for a SUV is stunning.

I've had two m-sport cars because I like the look and suspension and I don't care about power I will never use.

The X3M will come out in due time, and in the right order of priority if sales an profit are the objective and not simply pleasing forum members.

The G01 looks like an amazing platform. It will sell like crazy.
I'm not into the X3, I much prefer and want a X4M!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #35
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Still tired of the ///M logo loosing value.

BMW has been using the m logo on Non-true M cars for many years. It looks like you just bought your amazing M3 last September. You may be tired of BMW using the m logo on m-sport cars, but it didn't seem to stop you from buying your awesome M3. I really don't understand this brand dilution thing at all. I understand that you are upset by it, I just can't figure out why it matters. You know what you've got. Everybody that knows BMW's knows the difference. Those that don't know the difference, don't know the difference anyway (profound, I know).
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      09-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #36
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
BMW has been using the m logo on Non-true M cars for many years. It looks like you just bought your amazing M3 last September. You may be tired of BMW using the m logo on m-sport cars, but it didn't seem to stop you from buying your awesome M3. I really don't understand this brand dilution thing at all. I understand that you are upset by it, I just can't figure out why it matters. You know what you've got. Everybody that knows BMW's knows the difference. Those that don't know the difference, don't know the difference anyway (profound, I know).
Well said. M Performance models with M branding is not something new and has been around for quite some time. I was informed not too long ago...

http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=78

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #37
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Track Performance vs tire size/choice - significant?

We decided to go with the standard 19" performance offering as ride comfort is a compromise for the family, but having never owned 21" tires I was wondering how much difference they make in practice? Appearance is certainly more aggressive and may improve the aesthetic, but will the same vehicle perform noticeably different in this setting with the 19" vs 20" vs 21"? Not that I'll be competing on the track, but wondering if this translates to Interstate handling as well?
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      10-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #38
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
We decided to go with the standard 19" performance offering as ride comfort is a compromise for the family, but having never owned 21" tires I was wondering how much difference they make in practice? Appearance is certainly more aggressive and may improve the aesthetic, but will the same vehicle perform noticeably different in this setting with the 19" vs 20" vs 21"? Not that I'll be competing on the track, but wondering if this translates to Interstate handling as well?
I am not an expert on tires but I recently read this article and I am thinking of sizing back down to 20s.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-tires-tested

Arrrrg.....

Make a thread Max!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #39
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

That is a very interesting, article, Kozzi - many thanks for sharing! Although performed on a different vehicle, it appears they set out to test the very question I was asking.

I think I recall from the AutoGefuhl video that these Phytonic Blue editions used at the Press Introduction in June had 21" tires, so I was wondering if the great-appearing performance in this Autophorie track run was related to that, or just the vehicle and driver skill. One would probably have to do similar studies on our X3 M40i models with the 19-21" sizes to know for sure, but I've been thinking since BMW chose the 19" performance tire as the standard for the US, that maybe was the sweet spot for performance and fuel economy in their testing?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #40
AUS1969
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I bought the 20 inch because if I want to change tires down the road there are far more options available than there are with 21. I prefer agility to a softer ride, but who knows?
Appreciate 0